• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II has gone GOLD.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Be careful with your predictions that this will sell gangbusters. Most recent Sony exclusive flopped hard. Really hard. I think 17M of the first game is out of reach. No way with this story and characters.
It'll do 12 million easily and likely end up at 15-17 million units sold

Yes, I've watched the leaked footage and examined it in depth, and my takeaway is that the game looks great, really fucking good. I don't have an issue with any of the content and I feel that "the fanbase" are overreacting wildly.

Honestly, much of the internet response to the leaked footage has left a foul taste in my mouth. I kinda expect to read a lot of stupid hot-takes on the internet, but this has really taken the cake.

I'm not asking for any spoilers but are people hating on this game because they are being homophobic?

To my knowledge having homosexuals in a game doesn't exactly make it bad.

With the amount of dislikes on that video you would’ve thought half of the game would be behind a paywall. But nope. Man-children gonna be man-children.

The response to this game is so cringe inducing. It's wild. All I can picture in my head is this guy when I read these replies man it's brutal.
1y1b3y.jpg

I'm not asking for any spoilers but are people hating on this game because they are being homophobic?

Not at all, not the vast majority. There might be like 3 nutjobs somewhere, but they're the same nutjobs who cared about the Left Behind DLC. Without spoiling it it's kind of hard to explain. Suffice it to say that the main points of contention are the forcing of certain political issues and story beats and events that are going to be...extremely divisive...to say the least. Some people won't mind them, some will hate them. I doubt many will actually love them.

Not at all, not the vast majority. There might be like 3 nutjobs somewhere, but they're the same nutjobs who cared about the Left Behind DLC. Without spoiling it it's kind of hard to explain. Suffice it to say that the main points of contention are the forcing of certain political issues and story beats and events that are going to be...extremely divisive...to say the least. Some people won't mind them, some will hate them. I doubt many will actually love them.

So is it a game that tries to force people to accept homosexuals?

Like if your someone who isn't comfortable with homosexuals it tries to make you feel like a criminal?

I'm really trying to understand why some people are freaking out over this.

Like if your someone who isn't comfortable with homosexuals it tries to make you feel like a criminal?

That could be an interpretation. It's not just that though. It's bordering on preachy. I don't care what people in their personal lives...I still have no wish to be preached at. And that's totally separate from the story beats and specific events people are taking issue with...but for obvious reasons I can't go into those. You'll likely know exactly what they are when you come to play it.

SleepDoctor

Banned

There's no way to really put it without spoiling the game. Just wait and see for yourself. Did you like Left Behind?

SleepDoctor

Banned
The kiss in the end didn't bother me at all. I enjoyed playing it.

Then you're probably going to be alright. I couldn't keep any interest in the dlc. Seeing ellie as the main in trailers already lowered my excitement and the spoilers killed it.

I may rent it but im not sure I'll finish it like i couldn't with Left Behind.

THEAP99

Banned
Not sure if I will watch the trailer as I have been spoiled and don't need to see anything more.

Anyways, i think a lot of people are going to be like "well at least the gameplay is good so I'll get it anyways" deep down knowing they were never going to not get it lol. Hopefully the hype train is back up and going

That could be an interpretation. It's not just that though. It's bordering on preachy. I don't care what people in their personal lives...I still have no wish to be preached at. And that's totally separate from the story beats and specific events people are taking issue with...but for obvious reasons I can't go into those. You'll likely know exactly what they are when you come to play it.

I'm starting to understand it now.

Like how the press focuses on the abuse that the LGBT community gets over the same abuse that the Non LGBT community gets.

Not saying the LGBT community doesn't get mistreated but being LGBT doesn't make them any more special than a straight person.

An example would be the LGBT community in Spain gets aid due to their sexual preference. The justification is that this aid is to help offset the discrimination that they get. When the reality is they should be treated the same way that straight people do. Being part of the LGBT community shouldn't give you any additional rights.

So what I'm guessing is bugging people is that Druckman is trying to say that members of the LGBT community deserve more rights than straight people do.

I haven't seen any spoilers but I'll make a guess at the overall feel of the story. It's basically a story about the straight community mistreating the LGBT community in a post apocalyptic environment. The story highlights this injustice and tries to make the straight community look evil and the LGBT community like innocent victims of their sexuality. So instead of trying tell a story about survival it's a story about Straights vs LGBT. Everything else gets tossed out the window to push this narrative.

That's my theory anyways.

Geki-D

Banned
I'm starting to understand it now.

Like how the press focuses on the abuse that the LGBT community gets over the same abuse that the Non LGBT community gets.

Not saying the LGBT community doesn't get mistreated but being LGBT doesn't make them any more special than a straight person.

An example would be the LGBT community in Spain gets aid due to their sexual preference. The justification is that this aid is to help offset the discrimination that they get. When the reality is they should be treated the same way that straight people do. Being part of the LGBT community shouldn't give you any additional rights.

So what I'm guessing is bugging people is that Druckman is trying to say that members of the LGBT community deserve more rights than straight people do.

I haven't seen any spoilers but I'll make a guess at the overall feel of the story. It's basically a story about the straight community mistreating the LGBT community in a post apocalyptic environment. The story highlights this injustice and tries to make the straight community look evil and the LGBT community like innocent victims of their sexuality. So instead of trying tell a story about survival it's a story about Straights vs LGBT. Everything else gets tossed out the window to push this narrative.

That's my theory anyways.
I think it's more openly gay people exist in media = "preachy".

Remember how "preachy" Left Behind was? If you liked that you should, apparently, be ok. Pretty much tells you everything.

I know that feeling, some opinions about this game got me checking I'm not on stormfront.
Seeing as how I've not seen anyone espousing white nationalism in response to the leaks that sounds like a you problem...and one that is unbecoming of a GAFfer. That kind of "I disagree therefore you're a Nazi" rhetoric also sounds like an ERA hot take. That's 2 ERAtakes in as many posts. You'll fit right in...or you can stop being a reductionist knob and come back into the GAF fold.

Geki-D

Banned
Seeing as how I've not seen anyone espousing white nationalism in response to the leaks that sounds like a you problem...and one that is unbecoming of a GAFfer. That kind of "I disagree therefore you're a Nazi" rhetoric also sounds like an ERA hot take. That's 2 ERAtakes in as many posts. You'll fit right in...or you can stop being a reductionist knob and come back into the GAF fold.
I have met the great gatekeeper of GAF, tester of purity it would seem.

I have met the great gatekeeper of GAF, tester of purity it would seem.
Ha, I wish my title was so grand! I'm merely pointing out that you should leave that kind of attitude at the door. As a general rule it's not appreciated here...something of which you should be keenly aware seeing as how you've been here significantly longer than I.

Casanova

As long as the game doesn't brainwash us to change our sexuality I will not have any issues with it.

If you can be brainwashed into having sex with dudes that easily, then maybe you're not as straight as you thought. I've seen hundreds of straight romances in video games, and NEVER ONCE did my brain get washed into being straight. Logic, boys - it's fun stuff.

I, too, have been here much longer than you. I can safely say that gaf used to be a less edgelordy place to hang around with more progressive ideals and industry innovators. The influx of Reddit and 4chan boys has really changed the face of Gaf.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Ha, I wish my title was so grand! I'm merely pointing out that you should leave that kind of attitude at the door. As a general rule it's not appreciated here...something of which you should be keenly aware seeing as how you've been here significantly longer than I.
My response was a spiffy joke to your disingenuous, purity testing. And you're right, I have been here longer than you. That's how I know that people who throw out "HUH-DUH YOU DA ERA" are idiots incapable of forming proper arguments, having any sort of conversation and don't give a shit about games but only care about TEH CULTUH WARZZZ.

I, too, have been here much longer than you. I can safely say that gaf used to be a less edgelordy place to hang around with more progressive ideals and industry innovators. The influx of Reddit and 4chan boys has really changed the face of Gaf.
I think you mean the mass exodus of the ERAtards...something which has only been for the betterment of GAF. I'd much rather have freedom to disagree without being lynched by a mob then perma'd than "progressive ideals and industry innovators".

My response was a spiffy joke
poQxTe3h.jpg

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's the new narrative to try to bring down Naughty Dog. Some people have been waiting a decade for a chink in ND's armor but it's not a big deal whatsoever

Casanova

I think you mean the mass exodus of the ERAtards...something which has only been for the betterment of GAF. I'd much rather have freedom to disagree without being lynched by a mob then perma'd than "progressive ideals and industry innovators".

Nope, I said what I said - and it's true. I witnessed it first-hand.

Using play-on-words like "ERAtards" further proves my point. Distasteful boy humor, the likes of which most professionals got over in middle school. A certain standard used to be the norm on here, but now we have edgelordy reddit boys who think they're clever and innovative because they go against the social progressive grain. People have always had the freedom to disagree on here (believe me, I was here back then, and you weren't). But there's a thing called the Paradox of Intolerance. If you tolerate the intolerant, the intolerant will win. We definitely see it happening in some cases here. The mods have gotten okay at drawing a reasonable line, but there's still a lot of things that get missed.

Last edited:
Using play-on-words like "ERAtards" further proves my point. Distasteful boy humor, the likes of which most professionals got over in middle school. A certain standard used to be the norm on here, but now we have edgelordy reddit boys who think they're clever and innovative because they go against the social progressive grain. People have always had the freedom to disagree on here (believe me, I was here). But there's a thing called the Paradox of Intolerance. If you tolerate the intolerant, the intolerant will rise.
I don't care if you think it's "distasteful boy humor". Grow old, not up...you boring old fart. As for having the freedom to disagree here back in the day...why don't you go and test that theory on ResetERA right now? After all, that's where all the people who used to lynch, then permaban, then lynch again, are now. I avoided NeoGAF at the time for a good reason and it's the same reason I avoid ResetERA today.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its a shitstorm of garbage opinions. Plenty of concern trolls, agents of FUD, platform warriors, militant "anti-SJW" types, butt-hurt fanboy idiots, you name it.

But to your question yes, homo/trans/xenophobia is most definitely in play to some extent. Not that pushing back against the extremes of "woke" and cancel culture is something I'm unsympathetic to, but that really isn't what's going on here.

The bottom line is Druckmann's politics and socio-political outlook were just as progressive back when he wrote and directed the first TLOU, and its a game most people seemed to love. Now people are claiming that due to those same personal politics TLOU2 cannot be any good.

It just doesn't stand up to rational scrutiny, in fact pretty much none of the crap being flung at the game, ND and Sony does really.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

The first game had homosexuals in it and everyone loved it. Anyone who’s telling you the negative reaction to TLOU2 is because of “muh homophobia” is spinning a yarn.

Paracelsus

Modern gaming journalists love these kinda stories that spite the audience.
It's not exclusively politics, that's the icing on the cake, they quite simply hate gaming and gamers. If they can use political buzzwords as a shield to protect their hot takes, they will.

As for scores, it's like expecting Jim Sterling to hate TLOU2 story after he said he liked TLJ and the ghosts in FFVIIr. Not happening.

The bottom line is Druckmann's politics and socio-political outlook were just as progressive back when he wrote and directed the first TLOU, and its a game most people seemed to love. Now people are claiming that due to those same personal politics TLOU2 cannot be any good.

Druckmann had nowhere near as much creative control as he has now, he didn't pretty much run Naughty Dog, gaming journalism wasn't politically charged like it is now, and neither was the industry in general.
That's like arguing the Kingdom Hearts writing of FFVIIr is a coincidence and has got nothing to do with Nomura being the director.

Casanova

I don't care if you think it's "distasteful boy humor". Grow old, not up...you boring old fart. As for having the freedom to disagree here back in the day...why don't you go and test that theory on ResetERA right now? After all, that's where all the people who used to lynch, then permaban, then lynch again, are now. I avoided NeoGAF at the time for a good reason and it's the same reason I avoid ResetERA today.

Growth and change is a good thing, my child. It is distasteful boy humor. You just weren't ever told that as a distasteful boy, so you continued doing you. Whose to say it isn't healthy to grow old and grow up? That's what I've done as evidenced by a lack of "retard" and "lol that's gay" humor. There's plenty of other clever ways to be funny without being distasteful - so, I'm sorry you just ran out of gas in that department.

Again, reasonable disagreement (supported with evidence and a general sense of acceptance) was and should always be the goal line.

Geki-D

Banned
The first game had homosexuals in it and everyone loved it. Anyone who’s telling you the negative reaction to TLOU2 is because of “muh homophobia” is spinning a yarn.
This is completely untrue. The first game had 1 gay character: Bill (it wasn't mentioned for Ellie in the base game), and you could play through the whole game and not pick up on it. The game never clearly told you but only hinted at it. In Left Behind Ellie & Riley were gay, this was show by one innocent kiss between two 13 year olds. And already there were people who lost their shit (apparently some in this thread couldn't even bring themselves to beat the game). In TLOU2 Ellie is openly gay and this is shown in the same way any heteosexual adult relationship would be shown... And here the sky is falling, everyone panic, western civilization has fallen, Stalin has been resurrected, everyone goes to the Gulags.

lol *People* are only ok when gay characters are in games if they're hidden. If their homosexuality is only hinted at. Otherwise it's "woke" and that's bad. How do you not make something woke? Easy, remove the openly gay characters. This whole "anti-woke" movement is so fucking transparent.

Last edited:
Again, reasonable disagreement (supported with evidence and a general sense of acceptance) was and should always be the goal line.
And again...why don't you go and put that claim to the test over on ResetERA, where the people you claim used to be reasonable now are?

Growth and change is a good thing, my child.
A little wisdom for you: Being a condescending bellend will get you nowhere and does a very poor job of convincing anyone of anything...my child...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is completely untrue. The first game had 1 gay character: Bill (it wasn't mentioned for Ellie in the base game), and you could play through the whole game and not pick up on it. The game never clearly told you but only hinted at it. In Left Behind Ellie & Riley were gay, this was show by one innocent kiss between two 13 year olds. And already there were people who lost their shit (apparently some in this thread couldn't even bring themselves to beat the game). In TLOU2 Ellie is openly gay and this is shown in the same way any heteosexual adult relationship would be shown... And here the sky is falling, everyone panic, western civilization has fallen, Stalin has been resurrected, everyone goes to the Gulags.

lol *People* are only ok when gay characters are in games if they're hidden. If their homosexuality is only hinted at. Otherwise it's "woke" and that's bad. How do you not make something woke? Easy, remove the openly gay characters. This whole "anti-woke" movement is so fucking transparent.

The only thing "fucking transparent" is your ignorance and blatant mischaracterization, Geki-D. Though this isn't anything new coming from you. You do this all the fucking time.

People didn't have an issue with Bill because he was a *character* first and his sexuality wasn't the defining characteristic. He wasn't"hidden" like you wrongfully claim. His sexuality was there for anyone to see and it was done tastefully. Compare that to TLOU2 whose very first thing we see is Ellie, not as a character, but her sexuality. She is "gay" and that is her sole defining characteristic in almost every promotional trailer we have seen that has involved her. That has been how she was written since the original game's DLC.

Its shit writing, plain and simple. Nothing with being "homophobic" like you so blatantly try to claim here. No one has an issue with Bill. No one had an issue with Sylvando from DQ11. I will repeat this as it seems to be so very hard for you to comprehend: They were characters first and foremost, their sexuality were not their sole defining characteristic. They were written as people who just happened to be gay. This is how you *should* write a character.

But anyways, ignore reality as that is what you always tend to do. Anything to further grand stand on your moral soapbox, eh?

And again...why don't you go and put that claim to the test over on ResetERA, where the people you claim used to be reasonable now are?

A little wisdom for you: Being a condescending bellend will get you nowhere and does a very poor job of convincing anyone of anything...my child...

Ignore the REEEEEEturning troll. They do this often.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Druckmann had nowhere near as much creative control as he has now, he didn't pretty much run Naughty Dog, gaming journalism wasn't politically charged like it is now, and neither was the industry in general.

He's talked in depth how Anita Sarkeesian's stuff had a huge impact on the first game, and he's the sole credited writer on the project. That's more than enough "control" for anyone, and yet it turned out well.

Seems to me the main thing that's changed is that the internet has become incredibly polarized and politically tribal. To the extent that anything that is presumed to be affiliated with the "other side" must be taken down at all costs.

Its batshit insane.

He's talked in depth how Anita Sarkeesian's stuff had a huge impact on the first game, and he's the sole credited writer on the project. That's more than enough "control" for anyone, and yet it turned out well.

Seems to me the main thing that's changed is that the internet has become incredibly polarized and politically tribal. To the extent that anything that is presumed to be affiliated with the "other side" must be taken down at all costs.

Its batshit insane.
Totally, i mean there have been politics in games forever, maybe you (and i dont mean you specifically I mean figuratively) dont agree with it and thats fine. But that doesnt give you the absolute to shit on a product because it doesnt cater to you. News flash, not all products are for you or will cater to you. I dont like toy story movies because I wana see some limbs blown off. But I can still acknowledge its a good product while realizing "hey you know what, its just not for me"
To many self entitled people these days.

Casanova

Oh man, you're easy. How about instead of picking apart my verbiage in your defense you could counter with something meaningful. A little wisdom would have told you that retard jokes went out of style in the early 2000's. Grow the fuck up already, and please, find a better sense of humor. Your persistence tells me that you have it in you somewhere, just waiting to mature - or maybe just keep latching onto childhood humor for the sake of "not growing up". Either way, so glad to have you as a new member of Gaf. Such a pleasant little man.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

Except it was already known that Ellie was gay when the PS4 version was released, and that version accounts for more than half of the game’s total 20 million sales

So the game actually more than doubled its sales after it came out that Ellie was gay 🤔 🤔 🤔

Maybe you should calm down

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the thing same way developers are free to make sexy designs in their game they are also free to put gay character as main character, its his game he can pretty do what he wants and people are free not to like it.

I enjoyed the first game I had zero issue with Left Behind DLC. I also have no problem playing as Ellie, finishing the first game it was pretty obvious we would play as her in the second game. If thats what making people angry about it then I have nothing to worry about.

Casanova

Compare that to TLOU2 whose very first thing we see is Ellie, not as a character, but her sexuality. She is "gay" and that is her sole defining characteristic in almost every promotional trailer we have seen that has involved her. That has been how she was written since the original game's DLC.

Its shit writing, plain and simple. Nothing with being "homophobic" like you so blatantly try to claim here. No one has an issue with Bill. No one had an issue with Sylvando from DQ11. I will repeat this as it seems to be so very hard for you to comprehend: They were characters first and foremost, their sexuality were not their sole defining characteristic. They were written as people who just happened to be gay. This is how you *should* write a character.

But anyways, ignore reality as that is what you always tend to do. Anything to further grand stand on your moral soapbox, eh?

Hahahahahaha. See the vast list of heterosexual romances in video games, including kissing scenes. Hahahahaha. Look at the list below of kisses in video games, with 95%+ of them being hetero. Classic flawed logic to assume that one kissing scene as the "sole defining characteristic". What about revenge, vengeance, agility, intelligence, care, ruthlessness, etc.? All of those put on display during the trailers. You guys really do some crazy mental gymnastics with your arguments. It's hilarious.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Assassin's Creed Unity
Infamous: Second Son
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
The Walking Dead: The Final Season Spider-Man Resident Evil 2
Detroit: Become Human
Life Is Strange: Before The Storm
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Assassin's Creed 2
Final Fantasy X
Tomb Raider
The Walking Dead: Season Three
Beyond: Two Souls
Mass Effect 3
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Heavy Rain
The Walking Dead
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Life Is Strange
Until Dawn
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Mass Effect 3
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Batman: Arkham Knight
A Way Out
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Game of Thrones
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Until Dawn
Mafia III
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Batman: The Telltale Series
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Mad Max
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Mass Effect 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Soulcalibur IV
The Last of Us: Left Behind

Geki-D

Banned
People didn't have an issue with Bill because he was a *character* first and his sexuality wasn't the defining characteristic. He wasn't"hidden" like you wrongfully claim. His sexuality was there for anyone to see and it was done tastefully.
Nope. Plenty of people back in the day said they didn't even notice Bill was gay. He only vaguely refers to "his partner", and there he owns a gay porn mag that Ellie snatches. And that's it, those are the extent of his homosexuality. Bill is also a side character we briefly meet for for one section of the game, he has no real bearing on the overall plot. But if he did, oh boy, you would be mad.

Compare that to TLOU2 whose very first thing we see is Ellie, not as a character, but her sexuality. She is "gay" and that is her sole defining characteristic in almost every promotional trailer we have seen that has involved her. That has been how she was written since the original game's DLC.
More disingenuous shit. In ONE TRAILER it is established that she has a love interest that will be relevant to the plot. If this was a heterosexual relationship you wouldn't be complaining.

I'm sure you have jackshit to say about Days Gone being all about the main character pining for his wife in trailer:

After trailer:

After trailer:

If this was a gay character you'd be losing your shit, this would be the "woke" agenda on full display.

So the game actually more than doubled its sales after it came out that Ellie was gay 🤔 🤔 🤔

Maybe you should calm down
Oh wait. You assume the normal people who actually buy games care about this shit and will care about it in TLOU2?! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
large.jpg

Ah that's cute. Imagine you guy thinking you're the majority! :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ignore the REEEEEEturning troll. They do this often.
Yeah, wouldn't want to get BTFO any more than you already have been.

Last edited:
Top Bottom