• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

zargle

Well, series like the Naniwa vs Leenock series seemed to illustrate some problems with forge first expands. Secondly, I have no clue what to due if i try to do a forge first and then scout a zerg 6-10 pooling me. I assume they just run into my base and own me.

Build the fastest wall you can.

ultron87

Well, series like the Naniwa vs Leenock series seemed to illustrate some problems with forge first expands. Secondly, I have no clue what to due if i try to do a forge first and then scout a zerg 6-10 pooling me. I assume they just run into my base and own me.

Build your forge and put a pylon right by your main. Put the cannon at your nexus and sac your forward pylon and forge. Proceed into four gate.

This might not be needed with a pool later than a six pool.

Deadman

Yeah they do have some problems. For the naniwa thing the main reason he kept losing was he only made 1 cannon each time unless he saw something to be scared about, which he didnt in most games because leenock hid it. 3 cannons is less econ focused but far safer.

For the 6 pool you immediately build a pylon in your mineral line, let the forge finish and then make a cannon in the mineral line too. The lings will kill off the forge and first pylon but your main nexus will be fine. Then you 4 gate and win.

10 pool i dunno how far along the expand is at that point, maybe its the same as 6 pool, maybe you just spam a wall in until the cannons can kill the lings.

At least thats what i gather from casts, i dont play protoss that well.

Trickster

Build your forge and put a pylon right by your main. Put the cannon at your nexus and sac your forward pylon and forge. Proceed into four gate.

This might not be needed with a pool later than a six pool.

I'll try this, cheers.

But I imagine I'll still end up facing the heavy muta or 3 base roach build :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Now that I stream SC2, I need a new banner for my stream. I don't want people to come in and see "High Level gaming by Tashi" and then watch me play SC2 lol.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ffe is much safer than a 1-gate expand, it's pretty insane how one match can really colour some people's perception of the entire opening. it's essentially the only option protoss have for keeping any kind of economic parity without playing super risky.

if you're not ffe'ing as your standard pvz opening, you've fallen behind the metagame. find a way to make it work. send a pylon scout and forge scout if you're feeling paranoid.

Keikaku

To avoid this problem, I don't forge expand on Xel'Naga Caverns. You can get away with it on pretty much any other map, especially if you go 1 Gate --> Stargate after. Get 1 Void Ray and follow up with Phoenix. It's your choice whether you want to go 2 Stargate or mass Gateway for a timing after that.

jasonng

You might get a kick out of this one too.

AppleJack as an SCV with full dialogue.

Dirt Ponies unite! Also, scvs are op as shit which is very fitting for AJ.

I've enlisted someone at HaloGAF to make me a new banner. He always does a good job.

It will have the Bronze logo on it so get your laughs out now. Eventually it will evolve though.
I'm not a fan of you blending console peons into our territory. He better do an outstanding job.

Venfayth

Wisdom Please!

I thought it was wisdom please for so long.. so when someone said it to me I'd start explaining stuff to them.

Man, that was embarrassing when some guy told me how wrong I was.

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK is going on with my fingers? I just played a game on uncaged and everything went fine until late game when I SOMEHOW managed to be blindsided with a rogue nade, and get pinged whilst 18-0 in the head by a jetpacker and other shit like that so because of this I lost my Perfection. Fuck my life.

BigAT

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK is going on with my fingers? I just played a game on uncaged and everything went fine until late game when I SOMEHOW managed to be blindsided with a rogue nade, and get pinged whilst 18-0 in the head by a jetpacker and other shit like that so because of this I lost my Perfection. Fuck my life.

Man, I really need to start laddering again. Sounds like they really fucked around with the game settings recently.

Edit: Don't punish us for Yoshi. Our punishment is that we have to deal with him in the first place.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WHAT

THE

Damn man, why the hell didn't you play the game with keyboard and mouse! We've all been trying to convince you that it's the way it's meant to be played, you should've known better! And really, you got blindsided? Should've used those forcefields to block him man, they are expensive units, take well care of them! 18-0 is fine and all but you should seriously "gg wp" when it's 10-0 or less.

ultron87

WHAT

THE

EDVRM.gif

Man, I really need to start laddering again. Sounds like they really fucked around with the game settings recently.

Edit: Don't punish us for Yoshi. Our punishment is that we have to deal with him in the first place.

Haha, sorry couldnt help myself, I dont actually really play Starcraft 2. :p I have watched some scrims though and would love to get into it, but for now ill slink back to HaloGaf.

I clearly failed at Halo'fying the post if it made sense as Starcraft mechanics to you guys though!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't believe you just said that :(...
Haha, sorry couldnt help myself, I dont actually really play Starcraft 2. :p I have watched some scrims though and would love to get into it, but for now ill slink back to HaloGaf.
Haha, it was fun! Take care ♥

BigAT

I clearly failed at Halo'fying the post if it made sense as Starcraft mechanics to you guys though!

It didn't make even a little sense in Starcraft. It was pretty obviously Halo, I just wanted to go along with it.

Yoshichan

It didn't make even a little sense in Starcraft. It was pretty obviously Halo, I just wanted to go along with it.
I thought his work was genius! :D
Damn, you really suck, I would never screw up like that. Hold the controller with two hands dude. Also you should have armour locked, that might have helped with the rax.

Also you were playing on Orbital!?? Why didnt you veto!?? You messed up in the pre game, never mind the late game dude.
Basically:
"Damn you really suck, I would never screw up like that. Hold the keyboard and mouse with two hands dude. Also you should have gotten armor +1, that might've helped you with your rax-units.

Also, you were playing on Orbital!?? Why didn't you veto!? You messed up in the pre game, never mind the late game dude."

Im not going to lie, im so clueless about SC that I thought maybe everything I said could possible make sense in a weird way. Maybe there are game settings on modded servers out there where the stuff I said makes sense... most probably not. :p

Haha, it was fun! Take care ♥

Thanks man! ♥

you should seriously "gg wp" when it's 10-0 or less.

I wanted to, would have preserved my perfection, but the match just wouldn't end. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
WHAT

THE

mrmister will be happy someone still plays his map.

Trickster

So uh, with a forge first expand, how many cannons am I supposed to have up to defend the zerg roach rush that they can do? I just got my wall broken pretty easily even though i had 2 cannons up and a third close to completion when the attack came. And no, the cannons were not out of range of the zeg units.

Yoshichan

So uh, with a forge first expand, how many cannons am I supposed to have up to defend the zerg roach rush that they can do? I just got my wall broken pretty easily even though i had 2 cannons up and a third close to completion when the attack came. And no, the cannons were not out of range of the zeg units.
It's all about the cannon placements and the forcefields.

Striek

As many as you can. At least 4. Second pylon should be on high ground and you need to get a stargate immediately after the cybercore is finished. If they bust the wall (probable) have probes fill the gap so they can't run by cannons. Voidray will be out very soon, easy gg.

Edit: Its not about FFs ^ because you generally have only one which only helps a smidge at delaying.

Yoshichan

Guys

I think I'm in love with Tashi

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Watching you click your marine bit by bit around the map was the most adorable thing i've ever seen.

---
actually i was pleasantly surprised by how you managed your supply.
the biggest criticism i can scratch on atm is that you are letting yourself get distracted from the big picture by the little things. [such as microing a marine around to look for pylons bit by bit and by battles]

your 3rax expand is a great aggressive tool but you are not taking next-steps because you're focused so much on the attack. once you started asserting map presence you had your first depot slip and the frequency of scv production dropped off. sure you had your second CC, but you didnt have the scv's to support it or a second gas to begin teching to exploit your expnding econ.

First off, it's more useful if you post losses as opposed to wins.

Your macro wasn't quite sharp enough. With the 3rax build, you should have 50 supply at 7 minutes. You only got to 50 at 8 minutes. Don't get supply blocked.
You didn't micro your units when you arrived at his natural. Learn how to kite.
Could've build your expo at your natural as opposed to inside your main.
Rally your troops to your existing army instead of gathering them in your base. (But when the rallied-to unit dies, you have to re-rally.)
Also keep in mind the number of production facilities per base. You had 4 rax on one base, which isn't really sustainable (except for rushes or all-ins).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Watching you click your marine bit by bit around the map was the most adorable thing i've ever seen.

---
actually i was pleasantly surprised by how you managed your supply.
the biggest criticism i can scratch on atm is that you are letting yourself get distracted from the big picture by the little things. [such as microing a marine around to look for pylons bit by bit and by battles]

your 3rax expand is a great aggressive tool but you are not taking next-steps because you're focused so much on the attack. once you started asserting map presence you had your first depot slip and the frequency of scv production dropped off. sure you had your second CC, but you didnt have the scv's to support it or a second gas to begin teching to exploit your expnding econ.

lol I wanted to make sure this Protoss didn't do any funny stuff. I felt like he was going to.

I definitely do get distracted. If the first push doesn't work, I like go back to my base and just build a ton of shit because I have a ton of minerals stocked up rather than doing it steadily.

First off, it's more useful if you post losses as opposed to wins.

Your macro wasn't quite sharp enough. With the 3rax build, you should have 50 supply at 7 minutes. You only got to 50 at 8 minutes. Don't get supply blocked.
You didn't micro your units when you arrived at his natural. Learn how to kite.
Could've build your expo at your natural as opposed to inside your main.
Rally your troops to your existing army instead of gathering them in your base. (But when the rallied-to unit dies, you have to re-rally.)
Also keep in mind the number of production facilities per base. You had 4 rax on one base, which isn't really sustainable (except for rushes or all-ins).

This is the only full match I was able to play today and I wanted to get some feedback. Yes it's a win but I know there's still a ton of room for improvement.

How do I kite?

I built that fourth barracks when I got the 2nd command center. Everyone has told me 3 production facilities per Command Center so I've been trying to stick to that.

Thanks

Yoshichan

How do I take away rain in maps like Shattered Temple? (Obviously I play low in everything but the rain is still there)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
lol 3 rax

Clicking marine around map is adorable. Use shift + a + left click on mini map to do it in 0.3 seconds.
Keep depot down, P is not Zerg. Rally to your units. Terran with Stim wins every small engagement.

If possible in fights:
1) Shoot sentries
2) Pick off stalkers if possible before all zealots engage
3) Kite zealots with stim. This is more important than macro since you can retain a giant ass supply lead then 1a to win. When you stop microing, MACRO with hotkeys, add your group of rallied units, attack again with full hp units in front.

In that fight you did well by keeping your MM in that choke point vs zealots. However, that Nexus is useless. 2000hp of damage (if you get a kill) is a lot of time for P. Scan the ramp to kill or force a forcefield and kill a core/gateway/pylon. If you get in with 15 supply of food into his base you kill the important pylons or core and you win since P can only make zealots.

Yoshichan

Thought I'd share this... uh, rather interesting discussion with this lady friend I have. Translated:

Her: now I want to date a real Starcraft-Korean-pro
John: Hmmmmmm......
John: Polt Prime?
Her: No... I was thinking more of a cuter person
John: BoxeR?
Her: boxer is ugly in my world
John: Are you shitting me? He's handsome but whatever, he's too old for you anyway - AND he has the best girlfriend in the Universe
Her: He's born 1980
John: Yeah... but he's got knowledge and experience like an elder
Her: I was thinking more of Marineking Prime
John: Stop joking around.
Her: I'm not joking ^_^
John: If you're serious than you're dumb as hell
Her: You don't like him? I think he's cute
John: Go to hell.

This is the point where I go offline. A couple of minutes later, she calls me and I deny the call.

You're BLOCKED, moron.

Top Bottom