• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City Demo now available

Ivan

How would you guys compare m/k and gamepad for this game? It looks like a gamepad is a more natural fit for Robocop :D

MiguelItUp

Man, it's SO good. Teyon is definitely knocking it out as best as they can yet again. Much like Terminator, I think this is going to be the best Robocop game we've ever gotten. I'm so hyped.

The music hit me SO hard. I loved it.

The only stutters I've seen are during some cutscenes, but nothing crazy by any means. I'm sure it'll get worked out anyway. I'm so happy and excited.

Honestly, I'm really curious to see what they work on next. Because after Terminator, and this, they definitely have all my attention.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They should do an

Animal crossing x Robocop Game

yLPn3zm.jpg

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I like it but the massive stutters during combat make it unplayable atm. Another Unreal Engine victim...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, it's SO good. Teyon is definitely knocking it out as best as they can yet again. Much like Terminator, I think this is going to be the best Robocop game we've ever gotten. I'm so hyped.

The music hit me SO hard. I loved it.

The only stutters I've seen are during some cutscenes, but nothing crazy by any means. I'm sure it'll get worked out anyway. I'm so happy and excited.

Honestly, I'm really curious to see what they work on next. Because after Terminator, and this, they definitely have all my attention.
They definitely have a great appreciation and understanding for 80s action flicks, and know how to deliver the goods when it comes to fan service.

I even found some new appreciation for that Rambo video game that they did some years ago. Everyone was ragging on it for being a rail shooter but honestly, it's not such a bad game. And sure enough, it really puts you in the mood to rewatch those movies.

Gp1

Is there a way to change the Auto-9 to semi auto?

I really hope that Teyon polish RoboCop's animations on the cut scenes for the 1.0.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They've removed one of the side stuff in the police station where you have to listen to people and decide what to do. I think it's a good decision.

It looks like they've listened to a lot of feedback from the closed beta (including my own) and made the game better. For example, cutscenes are much better now in therms of fluidity and just overal quality, so there's no more abrupt transitions, bad animations, model and texture clipping. Auto 9 is a blast to use right now (played the demo using Dual Sense with haptic feedback (A-fuckin'-mazing!), you literally feel each bullet, how it explodes, each impact when they hit an enemy plus there's amazing gore, brains splatter all over the place, ball shots are great, really cool environmental distruction, explosion effects etc. This is real the real M for Mature stuff right here, just like the first movie was if not even more.

BUT.... goddamn shader compilation stutters, FFS. I really thought that UE5 won't have this problem, but looks like it's here to stay, AGAIN. Fuckin' shit. It better be fixed for launch, there's still a month left.
Is there a way to change the Auto-9 to semi auto?
No.
I really hope that Teyon polish RoboCop's animations on the cut scenes for the 1.0.
They already did, have you played closed beta? They were much worse there.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
so the gore is there , what about deaths like these for baddies...................
8EQkjoA.gif

would be great if you could do that ingame
It has everything. There's even a mini game where you shoot jars of baby food to calibrate your aim. And then there's a special mode called "heroic aim" where camera switches to third person and you can strike cool poses to shoot bad guys without looking, just like in the movie:
robocop-robo.gif

There's even a mini game where you have to mash the A button to laugh as hard as you can whenever the "I'll buy that for a dollar" guy appears on one of the television screens throughout the game.

GymWolf

For the gun nuts in here, what model does he use in the movies?

When he fire it kinda looks like a machine gun (it looks like it fire more than one bullet per shot) and the damage is too big for a 9mm.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

They posted this on Discord:
We want to address the performance issues you've been having in the last hours on the RoboCop: Rogue City Demo. While this was unforeseen, please rest assured the teams over at TEYON are working on fixes as we write these lines, and we'll hopefully be able to stabilize the situation in the upcoming days. It would seem the source of the problem comes from shader compilation.

Hopefully a main menu shader comp solution.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Is this based on Robocop 1 only?

I really, really want to see a RoboCain 3D model in all the modern videogame engines glory.

BbMajor7th

Jesus you people are fucking cringe. No, they wont just like all the other FPS games where you fools asked for third person such as cyberpunk. Fucking play other games if you dont like FPS.
I honestly think it would have made more sense in third-person. The cool thing about Robocop is how he moved: his feet were very planted but he would pivot at the waist, pointing and shooting without having to look - all that goes away in first person. It ends up looking like any other FPS and doesn't have the weight of the original character. Would have been cool to see all the bullets bouncing off the armor too, the gun being stored in the hip... real shame to be honest that they decided to make a Robocop game where you can't see Robocop and you move around like a regular human.

FireFly

I honestly think it would have made more sense in third-person. The cool thing about Robocop is how he moved: his feet were very planted but he would pivot at the waist, pointing and shooting without having to look - all that goes away in first person. It ends up looking like any other FPS and doesn't have the weight of the original character. Would have been cool to see all the bullets bouncing off the armor too, the gun being stored in the hip... real shame to be honest that they decided to make a Robocop game where you can't see Robocop and you move around like a regular human.
From the footage the player movement looks suitably stiff and tank-like.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Your gun arm is always glued to the bottom right of your screen and your whole body and position moves when you aim - it even has ADS, when Robocop's whole thing was shooting from the hip like an absolute bad boy.
You don't have to aim for sure, let alone use anybing but Auto 9 - the gun is a fuckin' beast and it has unlimited ammo. There's also various upgrades you can get, like being able to see where the bullet will hit before shooting to do some cool trick shots using environment that way. Pretty much all you can see Murphy doing in the movie during gunfight is here in the game too.
Does RoboCop's gun have the right sound?
Yes it does. Much better now than it was in closed beta. Can't say that about muzzle flashes though, they're not like in the movie still, but everything else is there. Maybe someone will find a way to mod them in.

They posted this on Discord:

We want to address the performance issues you've been having in the last hours on the RoboCop: Rogue City Demo. While this was unforeseen, please rest assured the teams over at TEYON are working on fixes as we write these lines, and we'll hopefully be able to stabilize the situation in the upcoming days. It would seem the source of the problem comes from shader compilation.
Oh wow, really? Dang, I never would've thought that it is the real reason:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Sarcasm aside though, it's good news that Teyon looking into it, it's just I find it hard to believe that it was "unforeseen". I mean, c'mon, there's no way no one could't see all this during testing and QA, unless... unless of course they've played builds of the game with already precompiled shaders and so the issues wasn't there.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Except you don't move like a human, it looks extremely tanky.

BbMajor7th

Except you don't move like a human, it looks extremely tanky.
The camera whips around like COD - you can 180 in about three frames. That's not Robocop, not at all. It's unavoidable with FPS though, because camera and character movement are tied. It's why I think it would have made more sense as a third-person game. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
They've removed one of the side stuff in the police station where you have to listen to people and decide what to do.
No..? I did this yesterday. Some guy with a dog named fire, some guy who wanted to collect his own bounty and a mother searching for her son.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No..? I did this yesterday. Some guy with a dog named fire, some guy who wanted to collect his own bounty and a mother searching for her son.
So they didn't?:pie_thinking: I'm pretty sure it was right after you get to the police station with all other optional stuff. Hmm, okay, I'll play the demo more to see it for myself then:pie_smfaceyes:

VulcanRaven

RoboCop moves very slowly in the movies. You never see him run. With first person they can cheat a little bit and make him faster without it looking odd.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The camera whips around like COD - you can 180 in about three frames. That's not Robocop, not at all. It's unavoidable with FPS though, because camera and character movement are tied. It's why I think it would have made more sense as a third-person game. 🤷‍♂️

I was talking about the movements, the aim would be snappy both in third person and first person to accomodate the fast paced gameplay, you would not have robocop real life limitations in a videogame.

I get that it would be cool to see the animations, i generally always prefer third person to first person, but first person here seems more immersive, and the trademark green aim reticle looks just better in first person, it is exactly what real life robocop would see in a gunfight.

And i don't how much i would digest seeing my character walking so slowly in third person, it would feel like rdr2 but much worse, first person imo alleviate the problem even if the actual speed is the same.

Last edited:

Polelock

Is this only for PC?

Either way, great to see a few fairly big games have demos recently. How i've missed the times where almost every game did.
Agreed man. Demos used to be a great way to hook people. I remember buying a Playstation magazine when the PS1 was fairly new and it had a Syphon Filter demo. I played that for hundreds of hours and got the game as soon as it came out.

Mobilemofo

Jesus you people are fucking cringe. No, they wont just like all the other FPS games where you fools asked for third person such as cyberpunk. Fucking play other games if you dont like FPS.
Calm down son. Christ..you had your Weetabix this morning? Is that time of the month for you? Bless.. we all hate going to school but that's life.

Get yaself a bag of crisps and calm down. 😄

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Reading between the lines, is this one of those games that needs to be installed on an SSD?

Mine is installed on a 1 terabyte WD_Black 7N770 NVMe SSD and I still get the microstuttering as well.

Rig:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 11
Nvidia Geforce 2080 Founder's Edition with latest driver
Dell 24" GSync 165hz monitor

Running everything maxed settings wise at 2560x1440 165hz and looks great and performs well. It's just the microstutter that is annoying as hell. No
doubt it's a shader cache compiling issue.

I love grabbing the goons by the neck and just launching them through the plate glass windows.

z5PomN8.gif

Top Bottom