• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debating about doing my first ever live stream of a build when my shuttle arrives. Also thought about doing a time lapse video of the entire build. Anyone know of a program for OSX that will do timelapse video using the built in camera?

woodypop

Debating about doing my first ever live stream of a build when my shuttle arrives. Also thought about doing a time lapse video of the entire build. Anyone know of a program for OSX that will do timelapse video using the built in camera?
I like the idea of a time lapse video!

jtkauff

There's the front cover that's just held down by some tape. The box I got had 2 pieces of tape but I think there was a third by the 24th cube that got ripped off. The person that took this one made it clear that the minifig was missing, the tab was bent and I could see inside. The packaging is 24 tabs with a plastic shell holding the bag of whatever is inside. If you cut the tape and look inside you should be able to see if any of the tabs were pulled open pretty easily then you could tape it back up. I could take a pic real quick if you'd like.

Thanks for the info - I should be good. I undid the tape on one of the sides and just pulled out the plastic shell, saw it was all there and put it back. My son won't even be 4 by next Christmas so he'll never notice. Now I just hope that I put it back in right-side up - I guess if Yoda shows up on Dec 3rd I'll know :)

Just turned off the livestream. Built for four hours. Had anywhere from 5 to 20 people. Had a blast! Will resume tomorrow. Thanks for dropping by everyone!

Chuck

Still without luck
Here is what I've built in the last 10 days. All fun, but the TIE Fighter was a little tedious and easy.

o3Pmil.jpg

(sorry for the crappy pic)

Next up, TIE Defender. :p

Just turned off the livestream. Built for four hours. Had anywhere from 5 to 20 people. Had a blast! Will resume tomorrow. Thanks for dropping by everyone!

I know the build is going to take forever when mine shows up. I plan on doing it on a day off. Wake up early, set up, and go. I can't leave it for another day because the cats will get into the pieces if I leave things in piles per bag.

And just downloaded a time lapse program, so I will plan on making a time lapse video when I build the shuttle. That way it will be short and to the point, with the occasional part where I just sit there and eat while staring at the screen.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I was at Target, minding my own business, perusing the toy aisle when I saw some Creator sets and just broke down... Just bought two, but I'll be back for more. After buying all the DC Superhero sets and not opening them, I had a craving to actually build something. The Creator sets seemed like a natural step.

d7jSD.jpg

The wheels under the wings of the plane are a pretty awesome build in themselves. Can't believe how these guys think up this stuff.

DiscoJon

Banned
Went to the Bellevue Lego store today, pretty overwhelming experience. Obama was in town so it was a zoo around the mall area with all the cops and people protesting. I met up with a friend for lunch at the mall and we scoped out the store. $400 Star Wars sets... Good lord. The running joke between us was "how many pieces of lego are in a kids mouth at any given time". Sure enough as I make my way over to the build a figure display, I see some kid taking apart his minifig WITH HIS TEETH. Needless to say I didn't look for the Mexican Wrestler minfig that I wanted. I ended up not buying anything, but I plan to stop at the store on my back home next week and grab something.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

So I'm here at my parents house for the weekend, and I've managed to find some of my sets from the late 80's early 90's. Mostly knights, space stuff (got a few Blacktron, and some wierd set with a guy in red with an "M" on his chest, no idea) and some pirate sets. I'll dust them off and put some photos up sometime tomorrow.

neonglow

Went to the Bellevue Lego store today, pretty overwhelming experience. Obama was in town so it was a zoo around the mall area with all the cops and people protesting. I met up with a friend for lunch at the mall and we scoped out the store. $400 Star Wars sets... Good lord. The running joke between us was "how many pieces of lego are in a kids mouth at any given time". Sure enough as I make my way over to the build a figure display, I see some kid taking apart his minifig WITH HIS TEETH. Needless to say I didn't look for the Mexican Wrestler minfig that I wanted. I ended up not buying anything, but I plan to stop at the store on my back home next week and grab something.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

So I'm here at my parents house for the weekend, and I've managed to find some of my sets from the late 80's early 90's. Mostly knights, space stuff (got a few Blacktron, and some wierd set with a guy in red with an "M" on his chest, no idea) and some pirate sets. I'll dust them off and put some photos up sometime tomorrow.

The guy with the M is from the M-Tron space sets.

http://brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Space&subtheme=M-Tron

So lucky.

When my folks moved to a new place about 5-6 years ago they gave away ALL of the LEGO I had. ;_;

I can't even remember all the sets we had, all I can remember was a nice looking Star Wars Snowspeeder, a super old giant alien ship, an old castle, and I can't even remember what else. They had long since been taken apart, but we had BUCKETS of pieces that are no more. :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Cool site, I'll have to take a look around.

Oh yeah! The one I found is #6877, The Vector Detector!
6877-1.jpg

I think I'll be able to put it back together using this as a reference.

Love Magnatron's color scheme, the neon antennas and the little magnet boxes and stuff :) As a kid, the 'space' line really was the best, Futuron, Blacktron, Magnatron, all of them were so awesome in their own way.

edit, then again, Robin Hood stuff was incredibly awesome, too. And Pirates. Oh god Lego.

DiscoJon

Banned
So what's the best way to clean old dusty Lego? I was thinking a can of computer duster might do the trick, does anyone have any other suggestions?

5KKv9.jpg

In the middle of our Diagon Alley build, wife seems to be having a decent time with her building

Very nice! I'm looking at ordering that from Amazon soon since I have a gift card and I got my tax money in the bank.

The only disappointment I have is that this is one of the only Harry Potter set that I think is any good. I like the Knight Bus, and Hagrid's Hut is OK, but the spider looks kinda lame (especially compared to the new LOTR Shelob set that's coming). Hogwarts is especially disappointing. Hopefully in time they'll release some better ones.

My suggestions for future Harry Potter sets:
-#4 Privet Drive (maybe with Dobby with the pudding and the Ford Anglia rescue)
-Chamber of Secrets
-More Diagon Alley shops (modular!)
-Azkaban
-Hogwarts ($200+ SUPER SET!)

Is there a database of all the lego models ever released by year?

I remember a friend of mine having a huge pirate ship that must have taken hours to put together, but that was back in 1994

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need a guide to opening Lego boxes. They all seem to have different mechanisms. The TIE fighter seems impossible to open without tearing something. Managed to prise it open enough to get the pieces out without damaging the box.

Chuckie

So what's the best way to clean old dusty Lego? I was thinking a can of computer duster might do the trick, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I usually wash them with water, except for the ones with prints. However I think compressed air would probably also work.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, at my parents' now, will go through a ginormous lego box later and post a few pics while sorting it :)

Anyone know if that Lego ISS is still available somewhere? It looks so cool :)

DiscoJon

Banned
Alright, at my parents' now, will go through a ginormous lego box later and post a few pics while sorting it :)

You're at the 'rents house as well this weekend? All right Bufbaf, I challenge you to make this weekend LEGEN...

...no, wait for it...

...DARY!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I caved.

XHTtA.jpg

Was going to get the hillside house, but all their boxes were pretty beat up, and I'm weird about stuff like that. Plus this was slightly under RRP.

I'm possibly more excited about this than I should be :)

so gaf do you keep the boxes?

the manuals sure, but the boxes would just clutter the place up needlessly..

I used to back when I got into SW lego the first time but recently I have not bothered. When I get the SSD I will keep that box and use it for storage but otherwise it's just dead space.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, here we go:

Smakz.jpg

Pretty much how I found it. So much stuff and non-Lego toy parts in this box, but still there's a bit of Lego in between:

hGYnH.jpg

..a tiny little bit. I also noticed I was a smart kid, found quite a few instruction booklets under all of that :)
Then I started sorting out all the crap and minifig parts..

MjqPR.jpg

and got a few guys watching me play like a little kid after that.

o0nUo.png

So yeah, Lego!

MnbMX.jpg

O2zrW.jpg

zjjUI.jpg

YvK3O.png

oh, and in case you're wondering - this is how far i got -.-

http://i.imgur.com/pBeQt.jpg

Bags? Numbered instructions? Pussies!

Another trip to Westfield means another Pick-A-Brick.

Did a bit of stacking but was running out of time so started stuffing parts into the gaps halfway through. The Lego Store has a big push on the VW Camper, it was stacked all over the shop. Might get it using my points once I have the SSD.

mPMNy.jpg

The stack on the left there was in my cup but the sales girl took it out and shut the lid, she then said I could keep it and stuck it in the carrier bag. Nice.

Dark Red Left Wing 6x2 22
Dark Red Right Wing 6x2 22
Dark Red plate 2x4 67
Dark Red Brick 2x4 40
Green Round Plate 1x1 83
Yellow Plate 1x4 45
Grey Hinge 108
Yellow Pate 1x2 Jumper 289

676 in total.

NzoBS.jpg

Leunam

Damn the Star Wars sets are nice. No TIE Interceptor though, which is my favorite fighter.

Anyway, here are some pics of a few of the sets I've bought lately.

Don't combine you say?

7dZBHl.jpg

NEVER!

F8oGkl.jpg

This nice little pile of red made this beast.

mtOAyl.jpg

Really fun build, about an hour or so. Nice detail in the back as well.

4yIkGl.jpg

Also bought this guy. Now that I've had my fun I'm going to take them apart and give them to my niece and nephew.

0usJjl.jpg

And this guy came in as I was typing this. Far bigger than I thought.

owzBUl.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lego stores in the UK have double VIP points for the first two weeks in March, plus a free TIE fighter if you spend over £50 during March, and they have a SW 'attack on the death star' theme going on from 5th March to 15th April. So 5th-15th March seems the ideal time to visit

So Slave I. It's on Amazon for $75, but I read somewhere that the MSRP IS $50. And my local Walmart didn't have it. Is it out of print or is there somewhere that I can get it at a reasonable price?

gate777

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Nice! Old school Space is the best LEGO.

You can use some warm water and mild dish detergent. NO BLEACH!

I caved.

http://i.imgur.com/XHTtA.jpg[/IMG

Was going to get the hillside house, but all their boxes were pretty beat up, and I'm weird about stuff like that. Plus this was slightly under RRP.

I'm possibly more excited about this than I should be :)[/QUOTE]

Nice. I picked this up last week. It's a fun build and the end product is really nice.

[quote="Bufbaf, post: 35250201"]Alright, here we go:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Smakz.jpg[/IMG

Pretty much how I found it. So much stuff and non-Lego toy parts in this box, but still there's a bit of Lego in between:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hGYnH.jpg[/IMG

..a tiny little bit. I also noticed I was a smart kid, found quite a few instruction booklets under all of that :)
Then I started sorting out all the crap and minifig parts..

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MjqPR.jpg[/IMG

and got a few guys watching me play like a little kid after that.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/o0nUo.png[/IMG

So yeah, Lego!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MnbMX.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/O2zrW.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zjjUI.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YvK3O.png[/IMG

oh, and in case you're wondering - this is how far i got -.-

[url]http://i.imgur.com/pBeQt.jpg[/url]

Bags? Numbered instructions? Pussies![/QUOTE]

Excellent! Always nice to see parents that didn't throw out all their kids' old LEGO sets. Looks like you had a blast!

[quote="Leunam, post: 35251105"]Also bought this guy. Now that I've had my fun I'm going to take them apart and give them to my niece and nephew.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0usJjl.jpg

I found this for $10 last week on clearance. Fun little build.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm done for today :D I guess an awful lot of pieces are missing, wasn't able to finish one of the 4,5 models I started, but I guess I'll try again tomorrow. So much fun, but now my knees hurt :>

kaskade

I was at Target, minding my own business, perusing the toy aisle when I saw some Creator sets and just broke down... Just bought two, but I'll be back for more. After buying all the DC Superhero sets and not opening them, I had a craving to actually build something. The Creator sets seemed like a natural step.

d7jSD.jpg

The wheels under the wings of the plane are a pretty awesome build in themselves. Can't believe how these guys think up this stuff.

That's how I felt. At first I was thinking, what is this little extra drop down thing for? ohhhhh lock the wheels into place.

I think my next set is either going to be the X-Wing or White House. I like the creator sets though, they seem to have a pretty good price per piece deal.

suaveric

Another trip to Westfield means another Pick-A-Brick.

Did a bit of stacking but was running out of time so started stuffing parts into the gaps halfway through. The Lego Store has a big push on the VW Camper, it was stacked all over the shop. Might get it using my points once I have the SSD.

mPMNy.jpg

The stack on the left there was in my cup but the sales girl took it out and shut the lid, she then said I could keep it and stuck it in the carrier bag. Nice.

Dark Red Left Wing 6x2 22
Dark Red Right Wing 6x2 22
Dark Red plate 2x4 67
Dark Red Brick 2x4 40
Green Round Plate 1x1 83
Yellow Plate 1x4 45
Grey Hinge 108
Yellow Pate 1x2 Jumper 289

676 in total.

NzoBS.jpg

They time you when doing pick a brick at the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom