• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Hands On

ant1532

Banned
IGN HANDS ON - http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826602p1.html

GAMESPOT HANDS ON
- http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supersmashbros/news.html?sid=6180804&tag=recent_updates;title;0

1UP Hands on Videos - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3163615

MarkMacD said:
Super Smash is the one game not embargoed! Two narrated vids from the demo that NoA put on (more on the way), it's Nate Bihldorff from the Treehouse talking:

sonic vs link, cool starfox bkrnd, super sonic:
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/15372

mario vs samus, shows char and stage select advance wars cameo, samus' smash attack:
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/15373

4 player: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/15401

more incoming!

live-blog-nintendo-media-summit-2007-20071011094316680-000.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Other attacks we've seen already include a floating Metroid that sucks onto battlers, a massive attack of multiple 2D Advance Wars sprites, various Pokemon, a dashing Drill Dozer attack, the Excite Bike attack (similar to the Advance Wars move), and then of course the fire flower, baseball bat, beam sword, and the like. There were multiple times within the fight where we got our butts kicked simply because we were captivated by nostalgia; priceless.

:D :D

Since each character can also switch colors pre-fight, Nintendo took the opportunity to seamlessly include Dark Link as one of the character options. He fights the same, but looks totally badass, which is a must.

Since each character can also switch colors pre-fight, Nintendo took the opportunity to seamlessly include Dark Link as one of the character options. He fights the same, but looks totally badass, which is a must.

Enk

makes good threads.

That IS badass! I wonder what the other secrets the costume changes might hold...

Looks absolutely awesome. They've put alot of work into this one and it shows. Can't wait for it. I REALLY want to give Sonic a try...why did you delay it Nintendo? Why?!

Innotech

Banned
GAZERK said:
Looks absolutely awesome. They've put alot of work into this one and it shows. Can't wait for it. I REALLY want to give Sonic a try...why did you delay it Nintendo? Why?!
Because Nintendo cant make enough wiis to satisfy this kind of demand plus the holiday demand. It would be a legendary fuckup come to think of it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This Wii version uses Melee as its foundation and builds upwards from there. The control and fighting mechanic hasn't changed a bit…but every character has had their core attacks and abilities been balanced and fine-tuned.

Good news. I take his word that he's a seasoned Smash player and would know all the deeper gameplay elements in Melee.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Norfair is a level? Terrific!

PLEASE tell me there's a remix of the Lower Norfair theme from Super Metroid.

Firestorm

Read it through the tears that only a delay could bring.

Other attacks we've seen already include a floating Metroid that sucks onto battlers, a massive attack of multiple 2D Advance Wars sprites

If you're fresh from the Super Smash Bros. Melee fight on the GameCube, everything that's in today's Super Smash Bros. Brawl demo will feel like home. This Wii version uses Melee as its foundation and builds upwards from there. The control and fighting mechanic hasn't changed a bit…but every character has had their core attacks and abilities been balanced and fine-tuned. There are so many subtle changes to each character it's really hard to explain them without sounding like some sort of Smash Bros. snob.

The game is gorgeous, and hasn't lost a beat moving to the Wii. It's fully widescreen supported which definitely works to this game's advantage. It still runs at a silky smooth 60 frames per second, and all the characters look far more detailed than they did on the GameCube.

Boo-yeah.

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
Norfair is a level!!

Dammit. Does every Metroid level need fire/acid? Get out of Super Metroid and gimme my Chozo Ruins Sakurai.

Although this does mean Lower Norfair / Magmoor Caverns music might be in :D

Firestorm

woxel1 said:
Hey, a totally different player select menu. How nice.

What is the white box next to Bowser for? Looks like RANDOM?

It looks like the same one as from the Japanese event two days ago. Also, SSBM has a random character select too. Just press the blank space to the left of Pichu or the right of Roy.

ant1532

Banned
Firestorm said:
Dammit. Does every Metroid level need fire/acid? Get out of Super Metroid and gimme my Chozo Ruins Sakurai.

Although this does mean Lower Norfair / Magmoor Caverns music might be in :D
:lol yeah, but it was already said Retro wasn't asked to lend any of thier stuff to them so I doubt any Prime will be in it sadly..

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
:lol yeah, but it was already said Retro wasn't asked to lend any of thier stuff to them so I doubt any Prime will be in it sadly..

Yeah, I randomly remembered that fact last night but still hold out hope =( Although if he didn't even get Retro's help any western third party character is out.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
ant1532 said:

No Prime stuff? Hmm...

In that case, hopefully any other Metroid levels we get won't have freaking lava in them. Maridia or a proper, jungle Brinstar would be nice.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
rhfb said:
that char select screen looks rather small :( site blocked so I cant rtfa, but is that semi-final build?
You're kidding right? There's been a lot more characters confirmed than that, that's just what's available on the demo.

woxel1

Firestorm said:
It looks like the same one as from the Japanese event two days ago. Also, SSBM has a random character select too. Just press the blank space to the left of Pichu or the right of Roy.
I know that. Did they really have to make it that obvious (and garish)? I know it's only a demo, but...

castle007

Banned
Sounds awesome

That means this christmas Super Mario Galaxy is going to be my bitch. (Actually, I am going to be its bitch lol)

Jirotrom said:
So does anyone know the exact reason for the delay... I don't mind it but would really like to know.
Delay to January: Because Sakurai wants to work on the game some more.
Delay to February for America: Because NOA does not know what they're doing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jirotrom said:
So does anyone know the exact reason for the delay... I don't mind it but would really like to know.

cannabalism, primarily
Wi Fi diorama sharing, secondly

ShockingAlberto said:
Delay to January: Because Sakurai wants to work on the game some more.
Delay to February for America: Because NOA does not know what they're doing.

What? If Sakurai wants to work on the game til January what made people think that we would get a US version a month before Japan?

:lol :lol :lol

Duderz said:
Even though Retro didn't give any assets for Sakurai, I hope a Prime-inspired level is in the game.

who said Retro did not lie to cover up secrets? this is Nintendo we are messing with

not even one Sonic image leaked before hand

CoolS

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
MAIN QUESTION ABOUT GAMEPLAY: YAY OR NAY ?

This Wii version uses Melee as its foundation and builds upwards from there. The control and fighting mechanic hasn't changed a bit…but every character has had their core attacks and abilities been balanced and fine-tuned.

There it is.

Jiggy

Advance Wars: Happy that it's gotten representation. Sad that it probably means no playable Andy and Sami.

Drill Dozer: Happy that it's gotten representation. Sad that it means no playable Jill--she would have been really unique.

Norfair: Awesome. :D And I called it, by the way... I said it would be in just to spite Firestorm, who's been begging for Chozo Ruins every day.

Alternate costumes (Dark Link): Wonderful news. :D There's probably no Dark Samus, though, or I'm guessing they would have noticed... I'll keep holding out hope for Marin Zelda and other extraordinarily unlikely creations.

Meta Knight being awesome: THANK YOU. :D My favorite of the newcomers, he's bound to get into my top rotation... I always like the aerial characters anyway.

Minus button for tossing items on Wiimote only: Eh, I can't see myself even possibly adjusting to that. Throwing items is about all I ever do since I use mostly characters with no special move projectiles, or weak ones.

Top Bottom