• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera reflects: This place sucks. We want GAF back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for the "why are liberals ruining the world” is simply because that liberals are very poor at cleaning up their side of the house.
Ask any conservative if they approve on Nazi or Racists. You will find that virtually everyone is strongly against Nazi and Racism, no matter what CNN wants you to think.
Virtually everyone, left or right are against Nazis and Racists. There is no divide. We are all against them. Unless you are a crazy fscked up millenial or something and you actually belive 50% of the world are actual
brown shirts.

The reason for the "why are liberals ruining the world” is simply because that liberals are very poor at cleaning up their side of the house.
The left really need to come down like a hammer and crush those fuckers in the extreme left that drive the racial divide.
The extreme crazy left are not the same as you normal people leftist, but you MUST distance yourself from those crazies or else people will
equivalence yourself with those crazy fucks.

That's exactly the same thought I've had, the achilles heel of the left wing is they don't how to clean house, to tell the lunatics to fuck off.

That liberalism is so predicated on "niceness" is the problem I think, being nice is good, but it should have it's limits, some people just need to be told to fuck off, but too many have the view that if a thought is coming from the left side, it must be true or be worth taken seriously, no matter how looney it is.

I've seen it happen with friends of mine who are further to the left than I am, or who moved in that direction over time. The further left they became, the less tolerance they had for anyone who disagreed with them, which in some cases led to them starting to cut people out of their lives (on social media).

I think it's easier for people to become radicalised online than some might believe. People get caught up on a wave of self-righteousness, believing that they're "on the right side of history", so anyone who disagrees with them is wrong by default. There's no discussion to be had because the outcome has already been decided. It's religious cult-like behaviour at that point.

It's a weird mix of extreme identity politics and a desire to either be a victim, or to amplify the victimhood of other people or groups. As to why people get caught up by this, I'm not 100% sure. I think in some cases, people who start off as progressives get sucked into echo chambers and end up being radicalised. In other cases, I think it's narcissism and/or projection; shitty people can create this online persona where they're super-woke and the praise they get feels good. It absolves people of personal responsibility too; if their life is shitty, they have a boogeyman whose feet they can lay 100% of the blame at. Also, it does seem like mental illness is over-represented amongst these people. There's a lot of talk about depression, anxiety and so on, and that can obviously affect a person's thinking and view on life.

A lot of it probably does stem from people's personal lives, it's been a rough fucking decade for this country and it's made a lot of people disgruntled.

I mentioned Anthony Burch, well I know the guy went through a really ugly divorce from his wife a few years ago, that's probably got as much to do with the downturn of his personality as anything political.

pel1300

I said before I mostly post on Sherdog. What funny to me is a forum dedicated to martial arts has better discussions about video games than most video game forums. There's no witch hunts or thinly veiled advertisements. They're not screaming at each other about graphics, or dogpiling someone who doesn't like a game made by their favourite company. They don't have mental breakdowns over women in bikinis, or thinly veiled pr threads. Mostly what you see are people talking about what they're playing and things they like. So, I was thinking how come a bunch of degenerate gym rats can chat about video games without any drama, but video gamers can't go 2 minutes before they start throwing hissy fits and temper tantrums.

I post on sherdog too. I've been a member since 2002...and I love the Marryberry lounge forum. It's a better place to talk about the MCU and Star Wars the way we used to talk about it in the old days here.

The funny thing is at sherdog nearly everyone unanimously HATES The Last Jedi and people just have a good time making fun of it, no toxic arguments. The MCU discussion there is just pure fun as well, nearly everyone united and just having fun theory discussion.

Meanwhile at resetera...the recent thread about RLM Plinkett's recent The Last Jedi review caused a disastrous thread of TLJ fans getting angry and attacking RLM of being sexist....the thread got so derailed that after like 35 pages it got locked...LOL so sad.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There's a thread about right wing mobs in Germany beating up foreign looking people and many of the posts are justifying it.

Just had a quick scan - the OP is about protests in general related to a German being murdered by a Syrian and an Iraqi - the far right bits seem to be related to them inserting themselves into the protest - are you sure you're not interpreting people sympathising with the protesters rather than the nazis? I could be wrong - I've not had a chance to go through 9 pages, and I will in due course, but if you have anything you'd like to point out I'd gladly take a look.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Can we please stop calling SJWs left wing? They are FUCK ALL to do with the left. They're a parasite that latched onto the left, much as they latched onto their chosen 'special' groups, using both as a human shield. They are not the fucking left.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am a Republican and Jewish, so I might as well be Satan over there. I requested my account be closed a few months ago when things got too crazy. I don’t miss posting there. Most of the replies to interesting topics were just short hot takes repeated over and over.

ILLtown

I am a Republican and Jewish.....

ResetEra responding to this statement......

ZX0W8cF.jpg

Snoopycat

Banned
I post on sherdog too. I've been a member since 2002...and I love the Marryberry lounge forum. It's a better place to talk about the MCU and Star Wars the way we used to talk about it in the old days here.

The funny thing is at sherdog nearly everyone unanimously HATES The Last Jedi and people just have a good time making fun of it, no toxic arguments. The MCU discussion there is just pure fun as well, nearly everyone united and just having fun theory discussion.

Meanwhile at resetera...the recent thread about RLM Plinkett's recent The Last Jedi review caused a disastrous thread of TLJ fans getting angry and attacking RLM of being sexist....the thread got so derailed that after like 35 pages it got locked...LOL so sad.

We started watching that movie and when it got to the part where Princess Leia floated through space my wife called bullshit and went upstairs. I should've followed her but instead I watched the rest of that shit. I've watched all the new ones but if someone asked me what happened I couldn't tell them anything except Luke Skywalker moved to Skegness.

royox

Yeah, the mods are too strict there, and it's not as fun as oldgaf. But honestly this place is too far gone in the opposite direction.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that Brain wash. If you think gaf is filled by Nazis maybe your standard for "Nazis" is wrong.

As Obi Wan said, Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I saw that thread and got a chuckle. But then I remembered how so many of those people were probably part of the "BAN ME" wave and realized I don't give a shit and feel zero sympathy for them.

There's a thread about right wing mobs in Germany beating up foreign looking people and many of the posts are justifying it.
Justifying it doesn't mean being nazi. I mean you can understand why people would want to attack foreigner.
After all when you justify why some immigrant attacks another person you always justify it by bad social environment, unemployment and whatever.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We had a thread recently about how many Trump supporters are on GAF.
Even if we subscribe to the dumb notion of "Trump = Hitler" only 20% of GAF actually supports him. Any actual alt-right users would be a tinier fraction of that, if non-existent.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-here-is-a-trump-supporter.1465011/
More than 50% are not against him, which, for a president who prides himself in ripping families apart and ruining basic social security (health care) even beyond the terrible previous state is pretty high. If you do equal Trump with Hitler (which I don't, even though I think he is a far right populist), then 20% being in favour of him would already be pretty daming. I woud feel pretty uncomfortable in a room with 20% literal nazis.

We do have people rooting for German Neonazis rioting and using the Hitler salute because of one immigrant murderer, stating stuff like "take your country back" or people going on and on about the genetic inferiority of black people in terms of intelligence, so the original claim of "whether you feel better surrounding yourself with feminazis or actual nazis" has some validity to it. Of course it is always difficult to find the right line to draw and even though the line in terms of racism is drawn later than I can appreciate around here at the moment, I do think it is better to be too lenient than to be too strict in terms of moderation.

We know where the thread is. Cite posts.
Nobody_Important Nobody_Important did a good job in that particular thread already.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wouldn't that thread be self-selecting in who replies? I doubt this forum is entirely American, and I doubt that that thread is an accurate representation of the entire site.

As far as Resetera goes, it is an echo chamber created expressly as a safe space for snowflakes. Anybody expecting anything else hasn't been paying attention. If you don't toe the party line best keep your mouth shut over there or you'll be branded with a couple of their favorite labels and quickly banned.

I suppose if I developed diaper rash when faced with a dissenting opinion I'd want to ban anybody posting them too.

Last edited:

fantomena

Up until this thread, there has been only one thread that has been acting as a containment zone. If you choose to go in there and participate (which you have), you don’t get to complain about it later.

I can complain about it anytime I want and Ive complained about it very often in the community thread.

Hotspurr

Banned
GAF is great and all, but sometimes I feel the discussions in Off Topic or Politics are more active than the gaming forum. Or if we have gaming discussions, the most active are around political things (eg. CDPR tweets). We need more high quality posts with lots of media to get people excited more about gaming than politics.

Mahadev

I think "the crazies" are a minority. Many sane members left because it was an event. No one wanted to miss the experience.
We need (most) communities back.

I seriously doubt they're the minority anymore, that community has been infested with crazies for so long that their tactics and way of thinking has been adopted by a decent majority. But yeah, there's definitely a large number of users that sheepishly followed the rest, the problem is that if resetera implodes they'll not be the only ones arriving here and I really don't want this place changing into the negative, depressing hellhole that is resetera right now because of the aforementioned people.

appaws

Banned
I joined there when it started, just as an addition to GAF, and I lasted for a while before picking up a perma for opposing gun control. (I mean arguing in bad faith and promoting conspiracy theories) It seemed at first to be kind of chill, there was even a conservative community thread, although it quickly became a place for lefties to come in and "wow, just wow" and for "conservatives" to come in and explain all the ways they disagreed with aspects of conservatism.

I think this place has developed nicely, even with a liberal majority, into a place where you can post your honest views about stuff without fear of being banned. You may be disagreed with, but not just eliminated from the community for daring to call some sacred cow into question.

It’s not really justifying it. More like recognition that this shit will happen when real problems are ignored, basic human nature.

When you are being told that immigration is 100% amazing when it clearly isn’t, you will get an equal opposite reaction to that where someone will say immigration is 100% bad. This is why it is important to have honest debate on these topics, no matter how ugly they may be.

Drake

Who gives a shit. Fuck resetera. This place is a million times better since the mass exodus of the far left SJW's.

Sygma

Serious question, just what the fuck is these people's problem? Why are they this way?

I always think of Anthony Burch, back when he wrote for Destructoid I liked him a lot, I considered myself an actual fan of his writing, remember HAWP? But over the years he's since turned into such a stereotypical SJW shithead (and I believe he actually has nothing to do with the video game industry anymore, thank goodness)

I feel like there's a lot of once decent people who have been corrupted by this, it's like fucking invasion of the body snatchers.

Just.... why? The way gaming culture has split down the middle like this, it's bizarre, it's like "Do you remember me? how we used to be? Do you think we should be closer? (Closer! Closer!)"

I sure do miss gaming culture from around a decade ago.

Decade ago was about being morally good on about every front you can think about. it just shifted on social agendas in an age where outrage has literally been weaponized. Same persons using this as of now were the ones trying to make you feel shameful back then

F fantomena
We will move this to community when it runs its course but we're making some broad changes in the weeks ahead, and communities will 'change' slightly. Obviously this will focus purely on commnunities but the core website look and flow will be the same. It's actually not only a thread about resetera members reflection, but an opportunity to give the community here a chance to do the same.

Everything we've been doing and building here comes from an overarching roadmap/plan to basically adapt what a forum is and how it will be used in the age of social media and tools like discord. We shared some brief details in the general update thread, but the redesign and platform changes are quite fluidly linked so their priority changes.

Most of the changes we've done so far have been unobtrusive in nature (e.g. stream/achievements/likes/giveaways). The major change which was the creation of the 'politics' forum we did put out a public poll. The subforum was just one of a few options and it was the easiest to trial and roll back if it didn't work. When the redesign work is done people will see what we mean by toggles but we can't introduce massive sweeping changes at once. We have to give options and see if the community adapt or just don't use/require that functionality. But we have to do it in a way that doesn't impact or diminish the current user experience.

Believe me, we have a ton of things to get through and at the moment we're frustrated with things moving slowly but robustly. And credit to @EviLore we've had to reign back because he's had the foresight to see things like the structure change at reset having a massive detrimental impact when it's not properly thought out. It seemed very much a response to what we did here, but without any of the underlying 'plan'. And I don't say that as a criticism, just an observation and a 'lessons learned' for us here too. I also appreciate there are real people behind the software that put hours and their hearts into that project and they probably believed it was a good move. Some of the reaction has been astonishing quite frankly even across social media.

However for NeoGAF, we made a conscious decision at the start of this new opportunity to make community engagement the focus but dovetail it into the existing way the forums are used. Because what has been built the last year has been shaped by you guys, the current community. The biggest change has been the culture shift. Even now, the last few months has seen a very drastic trend of new posts, members and general activity. We're starting to see those roots take hold now.

I think ultimately though, social media is still an issue. These people speak of dogwhistles, completely unaware of their own 'yikes', 'y'all' and other online colloquialisms that are basically subversive flags akin to 'for the cause' tattoos. What was more interesting was the quick fire labelling of alt-right of the mods and members that liked the separation at reset. Sadly, this is still a prevalent smear campaign run against this site and its members which is quite damaging. But we'll continue doing what we're doing. We're fully invested in delivery of this platform, and on a large scale we believe we have a genuinely diverse, emotionally stable and politically balanced core membership. And we realise that there are a decent number of folks that left that have great depths of knowledge, and contribute huge amounts of content and we hope they do return over time. At the moment all we can do is keep building what we have planned out and to some extent we have to realise the benefit of the doubt won't be with us, so we need to show these changes and not just speak about them.

For new members though I believe we see topics not combusting here into the usual one liners and 'tow the line' attitude that takes hold. We do intercede when we feel it absolutely necessary but largely we lurk, read, manage reports, flag things to each other etc. and make sure each voice can be heard, however contrary that may run (subject to the newly drafted ToS (extreme content etc.) - to be published shortly)

That's great to hear...good modding should be silent and not really seen imo.....as long as you are following the rules and not attacking people or being an outright dick to others opinions this place will certainly evolve into something much better

Pagusas

Elden Member
I like having 2 forums to visit now. I like GAF a lot more now than a year ago, and Era is good in several ways, though I find the political opinions to be far too dishonest and hypocritical. But for game talk, both area nice.

Just had a quick scan - the OP is about protests in general related to a German being murdered by a Syrian and an Iraqi - the far right bits seem to be related to them inserting themselves into the protest - are you sure you're not interpreting people sympathising with the protesters rather than the nazis? I could be wrong - I've not had a chance to go through 9 pages, and I will in due course, but if you have anything you'd like to point out I'd gladly take a look.
The assertions that the protesters are right wing are far fetched. While I am sure some far right and Nazis were present the news has no legitimate business assuming everyone there was politically United other than their outrage. They didn't do a head count and don't know who many of those people are.

There is no justification for migrants to be murdered in retaliation.

That thread is what is wrong with the world when you believe the news editorials instead of common sense. Nuanced discussion goes out the window because the discussion has been framed in bad faith. A discussion between Two people who may hold similar opinions or be able to pursuade someone to a more balanced perspective can not take place because the other side has to go out of their way to reset the discussion to an actual argument point instead of a "gotcha, come at me bro" point.

JordanN

Banned
Decade ago was about being morally good on about every front you can think about. it just shifted on social agendas in an age where outrage has literally been weaponized. Same persons using this as of now were the ones trying to make you feel shameful back then
I remember when there was Jack Thompson coming to take away all our violent video games. At least back then, there was a lot of pushback by gamers and media alike.

But now we got serious accusations that "video games are making you sexist/racist!" and segments of the media are falling for it. Games Journalism is so politicized now when 10 years ago, all we cared about was whether a game was fun or not.

Even major game studios are getting in on the act. Naughty Dog once said diversity is now the next important thing. Really? Just make games.

Last edited:
GAF has been turning into something way better since the unhinged left. I love actually getting to read multiple different views on topics now.

Sygma

I am a Republican and Jewish, so I might as well be Satan over there. I requested my account be closed a few months ago when things got too crazy. I don’t miss posting there. Most of the replies to interesting topics were just short hot takes repeated over and over.

Oh bro I'm sure you don't, you'd be considered worthless by rocking a pyra avatar anyway

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Oh bro I'm sure you don't, you'd be considered worthless by rocking a pyra avatar anyway

Someone there once accused me of being “alt right” due to “anime avatar”, despite my avatar being a character from a recently released video game. I guess the alt right claimed Xenoblade? I don’t know much about the alt right despite being a supposed member according to ERA. :pie_sleeping:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
When you are being told that immigration is 100% amazing when it clearly isn’t, you will get an equal opposite reaction to that where someone will say immigration is 100% bad. This is why it is important to have honest debate on these topics, no matter how ugly they may be.

This is actually REALLY fucking important. Much of the trouble that exists around the topic today is because of the polarisation that exists, where in reaction to history (ie nazis etc) there is a group who will say immigrants are always good, no matter what, while you've got the likes of Nigel Farage etc who are your standard racists saying the opposite. In reality migration is a hugely complex topic.

I spent a few years living abroad, specifically in Thailand. Needless to say, I was an immigrant, and that gave me a different perspective, one which I suspect many on both extremes of the spectrum lack. Looking at the influence of my own group in a foreign country allows me to separate out racism, etc and tackle issues logically.
So what was the effect of Europeans being in the town I lived in?
- Well, property prices went up, and much of what was built was built for foreigners, not for locals. This caused a bit of a housing problem for Thais.
- Police concentrated their corruption efforts more on the foreign population, giving locals a bit of a break from shakedowns.
- Locals learned English from Europeans, meaning they had a higher standard than before, which had the potential to help many of them to work internationally in some capacity.
- A lot of local women married Western men (and let's be clear - the vast majority of the time it was for financial security for them and their families). This skewed the economy and led to some fairly obvious resentments among Thai men.
- Brits and Scandinavians tended to get drunk and get into fights. The locals did not love this.
- Brits didn't integrate. At all. They wanted cod and chips, didn't speak Thai, etc. This meant that actually, aside from the bars, their money wasn't going into the Thai economy as much as it should.

As you can see, there were positive and negative effects, and yet we cannot say the same of communities arriving into our own countries. This inability to have a grown up conversation means that the stage is cleared for extremes on both sides to set the narrative. Anyway, apologies for the sidetrack, hope it's a useful post to someone.

lifa-cobex

I'm definitely not saying everyone on GAF are Nazi sympathizers, far from it. But even if it's just 10%. I don't want to be around them.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to stumble across a true Nazi sympathiser unless they were actively looking for them.
That name has been thrown around so much these past few years, It's making people think their is one on every street corner.

The reason people use Nazi is to get a response out of you. It's something everyone knows that everyone understands to be bad. It's pandering to the lowest common denominator for the most extreme response.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
ERA likes to cut loose like someone having 2 beers instead of one. Like someone going to bed at 9:30 PM instead of 9:00 PM on a work night. Like someone saying they're kinky because one time they watched a porn with pink fluffy handcuffs.

I chuckled. Accurate.

Sygma

Someone there once accused me of being “alt right” due to “anime avatar”, despite my avatar being a character from a recently released video game. I guess the alt right claimed Xenoblade? I don’t know much about the alt right despite being a supposed member according to ERA. :pie_sleeping:

don't know either, they're just crazy

dionysus

Yaldog
That's exactly the same thought I've had, the achilles heel of the left wing is they don't how to clean house, to tell the lunatics to fuck off.

That liberalism is so predicated on "niceness" is the problem I think, being nice is good, but it should have it's limits, some people just need to be told to fuck off, but too many have the view that if a thought is coming from the left side, it must be true or be worth taken seriously, no matter how looney it is.

A lot of it probably does stem from people's personal lives, it's been a rough fucking decade for this country and it's made a lot of people disgruntled.

I mentioned Anthony Burch, well I know the guy went through a really ugly divorce from his wife a few years ago, that's probably got as much to do with the downturn of his personality as anything political.

There are many reasons. The one I personally find plays a big part in polarizing the world and enabling extreme viewpoints, on both sides, is that social media allows the formation of large communities of like minded people who have extreme views. Living in the real world moderates you, or isolates you if you have an extreme position. It used to be impossible to find 100 people or even 1 person in your town that thought, for example, that eating animals for food is the equivalent of murder. (Just to pick one extreme view.) Can you imagine in real life bringing up that opinion to everyone you meet? You would probably go 0 for 1000 in finding someone who agrees with you. Now you can just go online, google or facebook that viewpoint, and get hooked up with a like minded community and convince yourself you are on the "right side of history" and the time for debate is over.

I fear for where our society is going. Most atrocities start originally with people thinking they are on the right side of history, so any action they take is justified.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
GAF is great and all, but sometimes I feel the discussions in Off Topic or Politics are more active than the gaming forum. Or if we have gaming discussions, the most active are around political things (eg. CDPR tweets). We need more high quality posts with lots of media to get people excited more about gaming than politics.
Get to postin', then! Good content comes from good posters. I have several dud threads but a handful of them got some discussion going.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, I did not expect to see this thread this morning (who am I kidding, anyone following the events over there, we almost started a betting pool as to when it would happen).

Thanks for this, the first page alone on here is gold, now to dive into the rest. "pie_tears_joy:

Right now I'm actually sad that I'm banned. I would love to read the ban-reports.

Here you go. Based KiwiBot!

https://resetera.kiwifarms.net/hot

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
You ain’t around them anyway. You haven’t posted since October.

You came back to all us Nazi’s to tell us you don’t want to be around all us Nazi’s?

He must lurk though. Interestingly enough, the guy doesn't seem to be a big fan of Israel (dare I say, an Antisemite) and posted quite a bit in pro-Islam related threads.

So I guess to him any criticism of fellow Muslims can only mean one thing, that the ones doing it are literal Nazis. Ironically enough, actual Nazis never had a beef with the Muslim world, and had allies in the region.

Or he is a trolly alt persona. I don't really know what to think these days.

Harlock

In the current Neogaf we can have topics from left or right, like the world was before 2013. Can't ask for better outcome.

Man, I did not expect to see this thread this morning (who am I kidding, anyone following the events over there, we almost started a betting pool as to when it would happen).

Thanks for this, the first page alone on here is gold, now to dive into the rest. "pie_tears_joy:

Here you go. Based KiwiBot!

https://resetera.kiwifarms.net/hot

They take themselves way too serious. Imagine if they had actual power.

He must lurk though. Interestingly enough, the guy doesn't seem to be a big fan of Israel (dare I say, an Antisemite) and posted quite a bit in pro-Islam related threads.

So I guess to him any criticism of fellow Muslims can only mean one thing, that the ones doing it are literal Nazis. Ironically enough, actual Nazis never had a beef with the Muslim world, and had allies in the region.

Or he is a trolly alt persona. I don't really know what to think these days.
Maybe he/she doesn't know what a Nazi is :pie_thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom