• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

angelfly

Chacranajxy said:
The donations weren't provided because people gave a fuck about geohot; it was because people were worried about the precedent it would set if Sony won the case against him. It's entirely in vain.
I wish more people would understand that. This is actually a pretty important case in terms of was what it means for future of device modifications. After this is over lets see what Nintendo does to the first person to hack region protection on 3DS or MS to whoever manages to get homebrew running on the next Xbox.

lifa-cobex

If true, at least Sony won't be wasting any more cash and time on him.

unless they put a contract out for his head lol

awesome!

now i wish i had donated, just so i could proudly say i was one of the people that helped geohot get away from the man.

it was obvious from the judge's crazy rulings that Sony had "justice" in their pocket.

Go geohot!!!

Slayven

gofreak said:
I doubt he has 'fled the country'. He's probably just on a vacation or something.

He might have some difficulties when he gets back if the court agrees with Sony's claims re. evidence and discovery though.
If he is on vacation, that looks even worse. Cause he was just begging for money, but had cash for an out of country trip?

Evlar

Banned
mentalfloss said:
I'm confused. What's the situation again?
GeoHot participated in/ bragged about participating in the PS3 hack. Sony sued him for various and sundry. Some people in the gaming community donated money to him, intending it to be used in his legal defense in order to defeat Sony's intellectual property rights claims and thereby set legal precedent. This effort included a donation drive on NeoGAF. Now, Geohot is out of the country by the admission of his own lawyers; constructing this as a precedent test-case will be difficult if the defendant is obstructing the process: not to mention whether he needed donations if he has enough money to spare that he can travel abroad.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, this is just hilarious. Sony hated him, and presumably, even the people who supported him before hate him now. This kid's going to get shot.

Even if he flew ou t of the country that doesn't make him a douche (maybe a coward but that's it).
And even if 13k$ is a lot in Africa, it's not that much.

I'm still with the cause (the guy doesn't really count)

wsippel

Banned
So he handed over the hard disks, but removed the controller boards? I don't see the problem. It was obviously done in spite, but it's not tempering with the evidence per se. The data is presumedly still there, it's just harder to access. They should be glad he didn't send them just the platters in an envelope.

MrPliskin

Banned
Still blown away that people thought this guy was "fighting for good" all along. All he wanted to do was get some fame and crack a system, he had no intentions of getting Linux or anything else back.

I guess he achieved that much. It'll be interesting to see where his life goes from here, and where this "fame" will get him.

I don't trust anything Sony says, and I don't see why anyone would...

...this GeoHotz guy on the the other hand, he sounds trustworthy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slayven said:
If he is on vacation, that looks even worse. Cause he was just begging for money, but had cash for an out of country trip?

There is a point there, and questions he might like to answer re. his financial needs, but I'm just saying, it's not like he's a fugitive or anything, on the run - the kind of imagery that comes to mind when people talk about someone fleeing the country.

He's not under arrest, he's being sued. You can leave the country for stuff like that.

I also don't think he tampered with evidence, he just made it harder for Sony to read his hard drives. Tampering implies he changed evidence. He hasn't changed anything, just threw up a barrier.

He's still a douche, but Sony is a bigger douche in this case. Two douches don't make a hero.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
I doubt he has 'fled the country'. He's probably just on a vacation or something.

He might have some difficulties when he gets back if the court agrees with Sony's claims re. evidence and discovery though.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it doesnt seem polite to vacation outside the country after pleaing for donations during a major lawsuit. :p

itxaka

Defeatist
So people already assuming that he never earned any money and Its using the donations to pay for the trip eh?

Business as usual at gaf.

Canova said:
I heard Geohotz wants to go to Europe next, donors get your wallets ready
I have a couch, a computer and a 3DS that he should crack so I can play worldwide games. I'll give him 10$ (it's a lot in Africa you know -_- )

Zoe

itxaka said:
So people already assuming that he never earned any money and Its using the donations to pay for the trip eh?

Then why did he need the donations in the first place?

Crisis

Banned
devildog820 said:
He's not under arrest, he's being sued. You can leave the country for stuff like that.

I also don't think he tampered with evidence, he just made it harder for Sony to read his hard drives. Tampering implies he changed evidence. He hasn't changed anything, just threw up a barrier.

He's still a douche, but Sony is a bigger douche in this case. Two douches don't make a hero.

As I understand it, if he changed anything on the hard drive after being ordered to produce it in court, that's obstruction of justice at a minimum, isn't it?

Mithos

Square Triangle said:
A lot according to the donations thread, I cannot stop laughing.

You will stop laughing when you have to rent your Playstation 4 and games, instead of actually buying them.
Ohh and dear E-Discovery, if it have escaped you Geohotz isn't really the normal end-user, its well know he likes to pick stuff apart, and use them the way HE seems fit. ;p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
geobeachj7i8.jpg

itxaka said:

The whole point for him asking for donations a month ago was because he was out of money.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
chubigans said:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it doesnt seem polite to vacation outside the country after pleaing for donations during a major lawsuit. :p

Slander isn't polite too, where does Sony say that he fled?

Massa

I wouldn't say delivering an incomplete HD is tampering with evidence. It's obviously against the court's orders, but still the data is still there intact (or at least the third party company didn't even get to verify that yet).

MrPliskin said:
Still blown away that people thought this guy was "fighting for good" all along. All he wanted to do was get some fame and crack a system, he had no intentions of getting Linux or anything else back.

I guess he achieved that much. It'll be interesting to see where his life goes from here, and where this "fame" will get him.

The reason people support him is because they believe what he did should be considered legal, whether he was doing it for fame or restore OtherOS or whatever reason is irrelevant.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
itxaka said:

If he was earning money, he wouldn't need to ask for donations. This is logic.

MrPliskin

Banned
out0v0rder said:
i gave him $300 dollars. Hope you are ok man.

Are you kidding?!

Massa said:
I wouldn't say delivering an incomplete HD is tampering with evidence. It's obviously against the court's orders, but still the data is still there intact (or at least the third party company didn't even get to verify that yet).

The reason people support him is because they believe what he did should be considered legal, whether he was doing it for fame or restore OtherOS or whatever reason is irrelevant.

Oh this is just tasty. You don't think giving an incomplete HD is tampering? Please define "tampering" and then get back to me.

Also: I still think he's a dick bag who put a huge strain on the end user for his own good, so fuck his "morality". He's a piece of shit, and I have to upgrade my firmware regularly because of his stupidity.

Chacranajxy said:
Man, this is just hilarious. Sony hated him, and presumably, even the people who supported him before hate him now. This kid's going to get shot.
Video games are serious business.

out0v0rder said:
i gave him $300 dollars. Hope you are ok man.
I hope your money is ok.

Ok about that letter, that can't possibly work as their defense can it? 'You asked for the hard drives, not the hard drives AND the controll chips to use them lol'

Slayven

wsippel said:
So he handed over the hard disks, but removed the controller boards? I don't see the problem. It was obviously done in spite, but it's not tempering with the evidence per se. The data is presumedly still there, it's just harder to access. They should be glad he didn't send them just the platters in an envelope.
Spite is a good way to earn the contempt of the court.

itxaka

Defeatist
Zoe said:
Then why did he need the donations in the first place?
Taking a vacation requires the same amount of money as defending himself from sony, which if i recall correctly has 5 lawyers working on this?

Top Bottom