• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us multiplayer is censored in PAL [Up: Confirmed, all PAL region]

Ateron

They should patch this asap. It's not my fault that some other country has stupid laws. Why should it be censored everywhere just cause of one country? As far as I know, no such restrictions are in place where I'm from.

And ND didn't even said a word about this. They should have told us earlier and I would have imported.

It's not just about the gore for the sake of it, it's about principle. They never told us that the product would be censored, and I payed for a "full" product, not a gimped one.

Coconut

Banned
So would not reading a single post in the thread, "not getting it", and just asking a pointless question make the thread discussion any better?

Honestly I guess I don't get it. The differences are nearly unnoticeable to me based on the gifs people posted. To me this seems to be a none issue. Sorry for posting a question on a Internet discussion forum.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
The best thing you can do, as many others did, is sell your germanized european copy and buy the US version (you can buy it digital version too), the servers are global you will play with european people. I refuse to give my money to any form of censorship.
Try to find explanation from any SCEE responsible or Naughty Dog worker is useless nobody said a thing, deal with it, then f*ck them.

Unfortunately, I bought the digital version of the game from UK PS Store. I was thinking about buying the US version of the game, because it was a little cheaper, but I decided to stick with EU version, because my main PSN account is the UK one. BUT I would have bought the US version, if I knew the EU multiplayer was censored, but there wasn't ANY notice about that, because that would hurt the sales, and we don't want that...it's better to lie to your paying customers, yes? That makes me sad / angry :(

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Honestly I guess I don't get it. The differences are nearly unnoticeable to me based on the gifs people posted. To me this seems to be a none issue. Sorry for posting a question on a Internet discussion forum.
You make no effort to "get it" though. You asked that question in a thread that already had 200 posts discussing this.

Don't act like your question was in good faith and you just want to learn. If you wanted to learn you'd read the thread.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
We need to stop this censorship HERE and NOW! Today The Last of Us & GOW: Ascension, tomorrow GTA V & MGS V (imagine that horror). If we make a stand here, they will think twice about doing the same thing in the future, or they will at least tell us about it, put a notice on the game or something. Lying to your customers (or bending the truth) is NEVER a good thing, especially if they find out about it.

GOW Ascension censored: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=27757

Just thinking about it I feel...

Disappointment.jpg

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
So would more blood and dismemberment make the multiplayer better is my question?

To answer your question...yes. Why? Because it looses it's realism, and immersiveness, and we cannot enjoy the vision developers had imagined in it's entirety. Without the realistic dismemberment, and with this unnecessary censorship, the multiplayer looks cluncky and "plastic".

Insano Jaco

Neo Member
I moved to Australia but I bought the game in US PSN, and the game is censored, maybe is something related with IP.

Its too late for everyone that feel cheated by ND and Sony to go put some ZEROs in Metacritic?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People are talking about "where you bought the game"... but I don't know if that matters.

In years past on PS3, a game would contain the exact same data worldwide, but depending on what region of PS3 you put it into, it would censor it or not.

So importing the US version might not work to get around the censorship.

Coconut

Banned
You make no effort to "get it" though. You asked that question in a thread that already had 200 posts discussing this.

Don't act like your question was in good faith and you just want to learn. If you wanted to learn you'd read the thread.

Looking through the thread it would appear to just be a bunch of people angry over what I see as nothing.

As for the argument that its unrealistic seems pretty silly.

HardRojo

Looking through the thread it would appear to just be a bunch of people angry over what I see as nothing.

As for the argument that its unrealistic seems pretty silly.

The problem is that you have already set your mind thus asking for further explanation is rather silly from your part, you just want to make us feel guilty for wanting gore in the MP and indirectly telling us that we're sick or something because of it.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
This morning I did a little experiment, and I changed my PS3's system language & dictionary to English (US), and I signed in on my US account, and played a few matches, and I can confirm that there wasn't any extreme gore as dismembering, and decapitation. My TLOU version is EU (UK) digital. I tried everything...blowing people up with nail bombs while they were down, executing them with Shorty, and someone even executed me with a Shotgun, and nothing happened, it's the same old plastic multiplayer I've been playing from the start. I will try again, just to be sure, but it looks like you really need the US version of the game to be able to play with extreme gore. Or maybe the problem is on my part, because I have the digital copy of the game. Can someone who owns the disc based copy of the game, try the same thing I did...changing the PS3's system language & dictionary to English (US), and play the multiplayer on US account?

jimi_dini

People are talking about "where you bought the game"... but I don't know if that matters.

In years past on PS3, a game would contain the exact same data worldwide, but depending on what region of PS3 you put it into, it would censor it or not.

So importing the US version might not work to get around the censorship.

This morning I did a little experiment, and I changed my PS3's system language & dictionary to English (US), and I signed in on my US account, and played a few matches, and I can confirm that there wasn't any extreme gore as dismembering, and decapitation.

It was already confirmed that in this case the actual disc is censored. Which means buy US version and play uncensored using EU accounts.

Coconut

Banned
The problem is that you have already set your mind thus asking for further explanation is rather silly from your part, you just want to make us feel guilty for wanting gore in the MP and indirectly telling us that we're sick or something because of it.

Honestly, I don't care I'm just curious why you guys do care.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
Imagine this horror...Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain CENSORED in Europe / Australia due to extreme graphical content, racism, child soldiers, torture and brutal executions. This is very likely to happen, considering the way things started with Twisted Metal, GOW:A and now TLOU.

MGSV_zpsb4f3804b.jpg

MGSV2_zps2b05070e.jpg

We need to STOP this censorship here and now!

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
Can anyone confirm that the NA PSN version is censored, too? My version looks just like the EU version, which kinda sucks :/

NA PSN version is not censored (it was confirmed)...maybe your gore toggle is OFF, try changing that in the options menu. And is your PS3's system language set to English (US)?

Solution:

Release a free DLC (free as long as you have redeemed the online pass) in the PS store. That DLC will unlock the MP gore toggle in the options, just like DLC maps unlock the DLC toggle in UC3 MP.

In the German PS store this DLC should cost €0.99, to act as age verification (you need to be an adult to buy a PSN card in Germany).

And no, a MP gore toggle would NOT split the player pool. Graphics are rendered locally.

Solution:

Release a free DLC (free as long as you have redeemed the online pass) in the PS store. That DLC will unlock the MP gore toggle in the options, just like DLC maps unlock the DLC toggle in UC3 MP.

In the German PS store this DLC should cost €0.99, to act as age verification (you need to be an adult to buy a PSN card in Germany).

And no, a MP gore toggle would NOT split the player pool. Graphics are rendered locally.

Nah. Just change the store for the DLC and even kids could play it.

No. Arne ignores us.

Its unfair. Totally unfair. Im sure Im beating a dead horse here, but Germany should have gotten their own version. My fear is if this becomes a trend :(.
Are there any petitions? Any way to let ND know we're pissed? This is certainly a stain of deception on their part for misleading us with a US version official Multiplayer Trailer. Im certainly going to take what they say with a pinch of salt as I feel deceived by them.

AllGamer

his is very likely to happen, considering the way things started with Twisted Metal, GOW:A and now TLOU.

Bullshit. This is not very likely to happen. Just because Sony censored some games in Europe doesn't mean that other publishers are going to do so.

And why do people think they censor the games because of Germany?

Gears of War 3 is uncensored in Germany and there you can rip off an enemy's arm and beath him to death with it.

Even Saints Row IV is going to be uncensored.

The USK is far more liberal nowadays than it used to be. It's Sony's fault that they censor the games even though they could probably release them uncensored.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming Germany is the culprit: Epic had it right, just don't fucking release it in Germany.
Gears of War 3 and Judgement got a normal 18 rating, no index, no nothing. So, that's not true.

The ratings are actually pretty relaxed now. The latest God of War is uncensored, so will Saints Row 4. They still have a problem with gaining something from killing innocents (like in Saints Row 3 or Sleeping Dogs for example), which is fine by me.

Bullshit. This is not very likely to happen. Just because Sony censored some games in Europe doesn't mean that other publishers are going to do so.

And why do people think they censor the games because of Germany?

Gears of War 3 is uncensored in Germany and there you can rip off an enemy's arm and beath him to death with it.

Even Saints Row IV is going to be uncensored.

The USK is far more liberal nowadays than it used to be. It's Sony's fault that they censor the games even though they could probably release them uncensored.

Next time, I will think twice about buying a game from my local store. Gaf insiders in the know should drop a hint if a given game is censored or not, then we can all give the middle finger to ND, Sony or any other publisher and import the game from NA. Im sure most of us complaining would have done just that had we known.

Mael

Good thing I don't play multi....
Shitty thing to do, funny way to reward your loyal customers too.
Guess I'll skip them entirely soon.

Tekku

This is the first time a game has been censored for its violence in Sweden I think. Can't see why it has to be The Last of Us. Maybe it's because of the more realistic approach?

Anyway, I think it's sad when you meddle with someone else's creation like this. This is not how the game was supposed to be experienced.

AKyemeni

I always feel sorry for my EU friends when they get a headshot with the military sniper and they don't see anything, only I do. It's a cool feature that shouldn't be missed. ND, please do something about it.

NA PSN version is not censored (it was confirmed)...maybe your gore toggle is OFF, try changing that in the options menu. And is your PS3's system language set to English (US)?
Nope, the toggle is on. I've seen gore in the single player but I'm showing the same level of gore that the EU version shows in multiplayer. I've never seen a head explode or any dismemberment ever during mutliplayer. I'll trying turning it off and on to see if it'll work.

test_account

XP-39C²
Personally i dont see the big deal. The game is still pretty brutal even without the extra gore in a few animations.

Nope, the toggle is on. I've seen gore in the single player but I'm showing the same level of gore that the EU version shows in multiplayer. I've never seen a head explode or any dismemberment ever during mutliplayer. I'll trying turning it off and on to see if it'll work.
It only works with some weapons i think.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
Sorry guys, I missed the ND AMA, and didn't get the chance to ask my question. It was pretty late here in Central Europe when AMA started, and I fell asleep, due to exhaustion from work and too much sun :/

My question was going to be:

Hi,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on The Last of Us. It's truly an amazing game. I bought it on "day one" from my UK PS Store, and I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, trying my best on Survivor difficulty. My question is...why was The Last of Us multiplayer censored in Europe/Australia without a word of notice, even though the game was advertised as 100% uncut, uncensored & 18+/Mature? Those were one of the main reasons I decided to buy the game. If I had known that I was buying a censored product, I would have bought the uncensored version from US PS Store. The thing is, I wouldn't be upset, if there was a prior warning about this. Any explanation why? Any chance of a future toggle via title update?

Please respond!

Thanks,
Rockshow2oo8

...but it doesn't matter if I didn't get to ask that, because it would be either ignored, or answered with a generic BS post like "The censorship came from standards in Europe. Nothing we can do about it. Sorry."

Insano Jaco

Neo Member
Can anyone confirm that the NA PSN version is censored, too? My version looks just like the EU version, which kinda sucks :/
I live in Australia and the game is censored around here, EU version.
I bought the US PSN digital version and it was censored too, but I changed all language settings in the console to English US, and now the game is uncensored.

US version will still censored if your PS3 has language configured as English UK.

Alienous

Sorry guys, I missed the ND AMA, and didn't get the chance to ask my question. It was pretty late here in Central Europe when AMA started, and I fell asleep, due to exhaustion from work and too much sun :/

...but it doesn't matter if I didn't get to ask that, because it would be either ignored, or answered with a generic BS post like "The censorship came from standards in Europe. Nothing we can do about it. Sorry."

I'm pretty sure someone asked, and got that exact response. Word for word.

Here we go

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
As it was already mentioned in this thread, we were wrong to blame Germany & USK - Unterhaltungssoftware Selbskontrolle (impossible to pronounce lol ) for the TLOU MP censorship in EU / AU, because... * "before ponying up the couple thousand Euro submission fee, many publishers preemptively provide an edited version of their games to the board."

* source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/achtung-how-to-find-germanys-list-of-edited-games/ (this article was written in August 2010)

So it's all about the money in the end!?? SCE provided the censored version of the game to the USK, because they were afraid to get rejected by the board, and "ponying up some coins" for the second submission!?? So the USK has nothing to do with it? At least not directly? And we were blaming them the whole time? Well, that's what happenes when there is no OFFICIAL response, and when you mislead your customers...people start guessing & assuming! And I am guessing the AU version was in similar situation? And to save some cash, SCE decided not to release a German specific version of the game, but instead they released one version for the entire European continent! ONE VERSION TO RULE THEM ALL!!!

ONE-VERSION-TO-RULE-THEM-ALL_zpsc4cd996c.png

Top Bottom