• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hollywood Reporter's Oscar Race Post-Toronto Film Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

I'm going to actually make an effort to watch a lot of these films for a change. I usually get caught up in the big blockbusters and miss the real quality performances of a given year.

Ridley327

I'm sure Amy Adams will get nominated, but winning will be tough with all the buzz that Emma Stone and Natalie Portman are already getting, and Viola Davis also being nominated multiple times without a win herself. The Academy loves her to pieces, but there's always someone else that manages to get more buzz than her every time she's up.

Peru

adams has never been better than solid. not like she has ever been robbed.

I think she has done several Oscar-worthy performances and is almost never less than stellar, but she has been unfortunate in choosing promising projects that turn out not to be great movies. The movies have been the problem.

But there are exceptions where everything works. Outside of the ones that will get mentioned I'll pick a less obvious one that illustrates another Oscar problem: Enchanted. Comedies never get nods, and performances in comedies / family movies never get a nod. But this was an Oscar-worthy performance.

Not that I disagree, but I think winning Best Director is much better recognition as a Director than having your film be recognized as best film.

For the moment, sure. But for posterity sake I believe more people remember the Best Picture prize and in both cases the movies Lee directed were robbed IMO.

For the moment, sure. But for posterity sake I believe more people remember the Best Picture prize and in both cases the movies Lee directed were robbed IMO.

I think you're putting too much stock in the actual winning of the Best Picture. Annie Hall beat Star Wars for best picture, but what film do people remember?

Ridley327

I think you're putting too much stock in the actual winning of the Best Picture. Annie Hall beat Star Wars for best picture, but what film do people remember?

Well, both of them, but I don't think it's a bad point to bring it up for Brokeback Mountain, given how Crash winning became a bad punchline for the Academy that they've arguably never been able to live down.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Your average person today has never heard of Annie Hall, yet alone watched it.

There are many reasonable criticisms that can be leveled against the Oscars, but them not giving a shit about the "average person" who has not heard of Annie Hall is not one of them.

And I think you are vastly underestimating the cultural impact of Annie Hall.

Window

Your average person today has never heard of Annie Hall, yet alone watched it.

There are other people who exist outside of the 'average person'.

Anyway I think the point is that winning a best picture Oscar does little to raise the profile of a film long term. Mainstream pop culture recognition is won outside of these awards.

Not saying that winning Best Picture is make or break for any movie to be considered a classic or something and yes there are movies that didn't win that are more fondly remembered than the ones that actually won. However, winning that category is amongst the highest honors possible for a filmmaker and to win it is better than to be forever in that "should have won" bubble.

of all movies to discredit Best Picture...you chose Annie Hall

Like top 10 best film to win BP, iconic Woody Allen movie, Annie Hall

Anyway I think the point is that winning a best picture Oscar does little to raise the profile of a film long term. Mainstream pop culture recognition is won outside of these awards.

This

Not saying that winning Best Picture is make or break for any movie to be considered a classic or something and yes there are movies that didn't win that are more fondly remembered than the ones that actually won. However, winning that category is amongst the highest honors possible for a filmmaker and to win it is better than to be forever in that "should have won" bubble.

I mean I get it, but there are a lot of other factors that go into the selection process beyond the actual merits of the film. Do the Right Thing wasn't even nominated for Best Picture of that year, despite most critics not only believing it was the best pictures of that year, but one of the best of the 80's period. And that's not even going into Saving Private Ryan getting shafted for Shakespeare In Love.

of all movies to discredit Best Picture...you chose Annie Hall

Like top 10 best film to win BP, iconic Woody Allen movie, Annie Hall

I wasn't trying to discredit Annie Hall. Just that Star Wars had much greater cultural impact regardless of not winning Best Picture.

So it looks like the Hollywood Reporter may've been right with their predictions of Fences now that we've seen the trailer. Now that we know Martin Scorsese's film is indeed coming out this fall, they're probably going to be right about that one too.

Caturro

It would be amazing if Pablo Larrain manages to be nominated as best director for Jackie and if Neruda is nominated for best foreign film. He's still very young and has a long road ahead of him but he has accomplished quite a bit thus far.

FTF

If Portman in Jackie is actually better than (or just as good as) she was in Black Swan, she's getting another Oscar.

Also after thinking about some of the replies to my Annie Hall example, allow me to apologize for being stupid and using a poor example. I knew I should've went with the Shakespeare in Love/Saving Private Ryan example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom