• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 10:

So yea, we have reached the point where people who are only familiar with the 1990s anime series are in for a legitimate shaking as we learn the true origins of everything and the original anime series was oftentimes at best a loose interpretation of the manga that did its own thing time and again. One thing I am enjoying in the new series is just how much more dynamic the fighting is. I think even the more ardent defender of the original series would admit that most of the battles were pedestrian at best and rather subject to the bad habits of the age. Anyway, it was an alright episode but personally I have always found the origins of the Silver Millennium to be kind of drab as when you get down to it a pretty simple tale.

MikeMyers

I really like the new anime-scenes of the Shitennou flashbacks, and it looks like we are getting the ships after all. It always bothered me how easily these guys were shafted in the manga.

i3xHC4faylje4.gif

Stealing Kdash's Minako GIF because I thought it was relevant here.

Pluto

This episode was awesome, the first half was kinda slow but the second half was incredible, I loved the Shitennou regaining their memories even if it was just for a short time.

My personal theory is that the senshi were successful and did heal them at the end, they just retreated to be able to pretend they're still under Beryl's control because their primary mission is to protect Endymion, they can't do that if Beryl sees them having a reunion with the senshi, she might not try to repress their memories again, if they can be healed easily she would see them as a liability and kill them.

Sailor Moon Crystal 10

Not the only puppet then...

The visit to the moon doesn't have a lot of surprises except a sword in the stone moment, but after that it has some unexpected sad bits since I've only watched the old anime series. Guess this does make more sense than what happened in the old show.

MikeMyers

Agreed with Pluto. I don't really like exposition dumps so the first half felt slow but overall the episode was good.

Shitennou are my favorites. Also, was that Mami Koyama voicing Serenity? It sounded like her but I might be biased since I was listening to various roles of her earlier today, as I mentioned in the Community thread.

Stuart444

Wut? I thought this month was where it wasn't until next week when the next episode would air.

Welp, guess I have to find time to watch it now.

A pretty great episode, I really wasn't expecting
Serenity to kill herself with a sword
and I'm glad that apparently the reason they changed the deaths was to include the reunion of all the past lovers. It seems to fit better with the theme of the series then killing them and getting an "oh yeah they used to be our lovers..." after the fact. Loved all the action in the second half and the art this week was pretty solid way less derp faces or maybe I've just gotten used to them :X

Mr_Zombie

That was an exposition-heavy episode, wasn't it? I don't remember the original manga that much so how many episodes left there are till the great finale?

One thing I am enjoying in the new series is just how much more dynamic the fighting is.

I agree. Even though most battles are pretty short, they are dynamic and enjoyable to watch. And the most important thing is that they don't rely on a repeated animation of a single attack (I'm looking at you '90 anime). ;) You can actually see that girls can really fight (that Venus wall-run).

At this point, the thing I'm most interested in is if they do anything really interesting with the Shitennou or if their fate is simply being delayed with the same basic end result. Crystal has already demonstrated a willingness to deviate some from the manga with things such as the Shitennou's treatment so far and some characterization shifts such as Minako coming off as more of a serious, determined leader type instead of "Usagi with an idol obsession".

Zoe

I expect Minako to show her true personality before long considering one of her character sketches shows her freaking out,
probably from the sword knicking Ami's building's floor.

I expect Minako to show her true personality before long considering one of her character sketches shows her freaking out,
probably from the sword knicking Ami's building's floor.

I do hope they fix
the utterly baffling diamond situation. The complete misunderstanding of hardness is both entirely out of character for Ami and somewhat confusing giving Takeuchi was a chemistry student.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A pretty great episode, I really wasn't expecting
Serenity to kill herself with a sword
and I'm glad that apparently the reason they changed the deaths was to include the reunion of all the past lovers. It seems to fit better with the theme of the series then killing them and getting an "oh yeah they used to be our lovers..." after the fact. Loved all the action in the second half and the art this week was pretty solid way less derp faces or maybe I've just gotten used to them :X

Pretty much all this. I'm really happy they explained the love story too. Just makes SO much more sense than the manga being all like "oh that guy is dead... NEXT!!"

I like what Toei did in the Black Moon Arc as well, in compared to the manga
where it was the same with just killing them all off :/ I liked how the anime did it with they are becoming healed and redeemed.

Longest 3 week wait... Well, I'll be busy so hopefully it'll sneak up on me like this week's ep did!

MikeMyers

Oh I see.

I'm kinda curious to know why you wanted them to die. I think them sticking around is the most interesting part of this new series.

MikeMyers

I suppose my biggest gripe with the Shitennou storyline is that they are kind of bland so far. Like if it wasn't for previous adaptations I doubt anyone would really care much for them here.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose my biggest gripe with the Shitennou storyline is that they are kind of bland so far. Like if it wasn't for previous adaptations I doubt anyone would really care much for them here.

Well, Toei DID give them much more personality! But I think you're right. Part of the reason with why I like them so much, is because of how Toei fleshed them out more.

I don't think they need that much characterization for the expanded role they've been given. They were simply the four male protectors of Endyimion who fell in love with the four female protectors of Serenity. Heck you can't even really compare the original anime 4 kings to these 4 as Zoistise isn't in love with Kunzite in this version which was pretty much Zoistise's whole personality in that version.

Episode 10

There's really not much to be impressed with when it comes to the Shitennou in this adaptation. They don't all that much and personally had a lot more personality in the original.

It seems I misinterpreted what was said in the previous episode about heading to the Moon. As it seemed like the Drak Kingdom hideout had moved there for some reason. They're apparently still in D Point or at least the North Pole in this.

Next episode will at least have Tuxedo Mask doing evil stuff, shame it's three weeks away though.

MikeMyers

Yeah the Shitennou are kind of bland.

Also the good guys turning bad gets done way too many times in this franchise, but I always liked it Evil Tuxedo Mask.

Zoe

Oh I see.

I'm kinda curious to know why you wanted them to die. I think them sticking around is the most interesting part of this new series.

They can't be kept alive forever because their presence would undermine what's going on in the next arc, but there isn't much opportunity to kill them off in the next four episodes.

MikeMyers

They can't be kept alive forever because their presence would undermine what's going on in the next arc, but there isn't much opportunity to kill them off in the next four episodes.

I'd love to see Evil Endymion team up with them to fight Usagi's crew though.

Bladenic

Only halfway through so pardon if he appears in the second half but where the hell is Artemis? Took a day off?

And is it me or are the subs pretty grammatically awful this episode?

Edit: lol nope definitely not me, horrendous subs.

"RASCALS"

It's becoming more and more clear that Crystal is pretty much exclusively targeted towards those Sailor Moon fans familiar with both the manga and PGSM, while leaving pretty much anyone else out in the cold. Largely following the manga while cramming each Act into a single 20 minute episode has resulted in a sizable amount of characterization (Which wasn't exactly heavy in the manga to start with for most characters) and back story being lost. This is also not helped by the, uh, often questionable quality of the subtitles.

The most recent episode has a couple good examples. It entirely leaves out Queen Serenity explaining why the seal she placed on Queen Metalia was able to be broken in the first place and why Usagi has the potential to defeat Metalia for good this time. In regards to the Shitennou,
it fails to detail that one reason Beryl was so easily able to gain control of them was because they had allowed themselves to be corrupted in their prior lives (Granted, this should have happened in the prior episode)
. It also sorta just dumps the ships without doing much to set them up internally. Sure, if you're already familiar with the wider Sailor Moon universe this isn't surprising, but otherwise I have to think it comes out of nowhere.

Mr_Zombie

It also sorta just dumps the ships without doing much to set them up internally. Sure, if you're already familiar with the wider Sailor Moon universe this isn't surprising, but otherwise I have to think it comes out of nowhere.

There were few hints in previous episodes. During Nephrite - Jupiter confrontation Nephrite said that he has "seen that look before".
6u3qdy6.png

Also, in Venus vs Zoisite fight Venus acted as if she knew Zoisite and didn't really want to hurt him. So the revelations wasn't really thrown in completely out of nowhere, but they sure rushed things a lot in this episode, cramming in a lot of exposition.

There were few hints in previous episodes. During Nephrite - Jupiter confrontation Nephrite said that he has "seen that look before".
6u3qdy6.png

Also, in Venus vs Zoisite fight Venus acted as if she knew Zoisite and didn't really want to hurt him. So the revelations wasn't really thrown in completely out of nowhere, but they sure rushed things a lot in this episode, cramming in a lot of exposition.

The entire series feels pretty rushed, even compared to the fairly tightly packed manga. And yeah, it's not totally out of nowhere, but it's really not setup well at all. It's hard for me to completely judge it since I had prior knowledge going in, of course.

cj_iwakura

The General/Senshi relationship needed a lot more fleshing out.

Scouts-generals-draw.jpg

It's a shame how fast the show is plummeting due to how rushed it all is.

Biker19

Banned
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 10:

So yea, we have reached the point where people who are only familiar with the 1990s anime series are in for a legitimate shaking as we learn the true origins of everything and the original anime series was oftentimes at best a loose interpretation of the manga that did its own thing time and again. One thing I am enjoying in the new series is just how much more dynamic the fighting is. I think even the more ardent defender of the original series would admit that most of the battles were pedestrian at best and rather subject to the bad habits of the age. Anyway, it was an alright episode but personally I have always found the origins of the Silver Millennium to be kind of drab as when you get down to it a pretty simple tale.

I agree. And the only reason why the first 4 episodes of Crystal seemed very similar to their 4 episode counterparts in the 90's anime, is because that they're directly from the manga itself (the first 4 acts).

If anybody were to read the manga, a lot of true Sailor Moon fans would know that it would be completely different from the old anime.

Loona

The highlight of the episode to me was Naru playing the Sailor V arcade game - living Shitennou at this point would be a small change from classic canon compared to to a formerly secondary character getting and using the special training that game tends to imply.

The highlight of the episode to me was Naru playing the Sailor V arcade game - living Shitennou at this point would be a small change from classic canon compared to to a formerly secondary character getting and using the special training that game tends to imply.

Naru playing the game at this time was in the manga, though.

Stealing Kdash's Minako GIF because I thought it was relevant here.

I'm amazed that you haven't gotten any jail time from all of the gifs you've stolen from me. :p

Anyway, I saw the latest episode when it came out, but never got around to posting. I liked it. Not sure what else to say...which is probably why I didn't post before. Hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom