• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

Barakov

Hmmm.......definitely have mixed feelings about this one. I really liked the interrogation scene at the beginning. The mark and execute stuff is cool and I'm glad they were able to limit it. Although the idea of you have to do a hand-to-hand takedown in order to use it seems kinda weird because this is Splinter Cell or supposed to be anyway. I also don't like the fact that you aren't given the option to take down guys non-lethally. As well as enemies not reacting to bodies irks me as well. The AI in SC games have never been great but it seems like they straight up ignore the bodies in this one based on the demo.

I'm still very much looking forward to this one but I'm definitely not as excited for it as I was.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Jeez. Relax guys. It's just a game-demo. So it's neither multiplatform, nor available for Silver members on Xbox Live. I'm getting the demo from usenet now, and I'll know later if that's a ban-able crime. Worked fine with the RE5 demo.

RedStep

EvaPlusMinus said:
It's not the same Splinter Cell, but it's damn good. Sam is fuckin' hunting this time around. I both miss the old ways, and like this new style. Will buy.

I support this notion. I think the new one is great, and I also enjoyed all the old ones. I don't mind the gameplay changing to suit the story. Sam has no reason to avoid alarms, minimize casualties, or generally do anything but slaughter those in his way this time (from what I can tell).

Played it through twice to try and go as many routes as possible, and although it's looking to be a good game, it's not what I really wanted from Splinter Cell. There isn't enough playing with the lights, and the whole thing feels very much like an action shooter with stealth elements instead of a stealth game. You can't even choose non lethal means when taking out guards, and I couldn't even find out how to move bodies (if you can even do that).

The graphics all around, and animation on Fisher is very good though. I just wish it was applied to a real stealth game instead of The Fish Ultimatum...

RedStep said:
I support this notion. I think the new one is great, and I also enjoyed all the old ones. I don't mind the gameplay changing to suit the story. Sam has no reason to avoid alarms, minimize casualties, or generally do anything but slaughter those in his way this time (from what I can tell).

Options never hurt anything y'know.

tenz0r

So far so good for me, here are my pro and cons from the demo

+Love the new mark and execute system
+makes me feel like Jack Bauer & Jason Bourne
+The controls actually grew on me, and I like the layout now
+excellent soundtrack & sound once again
+Pulling off kills have never been more satisfying especially if it goes smooth (inside the where house, I was able to shoot down that electrifying thing which killed one guy, then I marked and executed 3 guys then dropped down from the pipe with a death from above on another.

-Yes, there is a panther claw thing when you kill an enemy by stealth, and it makes the game look stupid/silly.
-Demo was short, but it was expected. I wish there was a co-op demo also.
-Minor screen tearing for me in the early parts of the game (bathroom interrogation)
-It has lost some of it's Splinter Cell uniqueness from past games in return for a more Batman AA mixed with Bourne Conspiracy type game although not necessary a bad thing, but I think the old splinter cell days are dead =(

Overall, still a day one purchase for me. Since this is just a demo, I really hope the panther claw is not in the final version and the screen tearing is not consistent for the rest of the game.

luffeN

Do we know if Sam will always be without proper gadgets? The E3 presentation showed that he was captured, so maybe when cooperating he will get his gear back and gameplay will be more SC like than this demo.

No_Style

Apparently the demo is running at:

Digital Foundry Twitter & Beyond3D Forum said:
1040x585 2x MSAA

All that post processing must be doing a good job since there aren't any complaints about the looks.

rvy

Banned
No_Style said:

All that post processing must be doing a good job since there aren't any complaints about the looks.
Only some minor tearing in the bathroom section.

FrankT

I like the looks on the game quite a bit, but this;

rvy said:
Only some minor tearing in the bathroom section.

There are issues of this even beyond the bathroom. They have had forever and a day to polish this title and I really hope they turn vsync on in the end. It's more than say AC2 at 5% or so and having the FR unlocked. Talk about this issue a bit later with my full impressions.

DrBo42

As a huge fan of the franchise the biggest draw back of the mechanics in this lack of a stealth/incapacitate option. I get that this whole thing is fueled by revenge so he's violent but we couldn't even get a knockout option? The mark and execute system works well and is actually a blast in certain situations like the area just before the demo ends with the 3 guys in the tight space. 2 were behind a table shoulder to shoulder while the other was towards the front guarding the entrance. I dropped down on one of the guys behind the table, executed which made me snap the guard's neck directly next to me and finish off the guy at the end of the room with a round to the head. All within 3 seconds. The panther thing is cheesy but they did do a good job (at least in the demo) of making you feel pretty awesome. I just wish I had options in a scenario past how I'm going to kill everyone in the room.

Sanic

-I don't like the black and white thing.
-It's hard to see anything at times. I want night vision, not sonar
-My second playthrough on normal, I just ran through guns blazing and did just fine and finished the demo in far less time. It wasn't that fun and that's not how SC should play, i'm kinda dissapointed I could even do that.
-AI was meh.
-This demo was way too short to get a sense of things.

Overall...it was alright. Not a day one purchase like SC 1-3 were. I normally don't mind change but I don't really understand why they've done what they have here (or even what they did in double agent). Were sales lagging? Were they bored of making the same thing? I just think there was still life left in the old formula.

Pandoracell said:
-I don't like the black and white thing.
-It's hard to see anything at times. I want night vision, not sonar
-My second playthrough on normal, I just ran through guns blazing and did just fine and finished the demo in far less time. It wasn't that fun and that's not how SC should play, i'm kinda dissapointed I could even do that.
-AI was meh.
-This demo was way too short to get a sense of things.

Overall...it was alright. Not a day one purchase like SC 1-3 were. I normally don't mind change but I don't really understand why they've done what they have here (or even what they did in double agent). Were sales lagging? Were they bored of making the same thing? I just think there was still life left in the old formula.
Then don't do that.

dralla

really disappointed from the demo. aiming is really sluggish, voice acting is bad, I don't want to play the game in black and white, execute system is so contrived

kaskade

DrBo42 said:
As a huge fan of the franchise the biggest draw back of the mechanics in this lack of a stealth/incapacitate option. I get that this whole thing is fueled by revenge so he's violent but we couldn't even get a knockout option? The mark and execute system works well and is actually a blast in certain situations like the area just before the demo ends with the 3 guys in the tight space. 2 were behind a table shoulder to shoulder while the other was towards the front guarding the entrance. I dropped down on one of the guys behind the table, executed which made me snap the guard's neck directly next to me and finish off the guy at the end of the room with a round to the head. All within 3 seconds. The panther thing is cheesy but they did do a good job (at least in the demo) of making you feel pretty awesome. I just wish I had options in a scenario past how I'm going to kill everyone in the room.
I never even thought about a close melee execute move. There's that one spot before you get to the scientist part where you are put up right next to two enemies. I wonder what he does for 2 people. Can't wait to get home and try it out again. I only got to play once before work.

Sanic

Foxtastical said:
Then don't do that.

Well yeah, obviously, but I felt compelled to do it anyway as there were situations where it seemed I was forced to do it, with the way enemies clumped together.

It seems like they have really dove headfirst into style. Which is not a bad thing, really, but I'm getting the impression that it comes at the expense of depth, logic and clarity. You can complain about the sound and light meters used in the previous games, but such devices do actually exist, and an alternative that is actively affecting the game world seems blunt as hell. The projection also seemed overtly blunt, but the claw thing sounds plain goofy weird. Like the peculiar "innovations" of Far Cry 2, these things sound like they could have used a more critical look, but we'll see.

Jtyettis said:
There are issues of this even beyond the bathroom. They have had forever and a day to polish this title and I really hope they turn vsync on in the end. It's more than say AC2 at 5% or so and having the FR unlocked. Talk about this issue a bit later with my full impressions.

Eh, Ubisoft has traditionally treated tearing as a tool to polish up framerate, so I doubt anything will change.

dak1dsk1 said:
Jeez. Relax guys. It's just a game-demo. So it's neither multiplatform, nor available for Silver members on Xbox Live. I'm getting the demo from usenet now, and I'll know later if that's a ban-able crime. Worked fine with the RE5 demo.
Are you aware that even the full game is not being released on PS3?

dak1dsk1

Banned
It is possible to bypass those racist Xbox Live Gold demo-restrictions. I downloaded the demo from the internet, burned it to a DVD and launched it from my game library. It ran fine, and I'm not banned from Live.

Impressions:

+The trees and shadows were excellent.
+Fisher didn't have that offensively silly green/yellow/red street-light on his back.
-You can't switch view from over the right shoulder, to over the left shoulder.
-You can't change rate of fire.
-No meter for presence/visibility or noise.

I still prefer the older SC-games on the Original Xbox, from before they dumbed down the gameplay. I understand the reasons behind their design choices, but I won't buy their game. I prefer games that give me maximal control.

While the game has great graphics, they don't "wow" me. Chaos Theory and Double Agent for the original Xbox still look brilliant, even by todays standards.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Being subHD is kind of ridiculous. This is the team that was boasting about their engine three years ago, and Ubisoft Montreal is known for their great technical works.

No_Style said:

Digital Foundry Twitter & Beyond3D Forum: said:
1040x585 2x MSAA

i didn't notice because of the tv i'm currently using (old crt hd set) but when i return home i'll definitely notice.

pretty disappointing that the game is so sub-hd and still has screen tearing and it's too bad buying the game for pc is out of the question.

Chrange

Banned
It's kind of funny how many people aren't disappointed by graphics in games...until the pixel counters have weighed in on the resolution. Some are even impressed early on, then for some reason realize they were wrong and it's actually bad :lol

No_Style

Y2Kev said:
Being subHD is kind of ridiculous. This is the team that was boasting about their engine three years ago, and Ubisoft Montreal is known for their great technical works.

Yeah it's running on "LEAD (heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5) engine". Everything else they made is running on Anvil or UE3.0, so I'm wondering why they didn't use one of those engines instead.

Was it one of those "we've already put so much time into this, let's just move forward" type of deals?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Foxtastical said:
Then don't do that.

But don't you know? If the game allows you to succeed in a broken and unfun way, then the game is at fault... not the person subjecting themselves to this lack of fun.

Y2Kev said:

Should've used the Scimitar engine. Or FC2 engine. Both are far more impressive and more indicative of what I would've expected from Ubi Montreal. Graphically, this is probably their weakest game of the past few years, based at least on the demo level.

Which is not to say that it doesn't look solid, just not as orgasmic as Assassin's Creed, PoP 08, or FC2.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Chrange said:
It's kind of funny how many people aren't disappointed by graphics in games...until the pixel counters have weighed in on the resolution. Some are even impressed early on, then for some reason realize they were wrong and it's actually bad :lol
"I was really impressed by the graphics until I saw the resolution the game was running at, then I was really disappointed with the graphics."

:lol :lol

Dabanton

Chrange said:

Indeed it's very interesting...and for people who are on a forum that should be a bit more savvy it's very sheep like behaviour...

'Pixel counters' are the most embarrassing addition to this gen,imagine the enjoyment of a game for some is measured by how many pixels are on the screen.

Just say that to yourself it sounds so ridiculous and yet many gamers count the worthiness of a game on resolution. I can understand trying to understand the tech aspects but it also inevitably gets used for console war purposes.

scitek

I wasn't impressed with the graphics. The lighting is nice, but the lighting in Chaos Theory was nice, too, even by today's standards. It doesn't seem to look a whole lot better, to be honest.

frontieruk

can someone explain why you have to press A to climb where before you could just walk to a pipe? is this ubi trying to make out they aren't automating the whole game?

Chrange

Banned
166irdk.jpg

How many interrogation spots are there in the room?

xfxds1.jpg

My god, Sam looks so soft - must be the resolution. :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
Chrange said:
My god, Sam looks so soft - must be the resolution. :D

Those are 720P, are they bullshots?

They are running 66% the number of pixels as 720P, how is this not 60fps like MW? They have been working on this game for an eternity, it should be a graphical masterpiece IMO.

Feindflug

Dabanton said:
Indeed it's very interesting...and for people who are on a forum that should be a bit more savvy it's very sheep like behaviour...

'Pixel counters' are the most embarrassing addition to this gen,imagine the enjoyment of a game for some is measured by how many pixels are on the screen.

Just say that to yourself it sounds so ridiculous and yet many gamers count the worthiness of a game on resolution. I can understand trying to understand the tech aspects but it also inevitably gets used for console war purposes.

Well the game looks good enough, that's for sure but I also get some people's disappointment when the game is sub-HD and there is still tearing for example...I'm saying again that I really liked the game and I like the visuals but that doesn't change the fact that it's Ubi's weakest effort technical-wise this gen by far.

Now back to play the demo for the 10th time. :p

Chrange

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Those are 720P, are they bullshots?

They are running 66% the number of pixels as 720, how is this not 60fps like MW? They have been working on this game for an eternity, it should be a graphical masterpiece IMO.
Those are captures.

in regards to the sonar...obviously they did it on purpose to where u just spot enemies then figure out what ur next move is...thus why its black and white and hard to see...so as to keep you from just keeping it on ur eyes the whole time. I get it. I think thier goal is for u to only use it just to see where people are at..however everything else is to be carried out without them on....unlike in splinter cell games where sometimes ud just leave ur night vision on for a large segments.

Feindflug

DeadGzuz said:
So upscaled from the 360, ok.

And in this case the 360 upscales really well, considering we didn't guess/find out earlier the sub-HD resolution of the game.

At 1080p via HDMI on my set it looks very good.

eh my major issue with it being sub-hd is that even with such a low res they couldn't manage to leave v-sync enabled.

and personally i really appreciate the folks that analyze the tech side of things since it helps me get the best version of multiplatform games. however in this case it isn't that helpful because i refuse to put up with ubi's drm.

anyways the demo is fun enough. my major concern still is if the rumored 5-7 hour length for campaign holds weight. if it does i'll regulate the game to rental status.

tzare

playing the demo right now. A bit confusing, this is nor splintercell, it is based on it but is a different approach. Not bad, though, i will probably like it more once i get to play the full game. I have no option as i love stealth action games and well, nowadays they seem to be not very popular, MGS seems gone and SC has changed.
Visual presentation is nice, graphics and deisgn seems a step above but animation when hanging is just horrible.

I am having a tough time with controls, i hope i get used to them soon :D

EagleEyes

Feindflug said:
And in this case the 360 upscales really well, considering we didn't guess/find out earlier the sub-HD resolution of the game.

At 1080p via HDMI on my set it looks very good.
And there is your main difference between the 360 and the PS3 when it comes to resolution. I can tell immediately on PS3 when a game is sub HD( like MGS4) but with the upscaler on 360 I can't tell in the least bit. Its a shame it still has a few vsync issues though.

Top Bottom