• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

Merciless.

fJK1Br9.png

I still think much of the condemnation here is because of jumping to conclusions.

People think they want to control all reaction videos on Youtube and that 'React World' is some Orwellian scheme to make that happen, but they're just licencing their specific show formats for use in other countries, the way some tv shows do.
TheFineBrothers alt account detected.

Hey - in case you missed it - they took down several reaction videos from other youtubers that didn't follow their "format".

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with what they are doing before talking on the matter, truthfully. No offense, but you aren't up on current events.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I watched their update video, man you can tell from their body language that they are angry at the wrong people and seem to taking their frustration on the viewers.

Stay loosing Fine Bros because fine you ain't.

Not a Youtuber, but Doug Walker/Channel Awesome has had some marvelous breakdowns over time.

For example there was the time that Doug thought people liked him specifically and not the show he put on, and decided to stop doing nostalgia reviews, and hired actors to do some other weird thing about making movies, which had him losing people left and right until he did an about face and I don't know if he's recovered yet.

And how someone over there tries to have an iron fist over the people they team up with and they lost all their best reviewers and had to partner up with a bunch of unknowns.

Yeah the moment he said that he was hanging up the nostalgia critic, I said to myself "Your fans aren't going let that happen and you will be back."

Lo and behold I was right. not that it matters since stopped watching around that time.

Why is there no Boycott campaign ?

I don't think that losing 1M subscribers is going to hurt them that much. 99% of their audience is kids/teenagers who don't care about this. These greedy motherfuckers will keep on making bank. I wish there was a full scale boycott campaign.

Here's the thing they have sponsor and they aren't going to pay a channel that is steadily losing subscribers and unable to gain more.

Their bad press has also caused them damage as some sponsors might not want to be associated with them.

Merciless.

fJK1Br9.png

Ha ha that's awesome.

Peterpan

I still think much of the condemnation here is because of jumping to conclusions.

People think they want to control all reaction videos on Youtube and that 'React World' is some Orwellian scheme to make that happen, but they're just licencing their specific show formats for use in other countries, the way some tv shows do.
It's people not understanding what a Trademark actually is. Reading through the thread it's amazing how many people do not understand what the term is and mixing it up with copyright. I'm no business man, but in school we clearly learn what a Trademark, Patent and Copyright is. Coke has a Trademark for their brand, does not mean others can not make drinks like theirs just can not copy their labels and of course ingredients, stuff that makes Coke distinctly Coke, as it can dilute their brand. You own the style of your business that is all. Trademark protects the brand. Funny enough I can trademark a business, and someone can take the name of my business, but as long as there is no confusion in the eyes of the consumer, they can not sue you. You can't own react videos it's impossible people, it's not legal, since they never invented it and even if they did it will be difficult to prove, but then we falling under patent laws, which I do not fully understand.

Skux

TheFineBrothers alt account detected.

Hey - in case you missed it - they took down several reaction videos from other youtubers that didn't follow their "format".

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with what they are doing before talking on the matter, truthfully. No offense, but you aren't up on current events.

Yup. No one has a problem with these guys licensing their show format out to other people for a revenue sharing plan.

The problem is that they are actively abusing YouTube's atrocious copyright takedown system to remove other people's legitimate reaction videos that have nothing to do with the Fine Bros and their React brands. Their "format" is so vaguely defined and they've tiptoed around the specifics to have free reign over shutting down their competitors.

It's people not understanding what a Trademark actually is. Reading through the thread it's amazing how many people do not understand what the term is and mixing it up with copyright. I'm no business man, but in school we clearly learn what a Trademark, Patent and Copyright is. Coke has a Trademark for their brand, does not mean others can not make drinks like theirs just can not copy their labels and of course ingredients, stuff that makes Coke distinctly Coke, as it can dilute their brand. You own the style of your business that is all. Funny enough I can trademark a business, and someone can take the name of my business, but as long as there is no confusion in the eyes of the consumer, they can not sue you. You can't own react videos it's impossible people, it's not legal.
YouTube's strike system doesn't work like law does.

You are guilty and losing money before being proven innocent which takes anywhere from forever to never. That's what we call "abusing the system".

FineBros have taken down several other videos from popular channels that infringe on NOTHING but simply being reaction videos.

Are you up to speed yet?

Edit: Skux with the incredible flyby!

M.Bluth

His latest antic was falsely lynching an old man on Twitch as a pedophile, and the man broke down in tears live. When proven wrong, he said something like "Look at the bright side, he got Twitch viewers now!".

He makes videos about "internet drama" and very recently falsely accused a 63 year old runescape streamer of being a pedophile when it turns out it was a completely different person. He's apparently done some other gross shit over the years but that was the first one I heard about which was like 3 weeks ago.

Holy shit, how is this fucker not in jail?!

Peterpan

YouTube's strike system doesn't work like law does.

You are guilty and losing money before being proven innocent which takes anywhere from forever to never. That's what we call "abusing the system".

FineBros have taken down several other videos from popular channels that infringe on NOTHING but simply being reaction videos.

Are you up to speed yet?

Edit: Skux with the incredible flyby!
Ok makes sense. Then they are wrong for that. Didn't really know that. Though YouTube also needs to refine it's system if that is how it works.

To what extent can you really license a format that is as loose and informal is this one?

What is the signature style that makes them different from any other reaction compilation?

I think essentially what they want to do is have people make reaction videos sort of under their banner, they get some money from that, and in exchange they will promote those channels/videos.

But it seems really scammy to just say "look we are popular, you give us some money and we'll promote you."

I don't think it has that much to do with ownership and licensing and all that.

LoveCake

If they lose big-time then this could really be a game changer maybe even halting the direction that YouTube has been going in recently?

I have never actively watched any of their videos, I have seen these "react" videos about but I don't have an interest in them, so I cannot un-subscribe because I never have subscribed to their channel.

It will be interesting to see what the replies are, to the emails people get from The Fine Bros when they are posted online.

Loxley

Merciless.

fJK1Br9.png

I love the internet sometimes.

I think essentially what they want to do is have people make reaction videos sort of under their banner, they get some money from that, and in exchange they will promote those channels/videos.

But it seems really scammy to just say "look we are popular, you give us some money and we'll promote you."

I don't think it has that much to do with ownership and licensing and all that.

This reminds me of when - back in the heyday of MW2 commentary YouTubers - some of the bigger channels would gladly promote "your channel" for a fee. I remember some were asking for up to $300 in exchange for name-dropping channels.

Darryl

Banned
Glad people are making noise about this, next thing you know is that "funny cats" is trademaked I need my cat videos !

Make funny dogs, too. Then you can just trademark "funny". At that point you are set for life, too big to fail. Just copyright notice people until your bank account hits the right number

Impotaku

My urge for a stupid joke was strong, and my photoshop skill weak. But i gave in to it anyway.
bros.png

Kudos goes to the original creator of this fine
bros
work though.

"no but we only wanted to trademark our specific series not the overall reaction format guys"

"oh and our specific series is every single reaction video ever"
That doesn't actually seem ridiculous to me. The only issue is the kinda generic name.

Like if instead it was called Reactapalooza: Kids Edition, you couldn't make Reactapalooza: Kids Edition Redbull.

so it is ridiculous, the entire problem is that they're trying to trademark something so generic and common.

border

"no but we only wanted to trademark our specific series not the overall reaction format guys"

"oh and our specific series is every single reaction video ever"

They believe they own the phrases "Kids React", "Youtubers React", "Elders React", and "Teens React". So at least by The Fine Brothers' standards you can still make reaction videos, you just can't use those specific phrases in your video titles.

In theory they should not have a problem with "Children React to Red Bull" or "Youngsters Try Out Red Bull".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom