• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure |OT| Under a Mean Overseer Memorandum Directive

sueil

Kinda sad about GOG not having it up for download yet. Going to take forever to download once they do finally put it up so the delay really hurts.

I don't even know how to feel right now, can't believe the day is finally here. Glad I was able to make this happen in at least some small way (OK, it wasn't that small, I'm supposed to be in the damn thing somewhere), hope I can play the game eventually. Stupid life!

May this be a big enough success that we get more!

EDIT: They just pushed a KS update, keys are going out now and should be done within an hour. Here are some early reviews:

http://www.heypoorplayer.com/2014/05/tesla-effect-review/

http://www.examiner.com/review/tex-murphy-returns-tesla-effect

http://www.nuclearfridge.com/2014/05/review-tesla-effect-tex-murphy-adventure.html

http://www.fz.se/artiklar/recension/20140507/tesla-effect-a-tex-murphy-adventure

http://n4g.com/news/1504190/a-case-...tex-murphy-adventure-review-i-hey-poor-player

MikahR

Banned
I got overseer a while back. Do I need to play it to understand what is going on in Telsa Effect?

I think if you know the characters and are familiar with the general lore, you should be fine. There are YouTube videos that show the ending of Overseer if you are curious about how that one ends.

tmarques

I think if you know the characters and are familiar with the general lore, you should be fine. There are YouTube videos that show the ending of Overseer if you are curious about how that one ends.

Except it ends in a huge cliffhanger. Is it even broguth up in the new game? Doesn't look good since Chelsea Blando is MIA.

Vlodril

Just started it up and fooled around a bit. Very impressed with the quality of the video. Nice ui too. I am giddy so weird :p

Going to eat and then back to put some time in it.

Just started it up and fooled around a bit. Very impressed with the quality of the video. Nice ui too. I am giddy so weird :p

Going to eat and then back to put some time in it.

I'm anxious to find out if you can play the game with an Xbox controller. Can you confirm?

inm8num2

Follow up from Big Finish games.

Delivery of the download keys is complete at this time.

These are STEAM keys
The download is DRM FREE (this is an option to us—it’s literally a checkbox)
You can download the game, pull it to your desktop and never look at Steam again if that is your choice.

There is no plan I am aware of to send an additional set of GOG keys.

IF you haven’t received you key, don’t panic.
It could be a delay in the servers, but more likely its:
A) The Code went to the email you backed the project with, not the one you expected to be used
B) Caught in your spam filter. There is content (strange characters and a link) in the email that can trigger some filters. Please check.

bender

What time is it?
Bummer. Wish we could pick GoG instead of Steam as our reward. It would be nice to have the all the games on one service.

edit: If anyone is going to pre-order on Steam, I'd be happy to trade my key for a GoG gift of the same game.

inm8num2

http://www.heypoorplayer.com/2014/05/tesla-effect-review/

In closing, Tex Murphy’s return has been long overdue, but the wait was most certainly worth it. Big Finish games have struck gold with this deep and engaging sixth chapter of the Tex Murphy saga. Tesla Effect is a resounding success in almost every conceivable regard. Embracing both the slapstick antics the series is known for while simultaneously offering an engrossing story full of clever plot devices and consistently hilarious and witty writing, you’ll be hard pressed to pry yourself from your keyboard from the moment you begin the game until the final curtain call. Add to that the numerous and challenging puzzles littered throughout Tesla Effect and you’ve got the recipe for a caper no adventure gaming fan worth his salt should miss. While a few technical hiccups may scuff the surface of this exceptional adventure, they do very little to take away from this obvious labor of love and stands as this year’s adventure game to beat.

http://www.examiner.com/review/tex-murphy-returns-tesla-effect

Fans of Tex Murphy, or classic point-and-click adventure games in general, won't want to miss Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure, which is now available on Steam for $19.99. We wouldn't call it a perfect game, but possibly one of the most charming little experiences we've had for a while. It may not usher in a new era of full motion video games, but we do hope it will keep the series alive for another installment.

Pros:
+ Pure point-and-click nostalgia
+ A fun cast of colorful characters
+ Mostly satisfying puzzles

Cons:
- Scavenger puzzles slow pacing way down
- A couple of weird glitches
- Certain items are incredibly tough to spot

http://www.nuclearfridge.com/2014/05/review-tesla-effect-tex-murphy-adventure.html

Playing Tesla Effect feels like jumping into a time machine. The game looks and feels like the Tex Murphy adventures fans know and love, with that fresh coat of paint thanks to the 2K resolution during the full-motion video sequences. The quirks in the production and acting, while noticeable, manage to be charming, and the game as a whole is incredibly intriguing. The astonishing amount of video and dialogue produced for the game also gives it plenty of longevity, and the branching paths and multiple endings ensure that this one will probably be on your hard drive for quite a while. It deserves its place there, as well: Tesla Effect is a fine adventure game, and hopefully we won’t have to wait so long to see Tex again.

sueil

3 hours later and GOG still hasn't made it available for download. Only the fact that I am about to fire up my grill for the first time since last fall is keeping my spirits up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If there was ever a game that should be enjoyed on the comfy couch, it's this one.

And, guess what? That's right, no controller support!

Yay!

jb1234

I'm trying to download it but Steam has been behaving weirdly for me for a couple of days now. Switching between games to download very quickly, disconnecting and reconnecting the download. It's barely moving and it's a BIG game. :(

fvng

Got my steam code from the kickstarter this morning. Really excited to play it, bummed at the lack of gamepad support but it's okay

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If there was ever a game that should be enjoyed on the comfy couch, it's this one.

And, guess what? That's right, no controller support!

Yay!

Nothing screams comfy couch gaming like an old school point and click adventure... oh...

inm8num2

Nothing screams comfy couch gaming like an old school point and click adventure... oh...

But you know, it would be pretty sweet to sit back on a couch with a wireless keyboard/mouse, put the feet up, and play an old-school adventure game on a large screen. :)

Eusis

Admittedly with the exploration style it probably would've worked just fine with this. I was surprised to find out Broken Age supported the 360 controller and that looks less like the kind of game that you'd go "yes, I want to play this with a controller!"

epmode

So even though I still have to finish Danganronpa, I couldn't resist playing the first 20 minutes. The FMV looks good! A lot better than I'd expect for such a low budget. And I LOVE being able to play a Tex Murphy game with sensible FPS controls. And and and the opening room has more LOOK objects than the entirety of Broken Age. Moar Tex games pls.

(I agree with the calls for pad support. Nothing in the design precludes it and it would be great to see in a patch. Key remapping as well)

AkuMifune

Banned

SMALL___Blasphemy___Shelly.jpg

I kinda want controller support too.

Vlodril

Gotten an hour or two in. Just run around in the starting day (and i am stuck already :p).

Game not only looks good it plays good too. Very smooth.

sueil

Remind me to never buy anything from GOG again. Started my download and went and ran errands only to come home and find out GOG fucked up the release even more and the installer was missing files.

EmSeta

(Day 2/3 spoilers)

I can't find the ninth baseball card. I shouldn't leave the beach house before collecting them all, should I? Which card could I be missing?

MBison

I assume 2K is 2048×1080? It looks plenty sharp to me but I'm running a little over that at 2560x1600.

Marketing and QA. I'm not sure if they're helping with distribution of the physical rewards.

Well how does 2560x1600 look? That's what monitor I'm getting :)

megalowho

Ugh, want to play so badly but stuck in hotels for work trips until next week. Very pleased to read positive reviews from folks who seem to get it. Want to savor this one in a comfortable environment for sure.. but maybe a 15 GB download on hotel internet won't be as bad as I think..

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they had me at "Pure point-and-click nostalgia"

always wanted to try one of the Tex Murphys, but forgot about them every single time between the LucasGames and the Sierras. i'll get this one

Bummer. Wish we could pick GoG instead of Steam as our reward. It would be nice to have the all the games on one service.

edit: If anyone is going to pre-order on Steam, I'd be happy to trade my key for a GoG gift of the same game.

Well there has to be something drm-free, despite what that guy says, chris was emailing backers in 2012 guaranteeing them a specifically non-steam, drmfree method, and if they can't host on their own site due to the bandwidth, GOG is pretty much the only option.
If he's reneged on that I'll be asking for my $110 back, but I suspect(hope?) it's just miscommunication within big finish.

they had me at "Pure point-and-click nostalgia"

always wanted to try one of the Tex Murphys, but forgot about them every single time between the LucasGames and the Sierras. i'll get this one

Catch up on the story, and start with this one. They're all great games, but this one is going to be WAY more accessible to many people.

epmode

Well there has to be something drm-free, despite what that guy says, chris was emailing backers in 2012 guaranteeing them a specifically non-steam, drmfree method, and if they can't host on their own site due to the bandwidth, GOG is pretty much the only option.
If he's reneged on that I'll be asking for my $110 back, but I suspect(hope?) it's just miscommunication within big finish.

Well, the game launches even when Steam is closed so it's definitely DRM free.

inm8num2

If you have a chance read through that thread I linked earlier (same link).

I have to say that the responses by Steve @ BFG are rather ill-advised and dismissive. Then a few other backers are flaming those requesting GOG keys, arguments about whether Steam is DRM or not are raging, etc. BFG hasn't handled it well at all, and they should have foreseen this issue as well as planned ahead by doing something like backer surveys that other projects have done.

Well, the game launches even when Steam is closed so it's definitely DRM free.

Not steam free though. :)

They specifically guaranteed a non-steam version that was also drmfree back in 2012. I'd prefer that to be gog myself, but they didn't guarantee that so I won't be heartbroken if it's not - just seems the most logical way since they don't want to host it themselves.

If you have a chance read through that thread I linked earlier (same link).

I have to say that the responses by Steve @ BFG are rather ill-advised and dismissive. Then a few other backers are flaming those requesting GOG keys, arguments about whether Steam is DRM or not are raging, etc. BFG hasn't handled it well at all, and they should have foreseen this issue as well as planned ahead by doing something like backer surveys that other projects have done.

Yup

I have the distinct feeling this is the same guy who made people believe it wasn't going to be drm freee back in 2012, which led to a mini meltdown on their KS page before chris stepped in to assuage fears. I'll wait a couple of days before he makes a statement himself before I start asking for a refund.

epmode

Not steam free though. :)

Both sites are awesome :(

They really should have GOG keys for those that want them, though. It's not like GOG charges for keys or has a limit.

I assume that BFG just didn't realize that "Steam-free" trumps "DRM free" for some, and now they're concerned about people getting more keys than they purchased. It's a strange oversight after running such a great fundraising campaign.

I'm not a steam expert, but surely they can just check to see if people who are asking for gog keys have used their steam key.

I mean I doubt the number of people who want the GOG version is that high. We're just vocal is all. :D

inm8num2

Both sites are awesome :(

They really should have GOG keys for those that want them, though. It's not like GOG charges for keys or has a limit.

I assume that BFG just didn't realize that "Steam-free" trumps "DRM free" for some, and now they're concerned about people getting more keys than they purchased. It's a strange oversight after running such a great fundraising campaign.

As far as I know GOG actually does charge for keys (I've seen this pop up various times before on their forums).

Basically, during the kickstarter BFG talked about online activations, Steam, etc. People got upset. BFG promised the game to be DRM-free to all backers ("DRM, DLC, and DDT free"). People took DRM-free to mean a Steam alternative, rather than DRM-free within or after installing Steam.

It's poor communication and execution on behalf of BFG/Atlus.

astonish

Ugh, want to play so badly but stuck in hotels for work trips until next week. Very pleased to read positive reviews from folks who seem to get it. Want to savor this one in a comfortable environment for sure.. but maybe a 15 GB download on hotel internet won't be as bad as I think..

Similar boat here. I'm home, its downloaded, but I have so few hours free over the next week I'm tempted to just sit on it until I can play in a concentrated dose in a week.

Top Bottom