• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, all the prequel/clone wars designs are such shit. They look like the MOCs of pre-school kids. It's not LEGO's fault, the actual ship designs are shit.

Yea no greatly disagree with you. Lot of great designs in the older eras and LEGO hasn't given them proper representations. Several kits have been done several times also, each with a bunch of flaws.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
3RBVY.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want some scale luggage for that top rack. I hope they continue with more of these. The VW was my highlight of last year I think.

wetwired

Did I start a trend with Town Hall as well? Can't wait to have Uruk Hai invading it soon.

As for Venkman, I don't like the new hair as much. Too slick. Unless you coat him in slime.

Yup, although I didn't have the time to set up a full riot :(

My other option for venkmans hair wars to actually sculpt his hairline out of a standard hairpiece like this
3901.jpg

Is that a custom Master Chief LEGO, or something from that LEGO knockoff line?

If the latter, he needs to be hanged, a LEGO gallows is in order.

it's custom lego helmet and chest piece from Brickforge

Do you guys display your minifigs? Right now I have them littered all over my desk and it's a bit messy looking.

Also, is there a date for the Spider-Man set? I thought it was out, but I can't find it on Amazon.

wetwired

Do you guys display your minifigs? Right now I have them littered all over my desk and it's a bit messy looking.

Funny you should say that, after laying out all my minifigs in front of the town hall last night I decided I needed to find a way to display them instead of hiding them away in boxes. I think I'm going go down the Ikea "ribba" frame route someone mentioned previously. It seems like the nicest way presentation wise to display them and keep them dust-free and in good condition.

I don't know what came over me today but I picked up the T-6 . I may put it together tonight. I'll take some pics if i do. It's about the only clone wars ship I actually like the look of so far.

I picked that up last month becausey local Walmart had it for $30. It's a decent build with cool minifigs. But if it wasn't on sake, I would have never purchased it.

Damn, so jealous. I'd even buy it for full price, but haven't seen it anywhere.

My local BN has it every time I go in for coffee. Check and see if they do. Is the set out of print now or something?

EDIT: Checked Ebay prices. Shit. It is OOP then? Will have to snag soon. Was saving for the Hulk mini fig sale (order either an Avengers set or a modular), but if this is OOP i need to get it asap.

Christian

So, I need some advice. I got the Kingdoms Joust set, and now I have it through my stupid head that I want to go back and get the Black Falcons stuff. But it's over 25 years old, and to get it in the condition I like to normally keep myself in, it's going to set me back quite a bit. Please, explain to me why it would be okay just to get the sets with instructions in good condition, and not to worry about the box or getting it new. BUT DON'T YOU LIE TO ME!! If you wouldn't settle for anything less than awesome condition, tell me that, too. I need guidance!!

My local BN has it every time I go in for coffee. Check and see if they do. Is the set out of print now or something?

EDIT: Checked Ebay prices. Shit. It is OOP then? Will have to snag soon. Was saving for the Hulk mini fig sale (order either an Avengers set or a modular), but if this is OOP i need to get it asap.

Saw the ebay prices, was thinking of picking up another one to flip. Not sure yet though.

Saw the ebay prices, was thinking of picking up another one to flip. Not sure yet though.

I don't like the picking up to flip thing. Just doesn't jive well for me. Now, if I were to get it I would sell it at what I paid plus whatever shipping because it would be helping someone else out that truly wanted it.

Of course, if I get a Lego set, I buy it to play with it.

I don't like the picking up to flip thing. Just doesn't jive well for me. Now, if I were to get it I would sell it at what I paid plus whatever shipping because it would be helping someone else out that truly wanted it.

Of course, if I get a Lego set, I buy it to play with it.

I have never really been a fan of it myself. The issues I really have is when people will by like 5 or more and flip them all, or buy the last few. The place I was at literally had 20 some left, so I really dont see too much harm in flipping one.

Anyone remember those Western sets back in 95-96? Just picked up a couple on Craigslist, Sheriff's Lockup and Gold City Junction for 50. They're missing a few pieces but they're still like 95% complete or so. I'll see if I can get some pics up soon...not a fan of the Sheriff's Lock-Up so I may sell it and buy some other Lego instead.

bro1

Banned
Was at our science museum Friday and they had this set marked at 79.99 originally but marked down to 34.99 so I bit on it.

0067341912862_500X500.jpg

I got this on sale at Target for about the same price. I had no idea it was so expensive.

Finished up this weekend Hogwarts castle which my 5 year old promptly destroyed. I've put the Millenium Falcon in my office to keep out of his hands. He also destroyed the Hoth Base I built for him over christmas

I have never really been a fan of it myself. The issues I really have is when people will by like 5 or more and flip them all, or buy the last few. The place I was at literally had 20 some left, so I really dont see too much harm in flipping one.

Years of working for Gamestop has burned me on ebay and people flipping things. They way you did it seems fine, but the people buying up tons of them just to sit on them and flip later just chaps my ass so much. They will say they are "doing people a service. People want it and will pay for it. I am just giving them what they want!" When actually they are denying people that legitimately want it the chance to get it fair and square, and gouging them for it.

I dont want this to seem as a knock against you. When it is a random set like this that is slowly dying down, and there is plenty and you just grab one, it makes sense. Same with getting free exclusive figs like the TC14 or the upcoming Hulk figure. Those things were readily available for anyone. But people snatching up all the copies of something or multiples just to gouge someone later makes my blood boil.

Sorry, mini rant. But I know that many know where I am coming from.

darkwing

Years of working for Gamestop has burned me on ebay and people flipping things. They way you did it seems fine, but the people buying up tons of them just to sit on them and flip later just chaps my ass so much. They will say they are "doing people a service. People want it and will pay for it. I am just giving them what they want!" When actually they are denying people that legitimately want it the chance to get it fair and square, and gouging them for it.

I dont want this to seem as a knock against you. When it is a random set like this that is slowly dying down, and there is plenty and you just grab one, it makes sense. Same with getting free exclusive figs like the TC14 or the upcoming Hulk figure. Those things were readily available for anyone. But people snatching up all the copies of something or multiples just to gouge someone later makes my blood boil.

Sorry, mini rant. But I know that many know where I am coming from.

yeah hate people like that, been wanting that plane but too expensive now :(

Think I will snag that Sonic Boom from BN tomorrow then. Had no idea it was elusive until now. But gotta get those Jamie designed sets. Always a blast.

What's with this Jamie Berard dude? Is he the next coming of Lego or something? I've seem people praising him a lot lately.

Tower Bridge
Almost all the modular sets (except Town Hall and I think maybe Market Street or something. Although he did the roof of Town Hall, and you can tell because it is so much more awesome to assemble than the rest of the set.)
Upcoming Sopwith Camel

Dude just makes really great looking sets that are a hell of a lot of fun to put together. He uses some really neat techniques (dat brick texture and those offset windows on Fire Brigade) that make his work stand out.

Tower Bridge
Almost all the modular sets (except Town Hall and I think maybe Market Street or something. Although he did the roof of Town Hall, and you can tell because it is so much more awesome to assemble than the rest of the set.)
Upcoming Sopwith Camel

Dude just makes really great looking sets that are a hell of a lot of fun to put together. He uses some really neat techniques (dat brick texture and those offset windows on Fire Brigade) that make his work stand out.

Ah... I see. Sounds like I need to step up my Lego interests beyond Space, Castle & Star Wars themes.

I bought it just for parts, but finally decided to build Apple Tree House after having it for a month or so. So of course, Deadpool had to invade the happy home.

http://legodeadpool.tumblr.com/

Looking forward to getting the Hulk minfig so I can have the misadventures of Deadpool and Hulk on my Tumblr.

ghostmind

Jamie Berard is the lead designer of:

Fast Flyer
Cool Convertable
Green Grocer
Cafe Corner
Fire Brigade
Winter Toy Shop
The Emerald Night
The Grand Emporium
Tower Bridge
Pet Shop
Mini Modulars
Sopwith Camel (2012)
Sonic Boom (co-build)

Jamie started as an AFOL and a member of a LUG, where his work gained the attention of Ole Kirk's grandson, who hired him as a designer for LEGO. Jamie now is the Lead Designer for LEGO Exclusives.

Jamie Berard is the lead designer of:

Fast Flyer
Cool Convertable
Green Grocer
Cafe Corner
Fire Brigade
Winter Toy Shop
The Emerald Night
The Grand Emporium
Tower Bridge
Pet Shop
Mini Modulars
Sopwith Camel (2012)
Sonic Boom (co-build)

Jamie started as an AFOL and a member of a LUG, where his work gained the attention of Ole Kirk's grandson, who hired him as a designer for LEGO. Jamie now is the Lead Designer for LEGO Exclusives.

That is a crazy impressive resume. Of his sets that I have built, they are so neat to see come together and tons of fun. And all the neat little details he gets in there just make it more awesome. Very excited for his Sopwith Camel model.

That would be awesome, thanks.

or my deisign ;)
*stealth brag incoming*

So I've finished putting together my first MOC.

its a display case built into an IKEA Ribba Frame.

Originally I had a designed for 4x4 mini figs, i.e. exactly one set which would have cost slightly more in pieces but I ultimately decided to get more mini figs in.
It is still missing a plain 2hite cardbord back to cover the writing of the Ribba frame instructions but apart from that it is finished, and I really like it.
I really wanted a way to display them without having to worry about dusting them regularly, so putting them in a glass frame was a great Idea imho ^^
only problem now is the Frame is rather heavy, so a simple nail wont hold it, so I will need to get a drill to securely screw it to the wall.

Ended up ordering 979 Parts from Bricklink to build it, as all pieces are new and none are taken from my existing collection, as I don't plan to disassemble the thing any time soon.
In case anyone is interested I have attached both the model and Bricklink parts list for the models at the bottom of this post.
Also about 550 parts from two pick a brick cups I bought where used.

the 4x4 would have looked more detailed like this

Bricklink parts list
Model file

Bricklink parts list
Model file

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So pieces wise what is the best Creator set to get at the moment. Sonic Boom looks to have too many winglike pieces which I have enough of already.

So pieces wise what is the best Creator set to get at the moment. Sonic Boom looks to have too many winglike pieces which I have enough of already.

I belive the cool cruiser 5767 has a very good PPP value ~6cent per piece

you should be able to get a good bargain for it as its time running out.
and its a great build :)

wetwired

or my deisign ;)
*stealth brag incoming*

I like that design but I'm gonna have to go the cheaper route of just 2x2 white bricks glued to a white cardboard back. The Ribba frames are $50 in Australia and I think I'm going to need at least 3 of them to fit 7 series of minifigs plus assorted batman, marvel, potc, custom ghostbusters and upcoming lord of the rings minifigs.

I like that design but I'm gonna have to go the cheaper route of just 2x2 white bricks glued to a white cardboard back. The Ribba frames are $50 in Australia and I think I'm going to need at least 3 of them to fit 7 series of minifigs plus assorted batman, marvel, potc, custom ghostbusters and upcoming lord of the rings minifigs.

yea I understand.

My collection of minifigs has continuously grown, and I am currently thinking of new ways to display the new ones,
nothing concrete yet, but I too am looking for cheaper options ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom