• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure |OT| Under a Mean Overseer Memorandum Directive

AkuMifune

Banned
Dear Mutant League,

The moment that you all have been patiently waiting for, has finally arrived! Tex is indeed back!

In this message you will find your steampowered.com -Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure- download code.

So awesome.

Still says unreleased on Steam and won't let me download yet, but damn. Can't wait.

fade_

Been waiting for this for so long. for the relatively small amount of cash they got on kickstarter this looks fantastic!

So I managed to play through the demo tonight from start to finish. Yeah, the 3D environments feel like a rather vanilla Unity3D game, there's really nothing much to them. Models are basic, there isn't much in the way of shader effects, and the game looks like it came from about 2006. Textures are alright though, and there is a certain charm to the game, I will give it that. But at the same time, there's nothing really incompetent about the engine, it does what it needs to do and nothing more.

I don't have a super high resolution monitor, just 1080p, but I was playing the game at 2560x1440 downsampled, and I do notice that the video does look much cleaner than anything at 1080p. It's honestly nice to see a game that doesn't use those horrible Bink video codec packs. The video quality in this game just looks phenomenal, this is how to do FMV right.

As for the game, the puzzles remind me of old Resident Evil games, not too hard but good enough to keep me invested in the game. Some of the actors in the cut scenes are a little iffy, but nothing bad. Overall, there is a B-movie nature to the game, but I find that to be a good thing. The writing is very sharp though and Tom Servo seems to be your sidekick.

The Navigation is OK, simple right click circular menu, here's not really much too it. And it's nice to be able to save anywhere.

Overall I rather enjoyed the demo, it does have a certain charm to it and it is kind of a trip to play a modern FMV adventure game in 2014. I actually want to go back and play the old games now.

Omg I was wondering where Kevin Murphy was in the game!!! :) Am so excited!!!!!

Hmm I didn't get an email either.

Me neither. I'm wondering if the fact that I'm a late backer has something to do with it. Oh well, if the code is in my inbox when I wake up in the morning I'll be happy. I just want to be able to start the long ass download before leaving for work.

Me neither. I'm wondering if the fact that I'm a late backer has something to do with it. Oh well, if the code is in my inbox when I wake up in the morning I'll be happy. I just want to be able to start the long ass download before leaving for work.

I backed at the start of the KS and have nothing to show for it.

As I am moving to a place with no new internet in 2 days (and will have some time on my hands after quitting my job), I need to start this download ASAP!

Card Boy

Banned
Been waiting for this for so long. for the relatively small amount of cash they got on kickstarter this looks fantastic!

They also contributed cash from their own pocket and they got some paypal donations. So all up it may be about a million budget after fees and kickstarter rewards.

Omg I was wondering where Kevin Murphy was in the game!!! :) Am so excited!!!!!

I'm assuming that he's suppose to be the voice of Tex's PDA (or maybe the voice in his head?), but he's there to drop snide comments down from time to time, and talks a lot in the inventory menu. It's a nice touch though.

Is there a way to check how many hours are left until a game is unlocked for download on Steam?

edit: Yep, on the Steam store it says 5 hours.

bj00rn_

Banned
It's very strange to me that there isn't even a preload option. With over 5 hours of 2K video I suppose it's going to be a pretty hefty download.

I've sadly never played a Tex Murphy FMV adventure game, but the novelty of one being released in 2014 is really selling me on this. Looking forward to impressions!

It's very strange to me that there isn't even a preload option. With all of that high res video I suppose it's going to be a pretty hefty download.

Perhaps devs are charged an extra fee for that option? If that's the case I'm not surprised it's not available considering the small size of Big Finish Games.

bj00rn_

Banned
Perhaps devs are charged an extra fee for that option? If that's the case I'm not surprised it's not available considering the small size of Big Finish Games.

Maybe it's like that. OR.. Perhaps BFG just neededed every second they could get to polish before release :)

inm8num2

sueil

Just preordered off GOG. Is it releasing on there at the same time as Steam? I always wanted to play a Tex Murphy game but the dated controls of the old ones really threw me off.

epmode

Got my key! The emergency is canceled.

New emergency: Do I play Danganronpa (almost at the end), Kentucky Route Zero Act 3 or Tex?

Downloading from Steam now...

Obligatory:

itshappening.gif

Tain

idk if I want to jump into this or play Under a Killing Moon first

ack and I was gonna play the god danged ronpa.

epmode

I have a confession, GAF. While I played and loved UAKM and Pandora Directive, I haven't played more than a few minutes of Overseer. Maybe I'll just look up the ending so I know what's going on with Tesla Effect.

idk if I want to jump into this or play Under a Killing Moon first

ack and I was gonna play the god danged ronpa.

I dunno if this will help you but Danganronpa is REALLY LONG. ~20+ hours? I suppose the The Tex Murphy games aren't short either.

vocab

I have a confession, GAF. While I played and loved UAKM and Pandora Directive, I haven't played more than a few minutes of Overseer. Maybe I'll just look up the ending so I know what's going on with Tesla Effect.

I dunno if this will help you but Danganronpa is REALLY LONG. ~20+ hours? I suppose the The Tex Murphy games aren't short either.
I haven't played overseer either. I'm just going in without it.

Top Bottom