• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student's Donald Trump Hat Causes Controversy at Canadian University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean the hate really isn't going to affect others, let's be honest about that. It's a symptom not the disease.

If you honestly believe the hat might cause someone danger then feel free to do something about it. I wouldn't question your action at that point, only your judgement.

Wear a hood of the KKK around some black people, and let me know how safe they feel. You could be the most peaceful person in the world, and of course a garment isn't going to hurt anyone. But it sure as hell is a harsh fucking reminder to the targets of that campaign that they're in the presence of somewhat that hates. fears, and otherwise wants them branded, rounded up, or kicked out entirely.

Sushi Nao

There's a guy in my college that's a Trump fan. I've heard him spout about "N*gger Obama" and seen him lose his shit completely at some small Chinese children. This is on Vancouver Island, probably one of the hippiest places on earth.

Some Canadians are fucking idiots. Seeing U.S. extremism leak over the border is so disheartening.

It's just a hat. If he wants to support Trump, let him.

This. As shitty as Trump is there's no violation of any rule if he's wearing a cap.

There's a guy in my college that's a Trump fan. I've heard him spout about "N*gger Obama" and seen him lose his shit completely at some small Chinese children. This is on Vancouver Island, probably one of the hippiest places on earth.

Some Canadians are fucking idiots.

Well, wearing your hat is acceptable. Wearing your hate is not acceptable.

Cocaloch

Wear a hood of the KKK around some black people, and let me know how safe they feel. You could be the most peaceful person in the world, and of course a garment isn't going to hurt anyone. But it sure as hell is a harsh fucking reminder to the targets of that campaign that they're in the presence of somewhat that hates. fears, and otherwise wants them branded, rounded up, or kicked out entirely.

A reasonable person would certainly understand what the KKK hood is a symbol of a group that is overtly violent and racist in its stated purpose. And even then I don't know if it would be hate speech. It would certainly behoove the university to make the student wear something else in that situation though.

badb0y

Although I don't support Trump or anything he stands for, there is no reason for me to attack a person for representing his/her presidential candidate. Whether you believe his platform is legitimate or not, almost 50% of the US supports his platform and he is a presidential candidate of a major political party. Sure, you can voice your opinion to the person but there's no way I would go as far as to say "you have to take the hat off" as if I have some sort of authority over them.

USC-fan

Banned
This would be a great ice breaker at college. Wear the hat but put anyone but trump on that back. When the girl walks up you show her the back of the hat.

louiedog

I hate that stories like these get spread around. If you want to get riled up and yell back and forth about the election and politics there's plenty of important issues that have nothing to do with two no-name college students in a different country.

Sushi Nao

This. As shitty as Trump is there's no violation of any rule if he's wearing a cap.

Well, wearing your hat is acceptable. Wearing your hate is not acceptable.

"Everyone's opinion is precious and matters" is more of an American thing than a Canadian one. Guy can kick fuckin rocks.

The legend of this hat is becoming humongous!

It really is just like that video.

Not sure why this went viral. Guy was obviously wearing it ironically, a concept that's as foreign as the U.S. elections to her. The elections she has no say in, and has no reason to get so emotionally invested in a stupid hat over. It actually pisses me off how it seems like so much of our population is more invested in matters across the border than here. But I guess all people need other things to pay attention to so they can avoid actually admitting they're ignorant.

"Everyone's opinion is precious and matters" is more of an American thing than a Canadian one. Guy can kick fuckin rocks.

Grow up. It's a hat. IF he actually was a supporter of Trump who cares, unless he has dual citizenship he can't do a damned thing about it. If he can vote ... again doesn't matter and only legitimizes that orange clown. If he isn't and is wearing the hat ironically, let him. The joke's pretty obvious, albeit a beaten to death horse. Why are we even talking about two children engaging on nothing? This is literally nothing.

One, that's not what I'm saying. Don't misconstrue it.

I'm speaking legally and on a policy level on campus. No shit on a personal level if you disagree with racist ass politicians they can go fuck themselves.

But not allowed to snatch his hat or make him not wear it because you don't like his shitty politician.

Izuna

Banned
This would be a great ice breaker at college. Wear the hat but put anyone but trump on that back. When the girl walks up you show her the back of the hat.

CUct_s7WEAAWnLO.jpg
like one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom