• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

JambiBum

So the demo is up now. As soon as it is done downloading and I have some time to play I'll post my impressions.

derFeef

neorej said:
Nice, too bad the upcoming days are reserved for Kratos, not Sam Fisher.
24q4cb5.gif

Can not wait to get home today and go fishy!

LordAlu

Gah! My gold subscription ran out today :,( I'll have to wait till I can pick up another subscription card this afternoon...

mujun

Initial impressions, very cool. Really easy to pick up and play but lots of options as to how to approach objectives. Love the way they transition from one scene to another too, cool and not something I've seen in movies which I find refreshing.

G_Berry

Banned
neorej said:
Nice, too bad the upcoming days are reserved for Kratos, not Sam Fisher.

I didn't even buy GOW3 today because my backlog is so fucking HUGE.

I'm still trying to finish Dead Space!!

Then Mass effect 2...

Then Heavy Rain...

Then FFXIII!!

urg.

ShogunX

Ok so impressions - For starters the Game looks and feels great and the controls are very tight (essential for stealth type games). There was some screen tearing in the opening bathroom sequence but that seemed to vanish when the game became playable. Sadly Mark and execute does feel like your taking the easy way out as you earn the ability to perform an execution (up to three enemies/actions I think) if you take out an enemy in CQC.

Another thing is the black and white - Im not sure why exactly its in the game and its used quite a lot in the demo. It also seems to be a bit random at times, Switching to B+W when im not in combat ect ect. I wish this feature was used sparingly in dark environments but it seems like its going to be common place throughout the game :(

Despite this I cant wait until the retail release :D

JambiBum

So far I have been playing it exactly like I would play Chaos Theory, and it works perfectly. If I fuck up I just reload a check point and learn from my mistake. The devs said that you could play it however you wanted and they were pretty spot on with that statement.

ShogunX

WickedLaharl said:
i can't get over how fucking much screen tearing there is. christ it is really distracting.

I haven't seen any (or its just not noticeable) since the opening of the demo.

Edit - actually yeah I just had a bit when inside the warehouse bit its not very much at all.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
JambiBum said:
So far I have been playing it exactly like I would play Chaos Theory, and it works perfectly. If I fuck up I just reload a check point and learn from my mistake. The devs said that you could play it however you wanted and they were pretty spot on with that statement.

Does the demo ever force you into combat? I always like to go for the non-lethal approach.

diss

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
i can't get over how fucking much screen tearing there is. christ it is really distracting.
Fuck, I've started the download so I'll see for myself soon, but I hope this isn't the case. Just as I thought Ubisoft had gotten their screen tearing issues to a somewhat satisfactory level!

Darklord said:
Is there a PC demo too?

I don't think any game that uses Ubisofts new DRM scheme will have a demo. And since pretty much every Ubisoft game from here on out will use their new DRM you probably wont ever see another demo of an Ubisoft game again.

S1kkZ

diss said:
Fuck, I've started the download so I'll see for myself soon, but I hope this isn't the case. Just as I thought Ubisoft had gotten their screen tearing issues to a somewhat satisfactory level!

only in the intro, cutscenes. the tearing in the game itself is barely noticable. its not that bad.

Apath

Thought it was pretty meh-tastic. Screen tearing all over and either I suck really bad (most likely) or there is a LOT more shooting in this one. I was playing Gears of War style.

Will try again when I'm not half awake and go for a more stealthy approach.

JambiBum

spindoc said:
Does the demo ever force you into combat? I always like to go for the non-lethal approach.

There aren't non-lethal take downs now. Unless it's a specific plot character then you will always kill the enemy. Which I'm fine with.

As far as forcing you into combat, there is a warehouse where there are 5 or 6 guards that is basically a play pen. You can go at them any way you want to. Here is basically what I did my first time through.

Climbed up the pipe and saw that they had a generator hanging from the ceiling. Waited until a guy walked underneath it and shot it down which killed the thug. Watched from the pipe to see what his team would do and once I had a guy off by himself I jumped off the pipe and killed him. This gave me the M&E ability since it was a CQC takedown. The pistol I had only had three slots and there were four guys left. I climbed into the middle of the room and waited for my chance to take out three of the four left at once. Once I felt like I would be in the clear from the fourth guy I made my shots and took all three out rather quickly. Which looks really great actually. Then I made my way over to the last guy and took him out rather easily.

so played the demo a bit:

looks a bit rough round the edges at this point, but i like the gameplay (hope demo build was old).
It will fill my huge Rainbow Six Void for the time being.

Interrogation was pretty brutal. But i heard that stays the same throughout the game.

I got stuck in a wired fence at the beginning of the demo and had to blow my cover to get killed and restart the level. Screen tearing....., jaggies..

But i really think i can get a lot of fun out of the final game. Hoping for good reviews and i REALLY REALLY hope the co-op is ACE.

ShogunX

JambiBum said:
There aren't non-lethal take downs now. Unless it's a specific plot character then you will always kill the enemy. Which I'm fine with.

When taking a guy as a shield - If you walk with him then you can throw him into a wall or a rock ect ect which I would presume wouldn't kill him :lol

Apath

JambiBum said:

As far as forcing you into combat, there is a warehouse where there are 5 or 6 guards that is basically a play pen. You can go at them any way you want to. Here is basically what I did my first time through.

Climbed up the pipe and saw that they had a generator hanging from the ceiling. Waited until a guy walked underneath it and shot it down which killed the thug. Watched from the pipe to see what his team would do and once I had a guy off by himself I jumped off the pipe and killed him. This gave me the M&E ability since it was a CQC takedown. The pistol I had only had three slots and there were four guys left. I climbed into the middle of the room and waited for my chance to take out three of the four left at once. Once I felt like I would be in the clear from the fourth guy I made my shots and took all three out rather quickly. Which looks really great actually. Then I made my way over to the last guy and took him out rather easily.
Okay, yeah. That's how you're supposed to play. I ran in shooting at two guys who happened to be walking by. I got one and wounded another, so I ran behind cover and reloaded. I then peaked out and took out the wounded, while three others were shooting at me from further back. I got out of their vision, snuck around all the way around, and killed one of the three while he thought I was back where I was at the start. His friends were then quick work as I just charged at them shooting.

WALLAH! VARIETY.

Kenak said:
Thought it was pretty meh-tastic. Screen tearing all over and either I suck really bad (most likely) or there is a LOT more shooting in this one. I was playing Gears of War style.

Will try again when I'm not half awake and go for a more stealthy approach.
i think gears of war style isn't the best way to play this :p

JambiBum

Shogun PaiN said:
When taking a guy as a shield - If you walk with him then you can throw him into a wall or a rock ect ect which I would presume wouldn't kill him :lol

Well alright. You got me there lol. Semantics semantics.

Ten-Song

Played the demo a couple of times now. I don't think it's Chaos Theory good, but I quite like it. Got to the big room with the guards and the pipe you can climb on the second time and just kept retrying it to see how many ways I could screw with everyone. I like the portable EMP generator. :lol

Top Bottom