• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

Dali

MrPliskin said:
Christ almighty you people are dense.

Tampering - a : to interfere so as to weaken or change for the worse

Clearly he did this to "slow" the process. He changed the HDD from it's original state. He tampered with it. Fucking English. Christ.

He may have just thought it was his property and was only willing to give what was asked for. Is it tampering if they ask for your mobo and you don't give them the risers or screws? You can get a mobo/chip combo. Do you have to cough up the cpu if they request the just the mobo? He didn't weaken the evidence or change it at all. You're looking at the device itself as the evidence, when it's actually the data on the device.

Evlar

Banned
Shambles said:
If we can't trust Sony's information about people they are going after who can we trust?
Would you trust George Hotz's own lawyers? As I posted in the other thread:

Motion for a Protective Order Filed by George Hotz, Filed March 17, 2011:
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...ifornia/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/100/0.pdf

From page 6:
Under Rule 26(b)(2), the court must consider whether the discovery sought is
cumulative or duplicative, or can be obtained from some another source; whether the
party seeking discovery has had ample opportunity to obtain the information pursuant
to prior discovery in the action; and whether the burden or expense of the proposed
discovery outweighs its likely benefit. Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(b)(2). Mr. Hotz is currently out
of the country, and to hail him into California for a deposition is unduly burdensome and
disruptive in the clearest sense of the phrase.
This, coupled with the fact that the desired
information could just as easily be obtained from some other source that is more
convenient and less burdensome, requires a showing of good cause from the Plaintiff,
and an order effectuating such. See In re Google Adwords Litigation (N.D. Cal., 2010).
Indeed, the information sought is likely cumulative from the interrogatories already
provided to Mr. Hotz, rendering such deposition of dubious value. For these reasons,
Defendant seeks a protective order from this Court that limits the deposition of George
Hotz to a written deposition, in order to avoid undue burden and expense where the
information Plaintiff seeks could just as easily be obtained in written form.

Emitan

Articate said:
But the money was given to someone that doesn't give a shit about anything like that.
Is there some other gaming consumer rights case going on right now? No? Well let's just lose our rights because you think geohot is an ass. Sounds good to me.

jling84 said:
Not feeling sorry in the least for the guy. Also not feeling sorry for people who donated. Yes, he's within his right to take a vacation, but really if you are that hard up for money, is a vacation at this moment the top priority? Maybe he should have gone and rented a Ferrari for his trip too.
Noooo he was standing up to the man! Do you know what precedent it will set if Sony wins?! Take my $10 and figHT THE POWA!!

lol @ the people who donated, not just on NeoGAF. Y'all have been played for fools.

Wallach

Dali said:
He may have just thought it was his property and was only willing to give what was asked for. Is it tampering if they ask for your mobo and don't give them the risers or screws? You can get a mobo/chip combo. Do you have to cough up the cpu if they request the mobo? He didn't weaken the evidence or change it at all. You're looking at the device itself as the evidence, when it's actually the data on the device.

From the sounds of it the hard drive hardware was also considered evidence.

Jomjom

Banned
Dali said:
He may have just thought it was his property and was only willing to give what was asked for. Is it tampering if they ask for your mobo and you don't give them the risers or screws? You can get a mobo/chip combo. Do you have to cough up the cpu if they request the just the mobo? He didn't weaken the evidence or change it at all. You're looking at the device itself as the evidence, when it's actually the data on the device.

except the risers and screws in your analogy aren't required for the mobo to work.

ha1f

jling84 said:
Not feeling sorry in the least for the guy. Also not feeling sorry for people who donated. Yes, he's within his right to take a vacation, but really if you are that hard up for money, is a vacation at this moment the top priority? Maybe he should have gone and rented a Ferrari for his trip too.
After I have a long stressful stretch in life, I generally take some time off and go hang out at a sunny beach. I'm guessing that's the logic behind his trip.

LQX

Did he stand a chance of actually going to jail over this? What a idiot but I kind of find it obnoxious that the same people so happy at what he did and took advantage of it are now coming down on him.

I knew this case was gonna provide good comedy but this is exceeding my expectations a thousand times over. It's so funny and great that I can't even laugh or anything, it's just too good. LOL just thinking back, remember the rap video? I wonder if he finished packing before or after he recorded that.

This kid is a punk. I laughed at those who donated then and now I can't even laugh, it's just sad.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. The guy shows again why he's a piece of shit. Hope all those that donated to this idiot are happy knowing that he used them to either flee the country or take a vacation.

Alucrid

Banned
Holy shit. First off, out0v0rder definitely didn't give him any money at all. He's a troll character. Second off even if he did, which is a stupid idea already, there's no way he could have foreseen the tsunami/earthquake in Japan months ago when he was asking for donations. Jesus...

Jomjom

Banned
RustyNails said:
Noooo he was standing up to the man! Do you know what precedent it will set if Sony wins?! Take my $10 and figHT THE POWA!!

lol @ the people who donated, not just on NeoGAF. Y'all have been played for fools.

Yeah seriously I'm going to go ask Red Cross for the money I donated to Japan back, just so I can donate it to geohotz.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
this is hilarious.....

i am hoping that it wont be the end of this sorry episode. looking at his actions, i wonder if he actually 'hacked' ps3 to get the keys or just got it from a stolen sony sdk ???

anyways, sony's done a good job securing their console. legal threats to serious hackers besides revamping the entire boot loader code. good job!!!

MrPliskin

Banned
kamorra said:
Please come back Dragona ;(

Why? So people can get banned for voicing an opinion? Clearly this guy is an idiot, but at this point he doesn't deserve a ban, which he would undoubtedly get for this post.

Plenty of people get banned for calling folks pirates, but no one ever get's banned for jumping on someone who doesn't agree with modding / homebrew (more specifically, what else it brings to the table). Even if said folks take it to the extreme, they walk around unscathed. Conflict of interest, IMO.

Anyway, do people REALLY think that Hotz had any of their interests in mind? He was defending himself, first and foremost, and hostly couldn't give a shit about any consumer rights, as he's clearly shown through his behavior.

Articate

Banned
Alucrid said:
Holy shit. First off, out0v0rder definitely didn't give him any money at all. He's a troll character. Second off even if he did, which is a stupid idea already, there's no way he could have foreseen the tsunami/earthquake in Japan months ago when he was asking for donations. Jesus...

Again. He should've spent it on some real aid. You don't see me asking people to donate money to my vacation.

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. The guy shows again why he's a piece of shit. Hope all those that donated to this idiot are happy knowing that he used them to either flee the country or take a vacation.
Fair enough as long as he can continue his work :D.

Canova

Banned
Mailenstein said:
uN4zz.gif

lol

isn't this bannable meme now?

Clott

Billychu said:
Is there some other gaming consumer rights case going on right now? No? Well let's just lose our rights because you think geohot is an ass. Sounds good to me.

What rights? the right for a manufacturer to protect it's billion dollar investment? Sorry but they can do what they please with their product.

Jobiensis

It's not clear from the wording if the controllers are missing or were altered.

Clott said:
What rights? the right for a manufacturer to protect it's billion dollar investment? Sorry but they can do what they please with their product.

The right to alter something you bought.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Curufinwe said:
He didn't say he was a pirate, he said he'd fit right in with all the piracy in Brazil, and Sony claims that geohot has facilitated piracy.

I can already imagine a Spartacus-like scene in Uruguaiana (Rio de Janeiro's #1 source for pirated material and so on):

"I am Geohot!"
"No, I am Geohot!"

(the actual Geohot sheds a tear, as all the booth owners claim they are Geohot)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Wow, jump to conclusions much? When the attorney says where he is at, that isn't hiding. No one knows what reasons he has for being there or if it was something long since planned.

It's not like Sony had to spend time and resources finding out where he "fled" to. They asked for something and his attorney stated he was currently out of the country and where he was.

derp derp.

Jomjom

Banned
ha1f said:
After I have a long stressful stretch in life, I generally take some time off and go hang out at a sunny beach. I'm guessing that's the logic behind his trip.

Difference is going to a sunny beach to relax doesn't cost nearly what it does to go vacation in South America (or is it Africa?). Also I'm assuming your long stressful stretch in life didn't cause you to beg for donations from people who believed their money was going to defend a principle.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Billychu said:
These "rights" you keep talking about.. you never had them to begin with. That is the ground that he is being sued on. Sony isn't trying to create a law here. They are defending him on existing laws (copyright infringement and DMCA). People were paying a guy, yes paying him, to support their "cause". To give them additional rights. To change the law. Giving the money to a guy who at the end of the day, doesn't really care about any of that.

I mean really, you guys want to change the law..... there is no one you are going to be able to support on that outside of your US congressmen.

Zoe

LQX said:
Did he stand a chance of actually going to jail over this? What a idiot but I kind of find it obnoxious that the same people so happy at what he did and took advantage of it are now coming down on him.

He wouldn't have gone to jail over a civil case unless he pisses off the court.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Poor MamaRobotnick...
Who wants to bet the Geohotz defense force are furiously googling looking for evidence that this isn't a big deal at all and that he is doing it on purpose to mess with Sony and knows what he is doing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel bad for his family, who have to now carry the burden of his bills from the lawyers and whatever monetary payments (if any) that have to be paid to Sony now.

What a fuckin' little dick.

Alucrid

Banned
Articate said:
Again. He should've spent it on some real aid. You don't see me asking people to donate money to my vacation.

That's not the point I was trying to make. Yes, he could have given that hypothetically money (note: no money was actually ever given by him) to a consumer rights organization or something. My comment was specifically at those saying "Hey why didn't u like give that (hypothetical) money to Japan instead asshoole!"

If you really care about the issues governing this case, then I guess it's time to take the fight somewhere else. GH is really going to potentially screw up future precedent because he put his name all over this, went public and now if any of this is true is giving Sony a huge advantage.
Well if they don't let anyone play with fireworks anymore, then it's going to be because of the stupid kid that blew his hand off.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dali said:

No.

It is a system, a whole. That "piece" of hardware is what was called for, in working order. He deliberately (and childishly) tampered with the device to make it more difficult for the 3rd party to obtain the data. Not impossible, but more difficult.

Oh well, defenders will be defenders. Tin foil hats and all. I suppose when more stuff happens in the future and Hotz continues to behave like a child (and a douche bag) with only his own interests in mind, you'll all hopefully come to your senses.

Crisis

Banned
Dali said:

Dude he apparently took the fucking controller card off of it.

Shambles

Evlar said:
Would you trust George Hotz's own lawyers? As I posted in the other thread:

Motion for a Protective Order Filed by George Hotz, Filed March 17, 2011:
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...ifornia/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/100/0.pdf

From page 6:

There's a difference to say he's out of the country versus saying that he's "fled" to South America. For all we know he has a good reason to needing to go down there, or perhaps it's a legal tactic, or perhaps he's fleeing the country. I'm just saying just because Sony is trying to make him out to look like he's guilty and running away doesn't mean it's true.

I agree with the others, if you want to fight for consumer rights you need to do it through a far more meaningful medium than GH's legal case.

Shiggy said:
Ten days later...

Funny because it's true.

That gif is amazing, early nomination for gif of the year.

And I'm seriously laughing at anyone who donated money to this douche. You really do get what you pay for I guess!

Shiggy

Ten days later...

International arrest warrant issued for George Hotz

The Swedish National Criminal Police on Friday issued an international arrest warrant for George Hotz, the master of Apple iPhone hacks and inventor of a firmware hack for the PlayStation 3, Dow Jones Newswires reported.

Hotz had filed an appeal earlier Friday against a Swedish court order for the warrant on allegations of rape, his Swedish lawyer Bjoern Hurter told ABCDE.

The Stockholm district court ordered an arrest warrant be issued for Hotz on Thursday for questioning on “probable cause suspected of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion” in an IKEA store located in Houston, Texas, ABCDE reported.

The court order allowed Swedish prosecutor Marianne Ny, who had requested Hotz’ detention, to prepare an international arrest warrant.

Ny said on Thursday that arresting the 21-year-old Hotz was the only way she would be able to question him about the allegations. Hotz has been accused of raping one IKEA desk in Houston, Texas and sexually molesting another, charges he has denied.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
MrPliskin said:
Why? So people can get banned for voicing an opinion?

Voicing an opinion is one thing but cussing in full rage mode and calling your fellow forum members retards and pirates is a whole different kind of beast.

jorma

is now taking requests
Clott said:

It's a brave new world where you can sell a product and still call it your own. But only if you first invest a billion dollars into it, of course.

This was my third reply in the Geohot Donations thread:

Although I dont as strongly as this, I do sort of sympathize with him. 10k in debt with Sony's legal team staring at your face is tough place to be in for a 20 year old. But anyway, I'd rather donate to American cancer society and other more pressing charities than this dude. Best of luck though.
If only people listened ;(

Top Bottom