• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

Zoe

ha1f said:
Where does it say that he spent the money donated to him to pay for his trip to South America?

Common sense dictates that if you're broke enough to have to turn to the internet so that you won't be broke for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be spending money flying and staying out of the country.

Jomjom

Banned
squatingyeti said:
One more time for the cheap seats!

I don't even think many if any people are even arguing that he fled. He went on a vacation when he claimed he had no money whatsoever to pay his attorneys. Where did this money suddenly come from to go on a presumably pricey international vacation???

I really have no idea who you are even responding to other than perhaps yourself.

ViolentP

ha1f said:
Where does it say that he spent the money donated to him to pay for his trip to South America?

Also, anyone who brings the tsunami into this is fucking dumb.

Let's say he had 13k in the bank before this ordeal started. He then takes 13k in donations for legal defense fees. Then he uses his original 13k to go on vacation. Fair game?

angelfly said:
I really hope you've never modified a system file in Windows or OSX since according to you it's still owned by MS or Apple so you need to stick to what they want you do with the OS paid for.
Listen man, when it comes to gaming the rules change! Keep your apt analogies out of this thread. You're going to make some of us look hypocritical.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Jobiensis said:
Not yet, but we are only on the fourth page. Be patient, GAF will deliver.

Sure, here's one. It's like telling someone you're taking the car to the store and then they call the police and say you fled.

jorma

is now taking requests
Also, anyone who is cheering for Sony here is cheering for the DMCA. It really blows my mind that so many people support that abomination of a law.

ViolentP said:
Let's say he had 13k in the bank before this ordeal started. He then takes 13k in donations for legal defense fees. Then he uses his original 13k to go on vacation. Fair game?

Or the vacation was pre-booked and pre-paid for.

Zoe

Trevelyon said:
So, I'm trying to understand here, if he doesn't return to California or the States in general, where does this leave the case? What are the legal ramifications here, does it go beyond civil if he's clearly trying to dodge a losing lawsuit or does it just essentially leave his side dead in the water with the presumption of guilt.

Default judgement which he'd either have to comply to or appeal in court.

tokkun

squatingyeti said:
Seriously, STOP with the "fled" bullshit. Sony was aware he was out of the country.

You usually don't tell someone when you're going to flee. Just keep ignoring it though and stick with the nonsense.

He tampered with the evidence prior to leaving to prevent investigators from heading the data, and is now using the fact that he is out of the country as an excuse not to supply the missing pieces of the drive needed to continue with discovery.

Do you think he made Sony aware of this tampering prior to leaving?

"Fled" sounds like a reasonable descriptor to me.

Curufinwe

squatingyeti said:
Oh, so now it's not "he fled to avoid the case!!!" It doesn't matter what his reasons are for being there or even the fact that Sony KNEW he was there, you guys are still going to carry on with the nonsense. Wow, I'm out.

Will you come back when geohot returns to America?

ViolentP

jorma said:
Also, anyone who is cheering for Sony here is cheering for the DMCA. It really blows my mind that so many people support that abomination of a law.

Fact: If you don't vote, you support rape.

ViolentP said:
How do you know his bank balance details?How do you know he paid for the trip? Why are you operating on the presumption of guilt from sonys lawyers, of all biased sources?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
jorma said:

People are saying this kid is a:

1. Dumbass for tampering with evidence
2. Liar
3. Attention Whore

That's what this thread is about

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Zoe said:
If people really want to see change, they should throw all their support behind EFF and get them to lobby for a DMCA exception.
to everyone insisting that I am some sony fanboy on this... I 100% completely agree with the above statement. If you don't like your current rights in the game industry, support a LEGITIMATE lobby group who DOES care about these same things.. THAT'S how you get change in something like this. Not giving money to some high profile narcissist who tells you he's doing it for self righteous reasons only to take your money and flee to south america with it.

at the end it really is a shame.... however, if you donated a single cent to him and DON'T donate to EFF, CC, etc then you're "noble consumer" reasons are presumably just as full of shit as his were.

squatingyeti said:
One more time for the cheap seats!
We don't know the order of events. I think his lawyer is saying 'you complained that he's out of the country, so obviously he isn't here to give you this stuff'

Dragon

Banned
Gaz Pwnage said:
Or the vacation was pre-booked and pre-paid for.

I think at this point no one knows where the money came from that was used on this vacation. Regardless of where it came from, it makes the guy look bad. I think we can all agree on that.

kamorra said:
And that Sony should win.

I don't think everyone is saying that. There are plenty of anti-Sony people in here. I think it's a good balance.

MrPliskin

Banned
angelfly said:
I really hope you've never modified a system file in Windows or OSX since according to you it's still owned by MS or Apple so you need to stick to what they want you do with the OS paid for.

It's not owned, but it is copyrighted.

If I buy a CD, that doesn't mean I can recreate the material on it, and redistribute it, does it? I can't modify windows and redistribute it on the net, can I? Particularly if it will (or potentially) allow users to circumvent other security measures imposed by other software.

The problem is, there are boundaries, and clearly most "hackers" don't "respect them". Instead, they feel like anything they buy is theirs to do whatever they want with, to include redistribution.

Sure, Sony fucked up when they removed OtherOS, and it was a shitty move, but one poor act does not condone another. Clearly Hotz intentions weren't in the right place, and still are not in the "right place". There is zero room to defend him, at this point, or his actions.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zoe said:
Default judgement which he'd either have to comply to or appeal in court.

default judgments aren't all that powerful, sony still has to get it enforced, he can still negotiate with them outside of court on it, appeal is not your only option when there's a default.

ViolentP

TheHeretic said:
How do you know his bank balance details?How do you know he paid for the trip? Why are you operating on the presumption of guilt from sonys lawyers, of all biased sources?

I don't, dingus, I'm simply illustrating that it's difficult to validate going on vacation after accepting 13k in donations. I'm even being generous by not assuming he fled and is simply in need of some R&R.

Wallach

Lyphen said:
This is one of the few times I've actually laughed on GAF.

I did too. First one was kind of a weird mix of my normal laugh and some kind of noise Wario would make, made it hard to stop.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MrPliskin said:
Fairly similar, actually.

Welp, that settles it. Clearly there is no reason to defend the guy, and instead you flee (rimshot).

I don't have to defend him. Why should I? You guys are clearly set on being on the offense no matter what the issue may be. "he fled!!!!" Actually they knew he was already out of the country. "Oh well, he's still terrible for leaving the country even though we don't know why yet!!!"

I see no point and no results from defending anything when this is what one would be defending against.

Shambles

TheBranca18 said:
I think at this point no one knows where the money came from that was used on this vacation. Regardless of where it came from, it makes the guy look bad. I think we can all agree on that.

I don't think everyone is saying that. There are plenty of anti-Sony people in here. I think it's a good balance.

True, but to parrot the PR team of Sony Legal as truth is something else entirely as well.

alr1ghtstart said:
People are saying this kid is a:

1. Dumbass for tampering with evidence
2. Liar
3. Attention Whore

That's what this thread is about
if you think that's what this thread is about, you might want to check your 1's and 2's.

Lothars

jorma said:

no I don't support DMCA and wish it would change and supporting Geohot will not change DMCA, supporting other organization that are fighting it will but I do support Sony in this specific case against Geohot because he's not a representative of anything and should never of received donations

Hex

Banned
Some people on here are just sad sad fucking tools.
Must be nice to be able to go out of the country when I am so in debt that I have to ask for donations.
You got played, deal with it <dealwithit.gif>.

Melchiah said:
If that's the case, the guy's just a childish moron. When you've been issued a court order, you do as you're told. A sore loser playing immature tricks may get pity in the kindergarten, but not in the court.

And yes, it's tampering with the evidence.

And its not childish and moronic for Sony to go through all this trouble to prove jurisdiction in CA just to make it harder and more expensive for him to defend himself? Why is he called out when Sony is cheered for stinking it to that "moron"?

I don't believe this counts as tempering with evidence because the evidence is the data not the hardware. As long as he complied with the letter of the order he won't get in trouble. We will see what the Judge thinks though.

Lothars said:
no I don't support DMCA and wish it would change and supporting Geohot will not change DMCA, supporting other organization that are fighting it will but I do support Sony in this specific case against Geohot because he's not a representative of anything and should never of received donations

Yes it will Sony is suing him specifically under the provisions of the DMCA. His actions are not contested so if he wins its a big deal.

irony
incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity

MrPliskin

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Sure, here's one. It's like telling someone you're taking the car to the store and then they call the police and say you fled.

Here's a better one:

"Hey Internet, I need donations to fix my car so I can make it to my court date and fight for your rights! Go Consumer!"

Then, buys a Ferrari.

Excessive, poor taste, etc.

Clearly you don't have a problem with it though, so I recommend you donate some money to me, and I'll go rally for the cause in...South America.

ViolentP said:
I don't, dingus, I'm simply illustrating that it's difficult to validate going on vacation after accepting 13k in donations. I'm even being generous by not assuming he fled and is simply in need of some R&R.
Yes thankyou for that insult. Without knowing then circumstances of him leaving it's impossible to assess anything, and misappropriating donations is a serious charge that has to be proven.

Lothars

MrPliskin said:
Sure, Sony fucked up when they removed OtherOS, and it was a shitty move, but one poor act does not condone another. Clearly Hotz intentions weren't in the right place, and still are not in the "right place". There is zero room to defend him, at this point, or his actions.

I 100% agree with you, thanks for posting that.

I'm doing a mental game where I replace every instance of Sony with Activision and imagining how that would change the tone of this thread.

It's pretty funny.

Zoe

TOAO_Cyrus said:
I don't believe this counts as tempering with evidence because the evidence is the data not the hardware. As long as he complied with the letter of the order he won't get in trouble. We will see what the Judge thinks though.

As the discovery company said: the order was for his HDD's, not parts of his HDD's.

I'm impressed with the number of lawyers that post here. They seem to have a clear and unbiased view of the proceedings, as well as an educated view on what constitutes as "fleeing the country".

Dragon

Banned
I think it's more than just pro-Sony or anti-Sony at this point. It's hard to root for a company that is making it hard to do whatever I want with what I bought. At the same time, Hotz hasn't exactly been a saint here and he's done things completely the wrong way. So instead of picking sides let's laugh at how absurd this situation is.

ViolentP

TheHeretic said:
Yes thankyou for that insult. Without knowing then circumstances of him leaving it's impossible to assess anything, and misappropriating donations is a serious charge that has to be proven.

Not an insult, just a jab. Truth is, I agree with you.

Dambrosi

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Is there evidence that he has left the country for the specific purpose of avoiding a law suit, or that any of the money donated for legal defense, was used for anything else?

Furthermore what makes Geohot a bad person, as is implied so frequently here.

It seems pretty obvious to me that many people have some personal attachment to these companies, and dislike those who may have potentially harmed them.
Needs to be quoted again.

Whether Geohot is a douche or not, whether he booked this vacation many months ago or not, and whether Sony (and their fanthings) like it or not, as long as his whereabouts were known to all parties beforehand (and, from all evidence, they were), he's done nothing wrong in this instance. At least come down on him for things he might actually have done wrong, like the alleged tampering.

Gods, I miss the days when Dragona and Drinky Crow were mods. Fanthings got slapped, everyone else was happy. Good times.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm doing a mental game where I replace every instance of Sony with Activision and imagining how that would change the tone of this thread.

It's pretty funny.

I'd support them just like i'd support Nintendo or MS.

TheBranca18 said:
I think it's more than just pro-Sony or anti-Sony at this point. It's hard to root for a company that is making it hard to do whatever I want with what I bought. At the same time, Hotz hasn't exactly been a saint here and he's done things completely the wrong way. So instead of picking sides let's laugh at how absurd this situation is.
What, of substance has he done to which he could be vilified?

Top Bottom