• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

Cerium

Did anyone else catch this?

hN9Pd6v.png

Dixie Street? Cranky Avenue? Diddy's Mart?

Might as well call it Kong City.

Shiggy

Why are you guys talking about Sonic games now? Even if the game turns out badly, there's no way it's gonna reach Sonic mediocrity levels.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the later shots with the big floating inverted pyramid and riding the stone lion all take place in the same world as those scenes I GIF'd.

Nah, i think that must be the Egypt level. But OK, probably there's more to it than it seems at first glance.

Aldric

That level looks aesthetically pleasing but... level design wise? It's just a street with some houses to the sides?

Do you guys even bother looking at what the trailer shows you?

lt's a large "open world" level with the town at the start and a variety of structures and landmarks scattered around it: the large fortress in the background with a high tower where the objective seems to be, a huge floating pyramid, more traditional platforming sections high above the ground where you have to dodge Galaxy's circular lasers, a poisonous lake with a smaller structure in the middle of it etc.

lt's Sunshine type level design supposed to excite your curiosity and desire to explore and experiment. As far as l'm concerned it already succeeds based on simply a few seconds of footage.

PaulloDEC

Nah, i think that must be the Egypt level. But OK, probably there's more to it than it seems at first glance.

That's what I thought initially too, but looking back at the footage shows the same red sand/blue sky/clear crystal structures in the "Egypt" areas as we've seen in the "Mexico" areas. So unless they're repeating that same visual motif in two distinct areas, they must be part of the same one.

Why are you guys talking about Sonic games now? Even if the game turns out badly, there's no way it's gonna reach Sonic mediocrity levels.

I don't think anyone is making Sonic comparisons for anything other than the visual style.

taoofjord

Anyone able to find out who the art director is? I'd be extremely surprised if it's anyone that's worked on a previous Mario game outside of maybe the visually uninspired New series.

Even the low poly world, an aesthetic I LOVE, disappoints. The art really just isn't up to the quality of most other Mario games. Obviously it's subjective, but whatever, I'm pretty disappointed.

so it seems pretty likely that the boss of the city will be Donkey Kong? maybe atop a Empire State Building-style skyscraper you have to scale? including a mini re-creation of the first DK game?

Do you guys even bother looking at what the trailer shows you?

lt's a large "open world" level with the town at the start and a variety of structures and landmarks scattered around it: the large fortress in the background with a high tower where the objective seems to be, a huge floating pyramid, more traditional platforming sections high above the ground where you have to dodge Galaxy's circular lasers, a poisonous lake with a smaller structure in the middle of it etc.

lt's Sunshine type level design supposed to excite your curiosity and desire to explore and experiment. As far as l'm concerned it already succeeds based on simply a few seconds of footage.

Ah shit, you're right, the Mexico level is the one with the pyramid! I did not notice. I assumed there was a Mexico level and a Egypt level (the one with the bullet bills)

This game is the only total surprise of the presentation for me! Totally in love with everything about it! Just a shame that I will have to buy a Switch to play it...

That's what I thought initially too, but looking back at the footage shows the same red sand/blue sky/clear crystal structures in the "Egypt" areas as we've seen in the "Mexico" areas. So unless they're repeating that same visual motif in two distinct areas, they must be part of the same one.

I don't think anyone is making Sonic comparisons for anything other than the visual style.

Yeah! Just watched and noticed! I stand corrected.

Alienous

so it seems pretty likely that the boss of the city will be Donkey Kong? maybe atop a Empire State Building-style skyscraper you have to scale? including a mini re-creation of the first DK game?

There was a snake-like boss thing crawling along the top of an Empire State Building clone in the trailer, I think.

Cerium

There was a snake-like boss thing crawling along the top of an Empire State Building clone in the trailer, I think.

If it's SM64 style like they said, there will probably be multiple missions set in the same world. I wouldn't doubt that one of them will involve DK throwing barrels from the top of the highest building.

Cerium

Is "open world" really the right term? I thought this was more like Mario 64, i.e. moderately-sized levels that you can explore in a non-linear fashion?

The scale of it looks like it qualifies as an open world in the same way that Dragon Age Inquisition is called open world.

Zetta

This gave me such a big Mario 64 vibe that I would rather have this at launch than Zelda. I will buy the NS once this comes out, just looks like such a fun time now all I need is some Luigi action.

Spinluck

No. Most of us are worried because Sonic 06' tried visuals like that and we all know how amazing that turned out to be.

Aside from the realistic city, everything else shown looks amazing.

Disagree.

images

Sonic 06 completely borked and compromised the design of the characters going for this hyper realistic look to match it's angyst edgelord bullshit of a story and direction.

Stretching out proportions and choosing straight up stupid looking stances and poses for the characters.

Ffs they even ruin Eggman.

Eggman06.png

Here's what they look like in their games when good aesthetics are in play.

SonicSSBVFull.png

Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_-_Doctor_Eggman.png

This is absolutely not Sonic 06. Mario is as vibrant as the world around him and maintenance his trademark features and proportions. The lighting is great and helps him blend into any world he's in. Just because the world isn't the traditional cohesive look, doesn't mean they "clash" because we're not accustomed to seeing them in Mario games. It looks fine. It may not be your cup of tea, but Nintendo's artist didn't fail by any means.

Edit:pardon the shit links. I'm on mobile.

saskuatch

I think the Mario game looks fantastic, especially if they can manage to clean up some of the rough edges. I do have issues with the realistic section, it just doesn't jive with me.

Simbabbad

I don't even understand how a 3D Mario game with worlds can be criticized as having "Visual clash" after the beloved 64 had no cohesiveness to its levels. That shit was all over the place.

Like if they showed a trailer of Lethal Lava Land, Whomps Fortress and Big Boos Haunt would people really be going "Yeah but it's not cohesive!"
How so? It's the exact same art style? Not that it looks very good, but then again, that was the N64.

The fact you have to go back to the very first 3D Mario game and one of the first 3D platformers to find something as visually problematic is telling. This thing is a visual abomination.

bart64

Banned
How so? It's the exact same art style? Not that it looks very good, but then again, that was the N64.

The fact you have to go back to the very first 3D Mario game and one of the first 3D platformers to find something as visually problematic is telling. This thing is a visual abomination.
I strongly disagree, it looks beautiful in my eyes. It has the variety of 64, but with even more imagination and vastness. I was in awe at the reveal. Made the last few games look like lego sets.

No. Most of us are worried because Sonic 06' tried visuals like that and we all know how amazing that turned out to be.

Aside from the realistic city, everything else shown looks amazing.

Sonic 06' didn't 'try visuals like this'. Sonic 06's city and this game's city look nothing alike, and Sonic 06's visual asthetic (especially in the city) has far more problems to it than just that Sonic is among humans. I suggest you hit up youtube and remind yourself what that game looked like.

So now Mario and Zelda are both open world games? Maybe the next Mario Kart will be open world as well. Mario Kart Paradise.

3D Mario just looks like it's going back to its 64& Sunshine sandbox roots really.
I did wonder if they'd mix up the next Mario Kart like that, to differentiate it from 8/Deluxe, but maybe they'll keep 8 going with more dlc

I get that but it's not just DK that's getting references here.
There's a K Rool road too so it's not just Kongs

Chunky

The classic Sonic games have a broadly complimentary design and physics system that allows players of different gaming styles to place an emphasis on exploration and casual play, or on actual skillful speed-running by taking advantage of the physics and intentionally-placed platforms and slopes. The pacing of the games is more variable from moment-to-moment and from stage-to-stage, leading to one stage that can focus on more straightforward rolling and dashing while the next focuses more on timing jumps and more claustrophobic design, all within a physics system that can be most easily described as adhering to the animation principle of ease-in and ease-out. Level gimmicks also had the leeway to be unique per stage and could range from see-saws, ziplines, boost pads, magnets, centrifugal obstacles, and other things you could think of that fit within the physics system and the level's theme.

The boost games on the other hand leave the exploration part to the wayside (with the arguable exception of Unleashed due to its themes but different argument for a different day) by creating a rigid gameplay style and narrow physics system where speedrunning is the entire point, allowing most people to perform visually flashy feats of skill and feel like a badass through nothing more than rote memorization and twitch gameplay. The pacing of these games (at least the good ones because, again, fuck Colors) is more of a binary state: Sonic reaches top speed immediately, the slopes that exist have little discernible impact on acceleration and speed, and he moves at a constant until he is stopped by a platforming segment (smartly telegraphed most of the time with camera switches). As a result of how narrow the gameplay style is, level gimmicks tend to be more conservative and used throughout each stage to prevent any sort of confusion that would muddy the point of speed running- dash pads, rainbow rings, rails, and poles to swing from are in most levels regardless of whether or not they make sense to be there or are unique enough to the level's theme. You occasionally get something like Rooftop Run's balloons.

Classic and boosting gameplay are fun in their own ways but they're nowhere near close analogues to one another be worth comparing to, especially not compared to Sonic's actual gameplay in Adventure where the rolling and Spin Dash, ease-in and ease-out, a believable sense of gravity, and more contextualized design and level gimmicks like in the classic games actually still exist. You might as well say that Burnout and Forza are the basically the same because you can drive cars fast.

First, Sonic has always taken place in an analogue of Earth in the Japanese canon, which the Japanese Sonic Team was always going to favor. Second, the settings of the classics are disparate islands and statistically cannot be considered representative of the rest of the planet anyway. Third, the detail and realism of the classic games actually increased as time went on; Angel Island looks more like a real island than Green Hill does by placing a higher emphasis on detail and rendering versus sticking straight to abstract geometric stand-ins of real world locations and flora. Fourth, a human city is the third level in Sonic 1. And fifth, Sonic Adventure, despite its push for realism, nonetheless maintains a generally lighthearted color scheme and fantastic use of scale, set pieces, and otherwise nonsensical design that keeps the world from being perfectly representative of ours. SA1 is in ways a natural conclusion of what Sonic Team had always envisioned in the first place.

What is your point? GoldenEye was fucking amazing back in the day but it's a piece of garbage now with modern FPS standards having supplanted it. So this doesn't serve to refute anything. The majority of games- nay, the majority of all media is nothing but a product of its time. For every decent-ish 3D game from 1997, I can find 15 more that would be outright unacceptable today regardless of their initial receptions. So what matters then in a reasonable conversation that takes history into account is comparing initial performance and cultural fallout when gauging the meaning and impact that any particular work had. And the fact remains that SA1 did far better than what "classic diehards" (and I put this in serious air quotes because you've displayed no reasonable working knowledge of how the classic games actually played) remember it did.

K.

Fuck this patronizing bullshit with a rusty fork?

yo
We both obviously love sonic so I feel bad if I came off patronising. Apologies.
However, I have to disagree with pretty much everything you said :lol
Your notion that SA's level themes follow naturally from the Megadrive games is probably what I have least problem with. Maybe given better technology, Sonic Team could've pulled off what they were going for and it would have fit with the classics better. As it stands, Adventure looks like trash. Maybe the first three were also going for a semblance of realism but the abstraction required to make them on megadrive clearly worked wonders.

I really don't think you can argue that the boost games lack the exploration aspect of the originals. In 1 through 3 you had your high, mid and low routes and in Generations especially that is translated to 3D perfectly. You can just boost (aka hold right, fam), but take the time and you can spend hours finding all the routes, getting your red stars and finding the critical path for a speed run. I honestly doubt I can change your mind, but trust me when I say we both have an equal working knowledge of the blue dude ta very much.
Anyway it's 1am in England and we've derailed this thread enough. If you want to post a new thread bout this I'd gladly post in it in the morning.

Fuck sonic adventure with rusty razors ;)

I'm more talking about level design. Even Mario 64 has platforming levels..

Like three of them.
:p

I imagine they'll be a few token levels that resemble the dense, rich, tightly focused, creative obstacle courses from the so called "accessible" (this is what Mr.Miyamoto officially called them in the stream) 3D Mario games like Galaxy and 3D World.
But I'm expecting this game to mainly consist of lot of "Oh no! This person's cat is stuck in a tree, roll down the hill and bash it to get the MaGuffin!", "Gather some food in the immediate area and throw it in the pot!", and "swing on these 8 or so polls to get to the MacGuffin!"
You know that Spyro the Dragon/Banjo-Kazooie shit, stuff that feels like a Zelda side-quest.
Sandbox Mario in a nutshell.

Regiruler

The boss that was on the tower spire looked absolutely incredible and the new looks for the rogues gallery is nice.

Not much else I got from that trailer.

Jazzem

I'm somewhat forgiving of the image quality as I'm so happy they stick to 60fps for Mario platformers, Galaxy 1-2 and 3D World benefited wonders from it.

Helps that the trailer for this is bursting with many clever ideas, has me really excited :)

Maybe you plebs aren't creative enough to realize this garbage but me, a genius and your intellectual better, will educate you about how wrong you are.

Do you guys realize that you are living embodiments of dril tweets at some point

I mean to be fair, both pro and anti Donk posters are sort of talking past each other with stuff like this right now. People really need to stop acting like people who disagree with them aren't as learned as they are about artistic dissonance/artistic cohesion and explain why they think it's good or bad.

Nepenthe

yo
We both obviously love sonic so I feel bad if I came off patronising. Apologies.
However, I have to disagree with pretty much everything you said :lol
Your notion that SA's level themes follow naturally from the Megadrive games is probably what I have least problem with. Maybe given better technology, Sonic Team could've pulled off what they were going for and it would have fit with the classics better. As it stands, Adventure looks like trash. Maybe the first three were also going for a semblance of realism but the abstraction required to make them on megadrive clearly worked wonders.

I really don't think you can argue that the boost games lack the exploration aspect of the originals. In 1 through 3 you had your high, mid and low routes and in Generations especially that is translated to 3D perfectly. You can just boost (aka hold right, fam), but take the time and you can spend hours finding all the routes, getting your red stars and finding the critical path for a speed run. I honestly doubt I can change your mind, but trust me when I say we both have an equal working knowledge of the blue dude ta very much.
Anyway it's 1am in England and we've derailed this thread enough. If you want to post a new thread bout this I'd gladly post in it in the morning.

Fuck sonic adventure with rusty razors ;)

No problem dude.

Also, I don't think the first three games were going for realism, at least in a comparable sense to one another. However, the longer the series was developed for, the more materials (trees, flowers, rocks, metals, water/ice, etc.) began to trend towards more realistic depictions. Most plants weren't flat planes of color anymore; they started to be more comparable to real leaves in terms of shape and number of instances. The only real outlier to this is in terms of a linear timeline is Sonic CD, but then again I consider that game a fucking abomination until Taxman finally fixed it.

The different paths in the boost games don't amount to much except for diversions from the main path. A rail here or a path here to perhaps find something like an extra life, but in quick time you're diverted back on the main path. On top of that, because the game's goal is speedrunning there's only one real optimal way to go anyway; couple that with the self-admitted nightmare of making up to 10 real-world kilometers of geometry for Sonic to travel along per level, then it's clear the style gives Sonic Team far less leeway to make levels that have the kind of vertical nature of something like Marble Garden from Sonic 3. Indeed, the classics on average had more vertical space, lending themselves to an actual possibility of dropping deep down in the annals of the stages and taking completely different paths all the way to the end without ever really seeing the "main path," if there was a "main path." This type of exploration just isn't physically possible in the boost games because the land space doesn't exist. Boost gameplay (and by proxy the appearance of Classic Sonic in Gens) is not classic gameplay in any meaningful sense, no more than the godawful Sonic 4 was classic gameplay.

But you know what? That's fine. I don't inherently think 3D Sonic games need to ape classic games to be good. If anything, that's what the boost gameplay proved! But I find that it's an objective falsehood to say that there's greater parity between even just the physics systems of the boost and classic games versus the physics of the first two Adventures and the classic games, whether you're comparing them in terms of what the math was doing or just their spiritual feel: the idea of Sonic being a ball that gradually traveled in arcs versus a bullet that immediately blasted straight forward. And I think it's these kinds of inaccuracies and simplifications taken as fact over the years that have both completely ruined online discourse surrounding Sonic and actual direct communication to Sonic Team.

As a result, the 3D Sonic games still don't have much of an identity worth being excited about to me, and they have proceeded to leave really good ideas by the wayside because these ideas- the simple idea that Sonic should act like a pinball similar to how he did in Adventure- are easily conflated with "Sonic 06" and thus people shut down; they don't even want to hear it because visceral reactions overtake reasoned discourse. I feel the games are now a shell of their former selves even as quality control standards have undoubtedly risen. Each level is completely interchangeable with one another in design, and taken as a whole these games have a nonexistent difficulty curve which makes them, well, boring! You're doing the same thing against the same obstacles with the same skill threshold from beginning to end for six hours, if that; it's the definition of tedium! Reskin these boost levels with different textures and you lose absolutely nothing in terms of identity, because the designs are not at all informed by a creative context of their setting or their place in the story, but by the maintenance of a rigid and limiting design threshold that prevents Sonic Team from implementing a creative idea like, say, actually having the casino stage function like a working pinball machine (versus a boost stage with casino textures), and dropping you in the sewer system- the real Sonic level- if you lose! Don't even get me started on all of the wasted design potential by not even including Tails anymore as a playable partner.

I get it. Sonic 06 came out and was a disaster. Sonic Team had to do something real fast to recover whatever semblance of dignity they and the franchise had left, and I'm grateful they did if only because Sonic Unleashed was an absolute riot for me personally. But the systematic removal of everything that made Sonic unique, fun, and worth buying over other platformers because these ideas were also used during Sonic's early 3D days should have been a stop-gap measure to regain trust and focus, not their modus operandi going forward for his entire foreseeable future. Sonic Team doesn't need a New Sonic The Hedgehog U. It needs a fucking Sonic The Hedgehog Odyssey since yesterday. It needs the depth back. It needs the unique ball physics back. It needs the reliance on narrative and spacial context back. And these things were present in the Adventure games and classic games. Reskinned boost games with empty narratives and locations that are checked off a "Generic Platformer List" aren't cutting it for me anymore.

So how about dat dere Odyssey?

I'm glad to see the return of semi open worlds and the acrobatic moveset but I'm disappointed the game appears to transport you through a series of unrelated stages via your hat spaceship.

Member the 2d marios where you would move through themed naturally connected lands of the mushroom kingdom? When will they recreate this in a 3D Mario? :/

The art is all over the place and looks extremely amateur in the city and forest environments. Like something you'd see in a crappy 3D card graphics demo fifteen years ago. However, the possibility that Donkey King may return as a mini boss where they could recreate Mario ascending a crooked building framework while jumping barrels and dodging obstacles is quite awesome.

bbdude

I wonder if New Donk City is loosely based on the Big City level from Donkey Kong 94. Also I'm getting major Super Mario Land vibes from the desert setting + the lion that Mario rides. It is a lot like the ones that breathe fire in the GB game

Top Bottom