• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That light saber was so much money because it's for the pros like Kirita who has the skill to use it. Kirita gonna slice some noobs and deflect their bullets with dat saber watch.

poor 'ol Sinon, who will probably remain clueless about Kirito's real gender until the plot can do the whole "You lied to me all this time! I hate you!" act.

Yep this is expected, and then she'll fall in love with him and find out he already has a girl and then she'll be salty.

JulianImp

Welp, I guess I should've known better than revealing a post that's completely hidden by spoiler tags... The lack of context makes it impossible to know whether the tagged content is a real spoiler, some last-episode discussion, more speculation or just a joke.

I can't wait for Virgin Mary Kirita to teach those gun-toting players (read: everyone) a lesson. Perhaps it isn't that lighsabers downright suck, but that they're so freaking expensive that most players would rather use a top-of-the-line gun instead.

Also, did I miss them them or does GGO have no grenades whatsoever? They're kind of a staple of shooter games, so that strikes me as odd...
unless GGO is based on TF2, and the next time Kirito opens his inventory we're treated to four pages of random crate drops that he has no use for.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think she'll overcome her phobia and bullying issues by drawing inspiration from Kirito. She won't pine over him endlessly like the other girls.

Hypron

I think she'll overcome her phobia and bullying issues by drawing inspiration from Kirito. She won't pine over him endlessly like the other girls.

This is SAO we're talking about. I'd be very surprised if she didn't develop feelings for Kirito.

-Horizon-

Also, did I miss them them or does GGO have no grenades whatsoever? They're kind of a staple of shooter games, so that strikes me as odd...
unless GGO is based on TF2, and the next time Kirito opens his inventory we're treated to four pages of random crate drops that he has no use for.
I recall a grenade being used in episode 2 to take down a couple of members of that other group facing Sinon and her group.

Haly

This is SAO we're talking about. I'd be very surprised if she didn't develop feelings for Kirito.
Well obviously. But she'll get something else, on top of the cockthirst.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
3UmeaYil.jpg

Nitorin is a terrible character, and Reki Kawahara shows us why.

Critics and fans alike were simply bamboozled by hack author Takako Shimura's abrasively pedantic Wandering Son. 100 chapters of meandering, aimless storytelling culminating in an adaptation that was so bad that anime fans in Japan completely ignored it and American fans were completely allergic to it. In fact, it's telling that masterpieces such as Attack on Titan have been licensed and became smash hits while a terrible, terrible show like Wandering Son remains stuck in a ghetto of licensing limbo. Even more telling is the fact that Crunchyroll thinks so little of Wandering Son that they didn't bother even to release the director's cut episodes of episode 10 and 11, choosing the abridge the series in order to save their bandwidth on much more compelling shows such as the clearly superior Sword At Online.

Crunchyroll clearly made the right decision, since Sword Art Online S2 4 is proof positive that Kawahara is the master of writing insightful LGBT stories, while Shimura is clearly past her prime.

We already have a strong female protagonist with an interesting backstory in Sinon, and now we have a great trans character in Kirito:
ePVy7aSl.jpg

Kawahara has combined Judith Butler's theories on gender performativity with a genuine sympathy of the trans experience that Shimura could never quite reach. One might criticize Kawahara for sensationalizing gender by making the character appear female, but this is clearly a perfect use of allegory to illustrate the fluidity of gender and also offer insight into the complicated issue of gender and sexuality. Indeed, I would put Kawahara up with great masters such as Philip K. Dick and Ursula Le Guin, as he is clearly a master of both the function and form of science fiction.

Indeed, this is a masterfully complicated episode, as it explores the myriad of abuses and sexual assaults that women face every day:
HqmqW1hl.jpg

But we also see Kirito seamlessly slip into his new feminine identity:
yYvc9pjl.jpg

Trapped in a loveless "marriage" heterosexual marriage with Asuna, it's clear that perhaps Kirito has always been closeted and wanted to transition. Although she is clearly afraid to do so in her real life, in the world of GGO, she is able to become who she truly wants to be. Suddenly Sword Art Online becomes as much about the angst of repressed gender identity as it is a treatise on feminism, following on the tradition of campy films such as Hedwig and the Angry Inch and more serious faire such as Transamerica. Here, in this virtual world free from the judgemental eyes of a cis-centric, heteronormative Japan, Kirito is able to transgress into a world that is post-gender and post-sexuality.

Indeed, it is fitting that the episode ends with a clear homage to the feminist, gender-queered film Thelma and Louise:
9lxRuBcl.jpg

We know that acclaimed director Ridley Scott chose to express feminist, Sapphic freedom through destructive nihilism, as both Thelma and Louise choose to commit suicide rather than face the false justice offered by men, members of which attempted to rape and rob them.
LWfc0Z5.jpg

Kirito's cliffjumping, with Sinon embracing her tightly, is a moment of affirmation: not only of their newfound friendship, but also of Kirito's new identity. It's an amazing inversion of the dark, conclusive ending that Scott executed, using the moment of riding off the cliff as a positive image. After the stunning failure that was Prometheus, perhaps Ridley Scott should ask Kawahara to write the sequel! Certainly there is a clear synergy between the two artists that binds them together.

hkpwMc2l.jpg

It also bears mentioning that by giving Kirito a lightsaber, Kawahara has managed to do what George Lucas and JJ Abrams were unable to do - feature a strong female protagonist as a kind of "Jedi Master". This is the 21st century and Kawahara definitively shows that he is a modern man with an understanding of the modern world.

If the first episode showed the strength of Kawahara as a man who examines the post-human world of the cybernetic virtual cyborg, blowing away luminaries such as William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, then we really understand that Kawahara is more than just a one trick pony that understands the true possibilities of science fiction as a genre.

Very detailed analysis of this episode.

However I would elaborate on Kirito's (or is it Kirito-chan?!?) choice of weapon.
If we view the light saber as the phallic object it obviously is, Kirito-chans embrace of it becomes quite symbolic!
As you see he can't yet let go of his former male identity and him trying to put the sword on his back emphasises this fact (brilliant directing here) that he is unable to seperate from his past as the heroic patriarchal male figure that saved 6000 lives during the events of SAO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Very detailed analysis of this episode.

However I would elaborate on Kirito's (or is it Kirito-chan?!?) choice of weapon.
If we view the light saber as the phallic object it obviously is, Kirito-chans embrace of it becomes quite symbolic!
As you see he can't yet let go of his former male identity and him trying to put the sword on his back emphasises this fact (brilliant directing here) that he is unable to seperate from his past as the heroic patriarchal male figure that saved 6000 lives during the events of SAO.
By detaching his penis, he shows that he can be free of it. It becomes purely a tool and not an integral part of his body!

By detaching his penis, he shows that he can be free of it. It becomes purely a tool and not an integral part of his body!

That is cyber punk as hell.
Now Kirito-chans line about wanting to try a more cyberpunk setting after his fantasy adventures is brilliant on a meta level.
Kawahara da god

Haly

Masterful.

Except for the lack of editing.

JulianImp

So, I've been reading up on the thread's earlier posts...

The funny thing is that this actually make sense.
What scares me is that this hair reminds me from the front of Inaba-chan. Why SAO? WHY MUST YOU DESTROY EVERYTHINGS THATS GOOD AND PURE?!

God damn, now I can't unsee. It doesn't help that I really liked Kokoro Connect.

Also, Kirito's character is now even closer to being an exact replica of Sephiroth! I guess he'll be dying his hair gray starting with the next VRMMO.

That whole 'Bullet trajectory projection Line' system is some bullshit

How does the game know where the round are going to go before the player even pulls the trigger

I'm betting this is how Kirito will be playing jedi deflecting shit and what not

Quoting this simply because of how the plot managed to debunk this somewhat viable theory because lol Kirito-sama's stats make him faster than even GGO's built-in reverse aimbot.

Actually, wouldn't Asuna be able to hold onto the items since they share their item storage space due to being married in-game?
That was in SAO not ALO.

Just realized while watching the latest episode that Asuna's in-game wedding ring shows up during the opening, so I guess they're still married in ALO.

It's nice to see how SAO's writer was able to accurately predict online game trends so accuratedly, since he perfectly nailed Pokémon Bank's inability to transfer items between games. I know I won't be playing any Occulus Rift games on day one anytime soon just in case the game developers end up trapping the players in a death game just like in the Alfheim incident.

Also, firehawk's episode summaries are godlike, and this thread can't ever get enough of them.

duckroll

Episode 4 was so boring I don't even have anything witty or sarcastic to say about it. It was just snooze. Awful pacing. Hopefully they stop wasting time and either get it on with cool action or really stupid stuff soon so there's at least some entertainment. :p

That whole 'Bullet trajectory projection Line' system is some bullshit

How does the game know where the round are going to go before the player even pulls the trigger

I'm betting this is how Kirito will be playing jedi deflecting shit and what not

Quoting this simply because of how the plot managed to debunk this somewhat viable theory because lol Kirito-sama's stats make him faster than even GGO's built-in reverse aimbot.
Half asleep while watching, so forgive me if I missed anything, but...
...wasn't Kirito just anticipating where the bot was going to shoot next based off the bot's movements (as if he was dogging a sword attack) instead of waiting for the system to show him the trajectory?

If you want to get realistic of course you can't dodge a bullet, but since it's a virtual world and you can jump off a skyscraper with a sniper rifle and survive the fall, surely the game has some wiggle room.

JulianImp

Half asleep while watching, so forgive me if I missed anything, but...
...wasn't Kirito just anticipating where the bot was going to shoot next based off the bot's movements (as if he was dogging a sword attack) instead of waiting for the system to show him the trajectory?

If you want to get realistic of course you can't dodge a bullet, but since it's a virtual world and you can jump off a skyscraper with a sniper rifle and survive the fall, surely the game has some wiggle room.

I was just saying that Kirito's godlike speed and reaction times were good enough to put the game's shot-prediction system that's supposed to assist players to shame. He's way, way too strong for the plot's own good since he absolutely invalidates any character that isn't downright cheating.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Episode 4 was so boring I don't even have anything witty or sarcastic to say about it. It was just snooze. Awful pacing. Hopefully they stop wasting time and either get it on with cool action or really stupid stuff soon so there's at least some entertainment. :p

Indeed. Its just become rather pedestrian now.

Question for anyone thats gone ahead of the anime,
Do they ever mention the hundreds of people that were trapped in ALO with their brains being experimented on?

Nikodemos

Question for anyone thats gone ahead of the anime,
Do they ever mention the hundreds of people that were trapped in ALO with their brains being experimented on?
IIRC in the last episode they mention that What'shisface the Asshole King kept the players in a sort of deep sleep state (unlike Asuna) so when they woke up they didn't remember anything. Then again I might be misremembering. I was sorta autopiloting the last parts of the ALO bit.

Anyway, I found the slightly pervy behaviour towards Kirito's avatar relatively realistic compared to what women gamers using female avatars encounter in online games.

Also, this is the most unimaginative rip-off of a Jedi knight I've ever seen.

P.S.: "Anticipate the prediction lines?!" - Anticiception!

Prologue

Well that escalated quickly. I actually read the comic spoilers
and it seems that they are going for a different villain, no? I thought i read that the villain was Sinon's friend but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Sketchbag

Banned
I'm waiting for Kirito-kun to win a match with the sword and the announcer goes all Richard Nixon and yells, "HE'S USSSSSSIINNG A SWORRRRRRRRRD" as his cheeks and jowels sway left and right and his voice reverberates.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, I hope they don't feel pain in this game because that poor chaps health bar took an age to deplete. That couldn't have been pleasant if he felt pain for that whole duration.

duckroll

Episode 5

Well, erm, at least they're getting to the action I guess. The *dramatic reveal* was hilarious though. It has shades of the stupidity the first season offered, hopefully we get more of that and less of the really boring "character building" with Sinon and Kirito talking about stuff which really doesn't matter.

Hexa

Very well done episode. The gender reveal was hilarious, with the engine hum in the background slowing to a dead silence. So perfect. Kirito being an ass to Sinon was also funny, though why he was doing it wasn't conveyed all that well. Battle scene was also cool, and like all the other episodes the artwork and animation is amazing. The Laughing Coffin stuff works much better in the anime, because the arc in Aincrad that showed off laughing coffin wasn't in the novels till a side story after GGO, so it came together much more nicely as well.

I really hope they don't gloss over the rest of the prelims like they did in the novel. They could do a lot of cool action sequences with both Sinon, Kirito, and maybe even Death Gun. It would be a filler episode, but forgivable I'd say.

Hexa

Well that escalated quickly. I actually read the comic spoilers
and it seems that they are going for a different villain, no? I thought i read that the villain was Sinon's friend but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

This spoiler is an answer to the above spoiler:
Its still following the novels. Its a bit more complicated than that though. They seem to have explicitly shown that Sinon's friend is involved since I guess that part seemed too predictable and they didn't feel it was worth hiding and are focusing on the mysterious aspects of the rest, which I thought was weird at first but at this point it seems like a good idea.

Sketchbag

Banned
Just watched it.

Holy crap
that dude screaming and dying slowly killed me

Did Sinon
really turn on Kirito because he saw her in bra and panties

DID THAT REALLY SOUND LIKE A FUCKING LIGHT SABRE?

Great. Now Kirito-kun has this dude's name. How hard would it be to tell your Japanese government contact, "Yo, this dude from some PK guild that killed people. Let's contact him."

I like my weekly head bashing way too much.

JulianImp

Episode 5

Then, we have Sinon. You see, she originally entered GGO to get over her crippling trauma, but she immediately built a split personality to counter her weak, gentle and introverted RL one: A reliable, strong-willed and battle-ready elite sniper that nearly everyone fears and looks up to. In this alternate persona, Sinon isn't even afraid of shooting guns, so her focus changed into an obsession with "becoming stronger".

This episode, when she realizes Kirito is actually male, she immediately drops the nuturing, friendly girl gig and goes back to her stereotypical strong lead female persona. The conversation around that time also lets us see that Sinon has an overbearing desire to assert her superiority over others by downright killing them (albeit only in-game), which exposes a bit more of her sadism.

Her coldness towards men and desire to be the very best could be interpreted, like I was saying earlier, as the flip side of the coin to Kirito's situation: While he can put things such as petty manliness and sexuality aside for the sake of carrying out his mission, Sinon is filled with the desire to dominate others with her skills, and then using her long weapon's high-caliber ammunition to penetrate them in one decissive stroke, all while they come to the realization they've been bested by a girl, of all things.

From here, there're many places Sinon's character could go development-wise. She could reach a nice middle ground between her generic strong female character persona in GGL and her extreme doormat condition in real life, but it's likely that the plot will take her more towards her girly personality for the sake of growing Kirito's harem. If that were the case, her character arc would actually be a perfect use for the trope of strong female characters that instantly bend over and become useless for the sake of the strong male character: while using that trope through Kirito, it'd also subvert it by having the strong lead male be an androgynous boy that's actually fine (for the most part) with relinquishing his sexuality for the sake of others.

Am I doing this right?

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 1

ibkceVzVXvJfzI.jpg

"Oh Kirito-kun, I love it when you whisper sweet exposition in my ear."

You know, it's hard to take a villain seriously when his name is "Desu Gun" and he looks and acts like a two-bit Darth Vader cosplayer.

It's like SAO only has two states, being actively offensive or aggressively tedious. Am I supposed to know who this detective dude is? New character introduction in this episode: a butt with a girl attached to it. Also, some of the worst CGI to ever appear in anime:

http://a.pomf.se/zquicv.webm

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 2

Gotta love how even though it's a game about guns, Kirito is using a sword again for some reason. Be the Gary Stu you want to see in the world.

The CGI shot from the last episode was so good, we're going to use it again.

I guess this is probably about as good as SAO can get. I mean it was still pretty dumb how seriously they were taking a PVP battle("How can he smile on the battlefield? He must be hardcore!"), but without MMO Batman there, there was at least a modicum of suspense. Other than the omnipresent male gaze, nothing too offensive in this episode...

...nothing too...

...no. No. You don't get to do this, show. You don't get to treat a callback underage molestation as a nostalgic moment.

This is what moral depravity looks like.

iEg0SpEZnZidc.jpg

I love how much negativity this show gets. Unless we're talking about the second half of season one, it makes me feel like we're watching completely different shows.

Frog-fu

Banned
Hahaha, did they seriously not only rip off the lightsaber design but also the way it sounds? I'm actually hoping Disney sues.

I always thought Kirito would be famous, or at least to MMO players, but no one ever seems to react to his name.

At least this episode finally had some action!

My guess at who Death Gun is :
Surely it's Sinon's friend?

Xamdou

I always thought Kirito would be famous, or at least to MMO players, but no one ever seems to react to his name.

At least this episode finally had some action!

My guess at who Death Gun is :
Surely it's Sinon's friend?

My thoughts:
Yea he be split screening two difference characters to throw us detective GAF off from his high horse.

Man aim assist in consoles even made it into GGO...

JulianImp

...no. No. You don't get to do this, show. You don't get to treat a callback underage molestation as a nostalgic moment.

This is what moral depravity looks like.

iEg0SpEZnZidc.jpg

Turning the "Silica almost raped by tentacled plant monster" situation into a running gag is one of the things that embodies SAO (alongside Kirigod and his harem of useless supporting characters). That emo Space Dandy screencap fits things perfectly, I'd say.

Even with an undefeatable protagonist, I feel like episodes could be a lot more interesting since, personally, I feel No Game No Life has proved you can do okay even with Stu-tier protagonists; meanwhile, SAO makes neither the journey nor the destination fun simply because of how much things focus on Kirito all the time and how every single situation they come up against is geared towards his specialty: fighting (yeah, I know he can bluff to disarm a global-scale war as well...). To me, he's like some kind of Haruhi Suzumiya with how he somehow makes everything gravitate around him, only the plot is so hellbent on making Kirito look good that everything else is minimized to the point of being non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom