• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 4

iLssC72ahCelu.jpg

Oh man, those blatantly ripped-from-Star-Wars sound effects. I hope Disney sues the crap out of them.

So get this, Gun Gale Online has this minigame that NO ONE HAS EVER BEATEN BEFORE. I'm sure you all know where this is going. Kirito has magical dodge abilities and can use the light saber that no one else can, because he's just that good. Also, he's girl now too. Is there anything he can't do?

JulianImp

Is there anything he can't do?

The "be a girl part", for starters.

EDIT: It's kind of crazy how people were supposedly still entering the mini-game and failing in the time where agility builds were the best metagame choice, and they kept going at it even after agility was nerfed. You'd expect the room to be deserted, since it was the only mini-game in there.

Hypron

Even with an undefeatable protagonist, I feel like episodes could be a lot more interesting since, personally, I feel No Game No Life has proved you can do okay even with Stu-tier protagonists; meanwhile, SAO makes neither the journey nor the destination fun simply because of how much things focus on Kirito all the time and how every single situation they come up against is geared towards his specialty: fighting (yeah, I know he can bluff to disarm a global-scale war as well...). To me, he's like some kind of Haruhi Suzumiya with how he somehow makes everything gravitate around him, only the plot is so hellbent on making Kirito look good that everything else is minimized to the point of being non-existent.

Another example of a series with a god-tier main character that still manages to be interesting and funny is OnePunch Man. The main character in that is beyond OP, but it's great.

JulianImp

Another example of a series with a god-tier main character that still manages to be interesting and funny is OnePunch Man. The main character in that is beyond OP, but it's great.

I've heard about that, but I was name-dropping NGNL since it's not a downright parody of unbeatable protagonist series. There, you knew Kouhaku would always win through some crazy gambit that often seemed like an ass-pull, but the whole orderal is made interesting because of the things that happen in the meantime (and don't forget the gorgeous colors).

All this thinking is making me wonder what'd happen to SAO if we'd cut all shots where Kirito was shown, as well as other characters calling out his name... you know, like those Garfield comics where Garfield himself and his lines were edited out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Episode 5

Then, we have Sinon. You see, she originally entered GGO to get over her crippling trauma, but she immediately built a split personality to counter her weak, gentle and introverted RL one: A reliable, strong-willed and battle-ready elite sniper that nearly everyone fears and looks up to. In this alternate persona, Sinon isn't even afraid of shooting guns, so her focus changed into an obsession with "becoming stronger".

This episode, when she realizes Kirito is actually male, she immediately drops the nuturing, friendly girl gig and goes back to her stereotypical strong lead female persona. The conversation around that time also lets us see that Sinon has an overbearing desire to assert her superiority over others by downright killing them (albeit only in-game), which exposes a bit more of her sadism.

Her coldness towards men and desire to be the very best could be interpreted, like I was saying earlier, as the flip side of the coin to Kirito's situation: While he can put things such as petty manliness and sexuality aside for the sake of carrying out his mission, Sinon is filled with the desire to dominate others with her skills, and then using her long weapon's high-caliber ammunition to penetrate them in one decissive stroke, all while they come to the realization they've been bested by a girl, of all things.

From here, there're many places Sinon's character could go development-wise. She could reach a nice middle ground between her generic strong female character persona in GGL and her extreme doormat condition in real life, but it's likely that the plot will take her more towards her girly personality for the sake of growing Kirito's harem. If that were the case, her character arc would actually be a perfect use for the trope of strong female characters that instantly bend over and become useless for the sake of the strong male character: while using that trope through Kirito, it'd also subvert it by having the strong lead male be an androgynous boy that's actually fine (for the most part) with relinquishing his sexuality for the sake of others.

Am I doing this right?

SAO II 5

6FwDhvil.jpg

Kirito is unfortunately unable to resist the social pressures to identify with her assigned gender and is forced to identify as male on her official ID. This is clearly an allegory for the many struggles that trans people have around the world, as their rights are infringed upon by societies that cannot understand that gender and sex are not necessarily synonymous. Sadly, Kirito acquiesces to the powers that be, but we can only hope that she is able to truly express herself later on.

Really, this episode was so boooooring. Even the reveal at the end was tedious.

Alfebit

Banned
I've heard about that, but I was name-dropping NGNL since it's not a downright parody of unbeatable protagonist series. There, you knew Kouhaku would always win through some crazy gambit that often seemed like an ass-pull, but the whole orderal is made interesting because of the things that happen in the meantime (and don't forget the gorgeous colors).

All this thinking is making me wonder what'd happen to SAO if we'd cut all shots where Kirito was shown, as well as other characters calling out his name... you know, like those Garfield comics where Garfield himself and his lines were edited out.

Ah yes, Garfield without Garfield. I would love to see something like that done with SAO.

JulianImp

Ah yes, Garfield without Garfield. I would love to see something like that done with SAO.

I'd be willing to try it out eventually, but I guess it'd be impossible to upload without infringing copyrights and whatnot, right? It feels like the show is actually at its best when Kirito isn't around, or at the very least when he isn't the focus of attention.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 5

Kirito has spider sense now, because screw you.

Remember those weird cult-of-death people from the first half of SAO? Of course you don't, because they were incredibly unimportant, but don't worry, the show will give you an extensive flashback sequence for them! If you play really dramatic music it means the scene is really dramatic!

And naturally, as soon as Sinon learns Kirito is male, she instantly morphs from being a female character with agency to a cliched tsundere.

Sword Art Online II - 4

So get this, Gun Gale Online has this minigame that NO ONE HAS EVER BEATEN BEFORE. I'm sure you all know where this is going. Kirito has magical dodge abilities and can use the light saber that no one else can, because he's just that good. Also, he's girl now too. Is there anything he can't do?
People can use the light saber it's just they don't choose to use it.

JulianImp

People can use the light saber it's just they don't choose to use it.

No one uses lightsabers not because they don't like them, but because you'd have to have ridiculous levels of agility as well as impossible reaction times to be able to reliably outpredict prediction lines. Cue Kirigod and his ridiculously broken agility and reflexes basically breaking the game balance in half. It even looks like their damage output is pitiful, since it took several seconds to drain all of an average player's HP bar with a direct stab to his stomach.

Also, Death Gun somehow keeping his Laughing Coffin tattoo on a newly created character for a brand new MMO seems kind of stupid... even if the player was given the chance to do so, why the heck would they willingly keep it when it'd be a huge clue towards their real identity?

Kiri-stu failing to register his RL data this episode makes me think it might be foreshadowing for something Desu Gun laters needs for his nefarious RL-killing spree... or something. Then again, it might end up like Klein's ultra-rare revival crystal, which was an obvious plot item that ended up being used offscreen and was never mentioned after Kirito gave it to him.

JulianImp

Why do people continue playing claw games at Walmart where the freaking claw doesn't even close?

...Point taken.

I guess I should've known better, since I loved collecting tickets from those mechanic mini-game arcade machines and exchanging hundreds of them for somewhat cool prizes. I think the reason I never played too many arcade videogames was because I was spending most of my game money on ticket-hoarding...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll give a special prize to whoever can name five characters from that flashback without looking up names.

Nikodemos

No one uses lightsabers not because they don't like them, but because you'd have to have ridiculous levels of agility as well as impossible reaction times to be able to reliably outpredict prediction lines.
Maybe you just have to grind the shit out of low-level monsters (monsters do exist, since Sinon is shown capping one) and noob players with crappy weapons. Something most people simply aren't likely to do.

It even looks like their damage output is pitiful, since it took several seconds to drain all of an average player's HP bar with a direct stab to his stomach.
Probably because, as an energy weapon, the lightsa.. eherm, laserblade's power is diminished by shielding. I wonder if Kirito-chan will find some sort of ultra-rare ligh.. err, blade with the Shield Piercing attribute. If not, well, at least the li.., oops, nearly slipped there, laserblade stunlocks its target.

Also, Death Gun somehow keeping his Laughing Coffin tattoo on a newly created character for a brand new MMO seems kind of stupid... even if the player was given the chance to do so, why the heck would they willingly keep it when it'd be a huge clue towards their real identity?
Seems like he kept it relatively hidden and Kirito happened merely to catch a glimpse of it. Also, I'm not sure many SAO players would wish to go back to VRMMOs. There's the real possibility of PTSD. Thus I don't think there would be that many who knew what the tattoo stood for, even if they spotted it.

Onan The Fairy King
I must admit, I lol'd.

One glaring error I've spotted was the quickdraw minigame not reseeding the pot. With the initial prize sitting at zero credits, who's gonna try going for it? At best, they'd get their money back. The new counter should've read at least 25,000 credits (given that a try is 500 credits that seems like a fair seed).

LOL Of course he's a member of that death guild that was in a whopping 1 episode from S1 why wouldn't he be? God this show is so dumb

Wait why would anybody need to enter their real name and address for an ingame tournament, wouldn't that info already be on their account?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Surely if you are going to make a StarWars joke you'd based it off episode one. I mean I don't know much about Star Wars, but I know that's the one with the very similar title.

Archpath1

Man that sword drain took forever , can't he like shoot the enemy with his pistol while impaling them to speed things up ?

Ep. 3-4

It took them THIS LONG to get Kirito into GGO. Sinon's backstory is both boring and bad, so can we get to the part where Kirito is OP and does anything he wants? Oh cool, we got there finally. Took their goddamn time.

Also, in GGO it's spelled "PAIED". I guess that's how you know you PAID with virtual currency instead of real money.

duckroll

oh god. You mean they're going to go into another game for the second half? I don't think I would even be able to continue watching this show for laughs if that happens.

They're just going back to ALO I think. The next actual game probably won't be this season because it's a really, really long arc which hasn't even ended in the novels yet. Whenever they do that arc, it'll probably be a 50 episode series or something.

TUSR

Banned
They're just going back to ALO I think. The next actual game probably won't be this season because it's a really, really long arc which hasn't even ended in the novels yet. Whenever they do that arc, it'll probably be a 50 episode series or something.

They should just all go back to SAO because of some super top secret government related thing. And it wouldn't be bad if a few people's brains got microwaved.

Maddocks

I also think the reason no one uses a lightsaber is because of how expensive it was. After he got it he could only afford a five-seven and ammo, and maybe a battle suit. But after 3 things he went broke.

I also think the reason no one uses a lightsaber is because of how expensive it was. After he got it he could only afford a five-seven and ammo, and maybe a battle suit. But after 3 things he went broke.

No one uses a lightsaber because its an fps game where everyone has aim assist and generally high agility isn't useful as the amount you would need to have to be able to use a light saber effectively isn't really viable... Unless your kirigod

LOL Of course he's a member of that death guild that was in a whopping 1 episode from S1 why wouldn't he be? God this show is so dumb

This one plot point is what angered you enough to comment?

Say what you will about the story, but the Death Guild in season 1 was actually something I wanted to know more about.
Him being a part of that guild makes it a tad more interesting... more than him just being what everyone believes his identity to be.

Agility is one thing, but you are forgetting God like sword skills.

Can't level your sword skills in a gun game the same way you would in a fantasy game, especially if the penalty of getting killed in that gun game is only game over.

I'd like to be delusional in thinking SAO survivors who continue to play VRMMORGs are high level or above (sword skills, accuracy, cooking).

TalonJH

I have a feeling that this is going to be a really short run in this world and only cover the tournament. They seem to have a very clear objective and are moving really quickly. I really liked the first season because they were there for so long (years?).

It's still a fun show IMO.

This one plot point is what angered you enough to comment?

Say what you will about the story, but the Death Guild in season 1 was actually something I wanted to know more about.
Him being a part of that guild makes it a tad more interesting... more than him just being what everyone believes his identity to be..

There were a lot of stupid points in that episode, that is the one I commented on because

1) the series spent quiet a bit of time on it at the end of the episode

2) it was the first time our hero met the villain

3) they built up this "I know him" to be some big reveal, then had it be something incredibly minor from s1, not any one actual s1 character but 1 dude from a group that appeared in 2 episodes

4) said guild is tied to two of the stupidest moments from s1 (asuna's body guard trying to kill kirito and the "murder" mystery)

5) the fact he was an sao survivor and a member of the death guild mean nothing and add nothing to the story

Maddocks

No one uses a lightsaber because its an fps game where everyone has aim assist and generally high agility isn't useful as the amount you would need to have to be able to use a light saber effectively isn't really viable... Unless your kirigod

But didn't they say in the first episode that agility was nerfed after a patch? so people who farmed it pretty much wasted their time? is his agility just that high that the nerf doesn't effect him or is he just that fast that it doesn't come into effect?

Just seems weird that in a gun game they would even offer a light saber. Maybe I'm just not understanding the world they built, she says you want a handgun that is more actuate then powerful, but the five-seven(ammo) was made to fire though body armor, that is pretty damn powerful, it will pretty much do the same damage as a .45 round. So what da hell!

I'm probably over thinking it.

4) said guild is tied to two of the stupidest moments from s1 (asuna's body guard trying to kill kirito and the "murder" mystery)
He could also be one of the Player Killers from Silicas episode, it was before they even introduced Laughing Coffin and the players were never killed (as far as we know) so it wouldn't be inconceivable that one or all of them joined Laughing Coffin later on.

He could also be one of the Player Killers from Silicas episode, it was before they even introduced Laughing Coffin and the players were never killed (as far as we know) so it wouldn't be inconceivable that one or all of them joined Laughing Coffin later on.

Lets just say for the sake of discussion that is true or what the author intended... So what? What does it change? The laughing coffin guild still largely a non factor in season 1 and what impact does it have? None

In the Sillica episode if that was Laughing Coffin as you suggest Kirito proceeds to make them look like a bunch of jobbers who can't even damage him. In the murder mystery episode they show up, act intimidating before being stomped and chased off by Asuna and Kirito. Finally we have Asuna's body guard try to kill Kirito because of his jealousy, the fact he's also a member of laughing coffin really doesn't change the scene at all especially not for Kirito. Had he gone on a rampage and killed all the members of laughing coffin that's be one thing, but Laughing Coffin after that episode is never mentioned again until this episode.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I know this is the thread for season 2, but I just finished season 1 and... wtf. Such a great premise was wasted. Does S2 continue the downward spiral into terribleness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom