• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

A YouTuber I like brought up the idea of Crystal possibly containing a canon kiss between Uranus and Neptune, I'd love for this to happen.

Pluto

*Opening Song: In Love with the New Moon performed by Etsuko Yakushimaru (the good sis who also performed Otome No Policy for the 20th Anniversary Album)
That cover was the most annyoing song on the album, that woman has no voice, she doesn't sing, she just breathes really loud. She sucks! The new opening sucks! I already hate it!

I'm drunk ...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZXIdwFox4
ED1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIfPZSorwA
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIZe_TYRho
EP1 cuts from a screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXZP-_UqR8

6ee52b0a9a6f501612a5164e49613a7f.jpg

Bladenic

Seems like they might be resorting to stock footage for attacks almost, hope it's just trailer stuff and they won't. Not that they didn't reuse for S1/2 too.

Mr_Zombie

The new OP song is kind of meh and I can't get over how anorectic Chibiusa and Hotaru look in that shot where they lie naked in fetal position; but goddamn, did they fix the animation and the art style. :O

Seems like they might be resorting to stock footage for attacks almost, hope it's just trailer stuff and they won't. Not that they didn't reuse for S1/2 too.

Uh, stock animation for transformations and attacks is a staple of magical girl anime. The original Sailor Moon used them as well. If they look good (and they look pretty good here), that's what matters.

Bladenic

Uh, stock animation for transformations and attacks is a staple of magical girl anime. The original Sailor Moon used them as well. If they look good (and they look pretty good here), that's what matters.

I know that. But in S1/2 there was a clear effort to not rely solely on stock footage for attacks at least, making the action scenes a bit more dynamic. I have no problem with it either way.

Pluto

I know that. But in S1/2 there was a clear effort to not rely solely on stock footage for attacks at least, making the action scenes a bit more dynamic. I have no problem with it either way.
I liked the non stock footage fights but if using stock footage helps improving the quality of other parts of the animation I'm fine with it.

yunbuns

Honestly I love this new OP. Not as in your face as Moon Pride was but it has really grown on me. I think I might preorder the single. Also the first thing I thought about when I saw Hotaru and Chibiusa was this:

tumblr_inline_n9asqgpAcw1qd2lvk.jpg

Bladenic

Since they confirmed 13 episodes. If the first story act is split in 2, I wonder how the rest will play out. And I guess no international streaming? I feel like they would've announced that by now, but hopefully they're just keeping it a surprise.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Since they confirmed 13 episodes. If the first story act is split in 2, I wonder how the rest will play out. And I guess no international streaming? I feel like they would've announced that by now, but hopefully they're just keeping it a surprise.

Web distribution was a mistake

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
First ep up in just over 13 hours! Feels so sudden... I'm surprised that CR doesn't have a temp episode page up yet saying that it's starting soon.

Pluto

When will it be released exactly? I checked hulu but it doesn't say. :( I guess it'll be shortly after the episode aired in Japan?

Pluto

The episode should air soon in Japan, it's already evening there, I think I'll just refresh every hour, should be doable.

muteki

I only got through half of "season 1" but definitely might pick up now that they are doing my favorite part of the OG.

Pluto

I only got through half of "season 1" but definitely might pick up now that they are doing my favorite part of the OG.
The Black Moon arc was much better than Dark Kingdom, it's definitely worth watching. :)

I watched act 27, I loved that it was only half a chapter, the pacing was so much better than before, there was tons of character interaction and funny moments but quite a lot of time was spend on reintroducing everyone, on showing off the transformations etc., so without that an entire chapter per epside can still work.
I'm still not a fan of the theme song and the new bgm, the ending is very good though

Next week: Act ... 27, I think that will confuse some people. I like that the act numbers will still line up with the manga but I think they should have varied the titles a bit more because

Act 27 Mugen 1 Premonition 1st part

and

Act 27 Mugen 1 Premonition 2nd part

are maybe a bit too similar.

Bladenic

I may be overreacting but I think that episode was better than all of Crystal. Toei may have actually done, turned Crystal around. Hope they keep the quality up.

ShyMel

Thanks for posting the CR link. The site didn't have a countdown for it yesterday, so I wasn't sure when it would go up. Will watch it when I get home.

Mr_Zombie

Wow, that was such an improvement over the last two seasons:

- the art and animation is really good; profiles sometimes look weird (faces seem narrow), but other than that there's nothing really to complain about
- there are funny scenes that doesn't look forced and out of place
- there are banters between girls, they have personalities again and they finally don't look/act like a fifth wheel anymore - girls actually did something meaningful in this episode (they fought and defeated the monster without Usagi's help) :O
- good pacing; not trying to cram the entire chapter into one episode was a great decision, especially since there's a lot of characters' reintroductions in this episode
- no crappy CGI, all transformations are now hand drawn :D

From the cons, though:
- I miss Moon Pride, the new opening is pretty meh :/
- I liked how in Season 1 and 2 they rarely used stock attack animations and instead made the fights look more natural and fluent; not the case here.

I just hope the whole season maintains this level of quality.

Also, should Umino and Naru know about Usagi and girls being Sailor Scouts? Because there's a scene where Mamoru tells Usagi (before she transforms) that he will take care of Naru and Umino so that they could fight the monster. And both Naru and Umino were right beside him, hearing all that.

And about this:
Guess they're not going to bother making Haruka look like a man.

Haruka still looks like a man and is referred as "he" (even by Mitchiru).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It shows at 11pm JST, so that's pretty fast.

That feels pretty late for this kind of show in Japan. Unless maybe it was a cheap slot to air in, I would've expected something more primetime (unless One Piece etc steals all those slots).

Lol at it not being available in Europe, awesome. And they wonder why people pirate these things, sheesh.

Does anyone there even have the rights to it? Going through different countries with different language standards etc and it's never surprised me why it's hard to license games/anime in EU. Should it be this way? Heck no! Hopefully in the future guards will be dropped on these kinda things.

SaintZ

Also, should Umino and Naru know about Usagi and girls being Sailor Scouts? Because there's a scene where Mamoru tells Usagi (before she transforms) that he will take care of Naru and Umino so that they could fight the monster. And both Naru and Umino were right beside him, hearing all that.
I caught this as well but watched like 5 episodes of the first two seasons so I thought "maybe they know by now?". The girls also transformed with people around in the middle of the street?

Aside from that I really liked the episode. I too miss Moon Pride but I feel the new song will grow on me. Perched for Hotaru-chan's proper introduction *.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom