• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

Screen tearing seems to be worse if you're using VGA according to talk at another forum. Seems to have that Capcom VGA issue.

S1kkZ

still feels like splinter cell, but with a bit more action, violence and better controls.
i really miss the night vision, its very hard to see something in the dark.

as a splinter cell fan, i am happy with the demo.

Apath

S1kkZ said:
still feels like splinter cell, but with a bit more action, violence and better controls.
i really miss the night vision, its very hard to see something in the dark.

as a splinter cell fan, i am happy with the demo.
Did you use your echo goggles via up on the d-pad? I didn't understand the logic behind it, but it works.

S1kkZ

Kenak said:
Did you use your echo goggles via up on the d-pad? I didn't understand the logic behind it, but it works.
yeah, i used them. but i just want something like the night vision. the sonar helps you to spot the enemies, but its still too dark.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So can anyone confirm if you can clear the demo without actually killing anyone?

I get the flashy moves and all that, but the real meat of the game to me is when you have to juggle your foe without actually engaging them directly; Much harder and much more satisfying to pull off.

Ten-Song

Oh man, sticky cams are great now. The noise they make is amusing, and the detonation on them is pretty damn impressive for such a small device.

Jb

spindoc said:
So can anyone confirm if you can clear the demo without actually killing anyone?

I get the flashy moves and all that, but the real meat of the game to me is when you have to juggle your foe without actually engaging them directly; Much harder and much more satisfying to pull off.

I'd like to know as well.
That's imo what makes the previous games so fun to replay: trying to achieve the perfect run, with 0 kills and 0 alarms.

Also, I never quite understood the complaints about the controls in the past entries in the saga. On PC at least, I never had any problems.

Gowans

Well it's definatly Spinter Cell I'm happy.

Demos short but worth a few plays, this first round I gunned far to much learning the controls.

Can't wait, will play again on my next break.

JambiBum

spindoc said:

So the play through I just did I didn't shoot at all besides the first few guys where it is teaching you how to play. Everyone that I needed to dispose of I only used my hands. Also there are a few people you can just ignore if they aren't on your direct path. The ones that are in the way you do need to dispose of though. Hopefully that helps ease your worries.

Also, as a huge fan of the SC series, I really enjoy what they have done so far judging by the demo. In Chaos Theory they always gave you the option to use an assault kit loadout but it never seemed like the game would really allow for that style of play. Especially with how Sam controlled. Now though, I really do feel like they have given you not only the choice to play it as you wish, but the ability to as well. My first play through took the longest because I wanted to go through it without being noticed a single time unless I wanted to draw attention to myself. Every time I screwed up I would just load my checkpoint. The demo isn't perfect but it definitely suits me.

Sectus

spindoc said:

First of all, there's no non-lethal takedowns so you have to kill or avoid enemies. Avoiding them is definitely out of the question since they're all in your way. And there's several times you have enemies standing right next to eachother, and I don't see how you're supposed to get past those without using mark and execute.

Maybe if you intentionally get seen, you might be able to move around them since they have a tendency to stand in place after they see you, but I don't know. I doubt that'll work all the time, and intentionally getting seen isn't very stealthy.

WickedLaharl said:
i can't get over how fucking much screen tearing there is. christ it is really distracting.

Maybe this is one of those games that has more tearing on some screens than others? Because I had a bit during the bathroom, but not too bad, then nothing in the warehouse.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
First of all, there's no non-lethal takedowns so you have to kill or avoid enemies. Avoiding them is definitely out of the question since they're all in your way. And there's several times you have enemies standing right next to eachother, and I don't see how you're supposed to get past those without using mark and execute.

Maybe if you intentionally get seen, you might be able to move around them since they have a tendency to stand in place after they see you, but I don't know. I doubt that'll work all the time, and intentionally getting seen isn't very stealthy.

What about distractions? Throwing a bottle in a random direction, or using some noise gadget to pull them away from your path?

JambiBum

spindoc said:
What about distractions? Throwing a bottle in a random direction, or using some noise gadget to pull them away from your path?
I'm guessing you missed my post, but, you can't throw random objects now as a distraction. You do however still have the sticky camera which you can use to make noise. The sticky camera actually plays a song now which I find hilarious.

Mafro

Wow, that was a short demo :|

Pretty good though, I'll be playing through it few times to try out different tactics.

Sectus

spindoc said:
You can't throw objects (as far as I know anyway). The only noise gadget you have are the sticky cameras, and those are severely limited.

I'd be very curious to see an actual stealthy run of the demo without doing easy kills with your guns, but from what I've played that kinda seems impossible.

I had fun with the demo, but it's just ridiculously easy. There was no challenge whatsoever on the highest difficulty

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
JambiBum said:
I'm guessing you missed my post, but, you can't throw random objects now as a distraction. You do however still have the sticky camera which you can use to make noise. The sticky camera actually plays a song now which I find hilarious.

Damn. I guess me and sticky are going to be good friends from now on. Shooting out lights to sneak under the cover of darkness still works right?

There was no challenge whatsoever on the highest difficulty

It's funny you say that, one of the design decisions to pull away from the Chaos Theory gameplay model was that the game just got too easy :/ . Which is partly true, hence my weird obsession with doing complete stealth runs.

Ten-Song

spindoc said:
Shooting out lights to sneak under the cover of darkness still works right?

Yup. Light sources even have have a red marker around your reticule so identifying and shooting out lights is way easier now too.

spindoc said:

i kinda doubt that. but i'm not sure.

JambiBum

Ten-Song said:
Yup. Light sources even have have a red marker around your reticule so identifying and shooting out lights is way easier now too.

You can just aim and shoot at whatever you want to take out. You do know that right? They just give you the option to do it the other way.

Ten-Song

JambiBum said:
You can just aim and shoot at whatever you want to take out. You do know that right? They just give you the option to do it the other way.

Wasn't talking about mark and execute for lights, but I guess I didn't word my last post well. Just sayin' that the sort of "empty space or enemy" identifier with your aiming reticule turning from white to red helps to show when you're aiming at a light.

Actually didn't know you could use mark and execute on lights! Knew you could do it on traps, but didn't think to try it on other stuff. :lol

JambiBum

Ten-Song said:
Wasn't talking about mark and execute for lights, but I guess I didn't word my last post well. Just sayin' that the sort of "empty space or enemy" identifier with your aiming reticule turning from white to red helps to show when you're aiming at a light.

Ah ok. I see what you're saying now. Just misinterpreted your post.

S1kkZ said:
only in the intro, cutscenes. the tearing in the game itself is barely noticable. its not that bad.

yeah... no. i wish it weren't noticeable in-game, but it is. just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't there.

as for the gameplay itself i had fun. seemed a bit too easy to play it as a cover shoot though. hopefully the AI is better at flanking and flushing you out in the full game.

Pretty good and really fun.
Once you master the controls it would be even better.

Only bad things I found was the screen tearing and that popup indicator to show that you can mark and execute was a bit loud compared to the rest of the game.

S1kkZ

WickedLaharl said:
yeah... no. i wish it weren't noticeable in-game, but it is. just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't there.
i notice the tearing in the gameplay, but its not bad. the tearing in the toilet scene intro is bad, but in the game itself its no issue at all.

i play in 720p via hdmi.

WickedLaharl said:

as for the gameplay itself i had fun. seemed a bit too easy to play it as a cover shoot though. hopefully the AI is better at flanking and flushing you out in the full game.

It was the same with me, noticeable tearing in the intro but didn't notice much if, any tearing the rest of the way.

pilonv1

Quite enjoyed it but I don't like earning executes. Seems too gamey for no good reason. I know it's too easy but if I can headshot three guys in three shots in one room why can't I do it in another?

Only noticed the screen tearing at the start, it's not that bad.

Played through the demo twice. I loved it. Makes me happy to have pre-ordered the CE.

And this tearing people keep talking about, you people must have a bad tv, I can't see shit and it looks good.

Dabanton

Yeah this tearing business is a little ott i saw a little bit at the beginning in the toilet other than that none.

Anyway just on my second run through and you can see the possibilites. I left two guards alive outside i might go back and kil them both. :lol

Movement which is important in a game like this,feels nice like Uncharted 2 moving Fisher about just feels right. Also the tactics are fun i just took out a room of goons with a mark and excute and a sticky camera bomb. Had one guy left who i lured near a pipe wioth another sticky camera before killing him from above. :D

edit: :lol i just fired off a machine gun and the guys outside are going crazy.

Just played through the demo, the only time I got screen tearing was when I'd spin the camera around really fast, other than that I didnt notice any during the whole warehouse sequence. Controls are great, much better than past splinter cells imo. Day 1!!

Seems like they set it up so you kill hand to hand someone who is alone, then mark and execute a pair and rinse and repeat. Hopefully its not like that for the whole game.

Jb

Just played through the demo twice on hard and.... while enjoyable, I can't help but feel sad about the direction SC has taken. Everything about Conviction feels dumbed down: unlimited sonar radar that shows you where every guard is, the execution kills, the cover system...
It's a detail but I also hate that the game assumes you can't remember what the controls are, just like in Batman:AA. At least give me the option to deactivate the on-screen prompts :(.

If it turns out the SP really is only 5 hours long, I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin.

pilonv1

infinityBCRT said:
Seems like they set it up so you kill hand to hand someone who is alone, then mark and execute a pair and rinse and repeat. Hopefully its not like that for the whole game.

That's the problem I have with earning the executes. It feels so forced for no good reason.

Will be very disappointed if you can't make your way through non-lethal too.

Other than that everything is very impressive.

Top Bottom