• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

As an aside to Shard,
the implication in the manga is that the senshi except Usagi are, in fact, killed in the final battle.

To go along with this, what SHOULD have happened is
the shitennou should have rushed to Mamoru and Usagi along with the senshi. Then both groups would give up their lives to revive the two.

To go along with this, what SHOULD have happened is
the shitennou should have rushed to Mamoru and Usagi along with the senshi. Then both groups would give up their lives to revive the two.

This was what I thought the payoff was going to be but that made too much sense and we don't have time so get #REKT!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I hate what they did with the Shitenou, they get their memories back and then they're instantly killed off ... why? Why keep them around just to kill them off like this, they get their memories back, want to help their master and *boom* dead. That was horrible and an awful way to treat those characters and the four guardian soldiers, *no, they're dead waaahh ... okay, let's get over it and help Sailor Moon save her love*, screw that!

Yeahhhh that was bad. I assumed that they would head over to Mamaru and either be killed by him or something :/ Not just BOOM obliterated -_- To be honest, at first I was like "wait, did they die or just get transported? 0_o"

Ouch the budget really killed this episode, felt like they should have split this into two and given the 4 kings more screen time... instead of repeating the "oh we got our memories back" bit only to instantly obliterate them... :|

It's not a huge complaint especially not when compared to the animation/art nightmare, the actual story beats worked fairly well, just ugh hopefully they fix the crap out of this in the blu-ray. Mamo's Mr Fantastic arm was especially hilarious/bad

UberTag

This week's episode was hot garbage.
Like they should have seriously not even bothered redoing the anime if they were going to cheap out on the budget the way they have here.

What a terrible disappointment.
This is making me nostalgic for Sailor Stars... and I HATE Sailor Stars.

MikeMyers

Like they should have seriously not even bothered redoing the anime if they were going to cheap out on the budget the way they have here.

The Nehelenia part of Stars was awesome imo. I'd take that over Crystal.

The original anime was incredibly cheap too, when you spend several minutes each week doing recycled attack and transformation animation your limited budget can go towards making everything else look half way decent. Crystal for better or worse isn't doing any stock animation outside of the transformations which this episode didn't even have that.

MikeMyers

Actually, is this the first time we ever see Usagi defeat Queen Beryl?

Didn't do it in manga or PGSM.

Mamoru technically did the job in the original anime, Usagi just took out Materia Beryl.

Zoe

The budget wasn't the issue with this episode. It was all writing.

The budget wasn't the issue with this episode. It was all writing.

Outside of the handling of the 4 kings the writing was fine, say what you want usagi killing beryl...'s necklace really wasn't that terrible of a change and something you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. The awful animation is something anyone can notice and it further accents the strange writing choices

Zoe

Outside of the handling of the 4 kings the writing was fine, say what you want usagi killing beryl...'s necklace really wasn't that terrible of a change and something you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. The awful animation is something anyone can notice and it further accents the strange writing choices

The emphasis on Usagi being strong and no longer being a "tragic princess" made her suicide laughable.

Sailor Moon Crystal 12

vcNSCxR.jpg

Stalker alert.

Kinda felt sorry for Beryl though. Other than that, lots of character die and Usagi wields a sword which doesn't turn out very well in the end :p

Ayumi

How would one go about ordering these if they live in America? Also are those other sailor moon pens on the site releasing near them? I can't read Japanese and for some reason it won't translate but I know someone who would adore these.

You have to pre-order, and that website doesn't ship outside of Japan so you need to use a deputy/proxy service.

Pluto

So Aurora Peachy watched Act 12 and she hated the way the Shitenou died just much as I did, she actually paused the episode and ranted for a few minutes.

What I wanted to ask,mdo some of you watch people reacting to the show? I watch the reactions of Peachy, Omar and Spunky Bunny & Sailor Boy every week, it's fun to see people reacting to stuff while it's happening. Reading opinions is great too but there's just something special about spontaneous reactions.

Ayumi

^ Things I learned from that video:

- I still hate any kind of "reacts to" video.
- The subtitles are still shitty and inaccurate
- RIP Crystal (officially dropped)

^ Things I learned from that video:

- I still hate any kind of "reacts to" video.
- The subtitles are still shitty and inaccurate
- RIP Crystal (officially dropped)

Yeah, I have to say that when I, someone with bare bones knowledge of a few Japanese words and phrases picked up from subbed anime and from here and there, can still pick up that some subtitles are rather questionable then there's a problem.

Pluto

Reaction videos always feel forced to me, but I'll check that out when I get the chance.
Keep in mind that Aurora Peachy is very emotional which can annoy some people but I thought her reaction to the death scene was awesome, primarily because it mirrored mine.

I agree that it's a little forced, reactors obviously play it up for the camera but otherwise they'd probably be silently watching except for the really big moments, while it's not exactly the same reactions they'd have without a camera present I still think it's spontaneous and that makes it worth it for me, they don't have the time to reflect on what happened, they can't take a look at the manga to quickly check what was changed etc.

I'm genuinely surpised no one seems to like those videos, I thought they'd be more popular.

CarJeter

Neo Member
Keep in mind that Aurora Peachy is very emotional which can annoy some people but I thought her reaction to the death scene was awesome, primarily because it mirrored mine.

I agree that it's a little forced, reactors obviously play it up for the camera but otherwise they'd probably be silently watching except for the really big moments, while it's not exactly the same reactions they'd have without a camera present I still think it's spontaneous and that makes it worth it for me, they don't have the time to reflect on what happened, they can't take a look at the manga to quickly check what was changed etc.

I'm genuinely surpised no one seems to like those videos, I thought they'd be more popular.

I love those reaction vids.

Of course its a bit forced, what would be the point of an entertaining reaction video if the person just sits there and the only thing moving there are their eyes. Thats why I also love Blind Lets Plays, seeing (or hearing) the raw reaction to my fave moments intrigues me.

Its weird because I know so many irl friends who really enjoy Crystal then I go online and everyone hates it :|

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's extremely disappointing. Between this and the Viz "remaster" it's a dark time for animated Sailor Moon, at least in the English speaking world.

Ayumi

So..

Chibiusa: Misato Fukuen
Sailor Pluto: Ai Maeda

Of course, both Precure related.

Good night, sweet Kae Prince. :<

Zoe

Trailer confirms one thing some people have been dreading:
the three are still gonna get captured :lol

MikeMyers

Saturn isn't even in this version.

Sadly, Jet Wolf refuses to watch S2 of Crystal since she hated S1.

Trailer confirms one thing some people have been dreading:
the three are still gonna get captured :lol

People wanted otherwise? It'd be hard to work around that.

Bladenic

Well to be fair, it does feel like Crystal is shafting the Inners, and I'm comparing it to the manga not the 90s anime.

Well, I guess Venus won't.

Not a fan of the above mentioned plot point, but I hate the Stars part even more where
Jupiter and Mercury get killed off WAY before Mars and Venus.

My poor fave Jupiter, always been shit on.

Anyway the trailer actually looks pretty good. Pluto looks good and sounds good. Don't care about Chibishit but maybe this adaptation will turn her around for me?

Also I LOVE how they closed the trailer by showing us that yes, reused stock animation will definitely be around for Crystal.

MikeMyers

Well, I guess Venus won't.

Not a fan of the above mentioned plot point, but I hate the Stars part even more where
Jupiter and Mercury get killed off WAY before Mars and Venus.

My poor fave Jupiter, always been shit on.

Anyway the trailer actually looks pretty good. Pluto looks good and sounds good. Don't care about Chibishit but maybe this adaptation will turn her around for me?

Also I LOVE how they closed the trailer by showing us that yes, reused stock animation will definitely be around for Crystal.
Yeah, that Stars plot line really felt like the Black Moon plot line again. Not to mention OOC behavior for Mamoru, although the anime had a lot more OOC behavior, and not just for Mamoru.

It seems like when you sit down and think about it sailor moon in almost any version has a lot of problems in its story and how it handles it's characters.

MikeMyers

I don't think the manga has much OOC behavior except Mamoru in the last arc (which is funny considering he is Takeuchi's favorite), but the 90s anime went off the rails in S with its characterization and had no problems sacrificing it for comedy's sake.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized the next ep will be out this week. I can't remember the schedule, but this is the finale for S1, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom