• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker: Not all tools available from the start, unlock over 9 days

Kriken

Stiletto is just what happens when you shake the shoe. Both the regular shoe and stiletto are in both SMB and SMB3. I don't know if there is a difference between the shoe and stiletto beyond visuals.

Oh yeah. Yoshi can now interact with objects with which he was never together with before. He can lick fire bars and jet engines and spit out a fireball. They essentially give him an infinite source of ammo for fireballs.

You just made me think of something, what does shaking the Yoshi egg do? We haven't seen that yet, right?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Getting really tired of Nintendo's antics.

LittleBigPlanet, the series this game is most similar to and basically copying, NEVER pulled a stunt like this. This ain't a budget game either (which arguably it should be), it's full priced which makes this even worse. This is looking more and more like a "pass".

I don't think anything you said was invalid, you just exaggerated past what is actually present in the game. sometimes those "walls" of text are literally one word, like "gulp" or "ugh".

Fair enough, I shouldn't have said "walls of text" because the problem isn't actually the amount of text presented, it's the fact that you have to press A twice per message (once to skip the text scrolling, another to get it to go to the next message). All in all it's a constant mashing of the A button for a non-trivial amount of time (as you said 10 seconds), which is annoying because it adds a non-trivial amount of start-up time each and every time you start the game provided the map rotation changed since you last booted. It's a similar problem with Nintendo putting information front-and-center and halting all gameplay when it could simply be inferred or put in a much better place (i.e., a scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen). I could understand that choice the first few weeks after the game launched to help get people up to speed to the game's rotating map system, but now that it's August all they really need to do is "Hi. Welcome back. Current Ranked Maps: [1], [2]. Current Unranked Maps: [3]. [4]. Bye." on the bottom of the screen. Hell, they probably don't even need that. The current map list is in the map lobby. If I'm going to play online I'll go to the lobby anyway, where I'll see what maps are in rotation anyway.

Nintendo wants to force horse blinders for people constantly when it comes to conveying information. With Splatoon it's literally halting everything and throwing you into a forced dialog every time the maps change. With Mario Maker it's railroading everyone into an unlock scheme that is completely rigid in its rate of unlocks regardless of who the player is. The problem with Mario Maker isn't that there's a progression system, but rather the rigidity of it, similar to how the problem of Splatoon's News thing isn't that they convey the information, but rather how rigidly it's conveyed.

timshundo

Omg just saw the trailer. It's a new set of tools EVERY DAY, not once every nine days. And y'all are still having a fit.

OUT.

I think this is all part of Nintendo's strategy to keep people coming back for more. Iwata (R.I.P.) seemed to indicate this in an investor Q&A:

Iwata said:
Regarding the constantly evolving services that I just mentioned, there is a constant stream of breaking news on the Internet and new videos are uploaded to it and are being played every day, and the content changes by the second. As for packaged video game software, however, the structure of video games in the past was that once the game software was developed, it is done with, and the only thing left to do was to deliver it to consumers. However, will our current consumers, who expect everything to change by the day, truly be satisfied with this structure?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150217qa/03.html

Salbug

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

This thread is something else I tell you what.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I understand the timed release Splatoon content, but this is just asinine.

What is the upside?

nintendo understands that peoples attention spans are short and a constant release of 'new' content holds the attention longer. also, I imagine dumping something like a level editor with 100000 option on 90% of the population would be overwhelming.

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

so buy it in a month and do some homework in the meantime you spoiled child.

By "most" I'm assuming you mean middle-aged internet dudes who've been following the development of this game from the start, aka not Nintendo's target audience with this type of rollout.

Why would the target audience want to make levels for a game series they haven't played and don't care about? Isn't the target audience kids who have played a Mario game before and now want to make their own levels?

And wouldn't that target audience be the same age we were when we got to play around with editors like Incredible Machine, which gave us all its features right from the start and wasn't confusing at all?

RagnarokX

Nice!
Can Yoshi do that in SMW tileset? Because swallowing and spitting fireball was always more of a NSMBU thing I think.

Yoshi could eat fireballs/fire enemeis and iceballs/ice enemies in the NSMB games, but he was never in the same level as fire bar and jet engines, so this new. SMW didn't have fire bars and jet engines, so there is no precedent saying he can't in that style, and since they took away the ability to breath fire from eating a red shell, they probably gave him the ability to breath fire from eating fire. I haven't seen him do it in that style, but don't see why he wouldn't. Another change they made is that the spin jump in NSMBU style now has the invincibility properties of the SMW spin jump, and Mario can bounce off munchers despite not being able to before.

CoolS

Not happy with it, but I can live with it and I totally understand why they are doing it. Hopefully it will lead to better levels in the long run.

MajorMane

I think this is all part of Nintendo's strategy to keep people coming back for me. Iwata (R.I.P.) seemed to indicate this in an investor Q&A:

I think this is very true. At least in my case, I'm more likely to come back to a game for like 30 minutes a day every day when I'm unlocking stuff.

If I have everything unlocked at the start, I'll blow my wad quickly the first day and stop playing the game as much. Again, that's just me and not everyone would be this way.

RagnarokX

LittleBigPlanet, the series this game is most similar to and basically copying, NEVER pulled a stunt like this. This ain't a budget game either (which arguably it should be), it's full priced which makes this even worse. This is looking more and more like a "pass".

You could argue that LBP pulled a worse stunt by locking content behind gates that required multiple players to coordinate in a game that was laggy and had poor physics.

Mcdohl

I think this is very true. At least in my case, I'm more likely to come back to a game for like 30 minutes a day every day when I'm unlocking stuff.

If I have everything unlocked at the start, I'll blow my wad quickly the first day and stop playing the game as much. Again, that's just me and not everyone would be this way.

There are more reasonable ways to unlock stuff.

Something as simple as "Simple" mode vs "Advanced" mode.

Something as simple as a skipabble tutorial mode.

Something as simple as "learn to play" milestones, where the game guides you con creating stages, limiting what you can you use on each lesson.

Something as simple as unlocking as you do stuff.

But unlocking by waiting days is something that is an obvious turn-off for the hardcore crowd.

Didn't Little Big Planet lock level features behind Single Player unlocks?

It's been years since I've played that game, so I don't remember.

I do remember them locking the crazy level prop known as "water" behind DLC.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Some in here just love defending Nintendo's idiotic decisions.

what an analysis. it's not idiotic. it's idiotic for YOU. and you probably make up the .001% of their spreadsheet of consumer interests that they deem 'not financially relevant'

you can call them morons I guess, but if splatoon is anything to go by, drip feeding the content of a game is a good business plan. you don't have to like it, but don't outright call it stupid, because it pretty much is not. 'extra content' , 'for free' is something that keeps people coming back.

too much content at once leads to overload as well. we all know this right? 1000000 options at the start leads me to 'fuck I guess I'll play 1,1' then give up for a bit.

nintendo understands that peoples attention spans are short and a constant release of 'new' content holds the attention longer. also, I imagine dumping something like a level editor with 100000 option on 90% of the population would be overwhelming.

Is this something we know from past experience? Incredible Machine, Trackmania, Little Big Planet, Boom Blox, whatever? Are people really confused and receive these games poorly?

Blobbers

This is so stupid.

I literally see no valid reason for Nintendo to have done this, and I've been racking my brains for the last 35 seconds.

Exile20

Nintendo copying LBP? Is this a joke? LBP was the first? oh my....

Not sure the reason for the quotes around the word pass but if you are passing on the game for this reason then wow.

benjammin

It wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't do something stupid. If you're going to lock things away, then at least do it with a purpose. Don't just assign arbitrary amounts of time to unlockables for no reason.

That game shipped without gameplay though.

Forkball

too much content at once leads to overload as well. we all know this right? 1000000 options at the start leads me to 'fuck I guess I'll play 1,1' then give up for a bit.
Tell me one game you played where the first five minutes were so overwhelming you quit forever.

Yasumi

Banned
This is so dumb and unNintendo.

Why not have something like a "Tooltorial"? Plop the player into a situation where they have to use one of the specific unlockable tools to reach a goal or clear an obstacle.

Player starts on one side of a large open pit, they're given koopas + wing tools, "Reach the goal", give enemies items, "Defeat all enemies". Stuff like that, with a full toolrow mix at the end, reminiscent of Rhythm Heaven.

Engage the player through content unlocks. This is Mario Maker developed by Nintendo, they could've done so much more.

Having a timer is so arbitrary. The dripfeed "keep the player's interest over time" strategy just seems so scummy.

It wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't do something stupid. If you're going to lock things away, then at least do it with a purpose. Don't just assign arbitrary amounts of time to unlockables for no reason.

Nah dude, you gotta play at least a day to really understand how to properly incorporate wild and exotic Mario mechanics like the Fire Flower. Nintendo's just looking out for the masses who aren't expert level programmers.

Just like Splatoon, this is about taking a potentially challenging tool or new idea and giving it to the player in pieces so they are not overwhelmed.

I'll never forget the mental breakdown I suffered when I first saw a 1UP mushroom. What did 1 UP even mean? Why didn't I get bigger? What was the meaning of "lives?" The shock and horror of these challenging Mario mechanics was simply too much to process. Thank God Nintendo in 2015 knows that gamers can't handle an overwhelming amount of ideas on day 1.

Exile20

I wish they would atleast explain some of the decisions that they make. I am sure it would atleast make some kind of sense if they explained it, maybe?

javac

Some in here just love defending Nintendo's idiotic decisions.

Or maybe I sympathize with Nintendo plight, releasing a passion project, a Mario level creator, only for people to go and create garbage levels by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the first level they make only then to complain about it. Sometimes people really are stupid and need restraints. Is 9 days too long? Yes 100%, but not having everything available for everyone day one is something I agree with as long as the content is added in within a reasonable time and of course free.

The notion that people believe Nintendo didn't do this without proper market research and focus group testing is astonishing.

Speaking of proper market research, here they are last year asking where you bought Smash Bros 3DS. Did you buy your copy at Blockbuster like I did?

Blockbuster_zps49bde6b5.jpg

Or maybe I sympathize with Nintendo plight, releasing a passion project, a Mario level creator, only for people to go and create garbage levels by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the first level they make only then to complain about it. Sometimes people really are stupid and need restraints. Is 9 days too long? Yes 100%, but not having everything available for everyone day one is something I agree with as long as the content is added in within a reasonable time and of course free.

As opposed to everyone jus tmaking garbage levels with what little they're given in the first day? You're going to have to explain to me how that's any better.

The people who are going to be good at desgining great levels are going to do it when they can. Most of the people are going to make terrible levels no amtter how content is gated off. At least, certainly not like this.

Gating content by a timer does nothing to teach you how to make a good level and so it is absolutely pointless.

Neiteio

I think they're trying to "train" the early adopters/ambassadors by forcing them to focus on one set of tools at a time, so that they develop some mastery of the fundamentals. This could lead to better levels earlier.

Or so they think. I really don't think this is necessary, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Then I hate it

Splatoon is neat because it's like, if you're not looking at the text dumps you don't know anything about it.

We've seen tons of this stuff, like the Chain Chomp, and then we're going to get the game and wait nine days to use Chain Chomps.

But can't we just move the clock ahead nine days? Or is it a flat "nine days after release, this shit is available"?

Zubz

Banned
I think they're trying to "train" the early adopters/ambassadors by forcing them to focus on one set of tools at a time, so that they develop some mastery of the fundamentals. This could lead to better levels earlier.

Or so they think. I really don't think this is necessary, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

That's the way I see them thinking, but the way I see it, that's more of a reason for people not to bother being early adopters. Unless everyone's stuck behind this 9 Day Timer no matter when they pick up this game, like some of the stuff in WarioWare: DIY was.

Shang

Wait, doesn't this just make it more daunting to make levels because you have to complete a 9-day program in order to actually start making levels? If I could unlock it over the course of a few hours, that would be more reasonable, but 9 days? Oy.

Top Bottom