• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Aaaaaaand I've hit a roadblock. Apparently the batch that my Fire Brigade is from is notorious for missing bags. Guess I need to give Lego a call.

Very nice! I'm looking at ordering that from Amazon soon since I have a gift card and I got my tax money in the bank.

The only disappointment I have is that this is one of the only Harry Potter set that I think is any good. I like the Knight Bus, and Hagrid's Hut is OK, but the spider looks kinda lame (especially compared to the new LOTR Shelob set that's coming). Hogwarts is especially disappointing. Hopefully in time they'll release some better ones.

My suggestions for future Harry Potter sets:
-#4 Privet Drive (maybe with Dobby with the pudding and the Ford Anglia rescue)
-Chamber of Secrets
-More Diagon Alley shops (modular!)
-Azkaban
-Hogwarts ($200+ SUPER SET!)

Harry Potter is finished now I believe.

Bought the X-wing today. My third Lego one :]

bedlamite

Aaaaaaand I've hit a roadblock. Apparently the batch that my Fire Brigade is from is notorious for missing bags. Guess I need to give Lego a call.
An entire bag was missing? Jesus.

Very nice! I'm looking at ordering that from Amazon soon since I have a gift card and I got my tax money in the bank.

The only disappointment I have is that this is one of the only Harry Potter set that I think is any good. I like the Knight Bus, and Hagrid's Hut is OK, but the spider looks kinda lame (especially compared to the new LOTR Shelob set that's coming). Hogwarts is especially disappointing. Hopefully in time they'll release some better ones.

My suggestions for future Harry Potter sets:
-#4 Privet Drive (maybe with Dobby with the pudding and the Ford Anglia rescue)
-Chamber of Secrets
-More Diagon Alley shops (modular!)
-Azkaban
-Hogwarts ($200+ SUPER SET!)

Yeah like Dr Zhivago said, the HP Lego franchise will come to an end this year. I read pretty much the same thing over at the Eurobricks forums. Too bad, I thought the universe was rich enough that we could have had a few more sets. Yes, Hogwarts looks absolutely woeful.

aaand in other news, 2 out of 3 buildings done!

FBZ9r.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A couple of hours building...underestimated how much is in this one!

h5Htc.jpg

Some really nice little details, have a new found appreciation for the designers too.

Will be almost a shame to tear it apart when I'm done for MOCs :p

edit - the only downer so far...no minifig in this set! I didn't realise until I opened it up.

Leunam

An entire bag was missing? Jesus.

Yep! Fortunately Lego is aware of the problem and knew exactly what I was talking about when I called. It's going to take a few weeks to get it out to me but it is on its way at least.

edit - the only downer so far...no minifig in this set! I didn't realise until I opened it up.

I'm sure you've got a Stormtrooper lying around that needs a home.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep! Fortunately Lego is aware of the problem and knew exactly what I was talking about when I called. It's going to take a few weeks to get it out to me but it is on its way at least.

Is there a quick way to check or do you only realise as you're building?

Not planning to build mine for a while but I'd like to check its all there

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I could not resist this little Toy Story set. So awesome. Makes me wanna scoop up the other sets before they're sold out now they're all discontinued.

R7QzH.jpg

Found a batch of around 30 minifigs (series 3) for $2 each (usually $4) on a local store, had to buy them all. Too bad I'm still missing some minifigs, from now on I'll get the complete series, not just the ones that look cool.

DiscoJon said:
So what's the best way to clean old dusty Lego? I was thinking a can of computer duster might do the trick, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Stick it all in a tightly zipped pillow case and hit it with the washing machine at minimal spin settings. Then just plonk them all out on a large dry towel and let them air dry.
Works like a charm providing you have a zipped pillow case ;)

Built my first Lego in ages, the X-wing Starfighter an hour or two ago.

However I have nowhere in my room to display it. I don't know what to do. So far it is just sitting next to my keyboard and mouse on my desk.

It feels so good building Lego again!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

This is the first set I've bought since I was a kid, and literally the only lego in the house! Dunno what happened to my childhood stuff, probably well gone by now.

I think I'll get a vehicle + minifig to go with this.

Argh i'm jealous. You all have discounts :/ The best we get is a 3 euro discount...fuck that :( And we don't even have a official lego store in the whole country so i have to drive 2hrs to Oberhausen for a Legostore :(

I wanted to buy the Creator Fire truck (it's been out of production I think) but couldn't find it. So i wanted the awesome new sonic boom...nowhere to be found....so I ended up buying nothing.

Plus the mini star wars planets aren't available in the Netherlands...you can buy it in Germany..you can buy it in Belgium...but not in the Netherlands......

I'm having a bad day...

How comes you guys in the USA have the number of bricks printed on the front of your boxes whilst us in the UK don't. I think it's a weird little distinction.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The removable roof of the Apple Tree House is really lovely...the roof window on the back was a nice surprise. Really great piece.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
do you guys plan your MOCs or just start building and see where it goes? How do you plan, if you do?

Alright, at my parents' now, will go through a ginormous lego box later and post a few pics while sorting it :)

Anyone know if that Lego ISS is still available somewhere? It looks so cool :)

I'll be house sitting in a few weeks and this is exactly what I'm going to do the whole time, it's a little ridiculous how excited I am to dig into my old Lego.

Nitemare1

do you guys plan your MOCs or just start building and see where it goes? How do you plan, if you do?

I'm kind of in the planning stages of a couple of Wipeout MOC's. Mostly looking at pics of the ships and seeing what stands out as something that could be built and then going from there. Putting small sections together to get an idea of size and stuff like that.

Well guys I caved...while it may be a very small cave I did buy my first Lego set in many many years thanks to this thread. Went by Target and saw the Endor Battle Pack for 12 and couldn't pass it up. I did stare at the Tie Fighter for a while but I may wait for it to go on sale again. Just placed a order on Amazon for the Snow Tropper battle pack as well....what can I say? I love me some Stormtroppers
3AQmK.gif

Damn this amazing thread and how weak it makes me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Couldn't decide which set to build next. Decided on the pet shop, then last minute went for the fire brigade, which is odd as I wasn't that keen on buying it originally

Nicely it has numbered bags and the build is neatly split between two instruction books, so I can let my son join in if he finishes Queen annes revenge quickly

Leunam

Is there a quick way to check or do you only realise as you're building?

Not planning to build mine for a while but I'd like to check its all there

Check the clear tape that seals the box closed. It will have a four digit code on it. Apparently, batches that have code 39R1 are the ones affected. You'll be missing a bag with a 1 on it, most likely. When I called Lego, they had heard of this problem and knew which bag to send. I'll know in a few weeks if they were right or not.

Smallest Sandcrawler ever built!

The wings rotate freely.

View of the cockpit

Finished, in attack mode. The missiles in the middle fire if you press the orange button on the bottom.

Anyone that's built this know what these pieces are for??

moai

i think you can use them to turn boba into a clone commander. i don't understand why you would want to that or why did they include those pieces.........?

Decided to dip my toe into the Creator world. Picked up a bunch of little sets at Target, all around $12-20 apart from the Log Cabin ($36).

idSbG.jpg

lego stores in the UK have double VIP points for the first two weeks in March, plus a free TIE fighter if you spend over £50 during March, and they have a SW 'attack on the death star' theme going on from 5th March to 15th April. So 5th-15th March seems the ideal time to visit

Excellent, now I know when I can buy my SSD and with the points use them towards the VW so should get two free TIE Fighter's if I play my cards right.

They time you when doing pick a brick at the store?

The store has no time limit but my wife, and I to a lesser extent, does. If they had more parts I would have done a couple of large cups but they've not changed much in the last 3 visits. Having said that at least they had both left and right wings this time. So often it's just one or the other.

Chuckie

The store has no time limit but my wife, and I to a lesser extent, does. If they had more parts I would have done a couple of large cups but they've not changed much in the last 3 visits. Having said that at least they had both left and right wings this time. So often it's just one or the other.

Could you explain the concept of Pick-a-brick? Are you just walking around the store putting bricks in a cup and then the cassier puts them in bags and you pay?

And why did you buy so much red wings and green 'dots'? Do you have some MOC in mind.

I stopped by the Lego Store at the Glendale Galleria this morning...you know it's a bad idea when you can feel your wallet burning the moment you walk in, hahaha...

Purely evil store, I ended up walking out with this:

VlH5z.jpg

This is ultimately the reason why I skipped out getting the small SW Lego sets at Target the other day =P

I also bought the Creator 5673 Dune Hopper model to give to my godson/nephew.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
lego stores in the UK have double VIP points for the first two weeks in March, plus a free TIE fighter if you spend over £50 during March, and they have a SW 'attack on the death star' theme going on from 5th March to 15th April. So 5th-15th March seems the ideal time to visit

Free TIE Fighter? Which set?

Could you explain the concept of Pick-a-brick? Are you just walking around the store putting bricks in a cup and then the cassier puts them in bags and you pay?

And why did you buy so much red wings and green 'dots'? Do you have some MOC in mind.

You got it right, you walk around putting your bricks in one of two cup sizes (large = £11, small = £6) and then you take it to the cashier who will put stickers on to fasten the lid.

Depending on the cashier some allow the lid to be a little off, others demand it closes fully.

The green dots are mostly just to fill space but I have about 400 of them so want to incorporate them into a MOC somehow but not sure how just yet. Thery are also useful for closing hidden 1x1 holes in internal structures.

The wings are always useful as they are 1. wings and 2. the best colour ever.

I also plan on using these as inspiration for a large SHiP.

KqNHc.jpg

AtNEB.jpg

Leunam

Built the top half of the Fire Brigade since that's all I can do at the moment what with the missing bag. This just makes the wait harder because it was such a fun build. The "1932" on the front was a brilliant bit of construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom