• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

Jomjom

Banned
BobTheFork said:
If you really care about the issues governing this case, then I guess it's time to take the fight somewhere else. GH is really going to potentially screw up future precedent because he put his name all over this, went public and now if any of this is true is giving Sony a huge advantage.
Well if they don't let anyone play with fireworks anymore, then it's going to be because of the stupid kid that blew his hand off.

If geohotz because of his idiocy loses the case due to a default judgment for something dumb like not showing up in court or tampering with evidence. That really isn't going to set up any kind of precedence, so no need to worry about that.

Lain

I don't know what or who to trust, nor do I care.
This (the situation, the thread, everything) is so fucking silly, ridiculous... and funny!

Agkel

This feels like a trap thread with bishop lurking in the bushes with his tomahawk
ban
hammer

get it? turok reference :D

Anywho I never quite understand how these threads spiral into the garbage they do. Some people have some real issues they need to address, starting with learning what a discussion is. Then again this is the interwebs so *shrugs*

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Seriously, STOP with the "fled" bullshit. Sony was aware he was out of the country.

email exchange said:
As your co-counsel is aware, Mr. Hotz is currently out of the country,

You usually don't tell someone when you're going to flee. Just keep ignoring it though and stick with the nonsense.

Dali

jling84 said:
except the risers and screws in your analogy aren't required for the mobo to work.
They sort of are if you're putting it in a traditional case without built in risers at just the right spots. It'll ground out otherwise. You can work around it, but I'm sure they could work-around the missing pieces too.

Jobiensis

BobTheFork said:
If you really care about the issues governing this case, then I guess it's time to take the fight somewhere else. GH is really going to potentially screw up future precedent because he put his name all over this, went public and now if any of this is true is giving Sony a huge advantage.
Well if they don't let anyone play with fireworks anymore, then it's going to be because of the stupid kid that blew his hand off.

Exactly, let's push for another exception to DMCA. That actually seems totally possible. GeoHot's case seems to be a lost cause. Donating to EFF makes more sense.

ape2man

ha1f said:
Fleeing in a case where you could potentially serve up to 0 minutes in jail? Yeah, okay.

YOUR WRONG!!!!! HE IS The Fugitive

wb5kfg97.jpg

:D

MrPliskin

Banned
jorma said:
It's a brave new world where you can sell a product and still call it your own. But only if you first invest a billion dollars into it, of course.

The software that they wrote to run said device is their own, is it not? I'm certain if Hotz had written his own OS for the PS3 hardware, he'd be in much better shape. Instead he modified the Sony created (and copyrighted) OS, and enabled many things that Sony didn't want.

It wasn't his modification of the hardware that tipped the scales, it was what he did with the software.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dali said:
They sort of are if you're putting it in a traditional case without built in risers at just the right spots. It'll ground out otherwise. You can work around it, but I'm sure they could work-around the missing pieces too.

There's a pretty significant difference here. If you dismantle a piece of hardware (i.e. the motherboard) that's considerably different than simply not including screws. What he did was the equivalent of removing the BIOS chip from the motherboard, physically.

Again, you've clearly got your mind made up, whatever.

Shambles

squatingyeti said:
Seriously, STOP with the "fled" bullshit. Sony was aware he was out of the country.

You usually don't tell someone when you're going to flee. Just keep ignoring it though and stick with the nonsense.

It's too late, the Sony PR machine has already convinced this thread that he's run away. There is too much momentum of public perception now to correct. The story is now the truth.

-PXG-

If I was his dad, I'd beat the living shit out of him and disown his ass. I pity his poor parents. This ordeal has become one giant circus of idiocy, deceit, narcissism and pure, utter, unequivocal bullshit from both sides.

Anyway, maybe he'll send those who donated a post card from Rio. Top 5 donors get a souvenir.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
TheChillyAcademic said:
Poor MamaRobotnick...
I don't understand why people are mocking Momma Robotnik and the pro-hacking community as they've acknowledged day 1 that this guy is a total asshat. They were defending this precedent-setting case, not the person.

Either way, avoiding the case this way is a big slap in the face, and will definitely work in Sony's favor. Good jon on screwing this up, Hotz.

Curufinwe said:
He didn't say he was a pirate, he said he'd fit right in with all the piracy in Brazil, and Sony claims that geohot has facilitated piracy.

To clarify, my piracy comment was purely facetious, though it does seem to have struck a nerve.

MrPliskin said:
Anyway, do people REALLY think that Hotz had any of their interests in mind? He was defending himself, first and foremost, and hostly couldn't give a shit about any consumer rights, as he's clearly shown through his behavior.

The wish is father to the thought, I guess.

apana

Damn, these Geohot vs. Sony threads are bigger than NPD numbers. NeoGaf needs to send Geohot a thank you card.

Atruvius

That's disgusting! Guy begs for money over the internet for some pricey lawyers and then he escapes the country for a pricey holiday. Absolutly disgusting! I hope that Sony wins.

lupinko

Alucrid said:
Holy shit. First off, out0v0rder definitely didn't give him any money at all. He's a troll character. Second off even if he did, which is a stupid idea already, there's no way he could have foreseen the tsunami/earthquake in Japan months ago when he was asking for donations. Jesus...

lol yeah, like there wasn't a natural disaster that ravaged Haiti recently which still hasn't recovered from it, oh wait.

jling84 said:
If geohotz because of his idiocy loses the case due to a default judgment for something dumb like not showing up in court or tampering with evidence. That really isn't going to set up any kind of precedence, so no need to worry about that.
Well, they aren't going to find him guilty early are they? They still have the trial and the eventual verdict is the problem correct? Doesn't this just help bring that conclusion? I'm asking.

Zoe

jling84 said:

This case wouldn't have changed anything for the average consumer if Sony wins. Maybe it would make it easier for them to go after hackers posting their hacks online, but that's it. Sony's fighting in defense of laws that already exist.

Things could potentially change if geohot was to win, but that would depend on the reasons for his win.

If people really want to see change, they should throw all their support behind EFF and get them to lobby for a DMCA exception.

DonMigs85

MrPliskin said:
The software that they wrote to run said device is their own, is it not? I'm certain if Hotz had written his own OS for the PS3 hardware, he'd be in much better shape. Instead he modified the Sony created (and copyrighted) OS, and enabled many things that Sony didn't want.

It wasn't his modification of the hardware that tipped the scales, it was what he did with the software.
It's sort of like Hackintoshing and Psystar, I guess.

MrPliskin

Banned
squatingyeti said:

Doesn't matter if he fled or not, it's still bad form, as all of his actions up to to this point have been. There is no need to defend this guy. Unless you (or anyone) can provide good reason to do so?

jorma

is now taking requests
MrPliskin said:

They own the copyright to the software, that is the only given thing here. Sure, geohots might have violated the DMCA, but this is clearly not a case of "Sony can do what they want with their product", which is the statement i took offense to.

Clott

Atruvius said:
That's disgusting! Guy begs for money over the internet for some pricey lawyers and then he escapes the country for a pricey holiday. Absolutly disgusting! I hope that Sony wins.

No reason to hope, at this point he is digging himself one deep hole.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Clott said:
No reason to hope, at this point he is digging himself one deep hole.

Don't you see man, he's already won. Sony can't touch him. He's freeeeeeeee.

Is there evidence that he has left the country for the specific purpose of avoiding a law suit, or that any of the money donated for legal defense, was used for anything else?

Furthermore what makes Geohot a bad person, as is implied so frequently here.

It's seems pretty obvious to me that many people have some personal attachment to these companies, and dislike those who may have potentially harmed them.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
squatingyeti said:

email exchange said:
As your co-counsel is aware, Mr. Hotz is currently out of the country,

One more time for the cheap seats!

Melchiah

wsippel said:
So he handed over the hard disks, but removed the controller boards? I don't see the problem. It was obviously done in spite, but it's not tempering with the evidence per se. The data is presumedly still there, it's just harder to access. They should be glad he didn't send them just the platters in an envelope.

If that's the case, the guy's just a childish moron. When you've been issued a court order, you do as you're told. A sore loser playing immature tricks may get pity in the kindergarten, but not in the court.

And yes, it's tampering with the evidence.

Shambles

-PXG- said:
If I was his dad, I'd beat the living shit out of him and disown his ass. I pity his poor parents. This ordeal has become one giant circus of idiocy, deceit, narcissism and pure, utter, unequivocal bullshit from both sides.

Anyway, maybe he'll send those who donated a post card from Rio. Top 5 donors get a souvenir.

Stay classy.

angelfly

MrPliskin said:

I really hope you've never modified a system file in Windows or OSX since according to you it's still owned by MS or Apple so you need to stick to what they want you do with the OS paid for.

ViolentP

It's absolute bullshit that he left the country after so many people donated. It's like paying to see a show and having the actors leave halfway through the best part.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Unregistered007 said:
I don't think there is any excuse for what he did and also I don't give a rats ass for people claiming "modding for Home Brew" nonsense.

I am happy that SONY is going to rape this piece of shit.

....yeah, you're not going to last long around here.

Is it me, or did most of the new batch of juniors not lurk before posting here.

ha1f

Where does it say that he spent the money donated to him to pay for his trip to South America?

Also, anyone who brings the tsunami into this is fucking dumb.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MrPliskin said:
Doesn't matter if he fled or not, it's still bad form, as all of his actions up to to this point have been. There is no need to defend this guy. Unless you (or anyone) can provide good reason to do so?

Oh, so now it's not "he fled to avoid the case!!!" It doesn't matter what his reasons are for being there or even the fact that Sony KNEW he was there, you guys are still going to carry on with the nonsense. Wow, I'm out.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:
Is there evidence that he has left the country for the specific purpose of avoiding a law suit, or that any of the money donated for legal defense, was used for anything else?

Furthermore what makes Geohot a bad person, as is implied so frequently here.

It's seems pretty obvious to me that many people have some personal attachment to these companies, and dislike those who may have potentially harmed them.

I believe there's no specific reason given by Hotz's side why he's out of the country, he just is.

Trevelyon

So, I'm trying to understand here, if he doesn't return to California or the States in general, where does this leave the case? What are the legal ramifications here, does it go beyond civil if he's clearly trying to dodge a losing lawsuit or does it just essentially leave his side dead in the water with the presumption of guilt.

MrPliskin

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
It's sort of like Hackintoshing and Psystar, I guess.

Fairly similar, actually.

squatingyeti said:
Oh, so now it's not "he fled to avoid the case!!!" It doesn't matter what his reasons are for being there or even the fact that Sony KNEW he was there, you guys are still going to carry on with the nonsense. Wow, I'm out.

Welp, that settles it. Clearly there is no reason to defend the guy, and instead you flee (rimshot).

Top Bottom