• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

donkey show said:
2nlemc2.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This made my day! :D

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
MrPliskin said:
I'm floored you're defending this guy, lol. Even defending the nut job that gave him $300. Tell me you gave him $500 so you're behavior can make sense to me.

I gave him over 9000.

Jobiensis

MrPliskin said:
I dunno, he "stole" (conned maybe?) tons of folks on this very board for money, and then fled. Sounds like a Pirate to me.

If he conned people, that would be fraud (and there is no proof of that). He also did not flee.

Even still, that isn't close to piracy.

Edit: Holy fuck some people are dense. There is no proof or evidence of any inappropriate use of funds. There is also no evidence of fleeing. Tone down the hyperbole.

lifa-cobex

angelfly said:
Yeah such a bitch for not being able to defend himself against a multi billion dollar corporation.

yea i kinda agree with you but after begging to keep the "good fight" going, I kinda think he is a bitch.

Curufinwe

Billychu said:
He's a pirate? That's news to me. Stop pulling stuff out of your ass.

He didn't say he was a pirate, he said he'd fit right in with all the piracy in Brazil, and Sony claims that geohot has facilitated piracy.

In January of 2011, without authorization, Hotz accessed and circumvented the technological protection measures in the PS3 System. Not only did Hotz publish the “Metldr Keys” on his website, he also provided links on his website to his other circumvention devices, including the 3.55 Firmware JailBreak and the Signing Tools, encouraging and enabling individuals to download these circumvention devices, and thus facilitating video game piracy. Bricker Decl., ¶9, Exh. H.

Clott said:
Wow, you do know you could have given that 300$ to the people of Japan and actually have helped someone? At this rate he is gonna use that money for a back ally blowjob.

Yeah, he should go back in time and tell himself there is going to be a fucking earthquake so hold onto that 300$

MrPliskin

Banned
Dali said:
Yeah, I don't see how this is tampering. The data (presumably) hasn't been altered.

Christ almighty you people are dense.

Tampering - a : to interfere so as to weaken or change for the worse

Clearly he did this to "slow" the process. He changed the HDD from it's original state. He tampered with it. Fucking English. Christ.

Jobiensis said:
If he conned people, that would be fraud (and there is no proof of that). He also did not flee.

Even still, that isn't close to piracy.

Oh come on. You know he clearly wanted to open all of the doors for the PS3 regardless of what it lead to. He knew piracy was going to come of his "valiant efforts" and he made no significant effort to stop it. Again, he wanted fame and a name, regardless of the shit storm he caused (being piracy). As far as I'm concerned, he may as well be a pirate.

Also: You're defending him as well. Mind blown. GAF never stops amazing me.

Guy incurs thousands of dollars in legal fees, begs for money.
Guy takes trip to another country costing thousands of dollars.
GAF defends guy.

Zoe

Rikyfree said:
Oh, so the money he used to flee the country couldn't have been used to defend himself at all, huh? So yes, he is a bitch. I didn't flee when I was staring down the bull. So I'm pretty sure that I can say that.

Can you post about it? Sounds awesome :)

-Amon-

He asked for donations because he did not have money to defend himself, then goes in vacation out of the country.

Congrats to the donors lol.

I don't think there is any excuse for what he did and also I don't give a rats ass for people claiming "modding for Home Brew" nonsense.

I am happy that SONY is going to rape this piece of shit.

Articate

Banned
angelfly said:

What? He's right. Some dolt gave $300 to a guy that then went "BAI LOL", and showing how much all these 'principles' everyone seem to be defending in this case matters to him. $300 could help a lot of people in Japan (and it could've been $300 to supporting anything, Japan being the current relevant example). Instead you've helped some guy with no values or principles flee away from something he doesn't believe in, and seemlingly only did 'for the lulz' at this point. What are we even trying to defend here?

Clott

Saren is Bad said:
Yeah, he should go back in time and tell himself there is going to be a fucking earthquake so hold onto that 300$

The point is that no matter how you look at it that money was spent helping no one.

He just used all the people that gave him any sympathy money.

Ploid 3.0 said:
If I felt I had to tamper with evidence like he did, felt I had to seemingly flee the country to avoid being in prison, and looked the way he do (not built to take care of myself in the yard brawls) I'd probably flee with thousands of dollars too. Maybe he'll start a awesome life on some beach/coast, living in a low cost city with 3 wives, and a monkey for a pet. He could create fishing apps and sell them on phones.

It's South America and you know Sony's got contacts. Dude's gonna have a hit put on his ass.

StevieP

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Do you honestly believe Sony will be laughing in this situation? This is a sure way to crash out of the video game market.

The consequences only apply to geohot, and other people who lack common sense.

No, this is basically the case with Steam games already. As is the case with games from other download services (XBLA, NO, PSN). You don't own them legally. If, for example, Nintendo decides that you can't transfer your purchased Virtual Console games to the Wii2, they're perfectly within their legal right to do so. Because you do not own them. This sucks ass. If you spent $3000 on Steam and violate some part of their legalese multi-page agreement, they can simply disable your account and you're out $3000 because you don't own any of those games. That also sucks ass. But that is limited to downloadable software for the most part, at least currently.

Sony, depending on their case and this outcome, can do the same thing with console *hardware* - this is what most people like Mama Robotnik are concerned about.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
itxaka said:
Iirc he asked the money to hire more lawyers. He Was already paying a lawyer with his own money before asking for donations

Yes, and he should have used the money he set aside for vacation to at least partially fund more lawyers before asking for donations. I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable expectation.

Unregistered007 said:
I don't think there is any excuse for what he did and also I don't give a rats ass for people claiming "modding for Home Brew" nonsense.

uN4zz.gif

lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Unregistered007 said:

You have ben permanently banned from PSN.

Reason: You were using bad language on the forum neogaf.com, specifically the word rape. Sony cannot condone such words potentially being used on The Playstation Network and has therefore decided to terminate your account. We will not adress any complaints from you in regards to this.

How do you guys know that he hadn't booked this holiday 6 months prior to the case..?

That's usually how it works, assuming he hasn't fled that is

Evlar

Banned
angelfly said:
The money was spent to aid a case that if lost would hurt the future of consumer rights.
If I thought losing this case would hurt the future of consumer rights I wouldn't be going to bat for George Hotz after hearing news that he's slowing discovery by removing hard drive controllers and leaving the country with a deposition date looming.

ape2man

This is amazing. by pressing ok on your ps3 for psn you agree to a legal binding contract.

Amazing, normally you need a signature and a 3rd party as a witness. Here in holland these things are not legally binding because of that.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Unregistered007 said:

Please come back Dragona ;(

Wallach

The talk about him being out of the country (and thus what he did/is doing with donation money) seems a little rushed, yet. It doesn't say in the e-mail chain what reason he's out of the country, but it does imply that the "other side" was made aware of his leaving the country. The other part about the hard drive seems a lot more interesting.

StevieP said:
No, this is basically the case with Steam games already. As is the case with games from other download services (XBLA, NO, PSN). You don't own them legally. If, for example, Nintendo decides that you can't transfer your purchased Virtual Console games to the Wii2, they're perfectly within their legal right to do so. Because you do not own them. This sucks ass. If you spent $3000 on Steam and violate some part of their legalese multi-page agreement, they can simply disable your account and you're out $3000 because you don't own any of those games. That also sucks ass. But that is limited to downloadable software for the most part, at least currently.

Sony, depending on their case and this outcome, can do the same thing with console *hardware* - this is what most people like Mama Robotnik are concerned about.

That doesn't mean you don't own them. The games will continue to work on your Wii.

Do I not own goldeneye just because it doesn't work on the GC?

Doesn't Steam require you to be logged into their servers in order to access your purchased games? If that's the case, then that is quite a bit different than what the consoles are doing.

Jomjom

Banned
Not feeling sorry in the least for the guy. Also not feeling sorry for people who donated. Yes, he's within his right to take a vacation, but really if you are that hard up for money, is a vacation at this moment the top priority? Maybe he should have gone and rented a Ferrari for his trip too.

ViolentP

They say a fool and his money soon part ways. I think a fool and money never cross paths which means all the donators are simply retarded.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
StevieP said:

this isn't entirely correct. you do own them. typically the EULA in the case of these games concerns with what rights you have for transfer.

in the case of steam, I am not certain if there is proof of them outright permanently banning an account (and thus locking out the games). in the case of XBLA, I believe that while consoles have been banned, it's rare for an actual account to be banned.

you could argue cases like WoW or other blizzard games where bans have been handed out, but that is a tricky topic of software vs. service.

you do own the software in almost all cases (for games at least). However under the terms of service used to distribute and facilitate these games you are often bound under an EULA when it comes to transfer of the games. Kind of a big difference.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jorma said:
You have ben permanently banned from PSN.

Reason: You were using bad language on the forum neogaf.com, specifically the word rape. Sony cannot condone such words potentially being used on The Playstation Network and has therefore decided to terminate your account. We will not adress any complaints from you in regards to this.

Yup, that's exactly the next step if Geohot loses this case. Keep donating to keep freedom alive!

Top Bottom