• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question about the Bricklink website.

It seems to be like an ebay for Lego, where both new and used bricks can be bought from hundreds of suppliers. But how do we know the sellers can be trusted? I mean it seems like it would be easy for some random seller to collect fees and never ship anything, who is stopping that from happening?

I guess, in short, anyone buy stuff from Bricklink? Good or bad experience? Any problems?

I'm pretty sure all the sellers on there have ratings, so best to buy from high rated guys.

oneHeero

Despie my zero interest in Star Wars sets, that millennium falcon is really really cool...I love the interior decoration a lot.

Thanks alot! I thought it looked real cool. I've never been into SW but the lego is cool looking. Fire brigade is next. Going to grab the space shuttle expedition or GE/pet shop next. All because of this thread lol.

do you guys put the stickers on? i dont expect to resale these anytime soon (years) but curious if using stickers would matter. I haven't.

Fox Mulder

Quick question about the Bricklink website.

It seems to be like an ebay for Lego, where both new and used bricks can be bought from hundreds of suppliers. But how do we know the sellers can be trusted? I mean it seems like it would be easy for some random seller to collect fees and never ship anything, who is stopping that from happening?

I guess, in short, anyone buy stuff from Bricklink? Good or bad experience? Any problems?

they have feedback scores like on ebay. I've done 15 transactions on the site with some large orders, and they've all been smooth.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks alot! I thought it looked real cool. I've never been into SW but the lego is cool looking. Fire brigade is next. Going to grab the space shuttle expedition or GE/pet shop next. All because of this thread lol.

do you guys put the stickers on? i dont expect to resale these anytime soon (years) but curious if using stickers would matter. I haven't.

I used to not do any of my stickers, but after the T1 Van, I changed my mind. When I disassemble, I just keep the pieces with stickers in a separate container.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
they have feedback scores like on ebay. I've done 15 transactions on the site with some large orders, and they've all been smooth.

Yeah, I just noticed the ratings. I guess the sellers I looked at a while ago just weren't rated at all, heh. Site is a bit confusing to navigate, but the prices are MUCH less than the official Lego site. Seems like a good place to buy from though.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, I just noticed the ratings. I guess the sellers I looked at a while ago just weren't rated at all, heh. Site is a bit confusing to navigate, but the prices are MUCH less than the official Lego site. Seems like a good place to buy from though.

yeah, the site is a little confusing, but it's great.

It's perfect for buying stuff in bulk, but I've found that some rare or specific color pieces for my set were cheaper from Lego themselves.

UCS Yoda complete!

TvIDt.jpg

I found this for 12$ locally today -

91rnDg7WSvL._AA1500_.jpg

I think I may get all of the DC sets. They're not that expensive compared to Star Wars and other sets. As an added bonus, they also work well with the City sets!

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
At $12, that's a steal - that's my favourite of the Super Hero sets. I've got Batmobile and Batcave and really this Superman set stands out to me as the best value, design and play potential.

Due to the price of the others, I'm waiting to pick them up in the US when over in early March.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I think I may get all of the DC sets. They're not that expensive compared to Star Wars and other sets. As an added bonus, they also work well with the City sets!

I got this last week. I think it may be retailer exclusive though- I know i've had trouble finding it in the UK. Love the Harley fig!

The DC sets seem pretty good, but i'm excited too about the Marvel wave :)

Built the x-wing today. Like the Tie fighter, it's so much better than the previous versions. I'll have to put up a pic of the family :)
Incidentally, putting R2 in sideways means the fuselage can be narrower at that point - the old version is a bit chubby round there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just finished the ground floor of the Grand Emporium. Nice relaxed build, and the set being broken up into three floors makes managing bags a little easier. The smooth tiles on the baseplate will be a bitch to remove when I'm done though.

do you guys plan your MOCs or just start building and see where it goes? How do you plan, if you do?

This is a good question. I tried to plan a little on this one as it's my first big one. I did a little research on SHiPs that inspire me, I tried but gave up on LDD so went over to paper to sketch a rough outline of what I wanted but at the end of the day I'm back to seeing how it goes as I build.

The main frame (also first time I have tried to build with a frame rather than just going at it) has changed a little but I have moved onto the top cover now. Not sure which direction to go for right now so while I wait for the right colour pieces to come in from BrickLink I'll decide between the two shown below.

Cover not angled; I like this as I can then do a sharper angle up to the middle section.

jMSod.jpg

oIILG.jpg

Cover angled; this has a more sleek look which is obviously very nice.

VBZro.jpg

aGU2S.jpg

Both ways have mandibles and the hole will be filled with a cockpit slotting in kinda how the ISD works.

What do you all think? To angle or not to angle?

Also working on a small MOC; this is the front of the ship (it's detachable ala Futuron). The backend is done more or less bar a few finishing touches.

ZfDXU.jpg

And apart from the USC X-Wing this is the only other set I have on display;

DZYPp.jpg

And what a beauty it is.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I got this last week. I think it may be retailer exclusive though- I know i've had trouble finding it in the UK. Love the Harley fig!

The DC sets seem pretty good, but i'm excited too about the Marvel wave :)

Where'd you get it? It's hard to find over here in the UK, yeah - out of stock at lego.com half of the time, and a TRU-exclusive otherwise, it seems.

US folks - is this set (Dynamic Duo Funhouse) in all stores?

And - where's the best place to get Lego in and around San Francisco?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Where'd you get it? It's hard to find over here in the UK, yeah - out of stock at lego.com half of the time, and a TRU-exclusive otherwise, it seems.

The S@H UK website. I went to pick it up after January but they said there would be a waiting time- figured i'd order and wait it out- I think it's going to be one of the first to disappear.

Also, with the previous Batman sets a few years ago the Joker fig currently goes for high prices, so I thought i'd get the figs when I could. If you can find it somewhere just go and order.

woodypop

I found this for 12$ locally today -

Great price on that set! I think it's my favorite of the DC Super Heroes line so far.

DSC01484.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

My daughter's 5th birthday party Lego haul. The Friends line went over super well with her. I see more of those in her future. We'll be putting the 2 Friends sets together first. The two Clone War sets that I got on sale were also given to her after her party was over.

7ae71046.jpg

oneHeero

My daughter's 5th birthday party Lego haul. The Friends line went over super well with her. I see more of those in her future. We'll be putting the 2 Friends sets together first. The two Clone War sets that I got on sale were also given to her after her party was over.

7ae71046.jpg

Please tell me how the Clone Turbo Tank goes. I really wanted that one.

woodypop

I retrieved out of the garage a couple LEGO sets from my youth.

Tri-Star Voyager - Spaceship that separates into two modules. Two small clear red 1x1 smooth tiles broke, prolly because they were brittle from age. =(

From the $5.49 price tag, this 66-piece set came out to about $0.08/piece. Things haven't changed too much in about 30 years.

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

Space Supply Station - I remember loving this because it hit all the right points for me: land vehicles, air vehicles, and base structure. No broken pieces in this one!

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01490.jpg

I had some older sets (including the Beta-1 Command Base), but I'm not sure if I kept them. =/
Will have to do some more digging in the garage.

All done with the Imperial Shuttle. I had a blast building it. It's just a gigantic piece! My wife even had to admit it looked beautiful after seeing the finished thing.

Took a bunch of photos, I"ll post some of them.

I *love* all the gears, the engineering here is awesome!
lego1.jpg

lego2.jpg

lego3.jpg

Having my son help was great but also challenging at times. He's nearly 3 years old and often wanted to just stick lego anywhere.
lego4.jpg

lego5.jpg

lego6.jpg

lego7.jpg

Wife is not into Lego and even less into Star Wars, but she thought the finished product
looked awesome.
lego8.jpg

lego9.jpg

lego10.jpg

lego11.jpg

lego12.jpg

lego13.jpg

lego14.jpg

lego15.jpg

lego16.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They give you lander legs for the Shuttle, like anyone's going to display it without the wings down in glorious flight mode.

Total newb question:

I have 4 sets that I recently built. What would be the easiest way to use the pieces from each to play with together but then be able to re-separate them into individual sets later? Is it pretty much impossible without just sorting for hours using the piece lists?

I suppose only 2 of the sets share a lot of colors (X-Wing and the Creator propeller plane are both mostly red and white), so I could always separate by color quickly.

Any insight from longtime AFOLs?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Total newb question:

I have 4 sets that I recently built. What would be the easiest way to use the pieces from each to play with together but then be able to re-separate them into individual sets later? Is it pretty much impossible without just sorting for hours using the piece lists?

I suppose only 2 of the sets share a lot of colors (X-Wing and the Creator propeller plane are both mostly red and white), so I could always separate by color quickly.

Any insight from longtime AFOLs?

For such a low number of sets, best way is honestly just to build the original sets when you're done.

Syckx

Finally put together my Batmobile Ultimate Collector's Edition my wife bought me four years ago. Haven't done a build in years, and now I'm looking for what's next.

Apparently, this Batmobile was actually worth something. Not that I would sell anything my wife bought me, but it certainly gave me some pause. Haha.

Hit the Toys R Us for their BOGO today. TRU LEGO prices are a rip-off but with the 50% off I managed to make a decent saving on some sets I have been wanting, particularly Hillside House and Apple Tree House!

pgXy4.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TRU is only good for Lego purchases during BOGO 50% sales. Otherwise, the up charge is too ridiculous. Mind me asking Gary, but what did that purchase run you? And what was your savings from buying each separate?

ghostmind

We finished up the dragon boat this weekend. A bit complicated in parts (the rigging) for young hands.

eQy7j.jpg

MkNog.jpg

It also converts to an airship!

P60JY.jpg

All done with the Imperial Shuttle. I had a blast building it. It's just a gigantic piece! My wife even had to admit it looked beautiful after seeing the finished thing.

Took a bunch of photos, I"ll post some of them.

I *love* all the gears, the engineering here is awesome!

Please tell me there are no rubber bands in the wing mechanism. The gears pic makes me think there is, but I pray there isnt.

Hero

Has anyone actually seen the Modular sets at TRU B&M stores?

Would pick up Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade during the sale but they're both sold out online.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Please tell me there are no rubber bands in the wing mechanism. The gears pic makes me think there is, but I pray there isnt.

Nope all gears It uses a 2x1 shaft gear to help offset the wings weight so you have to use the cranks in the back to raise and lower the wings, no need to worry about them coming down on their own.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has anyone actually seen the Modular sets at TRU B&M stores?

Would pick up Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade during the sale but they're both sold out online.

I have never seen a large set like that at TRU. The only large sets i've ever seen at my TRU is the occasional Star Wars UCS, and only at Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom