• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered - 30 Second TV Spot (Spoilers)

Shredderi

Some cutscenes used higher resolution characters and some used in game characters. The scene above used in game characters and they look like the cutscene characters. This game is going to be heavenly. Can't wait to see the screenshots people post here in release.

Hell yeah. Screenshots are what I want to see the most too. Would be dope to see side-by-side shots from both versions for comparison. And yes, now that we can take screenshots pretty effortlessly it's gonna be screenshots galore. Thank god that we can now put the shots on usb drives.

Mr Moose

I don't want to see ANY in game footage at all. Just post a dozen 1080p screenshots ND.

Can't someone gif this pic so that it flicks (slowish) from the PS3 version to this?

I've been trying with GIFs and screenshots from the video, but my GIFs save too damn slow :'(
ibzwQUQHwajkhb.png
http://i.minus.com/ii5b2Bi6sY3CG.gif
[Taken from PS4 video - I don't have it set to full range in Vegas]

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh this scene is realtime? Interesting, someone should definitely screencap this ps3 segment.

Hell yeah. Screenshots are what I want to see the most too. Would be dope to see side-by-side shots from both versions for comparison. And yes, now that we can take screenshots pretty effortlessly it's gonna be screenshots galore. Thank god that we can now put the shots on usb drives.

My mistake guys. I've just found that scene and it ISN'T using in game character models :(

Winter John

Gold Member
Didn't notice any difference at all. The game is great and worth buying if people haven't played it, otherwise, like the TR reboot it seems totally pointless.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Didn't notice any difference at all. The game is great and worth buying if people haven't played it, otherwise, like the TR reboot it seems totally pointless.

When is it going to sink in:

a) These are from the cutscenes and we haven't seen gameplay
b) Youtube is useless for comparisons.

They are hiding actual gameplay footage till release. I wonder why.

Sure it will look nice but it always looked nice, its going to be such a similar looking game they don't want anyone to even see the gameplay before it hits.

And it starts......

Uh Oh, Cyborg is back. Is this the beginning of the big "The Last of Us is going to be 30fps" announcement? I mean, you basically put your account on the line constantly arguing the game will be 30fps on PS4. Then, ran from TLOU threads. Is this the beginning? Is it starting? I am ready for the meltdowns, lol.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
You didn't notice a difference between TR current gen and the PS360 versions?

I can't believe that for a second. TR was a pc build for next gen. it looked great. While im really excited for this, i'm not expecting that level of enhancement. I would welcome it tho

Winter John

Gold Member
You didn't notice a difference between TR current gen and the PS360 versions?

I didn't say that. I was obviously referring to TLOU. As for TR, yes I noticed she had better hair but that was about it. I enjoyed the game. I think it's far superior to anything Naughty Dog have produced. If people hadn't played it on the PS3 or Xbox or PC, then the reboot would have been worth it for them. For myself, nope, I would have considered spending £45 just to see Lara's new hair cut a total waste of money.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I didn't say that. I was obviously referring to TLOU. As for TR, yes I noticed she had better hair but that was about it. I enjoyed the game. I think it's far superior to anything Naughty Dog have produced. If people hadn't played it on the PS3 or Xbox or PC, then the reboot would have been worth it for them. For myself, nope, I would have considered spending £45 just to see Lara's new hair cut a total waste of money.
Brace yourself

Nope, so pay up $50.

Thank you.

Since when did this a "thing"? You should keep your expectations, realistic son.

"Hey I bought a 2013 vehicle, do I get the 2014 model free?"

Whoa easy there bud. I was just asking a question. I don;t expect anything from Sony or ND. It became a "thing" when Sony and other companies started offering cross-buy/upgrade discounts. Plus I remember reading somewhere ND was looking into some sort of upgrade option for those who about TLOU on PS3.

EDIT: I was right:

"We're looking into the business model for all this," he wrote, "and will post about this once we have input from all regions." - Naughty Dog community strategist Eric Monacelli

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5624914/the-last-of-us-ps4-discount-upgrade

jett

D-Member
Cut the snark out you. I'm sick of seeing you attack everybody who has the slightest criticism of the game

People can act nutty about this game, agreed. TLOU:R is not something that will make me buy a PS4 since I've already played it like five times from start to finish, but I would be interested in noticing what upgrades ND made. Unfortunately ND doesn't want us to see them until a website like Digital Foundry gets its hands on the game. :p Looking at this trailer, with its occasional jaggies/shimmering though is enough proof that ND hasn't invented a magical AA like people desperately wanted to believe when the UC4 trailer hit.

orochi91

People can act nutty about this game, agreed. TLOU:R is not something that will make me buy a PS4 since I've already played it like five times from start to finish, but I would be interested in noticing what upgrades ND made. Unfortunately ND doesn't want us to see them until a website like Digital Foundry gets its hands on the game. :p Looking at this trailer, with its occasional jaggies/shimmering though is enough proof that ND hasn't invented a magical AA like people desperately wanted to believe when the UC4 trailer hit.

Yea, I'm disappointed by the aliasing present in the remastered version.
It's pretty blatant.

"Whining"... okay. Just trying to make things less muddled. We all know what pre-rendered cutscenes from The Last of Us look like. Just go look at any TV spot for the game from PS3 release.

Mods make things "less muddled," and they are good at that! As for Thread Whining, it is complaining about a thread when it is posted, you complained about this thread when it was posted. Check the TOS, it is a bannable offense.

Winter John

Gold Member

I would absolutely recommend the game to anyone who hasn't played it, but personally I wouldn't spend £40 just to look at slightly prettier graphics. I'm not a fan of reboots when they really bring nothing new to the table. No doubt, there will be plenty of people who have a different opinion

LastNac

indy.gif

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That trailer is hardly what I'd call spoilerish. "Oh, things happen to the characters! Bah. Spoilers!" Unless you're just that good, there's nothing to be gleaned other than "at some point a gun is pointed at the characters, and oh Ellie is running through the snow. . .weather! Spoiled!"

Also, this looks quite nice.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I know opinions and all that, but man... The taste level.

AmyS

The cut scenes on PS4's Remastered cannot be pre-rendered, as in pre-rendered CG. That would defeat the whole purpose. Am I wrong here?

Now, exactly how different PS4 gameplay is from the PS4 real-time cut scenes and from the cut scenes on PS3, all remains to be seen.

I haven't played the PS3 version so I can't speak for its cut scenes.

It IS very curious why we haven't seen PS4 gameplay yet.

As someone else mentioned in one of the other threads, I'd expect a day-one patch, as I would just imagine ND continuing to optimize the framerate after Remastered went gold. I'm not stating that is the case, I'm just saying it would not surprise me.

jett

D-Member
The cut scenes on PS4's Remastered cannot be pre-rendered, as in pre-rendered CG. That would defeat the whole purpose. Am I wrong here?

Now, exactly how different PS4 gameplay is from the PS4 real-time cut scenes and from the cut scenes on PS3, all remains to be seen.

I haven't played the PS3 version so I can't speak for its cut scenes.

It IS very curious why we haven't seen PS4 gameplay yet.

As someone else mentioned in one of the other threads, I'd expect a day-one patch, as I would just imagine ND continuing to optimize the framerate after Remastered went gold. I'm not stating that is the case, I'm just saying it would not surprise me.

The cut-scenes are still pre-rendered, it's been confirmed. I'm intrigued by the quality of the compression, since TLOU on PS3 already used a dual-layer BD, and TLOU:R is using 1080p@60fps videos. The PS4 version could potentially have worse macroblocking.

orochi91

The biggest thing they had to tackle I think. Vanilla TLOU had some of the worst shimmering edges

It's a pity it will still be there. Man, I wanted this remaster to be perfect, but now
I have to pray for a day one patch.

Will probably buy when it's on sale. Fuck. Not happy with what's been shown.

Darknight

Thank you.

Whoa easy there bud. I was just asking a question. I don;t expect anything from Sony or ND. It became a "thing" when Sony and other companies started offering cross-buy/upgrade discounts. Plus I remember reading somewhere ND was looking into some sort of upgrade option for those who about TLOU on PS3.

EDIT: I was right:

"We're looking into the business model for all this," he wrote, "and will post about this once we have input from all regions." - Naughty Dog community strategist Eric Monacelli

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5624914/the-last-of-us-ps4-discount-upgrade

Cross-buy is something thats for PSN titles only like small games or indie games. Never has there been anything such as "buy this old copy and once the new one comes out, its free". (For retail games even Digital ones) The closest we got was when the cross-gen games came out that had a $10 "upgrade" and by upgrade, you must keep your old disk in the system to play the new one. (why? because companies are not gonna just give you a free upgrade of a full retail title.)

And for that forum reply. Guess this is on that dude person but my feeling was that it was a generic response to try to answer these questions. If there was an "upgrade" path, this shit would of been settled weeks before release.

Here is what we knew last year, a rumor about TLoU PS4 port coming for it. Once you know this, people should of avoided buying the game. Im being honest. I couldnt stop myself getting the game but I opted out of getting the Season Pass and missed out on it. Well I knew this was coming. Saved myself $20 which is going to the new copy. Sometimes people shouldnt be buying a product if they know an improved version is coming out later.

Now if you bought TLoU PS3 Digital...well digital content on PS3/360 is still really iffy. Its a closed market so prices will remain high and sales are not as many as say Steam. Knowing this, you took the risk of spending top dollar on a digital copy that you knew had risk and downsides to it. Physical copies drop after time unlike digital and there is no expectation that that digital version of the PS3 copy is gonna grant you a free or discounted PS4 copy. Use common sense, cross buy is not for retail games. I feel that ND guy who replied to the discount question shouldnt of done it as now people are hopeful for something thats 99% sure aint happening. Sorry for a nasty reply though :(

viveks86

PS4 cutscenes aren't real time. They are pre-rendered as well (probably with just 1 PS4, though we don't know for sure). Making them realtime would have required significant code changes. What is expected, however, is the gameplay wouldn't be very different from the cutscenes in terms of models, lighting or texture quality, which wasn't the case for the PS3.

If you told me that was the trailer for the original ps3 version I'd believe you. If you told me that was the original PS3 version I'd believe you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a pity it will still be there. Man, I wanted this remaster to be perfect, but now

There is a chance that these aren't the final versions of the cuscenes or that they were more restricted in what they could change because they were just doing a rerender at 1080/60 and not altering other cutscene contents.

Rising_Hei

These trailers are made for people that has to yet experience this game, not for people that wants to find out what the differences with its ps3 version are, imo.

Dude, at least wait until you see actual gameplay. Don't make such a decision based on pre-rendered cut-scenes.

shem935

Banned
They were pre-rendered cutscenes. How much better are they gonna look? Ps3 resolution to 1080p 60. That is the difference that I see there. Gameplay is where the changes will be apparent.

Cross-buy is something thats for PSN titles only like small games or indie games. Never has there been anything such as "buy this old copy and once the new one comes out, its free". (For retail games even Digital ones) The closest we got was when the cross-gen games came out that had a $10 "upgrade" and by upgrade, you must keep your old disk in the system to play the new one. (why? because companies are not gonna just give you a free upgrade of a full retail title.)

And for that forum reply. Guess this is on that dude person but my feeling was that it was a generic response to try to answer these questions. If there was an "upgrade" path, this shit would of been settled weeks before release.

Here is what we knew last year, a rumor about TLoU PS4 port coming for it. Once you know this, people should of avoided buying the game. Im being honest. I couldnt stop myself getting the game but I opted out of getting the Season Pass and missed out on it. Well I knew this was coming. Saved myself $20 which is going to the new copy. Sometimes people shouldnt be buying a product if they know an improved version is coming out later.

Now if you bought TLoU PS3 Digital...well digital content on PS3/360 is still really iffy. Its a closed market so prices will remain high and sales are not as many as say Steam. Knowing this, you took the risk of spending top dollar on a digital copy that you knew had risk and downsides to it. Physical copies drop after time unlike digital and there is no expectation that that digital version of the PS3 copy is gonna grant you a free or discounted PS4 copy. Use common sense, cross buy is not for retail games. I feel that ND guy who replied to the discount question shouldnt of done it as now people are hopeful for something thats 99% sure aint happening. Sorry for a nasty reply though :(

I remember getting a copy of PSABR for purchasing the ps3 copy, crossbuy. Also, wasn't Sly cooper cross buy if you bought ps3 version?

synce

These trailers are made for people that has to yet experience this game, not for people that wants to find out what the differences with its ps3 version are, imo.

Those trailers spoiled everything though lol

It looks like the PS4 version does have jaggies.. maybe they traded off anti aliasing for 60fps

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did TLOU on PS3 have aliasing in cutscenes or were they supersampled? There's aliasing here, like on the back of the truck or the shimmer on the fence behind Ellie. Not much of it, but it's there.

Those trailers spoiled everything though lol

It looks like the PS4 version does have jaggies.. maybe they traded off anti aliasing for 60fps
Well, thats the thing - they wouldn't have to trade it if cutscenes were pre rendered.

Top Bottom