• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluto

Based on Usagi's speech at the end, I really have a feeling they're going to cut
her suicide
later on :\
Good, I never liked that, it sends the wrong message.

I'm not a huge fan of this episode, it feels like barely anything happened, the pacing is usually much faster, they could have added some Venus flashbacks or something. I think this episode will work much better if it can be watched together with the last and next one, on its own it falls flat, it's basically just Sailor Moon crying and everyone remembering stuff, that's fine if I can binge episodes 8-10 but annoying when there are two weeks breaks before and after.

cj_iwakura

I'd rather watch Crystal Clear Destiny again than this, and I have the dub VHS.

The show is rapidly turning into background noise material for me.

Zoe

Good, I never liked that, it sends the wrong message.

It doesn't bother me given the context.

In theory I don't mind them changing it, but after all of the other changes they've made and failed at, I have no faith in them coming up with a good alternative.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They cut out of my favorite part of this chapter. Granted, I had a feeling they would, but it still kind of bothers me.

I'm curious too. I have a lot of the chapters out of order in my head. I know the part with
Beryl showing she loved Endymion is done later, maybe it's the suicide that everyone's talking about? Then again maybe it'll be seen in the next episode. I also recall a scene showing that Serenity and Endymion were even more intimate, with showing them in bed, but I think that's the next chapter

The Shitennou got shafted in the manga, that has always been one of my major gripes with this arc. The 90s anime did a better job with them, and PGSM did an amazing job with them.

Heh, I just think it's funny that
Nephrite became a part-timer :p I guess they were going along with the good guy thing from the original anime with that

As for the ep itself, really good!! I really can't wait for the next episode!! More flashbacks from the Moon Kingdom is what I always wanted in the anime :) The classic series had it, but never in too much depth.

Zoe

I'm curious too. I have a lot of the chapters out of order in my head. I know the part with
Beryl showing she loved Endymion is done later, maybe it's the suicide that everyone's talking about? Then again maybe it'll be seen in the next episode. I also recall a scene showing that Serenity and Endymion were even more intimate, with showing them in bed, but I think that's the next chapter

Yeah, all of that stuff comes later.

I think he's talking about when
Kunzite retreats and the others are temporarily revived. Then he takes Mamoru because of who he is, their Master

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, all of that stuff comes later.

I think he's talking about when
Kunzite retreats and the others are temporarily revived. Then he takes Mamoru because of who he is, their Master

Ohhhh ok, that I thought came later too! I think it was neat how that was done in the manga, but what they are doing in the anime... we'll see where they go with it, but I don't mind it!

Bladenic

This is how I envision you interacting with Rei:

ibfTMOY6EEOKBn.gif

Then again, given how this series has been, it seems the staff of this series shares your feelings towards Rei.

The funny part is that I like her way more here, despite being much less prominent and whatnot.

Conan-san

Sailor Moon Crystal 09

Things gets a bit sad.

Usagi regains her memories and struggles a bit with who she is, Tuxedo Mask gets taken away and the backstory about Silver Millenium also gets told.

Well, they had
Mamrou brutaly killed on screen
and that's really all I wanted to see out of this episode so yeah.

In the words of Strongbad; "Hang on The Cheat, we're taking this baby TO THE MOOOOONNNNNN!"

MikeMyers

I really enjoyed Black Moon in the manga. Hopefully Toei does it justice since it seems like we are getting it this time around.

bobawesome

So is the anime as amazing as my fangirl friend would have me believe? I watched the first episode when it first aired and didn't care much for it.

I'm quite familiar with the original series but not the manga.

cj_iwakura

So is the anime as amazing as my fangirl friend would have me believe? I watched the first episode when it first aired and didn't care much for it.

I'm quite familiar with the original series but not the manga.

Starts out strong, rapidly deteriorates once the lack of budget/effort becomes apparent and it's clear how rushed the story is.

MikeMyers

I think the manga could have spent more time characterizing the villains. Although the actual big bads themselves were awesome.

MikeMyers

Yeah this thread is mostly for discussing Crystal. The thread MikeHattsu linked to is there to discuss anything else relating to the series.

Nice Usagi avatar, by the way.

Ayumi

I found it on this twitter. Apparently its going viral in Japan. Looks like we're getting Chibiusa if this is real.

Of course we are getting Chibi Usa after a few episodes :)
First of all, it's real. Here is the official article (Japanese):
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/130761

It says "Black Moon Phase/Arc/?" and here are the details:

"Black Moon Phase" start: January 2015.
Note: this is the exact same time "Black Moon" sera myu starts in Shanghai.

It seems to be referred to as "Black Moon Version/Arc" and NOT "Season 2".
Chibiusa's first appearance was in Act 14, although that should be further away than January, but probably matches up as "Black Moon" if it's at the end of January.

There will also be a live talk show with screening on December 27th at AEONMALL Makuhari New City. They will screen the final story of the first phase (or season as some of you say) as well as the first episode of the second phase. Expect leaks. Many leaks.

Composer Yasuharu Takanashi is releasing the Sailor Moon Crystal soundtrack on December 24th.

This article was released after the Animate Girls Festival 2014 , where it all was announced so they handed out those post cards with the visual as you saw on Twitter. The rest of the text mentions the SMC seiyuu being there and talking.

Here is a photo of our lovely ladies:

wYFLmQT.jpg

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so Black Moon will be considered S2.... Hmmm I wonder what the next part of the series will be to cover the rest of the series? Sailor Moon Crystal 2? Sailor Moon Diamond?

Ayumi

Ok so Black Moon will be considered S2.... Hmmm I wonder what the next part of the series will be to cover the rest of the series? Sailor Moon Crystal 2? Sailor Moon Diamond?

Like I said (sorry, I might have edited while you were posting), 編 does not mean "season". The best way would be to refer to it as either Black Moon Phase or Black Moon Arc.
I would go with Phase.. idk, we'll have to wait for the official translation, if they give us any.

前編 = First part (also prequel)
編 = Phase/Part
後編=Second part (also sequel)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said (sorry, I might have edited while you were posting), 編 does not mean "season". The best way would be to refer to it as either Black Moon Version, Black Moon Arc. I would go with Arc based on the old original name.

Yeah it was during the edit :p

Ok, I just figured that they were considering each cour a season (which it kind of is) with each arc.

I'm not surprised they're going to the Black Moon. It's got 26 episode planned and at the rate they're going they should be finished with the Dark Kingdom Arc by episode 13.

The real question is if they'll get to the beloved Sailor Moon S stuff.

Ayumi

Wait Dark Moon? I've been calling it Black Moon my entire life, whoops.

I wonder who will voice Chibiusa?
Huh? It says Black Moon. Where are you seeing Dark Moon?
I must've missed something.

Kae is kinda old now (also it was her birthday yesterday). But she seems rather active on social media/online so she's still *out there*. Maybe she will rephrase her role? I won't be surprised if Chibiusa gets a new seiyuu though. Btw, Japanese girls LOVE Chibiusa (I bet because she's pink & small and was relatable to young girls watching it) and going all crazy over this on Twitter.

Yeah it was during the edit :p

Ok, I just figured that they were considering each cour a season (which it kind of is) with each arc.

Most people probably assumed right away because everyone were posting the picture without any info to the article. And also because of Sailor Moon R being its own season.

MikeMyers

Oh, for some reason I thought you said Dark Moon, my bad.

If they recasted Mamoru then they'll probably recast Chibiusa too. Speaking of Furuya, I have something to show, but it might be more suited for the Community thread.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that the Viz eps streaming are on R right now, I wonder how many people that are also watching Crystal will be all like "hay where's the Doom Tree??" I guess Toei originally needed filler for R and couldn't think of how to expand it?

Awwwww yea. Sailor Moon was my jams. I remember fighting with my brother because he'd always hog the TV to watch DBZ and I'd be forced to watch. Then Sailor Moon would come on and he'd start complaining. Mom would step in and force him to dealwithitdotjpg

Memories.

First of all, it's real. Here is the official article (Japanese):
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/130761

Cool.

Like I said (sorry, I might have edited while you were posting), 編 does not mean "season". The best way would be to refer to it as either Black Moon Phase or Black Moon Arc.
I would go with Phase.. idk, we'll have to wait for the official translation, if they give us any.

前編 = First part (also prequel)
編 = Phase/Part
後編=Second part (also sequel)

Don't they usually not call second seasons of anime "season 2" for some weird reason though? Always seem like they like to give second seasons some slightly changed title or add on a secondary title instead.

Ayumi

Don't they usually not call second seasons of anime "season 2" for some weird reason though? Always seem like they like to give second seasons some slightly changed title or add on a secondary title instead.

My anime knowledge isn't that high so I'm unable to answer that specific question. I do understand what you mean, and looking at various anime with more than 1 season I would think the same since most of them just have their individual name. The thing is though, Black Moon is called 「ブラック・ムーン編」 which basically means "Black Moon Phase". IMO, they wouldn't use 編 (phase/edit) in the actual name as well as calling it a season 2 if it was. It makes less sense if they did. It's kinda hard to explain/translate in English but yeah. I'm not saying it's impossible, but these are my personal thoughts. We'll just wait and see! I'll be calling it Black Moon Hen from now on until/if they release an official English name. Or just SMC: Black Moon. idk

Going by other other anime with "編" in their titles, they seem to have been translated as the Kanji reads (surprise, surprise) which is "Hen". So if they're traditional, they will probably end up officially calling it "Black Moon Hen" or Black Moon-hen". If I'm having problems translating it, I'm sure they're gonna really struggle, given how their English subtitles looked in episode 1 of Crystal. lol

Btw.. Hen. Sounds hilarious. Chickens in sailor uniforms, anyone?

ILZmzrS.png

My anime knowledge isn't that high so I'm unable to answer that specific question. I do understand what you mean, and looking at various anime with more than 1 season I would think the same since most of them just have their individual name. The thing is though, Black Moon is called 「ブラック・ムーン編」 which basically means "Black Moon Phase". IMO, they wouldn't use 編 (phase/edit) in the actual name as well as calling it a season 2 if it was. It makes less sense if they did. It's kinda hard to explain/translate in English but yeah. I'm not saying it's impossible, but these are my personal thoughts. We'll just wait and see! I'll be calling it Black Moon Hen from now on until/if they release an official English name. Or just SMC: Black Moon. idk

Going by other other anime with "編" in their titles, they seem to have been translated as the Kanji reads (surprise, surprise) which is "Hen". So if they're traditional, they will probably end up officially calling it "Black Moon Hen" or Black Moon-hen". If I'm having problems translating it, I'm sure they're gonna really struggle, given how their English subtitles looked in episode 1 of Crystal. lol

Aha. Well, we'll find out in a couple of months ;)

Ayumi

Update:

One of the official accounts tweeted today calling Black Moon a "2期" (Phase 2). I guess that answers our question.

They also updated their website, which basically contains the same text as the Natalie article.
http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/news/crystal2.php

Sometimes stuff can't be translated directly to English, but, the last sentence means that as the first phase of the story is reaching climax*, "please stay tuned" for a more and more exciting future for Sailor Moon Crystal.

(*I don't know if this is acceptable when not talking sexually.. sorry, haha.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom