• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. DLC Thread 2: Super Smash Bros Special Broadcast Coming in December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raitaro

Are they ever going to patch in stage hazard/NPC toggle so the stage roster can not suck?

It must be stuck in the infamous Nintendo queue of "so obvious and desired that we won't do them" DLC/updates, together with playable Octolings and a co-op vs enemies mode for Splatoon, slopes and more level themes, enemies and a playable Luigi for Super Mario Maker and more maps/course for Nintendo Land.

Sigh...now I've made myself a bit sad actually...

Jawmuncher

Snake has to be in as last dlc character

Get all the dlc character codecs

HD Sneaking suit from MGS Legacy

Would be cool if Snake coming back would be a big deal once again, and not just a quick port over. But i'll take quick over nothing like I keep saying.

Two Words

Characters not being able to use "realistic weapons" like guns and knives is one of the last remaining "rules" for Sakurai to break.

Neiteio basically already covered my list from the Cloud thread, but some of you might remember this:

New rule that will probably be broken: characters with an upcoming game, or an upcoming series, are given priority over retro characters.

New rules that have been broken since the release of Smash 4:
1. Sakurai won't make any Smash DLC.

2. Mewtwo will be the only character DLC.

That really only leaves us with two of the original "rules" left: that characters can't use realistic weapons and characters must originate from a video game.

I say it's only a matter of time.
Snake used realistic weapons.

Jawmuncher

UWyMbcZ.jpg

The way Sakurai said to watch the Direct to find out how they got Cloud into Smash makes me believe he's the ballot character. Why would they need to explain why a character got into Smash? It's interesting, certainly, but not something you advertise a Direct over.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It would really hype me if they gave all the new characters alt moves. Haven't kept up with competitive play but I assume (some?) tournaments allow them?

It would really hype me if they gave all the new characters alt moves. Haven't kept up with competitive play but I assume (some?) tournaments allow them?

Most do not, after EVO showed they didn't really add anything to high level play, compared to the amount of effort to implement them.

xHiryu

PSX this week then the Smash Direct next week hopefully, it'd be a good move and a great December for gaming news. Just got a PS4 and own a WiiU so I'm excited to see whats gonna be shown.

Neoxon

I asked this in the NX thread, but I realized that it'd be just as relevant in this thread. Do you think that the NX Platform will see a Smash 4 port with all of the DLC included? Assuming that Smash 4 DLC development ends this month, Sakurai may pursue a passion project after a possible (well-deserved) break. If that happens, the NX Platform would be left without a Smash game for at least 5 years unless Sakurai either goes straight to Smash 5 or lets someone else take the reigns as director. That's why I think Smash 4 will see an NX Platform port, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If a port to NX happens, it will be without Sakurai. What I womder is if it would include the content from 3DS or just be based on Wii U.

I do not believe such a game would have much more content.

I asked this in the NX thread, but I realized that it'd be just as relevant in this thread. Do you think that the NX Platform will see a Smash 4 port with all of the DLC included? Assuming that Smash 4 DLC development ends this month, Sakurai may pursue a passion project after a possible (well-deserved) break. If that happens, the NX Platform would be left without a Smash game for at least 5 years unless Sakurai either goes straight to Smash 5 or lets someone else take the reigns as director. That's why I think Smash 4 will see an NX Platform port, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

I mean, I really hope so. Some people would rather BC, but in this case, I definitely would prefer a full transfer. I don't think you can deny, for the interest of longevity, that it would be better to have the game on Nintendo's newest, most ambitious hardware.

I don't see any reason for them NOT to port it over. It's potentially a decent chunk of money for a comparably small investment, especially if the NX succeeds in sales where the Wii-U failed :p

...wait, you're still a junior member? wut? :eek:

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Most do not, after EVO showed they didn't really add anything to high level play, compared to the amount of effort to implement them.

Alright. Good to know. They really should have handled the custom moves better in general. Having to unlock them is sort of fine, but it shouldn't have been so cumbersome and luck based.

Neoxon

I don't see any reason for them NOT to port it over. It's potentially a decent chunk of money for a comparably small investment, especially if the NX succeeds in sales where the Wii-U failed :p

...wait, you're still a junior member? wut? :eek:
Long story, I don't want to derail the thread with the details. But I do agree on porting it over to at least give the NX Platform a Smash game until Smash 5 is done.

Platy

Matt Bozon Interview about Shantae

TheMarySue: Speaking of DLC, I’m sure you were happy seeing so many people who want Shantae as DLC for Super Smash Bros. If #ShantaeForSmash wins the Smash ballot, or you’re approached about her being included regardless, could she really be in the game? If so, how do you picture her Final Smash attack?

Matt Bozon: I’m really excited about Shantae being a possibility for Smash! How cool would that be? Amazing, right? I think stylistically she’d be a good fit, being something that exists somewhere between Mega Man and Peach. I’d hope she could recover in Harpy form, or maybe pull off some incredible dance and transformation for her Final Smash! I would love to see this happen, and if not now, then some time in the future!

Not new, but in the future ... so not like cloud, but in the future when they release the ballot characters RIGHT ??? ¬¬

Talked about this before but I'll never forgive Sakurai for basically screwing Palutena over by making all her best moves custom shit.

The most he could do for her is at least let her use her customs even when customs are off IE the Mii Fighters. It's just sad the way they hyped up her fully unique customs and now there's no way to use them outside of some tourneys in Tourney Mode. Otherwise, there's not much of a reason to play her outside of character loyalty. Tragic.

I actually haven't played Project M in forever but I'm really saddened it's all over now. Best of luck and wishes to the PMDT in their upcoming endeavors.

I always misread his name as 'Matt Bozo' ^.^;

Alright. Good to know. They really should have handled the custom moves better in general. Having to unlock them is sort of fine, but it shouldn't have been so cumbersome and luck based.

Talked about this before but I'll never forgive Sakurai for basically screwing Palutena over by making all her best moves custom shit.

The most he could do for her is at least let her use her customs even when customs are off IE the Mii Fighters. It's just sad the way they hyped up her fully unique customs and now there's no way to use them outside of some tourneys in Tourney Mode. Otherwise, there's not much of a reason to play her outside of character loyalty. Tragic.

The Miis, Custom moves and Palutena are a total mess. I have literally no idea what the heck they were thinking with them but it just all feels so half-hearted or ill thought out.
I mean, as far as customs go, I think the miis are actually the best implementation of them, but they messed up the miis by not allowing them on for glory or giving you an easy non-3ds way of transferring them locally (though i guess we can at least upload them now, which is something :p )
Palu obviously doesn't have those limitations but despite a few interesting factors her selection special moves leave a lot to be desired (worst. counter. ever) and some of her normals verge on useless.

Jawmuncher

Custom Moves should not have to be unlocked. If part of the smash broadcast was that everyone would have them unlocked in the newest update. That would be quite nice.

What I don't understand is why Mii Fighters or custom specials in general are excluded from For Glory completely and yet they're available for use just fine in Tournament Mode. All they simply had to do was make them their own toggable options, letting them be available in With Anyone while making them optional so that way some folks won't get "offended" by seeing a Hitler Mii or whatever.

I don't know, I don't like waiting like 15-30 minutes each in Tourney Mode just to play as a non-gimped version of my main.

They'd have to tweak a few of challenges if that was the case, I don't know if they'd want to bother.

I was thinking the way they could handle things would be having an in-game shop of sorts to get most customs (like with Trophies) while also on the Eshop having a purchasable (for like a dollar or less) unlock code that unlocks everything by default, even the customs from challenges.

kirby_fox

Banned

I don't expect it. Everyone keeps thinking we're gonna get ports of these big titles, but fails to see what benefits that gives us besides "continue the DLC!". Or to add back Ice Climbers because they have an odd belief the portable is going to be as powerful as a Wii U.

With Smash being Sakurai's baby, and failing to gain a ton of traction for the Wii U, I fully expect there to not be Smash for the NX at all and instead to get a different title on the system in order to not create fatigue or a split base. I expect a new fighting game title, maybe Nintendo vs. Capcom played like Smash. It's really where the series will probably move to, without compromising Smash at all and leaving it open to have a more Nintendo focused title years from now.

Neoxon

I don't expect it. Everyone keeps thinking we're gonna get ports of these big titles, but fails to see what benefits that gives us besides "continue the DLC!". Or to add back Ice Climbers because they have an odd belief the portable is going to be as powerful as a Wii U.

With Smash being Sakurai's baby, and failing to gain a ton of traction for the Wii U, I fully expect there to not be Smash for the NX at all and instead to get a different title on the system in order to not create fatigue or a split base. I expect a new fighting game title, maybe Nintendo vs. Capcom played like Smash. It's really where the series will probably move to, without compromising Smash at all and leaving it open to have a more Nintendo focused title years from now.
So you think that there's gonna be no Smash game on the NX Platform? That's bit risky for the NX Platform & would severely hurt the platform's chances at success. At this point, a Nintendo platform with no Smash game is like a Nintendo platform with no Mario game. I'm pretty sure that Smash will continue with or without Sakurai.

I think it's probable. The install base of the Wii U is very small, and I could see them using Smash 4 Complete or whatever to use as more incentive to pick up an NX especially for people that didn't get a Wii U. Considering how much Sakurai has (and is) putting into this project, I could see them try to get as much mileage out of it as possible. Add all the DLC from the start, some more stages, music, hell even a character or two (Ice Climbers finally made possible, another biggie 3rd party rep) and sell it for 40 bucks and you've got a big title.

kirby_fox

Banned
So you think that there's gonna be no Smash game on the NX Platform? That's bit risky for the NX Platform & would severely hurt the platform's chances at success.

I don't see how. The Wii U didn't see a huge success with it, and getting a port and splitting the base for esports wouldn't be great. They need new games to get people to buy in.

We will get a game that plays like Smash without the Smash name. I think Nintendo vs. Capcom is the likely choice, but it could go other ways.

Jawmuncher

A smash is gonna happen on NX. Yeah Sakurai is a vital piecem but even if he was for some reason not to return. I'm sure there is someone who can take the helm at this point. Especially with such a huge base to work with now. The majority of the work is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom