• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

NG28 said:
I really liked what I played from the demo. It's a good mix of stealth and action. I think a lot of people are going to like it and those who want it to bomb are going to be disappointed.

Yep, agreed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still don't really understand the projection. It's just like...can the guy with the projector please turn it off? I'm trying to sneak. Well, trying, because it's not super important really. It's been FFXIII'd!

It just doesn't seem very...hard...anymore. You know, like...you don't really have to think about what you're doing. Choice has been replaced with flash. Which is fine, if you're into flash. And more people are into flash than choice.

This isn't to say you can't have fun with it, so I don't really understand the "u can't plz everyone!" stuff. I think Splinter Cell should be able to please Splinter Cell fans. And I do really think it is a big departure, so you shouldn't take for granted that everyone is on board.

derFeef

How about removing the b&w stuff on hard mode, Ubisoft? Like Crysis did with the HUD elements and helpers on higher difficulties - remove them.

pr0cs

JaggedSac said:
That would be me. Gonna try out the demo when I get off work.
Same here, I liked the premise of Splinter Cell but hated how unforgiving the game was. This sounds like a lot more fun for me anyway.

The Chef

Confidence Man said:
How about not having any cues, like a person acually in that situation wouldn't have any? How about not ever knowing whether or not you're 100% invisible? How about not ever having 100% invisibility in the first place?

Maybe a guard who just came out of a bright room wouldn't have his eyes adjusted to the darkness yet, making it easier to hide. Mabye a guard who doesn't really give a shit about his job won't bother to check down this or that hallway. Maybe another guard just got chewed out, and will be extra attentive.

Model all that stuff behind the scenes. Make it a realistic, unpredictable, and tense experience. That's what I would want from a new SC game.

All these impressions are really bumming me out. I was so excited about this game but my favorite SC's are definitely Chaos Theory and Pandora. I have come to expect a deep heavy experience with these games and I really hope that hasn't been sacrificed. I don't want 24 the game.

Reknoc

Gave it a whirl and it's alot of fun. Reminds me abit of the new Bond movies actually.

That said, why make the game just as dark as the original games if you remove the nightvision? Spent too much of the demo not being able to see anything.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
diss said:
I loled at the ordering of the beginning splash screens. Tom Clancy's... POWERED BY UNREAL.

:/

thought UBiMon used their own engine for this game , did they give any reasons why SC:C do not use anvil engine ?

Foil said:
Or how about, ya know, atleast giving people the option to turn it off? Simple
Yeah, I agree, the more options the better.

It's strange, the game really feels like it's trying to constantly tell you what to do (from actual on screen prompts to the subtle cues in the environment), but I kept ignoring it and doing what I want to do.

I liked Splinter Cell 1-2 very much but was not expecting much from this when I started demo.

I actually liked it. Now I'm waiting for full version.

Interfectum said:
MGS4 has a dude who shits his pants, SC:C has growls and claw marks to let little Timmy know he's pulled off an extreme move. Not sure which is worse at this point. :lol
Well there's a reason in the story for the shitting.

I disliked the demo. It seems like this game is going to be a more linear experience than the previous titles. We'll see, I guess. I was really hoping you could have non-lethal take-downs and the like, but it seems like you're really forced to go on the offensive. Maybe I should just play around with the demo more.

Some things that bothered me:

• The AI is... bad. Not good for a game like this.
  • Enemies don't react to bodies when they're in non-alert status. Very strange. Maybe a glitch?

DrBo42

I think it was PAX back in the day where Beland was answering questions about the game and had a bunch of panther banners hanging around the auditorium. He was talking about how he wanted the player to feel like a panther, but I don't think we really needed to hear a panther when pulling off a core move to the game. Gotta wait for the download to finish to see how bad it is.

RedSwirl

JambiBum said:
There aren't non-lethal take downs now. Unless it's a specific plot character then you will always kill the enemy. Which I'm fine with.

As far as forcing you into combat, there is a warehouse where there are 5 or 6 guards that is basically a play pen. You can go at them any way you want to. Here is basically what I did my first time through.

Climbed up the pipe and saw that they had a generator hanging from the ceiling. Waited until a guy walked underneath it and shot it down which killed the thug. Watched from the pipe to see what his team would do and once I had a guy off by himself I jumped off the pipe and killed him. This gave me the M&E ability since it was a CQC takedown. The pistol I had only had three slots and there were four guys left. I climbed into the middle of the room and waited for my chance to take out three of the four left at once. Once I felt like I would be in the clear from the fourth guy I made my shots and took all three out rather quickly. Which looks really great actually. Then I made my way over to the last guy and took him out rather easily.

But it's not possible to sneak through that room without crossing any of them is it?

Loxley

I certainly appreciate what Ubi's doing with the "billboard" objectives and B&W mechanics, I think of those along the same lines of what Visceral did with Dead Space, to minimize the UI they incorporated things like health and waypoints into the character/environment instead of just flat-out displaying it.

If nothing else, at least they're trying some new things :D Personally I loved the demo, maybe a tad too short but I love what I'm seeing.

sdornan

I thought it was okay, but not as good as I was expecting from the gameplay videos I'd seen, which I thought looked great.

Not sure why the demo was 1.2GB when a large portion of that space consists of high-resolution textures that you can't even see due to the extremely dark environment.

Oh, and the ponytail bad dude has pretty poor voice acting.

And his face during the closeup at the end looked terrible.

The game just seems to lack that last coat of polish.

Sophia

RedSwirl said:
But it's not possible to sneak through that room without crossing any of them is it?

Off the top of my head, there are four spots in which you'd need to eliminate all the guards in the demo. There's multiple ways TO eliminate these guards, but no way just to sneak past them.

It could possibly be this level, but I'm more likely to believe the developers were just aiming for a Stealth-Action approach rather then a Stealth-Puzzle approach.

Sophia

As far as I can tell, it's not possible to sneak through the entire demo without getting caught. The final area has guards both ways to the checkpoint. Unless there's a path I don't know about...

squicken said:
I guess Heavy Rain is the future, b/c this is barely interactive. Mark targets. Sneak up on the guy the designers obviously isolated in environment. Press B button to trigger elaborate kill animation. Press Y to trigger elaborate shooting animation.

I remember getting the SC:CT demo from OXM, and playing it over and over. This demo makes me wonder if I should even bother with the final game. I can't believe what they did to Splinter Cell.

It's not that it's a bad, but it's not Splinter Cell. And that's really disappointing, b/c there aren't any games like Splinter Cell anymore. What was a unique franchise, is now a guided tour of Jason Bourne's greatest hits.
This and posts like it are breaking my heart. Exactly what I feared.

Interfectum

"LOL against change" "lol roots" aside...

Personally, the main reason why I'm disappointed by this demo is Splinter Cell was the last real stealth game left. Now there really is no game that fulfills what I'm looking for in a stealth game.

I can see where this would be an enjoyable game, it just sucks that the stealth genre is basically dead now. This isn't true stealth, more like Batman AA stealth which, while fun, isn't the game thing.

Feindflug

Well I was also very skeptical about the game but after playing the demo I must say that it's really fun and you can do some cool stuff with the new more action/less clunky approach - this feels like the RE4 of the stealth genre. :p

The AI is decent, the controls excellent and it looks very good besides the minor tearing and the not so smooth IQ.

Definitely more interested in this after the demo - I can't wait to play the co-op modes. :D

squicken said:
I guess Heavy Rain is the future, b/c this is barely interactive. Mark targets. Sneak up on the guy the designers obviously isolated in environment. Press B button to trigger elaborate kill animation. Press Y to trigger elaborate shooting animation.

I remember getting the SC:CT demo from OXM, and playing it over and over. This demo makes me wonder if I should even bother with the final game. I can't believe what they did to Splinter Cell.

It's not that it's a bad, but it's not Splinter Cell. And that's really disappointing, b/c there aren't any games like Splinter Cell anymore. What was a unique franchise, is now a guided tour of Jason Bourne's greatest hits.
Awesome. Day 1.

dak1dsk1

Banned
RACISM! It's for whites only... Sorry, I mean gold only... SIGH! Is the demo out on PS3? Is it possible to get this from torrent sites, etc? Or will that get you banned from Live?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I like the old Splinter Cell games if I'm honest. This game is really fast and I never felt like I was totally in control (what with the WIN button kills and all)

I do like the fact you have to earn the WIN button by doing a close kill but it's still ridiculously easy.

Also, can you move the bodies? I couldn't do it I just kept picking up their gun.

dak1dsk1 said:
RACISM! It's for whites only... Sorry, I mean gold only... SIGH! Is the demo out on PS3? Is it possible to get this from torrent sites, etc? Or will that get you banned from Live?
yeah, it's on psn. download it now..................

you serious?

The Chef

This seems to be a common thing with Ubisoft's games this generation. All of their games feel this way.

Thats such a true statement. Even Assassins Creed 2 which I thought was a huge improvement over the first game still has a lot of moments and gameplay mechanics that feel completely tacked on and take me out of the whole game.

cabottemp

Banned
Not sure how i'm feeling about this. Jury's still out. It definitely doesn't suck, that's for sure...but it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to. i think maybe i just miss splinter cell on OG xbox. Then again, a lot has happened for me since I played the last splinter cell; I discovered metal gear. Now I'm not so sure I like splinter cell anymore.

EDIT:
D4Danger said:
I like the old Splinter Cell games if I'm honest. This game is really fast and I never felt like I was totally in control (what with the WIN button kills and all)

I do like the fact you have to earn the WIN button by doing a close kill but it's still ridiculously easy.

Also, can you move the bodies? I couldn't do it I just kept picking up their gun.

I think this summarizes my feelings on the matter. it's cool that you have to earn the execute move, and the first time i did it I was like "wow, that's really cool, kinda reminds me of jason bourne" but the second time it was pretty underwhelming. and i don't particularly care for the black and white...I think it worked really well in the saboteur but within the context that it's used in conviction, it just doesn't click with me.

I'll definitely play it again later, it deserves a second chance with me but as it stands right now after playing the demo i'm pretty indifferent on the game, which sucks. the co-op campaign sounded really cool.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
dak1dsk1 said:

Really?

shwimpy

Ugh... I knew Ubisoft was going to rape the franchise as soon as I saw that special on GTTV. I'll get it once it goes on sale on steam.

Sectus

I did a few more playthroughs. I tried to do it stealthily and well, that's a lost cause. On the other hand, if I try to play it in a way where I kill as many enemies as possible at the same time while replenishing my mark/execute then it's surprisingly fun. Doesn't feel like a stealth game at all though. Feels more like a puzzle game where you happen to shoot guys instead of pushing coloured blocks.

DualX

Foil said:
No. People don't like it because it's fucking stupid. It has nothing to do with the overall game, they're simply talking about that one design choice. Actually two now with the ridiculous panther noise and claw marks after kills. People can still like and enjoy the game. That doesn't mean they have to like every design feature the developer put in. More so ones that don't make any sense.
If you say so, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and fully congratulate the team for making quite possibly the best Splinter Cell title to date and I've played them all from top to bottom including lots of multiplayer. My only thing with the demo was that it took me a bit to get used to the controls.

So to get back to your point, how is it stupid? All of the games had a type of indicator to show off if you were hidden or not, the developers were simply going for a minimum hud and trying to show everything on the field just like they did with projecting text for objectives and videos for story. And besides, this "panther" noise you refer to is non-existent, only the sound you get when you receive a mark.

Y2Kev said:
This isn't to say you can't have fun with it, so I don't really understand the "u can't plz everyone!" stuff. I think Splinter Cell should be able to please Splinter Cell fans. And I do really think it is a big departure, so you shouldn't take for granted that everyone is on board.
It does. I'm about as hardcore as they come with this franchise and I love this game. Everyone has their own opinion on everything which is why that statement applies not only to this game but pretty much anything. The change could be looked at like RE 1-3 to RE 4-5, and it made the series that much better for doing so I believe the same is happening to Splinter Cell. So in all honesty, the core gameplay hasn't really changed all that much...they just got rid of the horrible "trial and error" gameplay.

TheFreshPrince

I don't know, I found the demo very underwhelming.

The shooting feels awful, like some C-tier third person shooter, and the graphics are really bleh. After playing GoW and Heavy Rain, and even BadCompany2 and MassEffect2, the people look awful in Splinter Cell. Really, really awful.

I don't like how so much emphasis is placed on auto-moving from cover to cover, and on mark-and-execute. So much of the game has become automatic.

Also, the AI seems way too dumb. Not recognizing me shooting at them from above, getting to absorbed with last-known-position...

I was super looking forward to Conviction...but that felt pretty mediocre.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah, it's on psn. download it now..................

you serious?
Yeah, I'm serious. It's not on PSN. I checked both my US and EU account. Don't tell me this is an 360 exclusive?

rvy

Banned
Has anyone stealthed through the entire demo? I wonder if it's even possible.
Just finished it on realistic, but there wasn't a lot of stealth involved. It's certainly a mix between stealth and action, IMO. There are times when it's better to sneak around and kill a guy, other times when it's better to flat-out shoot motherfuckers with a shotgun. You always end up killing a guy though. Which is fine, Fisher is on a personal vendetta anyway.

Jumping down on some dude and shooting his friends with the mark & execute mechanic is fun as hell.

FrankT

dak1dsk1 said:
Yeah, I'm serious. It's not on PSN. I checked both my US and EU account. Don't tell me this is an 360 exclusive?

lol

Played through once, but I'll play through a few times before giving my final impressions.

JBuccCP

I played through it twice, taking two different paths into the building. Both were just fucking boring. It feels like an action game where the bad guys shoot at where you were instead of where you are. The last sections was just dumb. So these dudes know they're being attacked. Their master plan is to all face the same direction in a room with pathways above them that surround them. Also just the general movement is a huge downgrade from Chaos Theory, the animations is that game were great, these aren't. Even the cover system is designed to make sneaking around as simple as pressing a button.

Sectus

dak1dsk1 said:
It's been known for a pretty long time this is a title only for 360 and PC. Maybe they'll port it to PS3 later as with Double Agent.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Sectus said:
It's been known for a pretty long time this is a title only for 360 and PC. Maybe they'll port it to PS3 later as with Double Agent.
Thnx. Been too busy to check which platform it was out for. Some of us don't take gaming too seriously. :)

SelfCon

dak1dsk1 said:
There's all sorts of WTF in this post.

Top Bottom