• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

I highly recommend the manga if you haven't read it. As you may have noticed it is a lot more plot-driven than character-driven, as opposed to the 90s anime. It definitely gets a lot better after the Dark Kingdom storyline too since I always felt like that arc in particular was rushed in the manga.

There's also the Sailor V manga, which is similar to the 90s anime in terms of tone since it is monster of the week. A live-action adaptation of the Dark Kingdom storyline was made in 2003, which is probably the closest blend of the 90s anime and manga you'll see. Also, there's the musicals too.

EDIT: Also, I noticed they seem to be removing dialogue for Rei and the other Senshi, which is a shame since I feel like it hurts their characterization.

Mr_Zombie

I read it, but it was long time ago - when it was first published in Poland, in 1997. But I don't remember a lot of stuff from it. For example I completely forgot that the "whip of love" was already in the manga; I thought it was something they added in Crystal.

I tried watching the live action adaptation, but it felt really cheap - especially costumes. Sailor scouts and shitennou looked like cosplayers :/

MikeMyers

Well, it might be a good idea to re-read the chapters alongside the new episodes to see how the story originally played out.

Yeah, the live-action has a lot of cheap production values, but the series has a lot of heart. I definitely think it has the best characterization of the series.

Ayumi

I read it, but it was long time ago - when it was first published in Poland, in 1997. But I don't remember a lot of stuff from it. For example I completely forgot that the "whip of love" was already in the manga; I thought it was something they added in Crystal.

I tried watching the live action adaptation, but it felt really cheap - especially costumes. Sailor scouts and shitennou looked like cosplayers :/

Well, it might be a good idea to re-read the chapters alongside the new episodes to see how the story originally played out.

Yeah, the live-action has a lot of cheap production values, but the series has a lot of heart. I definitely think it has the best characterization of the series.

Like MikeMyers said, it had the best characterization of the entire series. I understand what you mean by the looks (personally I think it's awesome because of the costumes/henshin) and if you prefer to watch/read something that looks very nice (aside from old quality), I suggest watching the original anime, or at least read the manga.

If you want the characters to look like themselves, watch the original anime. If you want to know the real first story, read the manga.

MikeMyers

Plus it has Jouji Shibue.

j0KsHP1mHPjM6.png

He was great as Mamoru, truly the perfect man.

Ayumi

Sorry, I forgot to add source to my soundtrack post!

I got it from the official website, sailormoon-official.com

Amalthea

Banned
That soundtrack makes me almost wish to have a CD player ready anywhere. lol

So is the Black Moon arc still part of this season/series (in the Japanese sense)? Did they just decide to continue with the story anyway instead of going on hiatus after the Dark Kingdom story?

Pluto

That soundtrack makes me almost wish to have a CD player ready anywhere. lol
Nooo, that post made me realize I don't have a CD player anymore since my laptop crapped out, I was going to preorder the soundtrack. :(

I guess I'll have to listen to it on my Blu-Ray player, they play CDs, right? I know my DVD player did.

So is the Black Moon arc still part of this season/series (in the Japanese sense)? Did they just decide to continue with the story anyway instead of going on hiatus after the Dark Kingdom story?
It's part of this season and was always planned to be, Crystal was announced as having 26 episodes from the start. The question is if it will continue after that.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And yeah, in the manga you can clearly see some goo (blood) under Luna after she was thrown by Mamoru. They really shouldn't cut this from the anime; or if they did, they should at least make Mamoru's attack look more brutal (e.g. he should kick Luna or something).

I actually wonder if they'll change it for the video releasr, since everything else has bern simplified for the online version.

I really liked the episode, no animation bothered me for once and the music was really atmospheric. The Luna throw didn't bother me either. :)

There was ONE (intentional) thing, when Mars' kicked Mamoru, I was like "Bitch! You can shoot fire, don't run up and try to kick him!" lol

Zoe

That UsaMamo picture is awesome! Thanks Ayumi!

So what do you think of Act 11 Zoe?

As for me, my opinion on this series will be solely on how they handle Black Moon. I didn't really care for Dark Kingdom here considering it already got a remade in 2003.

I think it was a good adaptation of the chapter, but the writers for this one didn't appear to communicate with the others because they completely ignored the generals and Beryl's previous appearance in front of the girls.

-
- maybe I'm biased, but there sure was a homoerotic feeling between Mamoru and Matoki ;)

Glad to know it wasn't just me ;)

Maybe it's because I recently happened to watch a few youtube clips with it, but the Luna Toss had a few random rose petals fling up, so I knew right away that it was supposed to be a really tough injury. It seems like Rose petals=blood is a thing in Japanese stuff. Maybe my logic is flawed, but it worked for me here.

I was surprised to see the full transformations. I'm wondering if they're going to stay transformed for the rest of the next two episodes. I wouldn't be surprised, and if so that could be a somewhat legit reason to take the extra time to show it off. I liked how Usagi's transformation had a different more somber song to reflect the moment.

And I can't get over how powerful they really show Usagi to be in the manga/crystal. Sailor Moon just whipping out her stick and Moon Healing Escalationing everyone in the room, and especially that part where she goes into space and heals the whole city earlier was really cool. It reminds me of the Sailor Moon Another Story RPG on the SNES and how they made Sailor Moon the main healer of the group. It's a role that I don't think is quite showed off as well in the original anime, although they still get the point across.

Personal anecdote but most of my casual anime friends who only watch the "big" shows like Kill La Kill, Attack on Titan, SAO, etc and generally like those shows are really loving Sailor Moon Crystal despite the constant wait between episodes. It's been weird to have a newer manga/anime to talk with people I know from work that isn't OP/Naruto/Bleach/Attack on Titan. Personally I've enjoyed Sailor Moon Crystal despite it derp face problem at times. While it's not going to earn a spot on my top 10 anime of the year it's certainly going to get an honorable mention for being so enjoyable.

MikeMyers

How much you like the manga's story is going to be dependent on how much you like Mamoru as a character. Since unlike the original anime which focused a good detail Usagi's friendship with the other senshi, the manga mostly focuses on Usagi's relationship with Mamoru, being that he is the mangka's favorite character.

MikeMyers

Artemis hasn't really gotten much screentime since Minako's debut. I wonder if there was a backlash considering how deep his voice is here?

Zoe

Nah, he just hasn't really had much to contribute in these past few episodes. We should be seeing more of him in the next few.

MikeMyers

Nah, he just hasn't really had much to contribute in these past few episodes. We should be seeing more of him in the next few.

Speaking of which. Of the debuts we are getting in Black Moon, the one I'm looking I'm looking forward to the most is
Diana

Cutest thing ever.

MikeMyers

Yeah some things didn't sit well with me when I first read the manga for Dark Kingdom. Takeuchi's writing didn't really win me over until Black Moon.

Bladenic

Speaking of which. Of the debuts we are getting in Black Moon, the one I'm looking I'm looking forward to the most is
Diana

Cutest thing ever.

She appears that early in the manga??

I'm excited for Pluto, I dunno why since she'll be terrible cuz it's Crystal. Is her role in the manga about the same as the OG anime?

MikeMyers

I'd say her role in manga Black Moon was bigger than it was in 90s anime Black Moon.

The 90s anime really began shafting a lot of characters after R, sadly.

MikeMyers

KDash I finally found what episode that Ami water GIF is from. Act 31.

Now to find out what the music is that plays when Makoto and Motoki are movies together.

MikeMyers

The recent episodes have been alright with the art, but the problem is that they keep removing my favorite parts and adding in scenes which cause contradictions.

If Toei manages to do justice with their Black Moon remake, then Crystal Part 2 Blu-Ray will get the purchase from me.

MikeMyers

I see.

Only two more weeks until we get Chibiusa and Setsuna's seiyuu's. I hope we get Kae Araki back, for both Chibiusa and Digimon's Hikari.

MikeMyers

2014: Year of Dark Kingdom
2015: Year of Black Moon

I cant decide if I like Black Moon or Dream the most in regards to the comic. Infinite is at the bottom though.

So how is this show ? I rewatched the first episode of the original series this summer, and man was it terrible. Is this new show any better ?

MikeMyers

It's meant to be closer to the manga than the original anime, but it doesn't really do the manga's artwork or characterization any justice in my opinion. The action scenes are easier to follow, but I guess that is a given considering the medium differences.

Zoe

To put simple: If you didn't like the original, you're probably gonna hate Crystal.

I wouldn't say that at all. The tone and characterization are completely different.

If you didn't like the manga, you're probably gonna hate Crystal.

Ayumi

I wouldn't say that at all. The tone and characterization are completely different.

If you didn't like the manga, you're probably gonna hate Crystal.

That's true, but the first episode of Crystal and the original aren't too different.

Yeah, I think so too. They were quite similar, but then things went two different ways.

I agree though, Zoe. IMO, Manga > 90s > Crystal (if I were to order those 3 only). But he did say he didn't like the original anime, so I can't imagine he will enjoy Crystal.. regardless of his manga opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom