• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE Officially Announces 40GB PS3 for 399, lowers 60GB Starter Pack price to 499

[Nintex]

oo Kosma oo said:
Don't worry I'm in the same boat, but there are plenty of 60gb's still out here in the Netherlands.

What I would do if I were you is call Dixons/Dynabyte/E-Plaza tomorrow and RESERVE a 60gb over the phone. Then just pick it on Wednesday when the price drops. I did it too (it's not really pre-ordering when it's already out is it?) today to be sure I got the 60gb on Wednesday.
The price already dropped, I was at intertoys sunday and they already sell the 60GB Starters Pack for 499 and you can pre-order the 40GB version for 399.

Kosma

Banned
[Nintex] said:
The price already dropped, I was at intertoys sunday and they already sell the 60GB Starters Pack for 499 and you can pre-order the 40GB version for 399.

I was in Intertoys today and they still had the 599 price wtf.

I'll have to buy it at my own store though to get some extra discount :p

I dont know if its old but...

Sony to discontinue 60GB PlayStation 3 in Europe

Europe will only have access to 40GB model once stock has sold out

Sony has announced that once the current stock of 60GB PlayStation 3's has sold out, European regions will only have access to the newly introduced 40GB model.

The shock decision comes after Sony Europe announced a price cut for the 60GB model to GBP 349 / EUR 499, which the company said was in response to consumer feedback.

The company also unveiled a 40GB PlayStation 3 due to go on sale this Wednesday, but gave no indication at the time that the 60GB model would be discontinued.

"Our offering in the UK market place for Christmas are the two SKU's announced on Friday, but as the 60GB stock is depleted the GBP 299 40GB SKU will be the only version available going forward," said a spokesperson for SCEE

Sony has already phased out the 60GB model in North America, where an 80GB unit sells for USD 599 with a copy of MotorStorm.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29340

[Nintex]

oo Kosma oo said:
I was in Intertoys today and they still had the 599 price wtf.

I'll have to buy it at my own store though to get some extra discount :p
Strange, here in Noordwijk it's already 499.

Sony made a smart move,
Get the 60GB while its hot, after those are sold out they offer a cheap alternative. I think that their supply will last longer than we all expect. 499, 2 controllers+2 games is a great deal, and Sony knows it.

Kosma

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Strange, here in Noordwijk it's already 499.

Well here in Katwijk....hello neighbour!

Dammit, now that you told me this I don't know if I'll be able to hold out till Wednesday. I must though as I could get the Starter Pack for 435 where I work.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
neptunes said:
Now that kutaragi is gone, I don't think for a second that they'll use their own in house cpu.

Chip design and chip manufacturing are two VERY different beasts: IMG Tech.'s PowerVR unit would not be alive to this day and they do have competitive products in development.

Take ARM for the another example in the mobile space: very successful and they do not own their fabs.

Every MAJOR component will probably farmed out to companies who are specialized in certain fields (IBM for CPU, ATI/Nvidia GPU etc...)

Like Toshiba and IBM who are partners in the CELL project in the STI joint-venture ;).

Sony does have expertise in the field, it was costing them way too much to have SCE operate in the advanced semiconductor manufacturing arena while they will move to a more fab-less model for the future.

Me likey

pes.jpg

Christopher

Options that you have incase you want to play a Playstation 2 title:

Playstation 2 console
Playstation 2 slim
Playstation 3 60 GB
Playstation 3 20 GB
Playstation 3 80 GB
PSX Home Console Entertainment System

People who want to play Playstation 3 titles are off put by the price - I don't see why if you're "upgrading" to next generation why you would want to play Playstation 2 titles regardless, and if you did it's not like you didn't have fucking 6 options to do so.

When I had a SNES I couldn't play NES titles, but god forbid if I wanted to I had to drag it out and plug it in...oh the horror.

I mean real talk - it's a lower price for a reason, plus you have plenty of options if you want to play Playstation 2 titles.

I don't see the big deal, some people just want to play Playstation 3 games without the added price/fluff.

Now if they didn't force Blu Ray...but that's another story.

tanod

when is my burrito
neptunes said:
Now that kutaragi is gone, I don't think for a second that they'll use their own in house cpu.

I requires too much R&D and takes resources away from what could be used for something else.

Every MAJOR component will probably farmed out to companies who are specialized in certain fields (IBM for CPU, ATI/Nvidia GPU etc...)

edit: then again they could still stick with the cell next-gen, so I don't know.

Kutaragi's cell design is infinitely scaleable. They can throw more memory and an updated GPU in the PS4 and call it good. Basically no additional R&D money necessary.

MMaRsu

Banned
Man I can't believe this shit. I want a Ps3 with BC, but can't afford one right now. Why the fuck are they fasing out the 60gb version in Europe???? That's some serious bullshit.

MMaRsu said:
Man I can't believe this shit. I want a Ps3 with BC, but can't afford one right now. Why the fuck are they fasing out the 60gb version in Europe???? That's some serious bullshit.

Welcome to next gen.

tanod

when is my burrito
I think they're really fucking up by dropping the backward compatability altogether. People have large PS2 collections. Last couple of times I was in Best Buy I heard a blueshirt talking to a couple of prospective PS3 buyers and while they didn't have many questions they both asked if it was compatible with all their old PS2 games.

When the 40gb model hits stores (and inevitably becomes the lead SKU) PS3 will be the only current-gen console not compatible with its predecessor.

Why do the media-types feel the need to internalize some supposed widespread consumer outrage that isn't actually there?

Did these people throw a fit and say they were going to write letters to Sony telling them how disappointed they were that the PS3 would not be compatible with PS2 games and then tell all their friends not to buy one because Sony promised them BC?

DiddyBop

neptunes said:
it already is
huh? since when does the 360 retail for 350 in canada? it still retails for 400 and i doubt MS wants the 360 at the same price as the ps3 since that instantly makes the 360 more expensive as most ppl will buy live for 50 bucks.

Truespeed

beermonkey@tehbias said:
SACD elimination is probably about avoiding paying the SACD license fee. Yeah, it's money paid to another Sony division, but it still reduces their costs. Remember, each division is accountable for their own costs no matter who they are paying them to.

It kind of bums me out because I figured as they went to 65nm and 45nm that the system would become truly silent, which makes it even more appropriate as a movie and music player.

So Sony eliminated SACD to prevent paying licensing fees to Sony?

Truespeed

How can this be? Man God guaranteed 40GB BC. Man God even said we should shut up and stop talking about this rumor. How could Man God have been so wrong?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Truespeed said:
How can this be? Man God guaranteed 40GB BC. Man God even said we should shut up and stop talking about this rumor. How could Man God have been so wrong?

The Mangod was unfortunately misinformed...
Sad day indeed.

Truespeed

tanod said:
Why do the media-types feel the need to internalize some supposed widespread consumer outrage that isn't actually there?

Did these people throw a fit and say they were going to write letters to Sony telling them how disappointed they were that the PS3 would not be compatible with PS2 games and then tell all their friends not to buy one because Sony promised them BC?

Because they're no different from mainstream media that capitalize on negative stories. Negativity sells and they'll blow anything out of proportion to magnify the perceived negativity.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Truespeed said:

Everyone makes mistakes.

Truespeed

Since Sony has stated they'll be using the BC savings to fund more games does this mean we'll start seeing more games that use cutting edge double buffer technology?

JCBossman

Banned
Mangod isn't batting so well this gen.
WOW, as i said before, there is soon to be NO PS3's with access to the thousands of PS2 titles, I wonder if the trade in value will increase on the PS2?

inner-G

Banned
Truespeed said:

Man God is (at most) half man, so he makes half mistakes.

There is a 40GB, but there is no b/c.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
123rl said:
Is that real or is it a mock-up?
Definitely a fake.

JCBossman said:
WOW, as i said before, there is soon to be NO PS3's with access to the thousands of PS2 titles, I wonder if the trade in value will increase on the PS2?

Joke post?

If not:
1517668491_3f683a7ac8_o.gif

Raist

Banned
JCBossman said:

You're awesome :lol

JCBossman said:
Mangod isn't batting so well this gen.

Could they ever make like a magical upscaling PS2 Slim? Is something like that even possible?

tanod

when is my burrito
Opus Angelorum said:
Could explain his departure.

Well, Sony still needs a replacement for Dave Karraker. That Sega guy was for a newly created position.

I'm pretty sure it was MacDonald who is leaving though unless it's all some "elaborate" ruse to throw people off.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Raist said:
Why put a scaling chip in PS2's when HDTV's have one ?

You couldn't possibly be saying that an HDTV would scale better than the emulation would......could you? It's already a small percentage of people that own HDTVs, but you want to make it even smaller by saying those that have a pretty good scaler in them. For shame.....FOR SHAME :lol

EDIT: Let me add, I don't care if the 40GB has BC or not. I've never used on my 360, PS3, OR Wii. Some people just can't let go of the past. :lol

MoxManiac

Kaako said:
Definitely a fake.

Joke post?

If not:
1517668491_3f683a7ac8_o.gif

God RE5 looks so fucking amazing.

On the subject of HDTVs, I'd imagine the percentage of people who have HDTVs with scalers good enough to outperform scaling by the console is fairly low...

Squeak

neptunes said:
I wouldn't expect ps3 backwards compatibility in the next Playstation itself.

Unless the cell cpu becomes dirt cheap around that time, or they'll find a way to emulate the cell with the cpu they decide to use. both of which seem unlikely IMO.
That's part of the genius of Cell. It's extremely scaleable.
Need more power? Just throw in some more SPUs.
In the future is will just be matter of putting a Cell with more and newer SPUs in PS4, and thanks to the way SPUs works, they will be able to run old code without a hitch.
Cell was really a long term investment, not just a powertrip for Kutaragi.

With the GPU they could chose to work with nVidia again, or they could do full software emulation on another Cell dedicated to graphics.

Raist

Banned
squatingyeti said:
You couldn't possibly be saying that an HDTV would scale better than the emulation would......could you? It's already a small percentage of people that own HDTVs, but you want to make it even smaller by saying those that have a pretty good scaler in them. For shame.....FOR SHAME :lol

EDIT: Let me add, I don't care if the 40GB has BC or not. I've never used on my 360, PS3, OR Wii. Some people just can't let go of the past. :lol

So... only a few percentage of people own an HDTV ?
Why would scaling be a problem then. They don't need it, they just need a PS2 to play PS2 games.

And the point was "couldn't they make a PS2 upscale its own game". Except putting a scaling chip in it, I don't see how they'd do this. And if they did, it would probably be a poor one, unless they want to make the PS2's price skyrocket.
Try to read what people actually write.

mepaco

Raist said:
So... only a few percentage of people own an HDTV ?
Why would scaling be a problem then. They don't need it, they just need a PS2 to play PS2 games.

And the point was "couldn't they make a PS2 upscale its own game". Except putting a scaling chip in it, I don't see how they'd do this. And if they did, it would probably be a poor one, unless they want to make the PS2's price skyrocket.
Try to read what people actually write.

I think the general point is that TV scalers are usually poor. Out of the 7 people I know who have HDTVs (including myself), only 1 has a unit with a decent scaler. That job is much better left to the console.

EDIT: You have also made this point several times in reference to the PS3s BC, telling them that upscaling isn't a good reason since HDTVs can do it.

Raist

Banned
mepaco said:
I think the general point is that TV scalers are usually poor. Out of the 7 people I know who have HDTVs (including myself), only 1 has a unit with a decent scaler. That job is much better left to the console.

Well, we don't even know how the PS3 scales exactly, just that it certainly does not render natively at higher resolutions. Is it a dedicated scaler chip ? The Cell ? The rumored Super Companion Chip ?

Still, I'm not sure either it's really that much better when it comes from the PS3. I've seen about as much people saying that it didn't really make games look better on their TVs than people saying it improved a lot. (and I'm speaking of scaling alone, not using the smooth option).

Anyway, point was that I only replied to someone who asked for an upscaling solution for the PS2.

edit : and yes, I've already made this point. Then again, do you really think the average joe would spot the difference between a game upscaled via his TV, or his console ? Certainly not.

And if said people can afford an HDTV, I guess they can afford a BC enabled PS3 instead of a 40GB, can't they ?

Squeak

AAK said:
I never said that it wasn't discontinued. If you read my post I said "in store" not "in production". My point is, is that there still is plenty of BC PS3's in Europe for the minority of european GAFer's that continuously bitch in this thread... where the price was reduced for it as well.
The points (and this really shouldn't need pointing out, but since you insist on being dense...) is:
1: We don't want to be pressured into buying a PS3 now, just because Sony are morons.
2: This is bad for Sony and the Playstation brand as such, past, present and future. All the investment we as consumers have made in the line is now spat upon, without any apologies. A practice that is only known in the videogame industry.

It's much much nicer to be able to play your old games on a fresh new reliable machine with upscaling, filters and a new wireless joypad.
Also, not having one more box under the TV is something everyone welcomes.

Also not having SACD is the last drop.
Personally (what little that means) I'm not getting a PS3 until they've reinstated all the missing features in a new less expensive model.
I'm not going to be pressured, and I'm not going to tolerate getting a severely cut down machine, for not so much less money.

The logic of production should ensure that they would be able to do a sizable pricecut about now, without any compromises.

Top Bottom