• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Pachimari

In threads about shows that air weekly you don't need to spoiler tag discussion about anything that has already aired. You do need to spoiler stuff that has leaked or promos for future episodes.

Oh okay, well here's my own impressions:

I liked many parts of the finale, and I loved the show. Well done to the writers, directors, cinematographers, actors, editors, costume designers, sound mixers and the whole team. Lots of stuff happened, probably too much. The prettiest and most intense scene was definitely the ice lake one, and I would have loved it if they would have somewhat stopped the scene at right when Jason turns up, and let us speculate on that part during the break. Cheryl burning the house and their the Blossom legacy to ashes is hopefully a soft reset for her character that will lead her to be part of the core group. I also feel like they need to get Veronica out of the Josie and the Pussycats; she seem uncomfortable in that role and was strangely distant and inactive during the Jubilee.

There were so many great set ups for next season, especially Jughead being moved to the South into a new environment which I hope the writing team will stick to, and I see conflict and hardmanships taking its toll on this relationship, especially with Jug putting on the South Serpent vest. The long lost brother is a great reveal and I hope that can bring us something thrilling, and I for one hope the Cooper family will grow stronger together. My favorite character is probably Hermione and I can see her and Hiram being part of the main plot next season. Although if there is one thing I hated in this finale, it was that out of nowhere (and not really) robbery and the consequences of that. It felt like a cheap cliffhanger and should have been cut.

Last but not least, I'm glad to see Kevin getting promoted to regular, to see the new Reggie, but I want them to give Josie more to do next time, oh, and kick Valerie off the band. We also need more romance between Archie and V

jrush64

Banned
Did anyone think it was pretty cold for
Mr Blossom
to be the real killer,
like the way he just shot Jason
without any remorse.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did anyone think it was pretty cold for
Mr Blossom
to be the real killer,
like the way he just shot Jason
without any remorse.

I felt it was under developed and happens way to fast. I think thats my whole issue with this first season. Dont get me wrong, I liked it alot, but I felt everything seemed rushed. Mr Blossom barely had any development and suddenly, BAM, he's the killer, and a cold blooded one at that. I didnt feel earned or "discovered". I also hate how all charecters spilled their guts out the moment someone questions them about a secrete. "Why were you and dad argueing?" 1 scene later spilling guts out about adopted brother. "What more do you know about the murder?" 2 scenes later telling him where to find the jacket. Like wtf, did the writers just not know how to have characters keep secrets?

I also hate the magical flash drive in pocket bit. Talk about a anticlimactic end.

But the lead characters and the overall style of the show will bring me back for more, though I do wish they'd push the gold age america style more, I felt it kinda became more subtle near the end, when I feel its at its best when its in your face and beautiful. Best looking show on TV when it hits those points.

squidyj

So.... Fred Andrews was selling drugs for Cliff Blossom yeah?
Cash flow problems while keeping his guys on the payroll, talking about how the blossoms use people.

Pachimari

I'm all for Valerie getting kicked to the back. But sure, bring Josie to the forefront, she have screen presence. Who's even the third member of the Pussycats? They should her something to do as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm all for Valerie getting kicked to the back. But sure, bring Josie to the forefront, she have screen presence. Who's even the third member of the Pussycats? They should her something to do as well.

Melody, I think. I used to know this! I really liked Valerie tho. It's weird for me that she got a relationship with Archie and then would go back to having no lines, you know?

Wasn't there something with Josie's actress being caught up with other projects? Maybe Val was a stand in for her.

Melody, I think. I used to know this! I really liked Valerie tho. It's weird for me that she got a relationship with Archie and then would go back to having no lines, you know?

Wasn't there something with Josie's actress being caught up with other projects? Maybe Val was a stand in for her.

Yeah, it was fairly egregious bit of short shifting that character on the writers part. They had a quality episode (or two) together, and then you see her once or twice during the next 3-4 episodes, before she blows up at him. I don't even know why they bothered.

(and bloody hell, I hope they do focus some more on Josie. Ashleigh Murray is dope)

Permanently A

I felt it was under developed and happens way to fast. I think thats my whole issue with this first season. Dont get me wrong, I liked it alot, but I felt everything seemed rushed. Mr Blossom barely had any development and suddenly, BAM, he's the killer, and a cold blooded one at that. I didnt feel earned or "discovered". I also hate how all charecters spilled their guts out the moment someone questions them about a secrete. "Why were you and dad argueing?" 1 scene later spilling guts out about adopted brother. "What more do you know about the murder?" 2 scenes later telling him where to find the jacket. Like wtf, did the writers just not know how to have characters keep secrets?

I also hate the magical flash drive in pocket bit. Talk about a anticlimactic end.

But the lead characters and the overall style of the show will bring me back for more, though I do wish they'd push the gold age america style more, I felt it kinda became more subtle near the end, when I feel its at its best when its in your face and beautiful. Best looking show on TV when it hits those points.

Exactly how I feel about the clifford reveal. Feels like they went for shock value over anything else

Sean C

Haven't watched this show, just how Twin Peaks is it? on a high after watching FWWM.
It has some of the same camp elements, but the supernatural stuff, etc., no (not yet, anyway).

While I do think there were some availability issues with the actress, I don't think Val was used as a replacement for her. The Archie/Val relationship is something from the comics.

I do think, given how it worked out, they should perhaps have saved that for a later period rather than blow through it as quickly as they did.

H2Seeb0.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season 1 is coming to US Netflix on May 18.

The time has arrived. Looking forward to people recommending I watch this.

Also, this gif is basically perfect for E3. All it needs is the laptop being closed and it would be perfection.

giphy.gif

So yeah, this is a great show.

This was definitely more of a fallout/season 2 setup episode, but it was awesome.

- Archie's hero moment was boss. He's been bland, boring, and kinda self-absorbed all season, but it's cool to finally see how he becomes the town hero type of character he in the comics. Plus, giving him that "Bruce Wayne/Peter Parker" moment at the end (no way is Fred dead) was really inspired to propel him into the heights of drama that his friends are operating at.

- Jughead going dark side is great. Now we have Dark Betty and Snake Jones. Very intrigued how this is gonna transition into a Montague/Capulet North/South deal between those two.

- I wanna see Archie/Ronnie more fleshed out.

- Hermione, what the hell. You were good once.

- Cheryl going full-on crazy is awesome. I like how layered the character is, how she's so fucking bonkers beneath the HBIC mask.

- I'm annoyed we didn't get cult escapee Sabrina. That would have been amazing. Maybe we'll get her for Season 3 after the civil war? I'm pondering who'd be good for that. I feel like a live-action Sabrina that's also a cult escapee but also possibly has supernatural powers, it's all gotta be in the eyes. She's gotta have terrifyingly gorgeous piercing eyes.

And the pixie cut.

- Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the possibility of Betty's brother being Fred from Scooby Doo, but then doing that as Scooby Doo meets Lovecraft when throwing Sabrina into the mix.

I love that idea.

Briarios

- I'm annoyed we didn't get cult escapee Sabrina. That would have been amazing. Maybe we'll get her for Season 3 after the civil war? I'm pondering who'd be good for that. I feel like a live-action Sabrina that's also a cult escapee but also possibly has supernatural powers, it's all gotta be in the eyes. She's gotta have terrifyingly gorgeous piercing eyes.

And the pixie cut.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Dove Cameron is a great candidate for Sabrina:

dove-sab.jpg

tw1164

Is this civil war something that happens in the comics too?

I'm reading the Archie (2015) series. Only Cheryl and Veronica are fighting. It's a very different story than Riverdale. Archie is even more inept in the comic, it's a good read. You should check to see if your library uses Hoopla, you can read all the Archie comics on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh yeah, it's official, Riverdale is back in the fall (so October) and will be moving to Wednesday at 8pm, the old Arrow spot.

Feels like they're doubling down on the show. I'm wondering if they're going to do a huge Netflix push to draw viewers in, it seems to be where the success is from my own anecdotal gleanings, and their Netflix marketing is doing well in the international markets.

Not sure how many episodes it is. CW shows usually pretty casual with that kind of info. You can't happen to say can you Cole?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm always for a short episode count, but this is the one show where I'll make an exception. The amount of characters and the types of possible stories they can cover does ask for a longer season.

More episodes is definitely a good thing; allows other character roles to be expanded (Reggie/Dilton/Ethel, etc) but 22 seems like it could be a little long in the tooth. A middle ground like 17 would be perfect.

Surprised about October though. Way sooner than I would have guessed

Pachimari

Yeah I'm surprised by the early premiere date as well. I also would have wanted a 13 episode show. Hopefully they'll split up the season in arcs to try and combat filler.

Bubble

Neo Member
I'd take 13 episodes over 22 episodes. 13 episodes was just right for Riverdale, and 22 episodes might stretch things out a bit too much and include more filler.

But good to hear it starting up back in October. Thought Season 2 would come back next year, but color me surprised.

Top Bottom