• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Remember when RE Village was first shown and it looked like 20fps?, the final game was 60.
This is why we get so much cgi for games still in development, because of the reactions to gameplay still in development.
Oh yeah there's room for improvement but I'm always cautious with Todd and his gsmes

DukeNukem00

Banned
The footage they showed doesnt look particularly enticing, but the stuff right the end of the trailer looks miles better. Lush planets, dinosaurs, deserts, jungles. Why the fuck didnt they showed a planet where youre fighting dinosaurs ? Jesus christ. The ship combat actually looks fairly good. Its gonna be a gigantic game where you will play for hundreds of hours, so its not really an issue that the first 5 minutes they have here isnt the most amazing thing ever

Landero

Neo Member
Gunplay looks like garbage.

Performance looks like absolute garbage.

Flying and building your own base looks cool.

Graphics look great but nothing mindblowing like HellBlade 2/Forza or Forbidden West.

Story seems interesting...?

My hype for this game has decreased only slightly.
This is where I'm at as well. They have some time so I'm hoping they can really focus on gunplay and make it fun. Right now it looks terrible. Everything else looks pretty good imo.

icerock

oYR798m.jpg

In a nutshell

The game is way too over-ambitious. Focusing on barren 1000 planets when they could've hand-crafted one single solar system with select few planets would've been a far better and tighter experience. They badly need a new engine, can't believe the dead-eyes or character models which are early XB1/PS4 gen. This is their flagship title, no reason why there is still so much jank

kiphalfton

Game looks fairly basic, in regards to gunplay, animations, graphics, effects, etc. And yet it still seems to run really badly. If any other company (that wasn't Bethesda showed this) it would get panned big time and picked apart by everybody.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout worlds work because they have effort put into them and don't feel like they're procedurally generated. Without that though, this game is going to feel like it lacks soul and is probably gonna get pretty repetitive in short order.

With the resources and money Bethesda has at their disposal, I expected a lot more.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Massive Bethesda fan. Played TES 3, 4 & 5 and all FO games and I think the focus on quantity is wrong. Build one crazy system and make it special. Don't give a shit about 1000 planets that will be 99% empty anyway.
You can do both no problem (Build one crazy detailed system then create a giant NMS sandbox), it also makes sense for the setting since space colonization would see only a few places developing civilization and 99% of the rest would be there just for resource gathering.
Of course, the exact route they'll take remains to be seen.

Kev Kev

Massive Bethesda fan. Played TES 3, 4 & 5 and all FO games and I think the focus on quantity is wrong. Build one crazy system and make it special. Don't give a shit about 1000 planets that will be 99% empty anyway.
oh-no-anyway.gif

holy fuckin shit im still buzzing from that show!!

i feel like ricky bobby just walking around my apartment thinking about it and not knowing what to do with my self lol
im-not-sure-what-to-do-with-my-hands-ricky-bobby.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PLEASE tell me this has a shot at being 60fps when it launches.

I feel like that was as close to a disaster gameplay reveal as you can get. Would have fared a ton better if it was 2015 and No Mans Sky + Star Citizen didn't set expectations.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No seamless taking off and landing is disappointing. I mean, with this engine I wasn't actually expecting that, but still. Seems like you just select a spot from the planetary view and press a button to land there. So you probably can't even fly over planet surfaces, only in outer space.

Stuart360

oYR798m.jpg

In a nutshell

The game is way too over-ambitious. Focusing on barren 1000 planets when they could've hand-crafted one single solar system with select few planets would've been a far better and tighter experience. They badly need a new engine, can't believe the dead-eyes or character models which are early XB1/PS4 gen. This is their flagship title, no reason why there is still so much jank
Keep the salt flowing dude, keep it flowing.
This game is going to be a monster, and played through the whole of this gen.

Meraxes

I just hope we get a few handcrafted large sized areas, and not just 50 or so little handcrafted outposts scattered on various planets. Maybe a few planets have areas a quarter size of the Skyrim map.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Looks awesome. No xbox though. Bethesda has been a big loss for me.

Its like you're forced to just use a playstation console for eternity. First of all, calling oneself a gamer and not having a PC as the first thing ever is the biggest loss you can imagine. After that, Microsoft is now a jugernaut in the gaming space and will have dozens of exclusives going forward. Being devoted to playstation serves nothing but losing you games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game goes beyond what i was even imagining. I honestly was just thinking Skyrim/Fallout in space, but the scope of this game is just, fuck me lol.

Game of the generation.

Yeah the scale of it was off the charts, 1000+ planets......

Yeah, the planetary part at the end got me good.

Massive Mass Effect 1 vibes.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

After rewatching the trailer again, that person to person combat is looking rough. I know it's supposed to be early in the game but the enemy AI seems completely braindead.

If they fix that (they certainly have time) and the person to person combat turns out to be good, this will probably be Skyrim levels of amazing.

Chronicle

Its like you're forced to just use a playstation console for eternity. First of all, calling oneself a gamer and not having a PC as the first thing ever is the biggest loss you can imagine. After that, Microsoft is now a jugernaut in the gaming space and will have dozens of exclusives going forward. Being devoted to playstation serves nothing but losing you games
Never said I was devoted. I play within my budget and that means one console. I choose Sony for its exclusives which means I have to pass up other great games like one of my favs gears of War and now the fallout franchise. Once again xbox can have Shedeo Kogina but Bethseda has been tough. Cest la vie.

Bartski

Gold Member
Just re-watched 4k.

Combat on foot is very rough but the overall scope of the game is mind-blowing and if everything works as explained (ships, bases, item customization, depth of rpg systems) this could really be something special.

I'm definitely diving in on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom