• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
V_Ben said:
its true. it looks f*cking stupid.

also, this game doesn't look so good. really. the projected stuff is nice and all, but apart from that, it looks pretty bland.

C'mon, this is not true, tell me you're just fucking around! That's fucking hilarious if true.:lol

Interfectum

ugh... the demo sucked. wtf have they done to Splinter Cell? who are they making this game for? drooling retards?

hopefully it'll bomb.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Confidence Man said:
Sounds like another franchise down the drain. Not that I would ever touch a Ubisoft game on PC again.

Hope it bombs.

Don't be like that man. The demo was fucking fun. It's just different.

EvaPlusMinus said:

Then they should make a different game, license the Bourne IP, or whatever.

Everywhere you turn once genre-defining games are being muddled and changed to entice the same mainstream audience. Maybe it makes good business sense, but it's to everyone's detriment, ultimately.

EagleEyes

Foxtastical said:
If only they just made an old Splinter Cell again. I love playing the past.
Lol no kidding. I think with the co-op campaign and the ability to take it at a faster pace if you want will make this a big hit on Xbox live. Plus the fact that it basically has April all to itself on 360.

Confidence Man said:
Then they should make a different game, license the Bourne IP, or whatever.

Everywhere you turn once genre-defining games are being muddled and changed to entice the same mainstream audience. Maybe it makes good business sense, but it's to everyone's detriment, ultimately.

We had four "classic" Splinter Cell games. Do you think it's time for a change ? It's still a stealth game, just a different one. It's not like the series became TPS or RPG.

Interfectum

LordPhoque said:
We had four "classic" Splinter Cell games. Do you think it's time for a change ? It's still a stealth game, just a different one. It's not like the series became TPS or RPG.

No one is against change if it's for the better. There are many things they could've done to improve upon the Chaos Theory formula but still staying to it's roots.

This is stealth for idiots. It might as well be a third person shooter at this point.

Interfectum

MomoPufflet said:
What the fuck, people jizzing over the action-stealth for the past 8 months now complaining about it? :lol

got any names / posts? who were these 'people' that were 'jizzing' over the action-stealth genre?

squicken

Interfectum said:
No one is against change if it's for the better. There are many things they could've done to improve upon the Chaos Theory formula but still staying to it's roots.

This is stealth for idiots. It might as well be a third person shooter at this point.

Yeah I'm open to the possibility that Chaos Theory was the pinnacle of that type of stealth game. I have no problem with trying something new. It's just that what they came up with isn't the answer.

Sophia

The Panther noise is only there when you obtain a "Mark and Execute." I don't recall it playing any other time. Playing via VGA at 1080p, I didn't notice too much if any screen tearing in the actual gameplay itself.

The actual gameplay feels more streamlined then anything. I have a feeling there's going to be mixed opinions overall. The people who hate the trial and error nature of previous Splinter Cell games are going to love this one, as it's pretty forgiving even on the hardest setting. On the other hand, the people who loved the style of the older Splinter Cell games and going for "perfect" runs are likely to be disappointed. I personally couldn't care less, as I was never fond of the single player modes of the previous games.

If I pick it up or not will depend on how long the campaign is, and how good the multiplayer is. I kinda wish there was a XBL only co-op level included with the demo, like what Army of Two did.

Interfectum

squicken said:
Yeah I'm open to the possibility that Chaos Theory was the pinnacle of that type of stealth game. I have no problem with trying something new. It's just that what they came up with isn't the answer.

I can't wait to see what Squeenix does to Hitman. I'll die a little inside when that day comes... :(

Interfectum said:

Ah, "staying to its roots," that's when I bail.

Zeliard

MomoPufflet said:
Like, the entire official/hype thread before the multiplayer bitching.

The action focus and other dumb unnecessary shit like the screen going black-and-white when you're hidden has received huge criticism from Splinter Cell fans ever since real info about the game was released.

Interfectum

MGS4 has a dude who shits his pants, SC:C has growls and claw marks to let little Timmy know he's pulled off an extreme move. Not sure which is worse at this point. :lol

Zeliard said:
The action focus and other dumb unnecessary shit like the screen going black-and-white when you're hidden has received huge criticism from Splinter Cell fans ever since real info about the game was released.
Whats' so bad about the screen going black/white? I don't mind the visual cue to the darkness covering me up.

Sophia

Yeah I'm not so sure what's bad about the screen going black and white either. It never bothered me after I figured out what it meant.

It's a bit sad that you can't pick objects and throw them to distract enemies. That's what I loved about the past SC games. There were so many ways to move around levels. Hell, that's what I'd do in real life if I was trying to break out. Pick up a can, rock, anything, and throw it to make the guards/enemies move in another direction. :lol

Interfectum

Foxtastical said:
Whats' so bad about the screen going black/white? I don't mind the visual cue to the darkness covering me up.

You mean having your on-screen character hiding in shadows isn't enough of a visual cue?

I quite liked it. I suck at it pretty badly.

Moving cover to cover is quite nice as is the general fluidity of the movement.

I belong in the group of people who enjoys the mark & execute sytem.

Shooting outside of mark & execute is pretty average (although I've not done it that much to be honest).

Haven't tried the gadgets yet. Should be fun toying with them.

Some of the AI refuses to see you even if you do a little Irish jig in front of them a lot of the time just because you are 'in the dark'.

I'll play more on a harder difficulty setting.

I think the game will live and die on its level design.

The main bad guy in the demo has the stupidest fucking outfit ever seen in a game that takes itself this seriously.

Definitely day 1 for me unless the reviews tank.

Zeliard

Foxtastical said:

It's not necessary, and it hurts both the (otherwise gorgeous) visuals and the immersion factor. Not to mention it's fairly insulting to the player. Previous stealth games, including past SC games, had no issue with conveying that you're hidden without doing something as extreme and distracting as what Conviction is doing.

EvaPlusMinus said:

It's like every other fucking Clancy game, then.

And seriously, if the A.I. really is bad, then shame on Ubi for once again opting against refining what needs refining, and instead going all "oh shiny" like they always fucking do.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
It's a bit sad that you can't pick objects and throw them to distract enemies. That's what I loved about the past SC games. There were so many ways to move around levels. Hell, that's what I'd do in real life if I was trying to break out. Pick up a can, rock, anything, and throw it to make the guards/enemies move in another direction. :lol

2 words...

Sticky Cam

DualX

Foxtastical said:
People will find a reason not to like something regardless of how much effort has been put into the product. Unfortunately it's impossible to please everyone.

Zeliard said:
It's not necessary, and it hurts both the (otherwise gorgeous) visuals and the immersion factor. Not to mention it's fairly insulting to the player. Previous stealth games, including past SC games, had no issue with conveying that you're hidden without doing something as extreme and distracting as what Conviction is doing.
You'd rather have a meter telling you just how hidden you are in the darkness?

It doesn't really bother me, it's a slight visual cue that doesn't take me out of the game. Sometimes a location doesn't look like you'd be hidden there, sometimes it does. The meter from Chaos Theory helped you, now this visual cue helps. Oh well.

But I'd agree that sometimes it can make spotting things difficult.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's like every other fucking Clancy game, then.

And seriously, if the A.I. really is bad, then shame on Ubi for once again opting against refining what needs refining, and instead going all "oh shiny" like they always fucking do.
The AI seems similar to most games out there. Some people will hate it because of a few instances where they catch the AI doing dumb shit, and other people will like it because it's functional.

Sophia

AltogetherAndrews said:

I dunno, the AI's kinda a mixed bag. On one hand, they're alert and a good (but not unrealistc) shot. You certainly couldn't go Gears of War/Rambo on them on the hardest setting given you die just as fast (or faster?) then they do.

On the other hand, they do seem to be fairly easy to lose. I'm not sure if this is because of the new marking system (the game marks where they last saw you at with an outline) or what, but once you've gotten out of their sights well enough you can take them them down pretty easily even if they're still searching for you.

I think I'll need to play through again but it definitely felt a lot more SC-ish than I expected based on the way people on GAF have trashed the game. I'm a huge Chaos Theory fan but I'm willing to give this a shot with an open mind.

The best way to describe this imo is that it's just a streamlined Splinter Cell. I'm sure that'll be even more frustrating to some of the die hards (which I would consider myself) because you can recognize the similarities, yet the differences may make it difficult to play it in the same way that you used to. I think it's clear that the rhythm of this game is much quicker than it was in past games. This demo moved very quickly and reminds me of the most tense moments of the past games as far as enemy placement and combat opportunities. The old games had moments like this but also the slower paced moments which I personally enjoyed a lot. Hopefully there are more of those opportunities than this demo let on.

Foxtastical said:

How about not having any cues, like a person acually in that situation wouldn't have any? How about not ever knowing whether or not you're 100% invisible? How about not ever having 100% invisibility in the first place?

Maybe a guard who just came out of a bright room wouldn't have his eyes adjusted to the darkness yet, making it easier to hide. Mabye a guard who doesn't really give a shit about his job won't bother to check down this or that hallway. Maybe another guard just got chewed out, and will be extra attentive.

Model all that stuff behind the scenes. Make it a realistic, unpredictable, and tense experience. That's what I would want from a new SC game.

Zeliard

ElFly said:
:lol

I spent 90% of SC 1 and Chaos Theory with the infravision/heat googles on.

"On". This implies off, as in you can turn it off. It's equipment that he is using - you have choice in the matter. None of this applies to the black-and-white.

Confidence Man said:
How about not having any cues, like a person acually in that situation wouldn't have any? How about not ever knowing whether or not you're 100% invisible? How about not ever having 100% invisibility in the first place?

Maybe a guard who just came out of a bright room wouldn't have his eyes adjusted to the darkness yet, making it easier to hide. Mabye a guard who doesn't really give a shit about his job won't bother to check down this or that hallway. Maybe another guard just got chewed out, and will be extra attentive.

Model all that stuff behind the scenes. Make it a realistic, unpredictable, and tense experience. That's what I would want from a new SC game.
Well, I'd rather play a game instead of daydreaming about what I want from a game.

NG28

I really liked what I played from the demo. It's a good mix of stealth and action. I think a lot of people are going to like it and those who want it to bomb are going to be disappointed.

Foil

Foxtastical said:

Or how about, ya know, atleast giving people the option to turn it off? Simple.

DualX said:
People will find a reason not to like something regardless of how much effort has been put into the product. Unfortunately it's impossible to please everyone.

No. People don't like it because it's fucking stupid. It has nothing to do with the overall game, they're simply talking about that one design choice. Actually two now with the ridiculous panther noise and claw marks after kills. People can still like and enjoy the game. That doesn't mean they have to like every design feature the developer put in. More so ones that don't make any sense.

Top Bottom