• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : more than 4.000 PS3 dev kits have been shipped to developers

Twix

sorry if old:

CES 2006: PS3 Dev Kits Out
Sony unleashes thousands of dev kits.
by Juan Castro
January 5, 2006 - Here's a little bit of news for those anxiously awaiting the Sony PS3, successor to Sony's ever-popular PS2. The information, or non-news depending on how you want to look at it, came from a Sony press conference held today at the Consumer Electronics Show, held this year at the Las Vegas Convention center.

According to Sony, over 4,000 development kits for the PS3 have shipped to developers. A logical step, and nothing terribly exciting, but it's good to know that developers have something tangible to work with. And that's about it for now.

Stay tuned for more information.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/679/679086p1.html

Stench

Banned
sambomastersmallest2ka.jpg

GAME ON

ROCK AND ROLL BITCHES

Jonnyram said:
Are they counting revisions shipped to the same developers as separate units? :p

No. There are over 4,000 independant developers out there working on the PS3. Launch is going to be insane.

Deku

Banned
They probably mean 4.000 will eventually be shipped to developers sometime in the next few months.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
momolicious said:
are ANY final dev kits out ?

The Reference kits could be considered very good when compared to the final kits. Apearently they are (if rumors are correct) dev kits with lower clocked RSX's.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
4000 reference kits have been sent out, it's amazing which Japanese developers didn't get them yet (or at least, didn't have them a day or so ago)

perhaps they are ranked lower than the other 3994 developers for PS3? ;)

DCharlie said:
4000 reference kits have been sent out, it's amazing which Japanese developers didn't get them yet (or at least, didn't have them a day or so ago)

perhaps they are ranked lower than the other 3994 developers for PS3? ;)
aww, c'mon, you can't just say that without naming names. or you could drop me a pm... i won't say anything. ;)

please? ;(

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Arrrr There be a lot of hilarious speculation in this thread....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
4000 reference kits

No, kits, total. Not just reference kits. I believe from what I read of Guerrilla and some rumblings on B3D that reference kits are out, but they're only out recently :)

Jerkface

Banned
Andrew2 said:
Theres no such thing as a beta PS3 kit. The only thing that exist, is either a Evaluation system or Reference tool. The 4,000 kits that went out is obvioiusly the Reference Tool.

A rose by any other name. :lol

Beowvlf

Banned
If Sony is still on track with their schedules set out at the PlayStation Conference in July, then they had about 3,000 or so evaluation kits out by December, and as of then began shipping Reference kits out.

Thus, I'm betting we're looking at about ~3,000 Evaluation + ~1,000 Reference kits shipped. I wouldn't be surprised if every major developer in the world has at least a couple Reference kits in their offices right now.

If the PS3 truly doesn't launch in any region for another 5-6 months, then it's looking as though devs may have more time with final PS3 kits for launch than any other console launch before it. A Spring launch is still very, very doable as far as I'm concerned. The only things holding Sony back now are producing the desired units and marketing it properly alongside the PS2 and PSP.

Top Bottom