• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - The Official Thread

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this after picking it up a few days ago. Awesome game, can't believe i didn't pick it up earlier.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Still playing this on and off, still getting my ass kicked on Hard mode too many times. But it's cool :D

Oh and hell yes on PS2 Ratchets, they run like shit on gimped BC PS3

netguy503

Help me GAF,

I'm having ALOT of trouble with the good Samaritan trophy (even post patch). I completed the game and I've done every mission except the "get X from a comet" mission (it's in the second world. Actually, that's false. I HAVE done that mission like 50 times but every time I go back into that world and talk to the guy it shows as unchecked on my planet for that system. This is ANNOYING me as all I need is this one and the challenge mode (which I will not start until I have all of these done unless I have to) for my plat. I know people had problems with this trophy when the game was first released but since I beat this game WAY after the patch was released I thought I would not run into this problem yet here I am. Can anyone help? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Can you do challenge mode on hard difficulty? I'm trying to get both Hard trophy and challenge mode trophy, do I have to play through the game twice for those trophies?

netguy503

Inanna said:
Can you do challenge mode on hard difficulty? I'm trying to get both Hard trophy and challenge mode trophy, do I have to play through the game twice for those trophies?

I BELIEVE you can but why didn't you play the whole game the first time on Hard if you knew you wanted the trophies just to make sure?

And, btw, I got my Samaritan trophy. It seems there are some feuding brothers in the third galaxy that I missed and you have to go to each one after another several times for a variety of missions until they wont give you missions anymore. How I worked around my glitch was that I didn't go back to the trader on the second galaxy after the comet mission so I made sure that the comet mission was check marked in my status ( my glitch happened when I would go to the trader on the same galaxy after the comet mission. I would go to talk to him and then the check marked mission would become uncheckmarked and he would ask me to do it all over again. And that KEPT HAPPENING TO ME. Weird. Maybe a bug/issue the developers could take note of if they patch this game again).

netguy503

HELP ME GAF!!!

I'm on the last three clank time puzzles and am about to give up in tears. Can I start challenge mode and then go back to these puzzles? Does it create a different save or something? Also does challenge mode ask what difficulty you want it on BEFORE the game starts!? I hear you can't change the difficulty of challenge mode AT ALL during your run through it or you will not get the trophy so just making sure. I really don't want to play it on hard again (though with a fully upgraded RYNO I guess it wont be TOO bad).

Also, if anyone can show me the BEST possible way to get through the last three time puzzles that would mean alot to me. Thanks.

Peff

What better way than this, this and this? :D

As for challenge mode, I don't think difficulty matters, so yeah, you can set it to easy (you can change the difficulty any time during your playthrough). You should be able to really rush trough it, but you have to wait until the end before you can solve the puzzles again.

netguy503

Peff said:
What better way than this, this and this? :D

As for challenge mode, I don't think difficulty matters, so yeah, you can set it to easy (you can change the difficulty any time during your playthrough). You should be able to really rush trough it, but you have to wait until the end before you can solve the puzzles again.

But, since it's a different save file (challenge mode is), can't I just load my save file at the great clock any old time I want? Is the challenge mode save file not really a new save file (as it says it is) but an "override" save file? If not, do I keep all my gold bolts are will I have to do the planets over again as well? Thanks.

Oh, and the simpler way to do the Clank time puzzles is to just have that guy do them for me.:D

Peff

Actually, yes, it's a new file, so feel free to start it whenever you want. And yep, you keep everything, which means you can easily finish the game in around three hours.

netguy503

Peff said:
Actually, yes, it's a new file, so feel free to start it whenever you want. And yep, you keep everything, which means you can easily finish the game in around three hours.

Cool- thanks very much man.:D

I was able to pick this along with The Saboteur at Gamestop for Heavy Rain and GoW3 pretty much straight up (still have a few bucks) and I started with Saboteur first and when I start this I was wondering how hard is the hard mode. I've only platinumed two games (infamous and Burnout Paradise) and thought they were fun.

If I start on hard, can I switch anytime back to normal?

KoruptData said:
I was able to pick this along with The Saboteur at Gamestop for Heavy Rain and GoW3 pretty much straight up (still have a few bucks) and I started with Saboteur first and when I start this I was wondering how hard is the hard mode. I've only platinumed two games (infamous and Burnout Paradise) and thought they were fun.

If I start on hard, can I switch anytime back to normal?

You really shouldn't have any problem with hard mode beyond a couple battles and the final boss. And like every Ratchet game if you want it to be a cake walk, just unlock the Ryno.

entremet

I just got Crack in Time and ToD from Gamefly. I can't wait to dig in, but is the online only game worth picking up. I heard that is really short and not worth it, but I'd like some feedback from those who have played it.

entrement said:
I just got Crack in Time and ToD from Gamefly. I can't wait to dig in, but is the online only game worth picking up. I heard that is really short and not worth it, but I'd like some feedback from those who have played it.

Me being a Ratchet whore I'm gonna say yes it's worth it. It's 4 to 5 hours. Has 3 difficulty settings. There's no Clank but it has a great pirate theme and it's more focused on wrench puzzles and platforming.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First images of the Series 2 action figures - these are still prototypes (Azimuth is missing his arm stripes, some changes to paints and such), but still pretty cool

C2E2133__scaled_600.jpg

Also, believe the Series 1 is getting re-released this summer as it sold out in like a week the first time. :D

TripOpt55

jstevenson said:
First images of the Series 2 action figures - these are still prototypes (Azimuth is missing his arm stripes, some changes to paints and such), but still pretty cool

C2E2133__scaled_600.jpg

Also, believe the Series 1 is getting re-released this summer as it sold out in like a week the first time. :D
The picture isn't showing up for me. I managed to get all the of the first line figures. They're pretty sweet. Looking forward to checking these out.

Edit: Okay copied the image into my browser and it worked. Azimuth, new Ratchet, Rusty Pete and the Smuggler. Cool. I still really missed Talwyn in this game though.

Also, There is a Nariko one on that site and a cool Zeus one from GoW. Pretty cool. Off-topic though obviously.

jstevenson said:

C2E2133__scaled_600.jpg

Awesome. Were can we buy these? I'm from Europe, so probably nowhere? ;(

bjYuP.jpg

Fixed.

While the thread is up I thought I would say how much I loved the game. Of the Ratchets I've played (Tools of Destruction and the first game on PS2) it's easily my favourite. The writing was great and there were some great platforming sections. I especially loved the space exploration with the planetoids and secondary missions. They kind of make me want Insomniac to make a light-hearted RPG game with similar exploration. I also loved looking for Zoni or Gold bolts while listening to the pirate or classical radio stations. One thing I really liked is how when I pressed select to view the map on a planetoid instead of going to a typical map screen the camera just pulled back and I could view the whole thing. Clank's time puzzles were great too, I would have liked some more in the main game but then again the bonus puzzles were brilliant. It's the first time I've got the RYNO and OH MY GOD it's awesome. Playing the 1812 overture while shooting was great too. The way you used tools in the environment to get around (esp. the Omnisoaker) was really well done. Also, the Insomniac museum was a really nice touch I love seeing the developer's perspective on things. I think this might be my first Platinum, I just have to to a Challenge mode playthrough and get the MBRH trophy.

One criticism I have is that I found the first part of the game as Clank kind of boring. Even though there were a lot of scripted events going on the platforming and combat was very simple so it didn't really engage me. I get that it also acted as a tutorial level but comparatively I found Metropolis in TOD to be a lot more enjoyable.

Now, would you announce Resistance 3/your next game and start up Season 4 of the Full Moon Show already?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JS you have to give away some of those awesome Clanks!
Make some kind of contest....hmhm i know i know !! Trolling Kittonwy!
So yeah, the best Gaffer trolling kittonwy for a month wins !!!

:lol

Peff

This obviously means DLC, right?
right :(?
. This new set looks great, Alistair
's face seems a bit spoilery :lol
, I like them, but I don't think they'll make it to Europe, ah well.

fake edit: oh, nice :D

Massa

Loudninja said:
This is with out a doubt the best Ratchet and Clank game I played,I mean everything is so good.

It's a fantastic game. I love the hover boots, going back to other 3D platformers now is like playing a 2D Mario without the run button.

Finally playing this.

All I can say is that I feel like Insomniac finally made enough changes to make this sequel feel fresh, which hasn't happened since Going Commando, in my opinion.

The Clank stuff is great and the Hoverboots are awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Yep. Hover boots and being able to speed around the sector map in your plane really quickly (takes like <5 seconds to get to any moon) made it a very enjoyable experience.

I wish more developers would let me speed through their games at my own pace :)

netguy503

Loudninja said:
This is with out a doubt the best Ratchet and Clank game I played,I mean everything is so good.

I agree on everything BUT that the graphics didn't WOW me the way they did in ToD and I was a little bit let down in that department. Now that's not to say they were not good ( FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR from it) and they did not backslide in any way to what ToD put out but it in no way looked like it advanced in the two year difference either. Anyway just IMHO.

wizword

Banned
Now that this thread is up I have to say I am surprised that insomniac games haven't announced a game yet. Should be soon. R&C ACIT was their best game.

wizword said:
Now that this thread is up I have to say I am surprised that insomniac games haven't announced a game yet. Should be soon. R&C ACIT was their best game.

Agreed, the overall package of A Crack In Time is the best product they've put out. While there's always a good quality represented in their games, this one was a cut above the rest. I really hope Resistance 3 is made with the same care; it certainly deserves it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
nskinnear said:
I'm sure we'll see their next game (Resistance 3) at E3.

Well based on JStevensons recent Twitter comment they are certainly knee deep in the middle of development on something...

I just played a section of one of our games at work that was so good even in rough form, I want to play it again. Totally rad, and I'm jaded
6:39 PM May 4th via TweetDeck

Jstevenson, spill the beans!!! :lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
Finally got round to buying this. Sorry for taking so long JS :D

Anyway, what can I expect? Is the demo a good indication? Is it better than Tools of Destruction? It should arrive early next week but I want to finish Heavy Rain and 10000 Uni assignments before I start.

Lightning

Banned
Dizzan said:

Anyway, what can I expect? Is the demo a good indication? Is it better than Tools of Destruction? It should arrive early next week but I want to finish Heavy Rain and 10000 Uni assignments before I start.
You can expect one awesome game.

This game, along with Uncharrted 2, were the 2 best games I played last year. I bought the CE and it was worth every penny, imo.

Pitty they took away my favorite weapons from ToD though...

Dizzan

MINI Member
Lightning said:
You can expect one awesome game.

This game, along with Uncharrted 2, were the 2 best games I played last year. I bought the CE and it was worth every penny, imo.

Pitty they took away my favorite weapons from ToD though...

Thanks. Has there been any DLC?

Peff

Dizzan said:

Anyway, what can I expect?

The usual Ratchet & Clank formula with some changes and more focus on platforming, some cool but pretty basic space exploration and combat, and good Clank segments.

Is the demo a good indication?

Yes and no. There are two levels like that, but the rest of them (and half of that very same level) aren't that open. Also, the demo doesn't let you play the awesome side planets.
Is it better than Tools of Destruction?

IMO yes. ToD was pretty good and long but it played it a bit safe. CiT is probably the best in the series.

It should arrive early next week but I want to finish Heavy Rain and 10000 Uni assignments before I start.

It'll be worth it :D

EDIT: Unfortunately, no and it doesn't seem likely in the future. Bummer :(

Bought this a while ago and have put about 10 hours in already. Great, great game. I haven't played a Ratchet game since one of the PS2 ones (I think Up Your Arsenal) and this is exactly what I needed right now. Very humorous, beautiful graphics, tight controls, colorful, super creative weapons, space combat, puzzles etc. etc. etc. I wish platformers of any kind were big enough to have more of Super Mario Galaxy, and Ratchet standards.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Peff said:
The usual Ratchet & Clank formula with some changes and more focus on platforming, some cool but pretty basic space exploration and combat, and good Clank segments.

Yes and no. There are two levels like that, but the rest of them (and half of that very same level) aren't that open. Also, the demo doesn't let you play the awesome side planets.

IMO yes. ToD was pretty good and long but it played it a bit safe. CiT is probably the best in the series.

It'll be worth it :D

EDIT: Unfortunately, no and it doesn't seem likely in the future. Bummer :(

Thanks Peff. I am even more excited for it now. I hate that I have no times for games now but it means I can buy gems like this for 1/3 of the price I would pay at launch.

ACE 1991

So what's the consensus on this title? I'm considering picking it up now that I can get it for around $30 including shipping. Tools of Destruction didn't do it for me, I simply found the game too easy to be compelling. How does a crack in time compare?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ACE 1991 said:
So what's the consensus on this title? I'm considering picking it up now that I can get it for around $30 including shipping. Tools of Destruction didn't do it for me, I simply found the game too easy to be compelling. How does a crack in time compare?
Play ACiT in hard and you're good to go.
Its longer than ToD and it has several optional missions and lots of stuff to find.

Top Bottom