• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction Demo Impressions

Jay-B said:
Just played through the demo twice on hard and.... while enjoyable, I can't help but feel sad about the direction SC has taken. Everything about Conviction feels dumbed down: unlimited sonar radar that shows you where every guard is, the execution kills, the cover system...
It's a detail but I also hate that the game assumes you can't remember what the controls are, just like in Batman:AA. At least give me the option to deactivate the on-screen prompts :(.

If it turns out the SP really is only 5 hours long, I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin.
well that's a must for the final game!!

Lunchbox

Banned
i only used mark and execute when i absolutely had to, like the last room with scientist other than that it was all hand to hand. last known position is the best thing in the game. its like co-op by yourself

and my strat was, if theres 3 guys mark 2, grab one try to finish off the other two by myself. if they spot me and start shooting and i have no where to go, then execute....kinda like a insurance policy/last resort

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Karma said:
Why does it go Black and White at some points?

You're low on health. Get Nate to cov... oh wait.

It means you're hidden. Yeah, desaturate the player's view when he's doing well, totally logical, I know.

The B&W thing was annoying because I wasn't sure what the reason for it was. Now I know. It doesn't really feel like the old SC's but it's still fun, pretty hard though, after not playing a stealth game in years (except for Assassins Creed maybe but that is as stealthy as an elephant robbing a porcelain shop). I died for like five times the moment you have to drop down onto a guard, but where other guards are as well.

Banned
Dont like the B&W stealth indicator at all. Everything else was great. Loved slamming that guys face into the sink and walls to get information. Tearing is not a problem.

Khezu

It feels kinda like batman AA to me, in the way that its not really a stealth game so much as it's an action game where you use stealth to gank fools, if that makes any sense.

I really liked the projected words the walls, it was kinda neat.

Foil

Karma said:
Why does it go Black and White at some points?

Because Ubisoft stupidly thinks players need that horrible visual clue to let them know they're hidden. Apparently we can't just use our EYES for that. Has to be one the stupidest design choices I've ever seen. With the way lighting and shadowing are now we don't need colour drain and we don't need a meter to tell us when we're in darkness. It's pretty obvious just by looking at the screen. Just another case of them dumbing things down. Either that or it's their way of punishing players who attempt a stealthy approach.

Hell, if they need to have something giving us feedback just put a tiny green light on Sam's back and when it glows we're hidden. The B/W crap needs to atleast have an option to turn it off. Simple as that.

FrankT

Khezu said:
It feels kinda like batman AA to me, in the way that its not really a stealth game so much as it's an action game where you use stealth to gank fools, if that makes any sense.

I really liked the projected words the walls, it was kinda neat.

Yea I believe they have actually compared it to exactly that.

V_Ben

Banned
uh. this feels like a game design relic to me. brain dead AI on normal, and it crashed on me at a load screen.

squicken

I guess Heavy Rain is the future, b/c this is barely interactive. Mark targets. Sneak up on the guy the designers obviously isolated in environment. Press B button to trigger elaborate kill animation. Press Y to trigger elaborate shooting animation.

I remember getting the SC:CT demo from OXM, and playing it over and over. This demo makes me wonder if I should even bother with the final game. I can't believe what they did to Splinter Cell.

It's not that it's a bad, but it's not Splinter Cell. And that's really disappointing, b/c there aren't any games like Splinter Cell anymore. What was a unique franchise, is now a guided tour of Jason Bourne's greatest hits.

Dyno

I haven't played the demo yet but I'm intrigued by some of the ideas this game has presented in the developer diary. I probably won't be able to get to it this week but I have a question about it that may lead to discussion.

It is no surprise that Ubisoft is doing what it can to reach new markets with their games. In that regard I have found that their games as of late play themselves to a certain degree. Gaming input shortcuts are created, perhaps with an eye for making things easier for newer players.

To the people who have played the demo, do you think this is the case? Is Sam doing fairly complex things with the push of a single button. How automated is Fisher compared to the earlier SC titles? And do you like it or does it take away from the experience?

EDIT: Okay so Squiken's post above is what I'm talking about. Even as I was marvelling at great ideas like objectives and memories being lit up on buildings and dialogue options that take place during takedowns, I was concerned over the lack of interactivity, which has started to become an Ubisoft trait.

Money

Banned
I haven't played it yet...but I heard when you kill someone there is a panther noise and claw marks on the screen.

Please God tell me this isn't true.

V_Ben

Banned
Money said:
I haven't played it yet...but I heard when you kill someone there is a panther noise and claw marks on the screen.

its true. it looks f*cking stupid.

also, this game doesn't look so good. really. the projected stuff is nice and all, but apart from that, it looks pretty bland.

Dabanton

squicken said:
I guess Heavy Rain is the future, b/c this is barely interactive. Mark targets. Sneak up on the guy the designers obviously isolated in environment. Press B button to trigger elaborate kill animation. Press Y to trigger elaborate shooting animation.

I remember getting the SC:CT demo from OXM, and playing it over and over. This demo makes me wonder if I should even bother with the final game. I can't believe what they did to Splinter Cell.

It's not that it's a bad, but it's not Splinter Cell. And that's really disappointing, b/c there aren't any games like Splinter Cell anymore. What was a unique franchise, is now a guided tour of Jason Bourne's greatest hits.

You know you can shoot them yourself or distract them with the camera or flashbang them or just leave them alone. The Mark and Execute is there if you wish but there is no need to use it if you feel it makes things too easy.

Anyway this is a demo that has to show the many possibilities which i think it does well.

I can imagine the need to take out guards by hand in order to do takedowns becoming a chore. I felt like I had to pause, then move a little, then pause, then move a little x 5, then shoot him, and then repeat the process to take out the guard on the other side of the room.

raphier

Banned
squicken said:

My exact feelings after demo. This is not Splinter Cell, it's Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, maybe even James Bond, but not Sam Fisher :(

The game feels very simple, all complexity is gone. I know M&E is optional, but damn, does the level feel like it's build around it.

On a lighter side, I do think that controls are pretty good.

squicken

The bit in the elevator shaft. Where in previous games you crawled down the pole in a very deliberate manner, in this, you just automatically glide down.

Every design decision seems born of the fear their audience might start texting or checking Twitter the very moment the BADASSERY abates.

raphier said:
The game feels very simple, all complexity is gone. I know M&E is optional, but damn, does the level feel like it's build around it.

On a lighter side, I do think that controls are pretty good.

Yes it's one thing to say that you can do whatever you want, but the levels, enemy design, and constant button prompts clearly lead you to do things a certain way.

V_Ben

Banned
ugh. demo couldn't have ended on a worse note. that guys face was textbook ugliness. a close up was NOT appreciated ubi :-/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
DMPrince said:
okay wtf. so i died and the game just stopped working? it just shows a black screen WTF.

it's black cos you're dead and didn't go into the light! :lol

Dabanton

squicken said:
The bit in the elevator shaft. Where in previous games you crawled down the pole in a very deliberate manner, in this, you just automatically glide down.

No you don't. If you hold down on the left analogue Fisher goes down very slowly same if you climb back up.

Looks like your just nitpicking now.

squicken

Dabanton said:
No you don't. If you hold down on the left analogue Fisher goes down very slowly same if you climb back up.

Looks like your just nitpicking now.

I was using it as an example of my biggest complaint: that the game is losing interactivity.

Unless this varies by difficulty levels, there was no creeping down that elevator shaft. It was a long descent, and after pressing A, Sam goes into a leaping animation and then slides down. For about 5 seconds, I sat and watched my interactive entertainment be neither interactive nor entertaining.

thorin

What I'm reading doesn't sound too encouraging. So there's no more sound or light meter, and we get a B&W filter instead? :(

for some reason my fingers don't want to conform to the controls of this game, usually I can pick up and play anything and get the hang of it pretty quick, this demo...not so much

Swittcher

Banned
Maybe the B&W indicator, along with all the tutorial prompts can be turned off in the full game?

I miss the Bum Sam hiding in plain sight, and hitting dudes with tons of improvised weapons.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
It's not the same Splinter Cell, but it's damn good. Sam is fuckin' hunting this time around. I both miss the old ways, and like this new style. Will buy.

Hammer24

Banned
squicken said:
Unless this varies by difficulty levels, there was no creeping down that elevator shaft. It was a long descent, and after pressing A, Sam goes into a leaping animation and then slides down. For about 5 seconds, I sat and watched my interactive entertainment be neither interactive nor entertaining.

Sorry man, but your description sounds more like you watched this noobs youtube vids than actually playing it yourself. Several people on different boards stated that you can still shimmy the pipes slowly.

D6AMIA6N

Money said:

Seriously f'ing why? WTF! That is literally the most ridiculous thin I have ever heard, I can't believe it, this is really true? Ubisoft I have a great idea, remake of SC:CT! I and all other SC fans would gladly repurchase! Lot's of money to be made!

EDIT: Also the black & white filter indicating you are hidden is also stupid as hell.

I'd definitely say it's more Batman than traditional Splinter Cell.

The controls are drastically improved.

Need to play it again tonight on realistic to see if the AI is anything worth talking about, it was pretty easy on Normal.

EagleEyes

CrazedArabMan said:
Seriously, what is with all the hate? The demo was short but really fun, once you get the hang of it you can do some really cool stuff.
Haters gonna hate. The demo was awesome. I played it just like the old Splinter Cell and it worked beautifully. The AI is no worse than in games like Batman and Uncharted 2. Not too sold on the black and white stealth thing though. Ubisoft always has some design choice that makes you scratch your head and say WTF. Day 1

kaskade

It wasn't as easy as the devs made the game look from the videos and all that. I died during my playthrough. It still feels like a Splinter Cell game to me. Just faster and more badass. I could definitely see why the hardcore SC fans won't like it though.

Really didn't use the execute thing at all (other than the first part), and just went through however I felt.

Had a blast, really cool.

This is not Splinter Cell, it's Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, maybe even James Bond, but not Sam Fisher :( The game feels very simple, all complexity is gone. I know M&E is optional, but damn, does the level feel like it's build around it.

when you kill someone there is a panther noise and claw marks on the screen

Sounds like another franchise down the drain. Not that I would ever touch a Ubisoft game on PC again.

Hope it bombs.

EagleEyes said:
Haters gonna hate. The demo was awesome. I played it just like the old Splinter Cell and it worked beautifully. The AI is no worse than in games like Batman and Uncharted 2. Not too sold on the black and white stealth thing though. Ubisoft always has some design choice that makes you scratch your head and say WTF. Day 1
But the AI is utter shit in those two games. This game needs great AI or the whole concept is rendered pointless.

Top Bottom