• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge came back in stock at ToysRUs.com last night so I pulled the trigger. I'm not super keen on Tower Bridge but it was the only thing in stock that I wanted and would give me GE at half price. We'll see what else comes back in stock and I might see what I can return or exchange the Tower Bridge for another of the big sets (without losing the discount on GE, that is) if I'm able.

Super-excited to build the Grand Emporium though - it's my first modular. Hoping to be able to pick up the Fire Brigade come the turn of the month as well, should make for a nice little beginning of a modular street.

Be quick, Fire Brigade is probably going to get cancelled soon, especially with Town Hall coming out on March 1.

jtkauff

Ridiculously expensive scale models of businesses that can be set up together to form a quaint little "downtown".

Actually at a price-per-piece they're a great deal - they just happen to include 2000+ pieces. I've always used 10 cents/piece as a good baseline for if the set is a good deal, and the current 3 modulars ($150 each) hover around 7 cents/piece. Some of the iconic Star Wars ships (the new TIE and X-wing, for instance) are 11-13 cents/piece, and even non-licensed stuff like Pharaoh's Quest can get into the 16 cents/piece range without much trouble.

Of course once you start looking at out of print stuff, yeah, gets pretty ridiculous when you're looking at a full, boxed set with instructions, but that's the fault of the fans paying the prices and not the original retail price for the sets.

Edit: Jeez, yeah, forgot about Architecture sets. Empire State Building: 26 cents/piece, John Hancock Center: 29 c/p, Willis (Sears) Tower: 29 c/p, and the winner, Seattle Space Needle at 35 cents/piece. That's 57 pieces at $19.99.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Planning on sorting tomorrow, so very close- the closest i've ever been to an organised collection.

After that's done it's build, build, build.

Fox Mulder

If you compare them to the Star Wars Sets, they don't seem to be that expensive.

All of them have more than 2000 pieces.

I kind of wish I went down the modular building road instead of getting the ucs falcon off bricklink. They look great, can be displayed together, and I already have a bunch of the collectible bagged minifigs that I could use to populate them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I kind of wish I went down the modular building road instead of getting the ucs falcon off bricklink. They look great, can be displayed together, and I already have a bunch of the collectible bagged minifigs that I could use to popular them.

Can you buy the stickers for the USC falcon, or just going to be without those?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Planning on sorting tomorrow, so very close- the closest i've ever been to an organised collection.

After that's done it's build, build, build.

Yup - I posted pictures of my progress last night. I'm literally there...It's so close I can taste it, and once it's finished. <3 <3 <3

I kind of wish I went down the modular building road instead of getting the ucs falcon off bricklink. They look great, can be displayed together, and I already have a bunch of the collectible bagged minifigs that I could use to popular them.

I am kinda confused with the Bricklink site. Where could I look at prices for the UCS Falcon set?

Deefuzz

Well, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge came back in stock at ToysRUs.com last night so I pulled the trigger. I'm not super keen on Tower Bridge but it was the only thing in stock that I wanted and would give me GE at half price. We'll see what else comes back in stock and I might see what I can return or exchange the Tower Bridge for another of the big sets (without losing the discount on GE, that is) if I'm able.

Super-excited to build the Grand Emporium though - it's my first modular. Hoping to be able to pick up the Fire Brigade come the turn of the month as well, should make for a nice little beginning of a modular street.

You must be VERY lucky.

I never see any high end stuff available to order during these sales. I always thought TRU intentionally brought them to "Out of stock for shipping" during these sales.

Would have loved to get the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, or Tower Bridge for this sale. None of them have showed available for me at any time, and still don't. :(

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I am kinda confused with the Bricklink site. Where could I look at prices for the UCS Falcon set?

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=68171

From there you can see the stores listing it, the completion of it, how new it is, or go back to the catalog entry of the set itself where you can view the inventory etc

Bricklink's a bitch of a site to use initially, but six years later, i'd be lying if I didn't say it had been one of the most vital resources to me as both a buyer and builder.

Can you buy the stickers for the USC falcon, or just going to be without those?
When I requested another set of stickers for my X-Wing (mine came bent up and had come away from the backing) they emailed me to ask for the Proof of Purchase. Their form email said that due to licensing restrictions they could not sell extra stickers.

jtkauff

You must be VERY lucky.

I never see any high end stuff available to order during these sales. I always thought TRU intentionally brought them to "Out of stock for shipping" during these sales.

Would have loved to get the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, or Tower Bridge for this sale. None of them have showed available for me at any time, and still don't. :(

My best recommendation is to keep checking. Apparently all three modulars were in-stock in the middle of the night at some point. I believe they do their restock during graveyard shift, and they seem to have gotten a truck in last night (at least) - apparently GE showed up first, then TB 30 minutes later. They were out of stock again when I went to sleep at 2am EST and were available between then and when I got to work at 8am. Seems to me that is indicative of workers unloading stock, then selling out, then unloading more stock, etc. Sometimes status updates will get posted to this thread on the Brickset forum, but I just keep reloading whenever I get a chance.

Apparently the first night it went live all of the modulars and Tower Bridge were out of stock within the first hour of the sale, so I think it's just an issue of low stock and hundreds of AFOLs jumping on it at the same time.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=68171

From there you can see the stores listing it, the completion of it, how new it is, or go back to the catalog entry of the set itself where you can view the inventory etc

Bricklink's a bitch of a site to use initially, but six years later, i'd be lying if I didn't say it had been one of the most vital resources to me as both a buyer and builder.

Holy Hell @ those prices. Thanks!

Deefuzz

My best recommendation is to keep checking. Apparently all three modulars were in-stock in the middle of the night at some point. I believe they do their restock during graveyard shift, and they seem to have gotten a truck in last night (at least) - apparently GE showed up first, then TB 30 minutes later. They were out of stock again when I went to sleep at 2am EST and were available between then and when I got to work at 8am. Seems to me that is indicative of workers unloading stock, then selling out, then unloading more stock, etc. Sometimes status updates will get posted to this thread on the Brickset forum, but I just keep reloading whenever I get a chance.

Apparently the first night it went live all of the modulars and Tower Bridge were out of stock within the first hour of the sale, so I think it's just an issue of low stock and hundreds of AFOLs jumping on it at the same time.

Oh wow. Ok good to know others are out there watching it like a hawk.

Thanks for the tips. Probably wont happen for me during this sale, but at least if I go through S@H I can still get my VIP points. :)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm LEGO'd out for now. I just put this thing together last night...

5893-1.jpg

and my back is killing me, haha.

I've been putting together a set a night for the past few days and spending way too much money on these things, so I'm calling it quits until the new Marvel sets come out.

No, for ridiculous see Star Wars and Architecture sets. The modulars are pretty reasonable.

Granted those two lines have a huge markup, but I still think the Modular sets are overpriced.

I would actually contend that most sets are 10-20% more expensive than they should be, and that is probably exacerbated by the Modular's already high price.

woodypop

5893-1.jpg

I've been putting together a set a night for the past few days and spending way too much money on these things, so I'm calling it quits until the new Marvel sets come out.
That's actually a pretty cool set.

I need to slow down with my purchases, too. I've got several sets in my backlog that still need putting together, but I'm running out of room!!!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Granted those two lines have a huge markup, but I still think the Modular sets are overpriced.

I would actually contend that most sets are 10-20% more expensive than they should be, and that is probably exacerbated by the Modular's already high price.

I don't think anyone would argue that they are expensive, but the fact of the matter is, you get a good price per piece ratio, a good number of specialized pieces, a reasonable selection of minifigs, and a highly detailed display piece.

I don't believe that the sets are 10-20% more expensive than they should be, as you put it. Where do you get that notion from? Mega Blocks pricing structure? The quality of the Lego product and the work that goes into the sets merit the price you pay. There are also some sets that are (in my opinion) UNDERPRICED, such as the new sports car creator set.

E: This refers to the modulars. The architecture line DOES have an unusually high markup, but the same could be argued for the Star Wars line (on some of the smaller to mid-range sets).

I keep reading reviews that this build is pretty flimsy and tends to fall apart as you are building it.

Have you noticed the same or is that FUD?

This is next on my list so figure it's worth looking in to.

Thanks!

I had no problems with it falling apart. If you build a lot of LEGO sets you are used to fully snapping together every piece and it's not an issue. My only complaints are that while the playability is there, with tons of compartments and 3 sets of different weapons (one of them being functional missiles), it is kind of cumbersome to pick up and hold so the swoosh factor isn't there as much as it is for the X-Wing, Y-Wing, etc.

I would definitely recommend getting it though. The build was fun and interesting, the colors are vibrant and the thing is damn beautiful when fully assembled.

One more minor gripe is that with the Boba minifig in the cockpit, the wings no longer turn 360 degrees, as his helmet gets caught on the roof of the cockpit and blocks the wings from turning. That's even with his helmet antenna removed. It doesn't really bother me, though, as Slave I is going to spend most of its time sitting on my shelf and not flying through the air :)

Deefuzz

Did another 8-bit build today.

EPIC BATTLE!
WMw1ll.jpg

I didn't have flesh colored bricks, nor two different shades of blue. So I just made up a color scheme to follow on Mega Man. Still recognizable though.

Awesome stuff man! Do you do pick-a-brick for these? Or do you buy the big tubs of just regular Lego bricks (non sets) to do these?

Awesome stuff man! Do you do pick-a-brick for these? Or do you buy the big tubs of just regular Lego bricks (non setes) to do these?

I just dug through my old collection of space sets and built with what I had. I just used a picture if the original sprite for reference and built from there.

I don't believe that the sets are 10-20% more expensive than they should be, as you put it. Where do you get that notion from? Mega Blocks pricing structure? The quality of the Lego product and the work that goes into the sets merit the price you pay. There are also some sets that are (in my opinion) UNDERPRICED, such as the new sports car creator set.

I can only say it's overpriced based on the utility I get from it, obviously. I'm not comparing it to other building systems. For example if those two x-wing looking models were $65 each instead of $80, there's a great chance I'd buy both as opposed to hohumming over just one.

I understand it's a completely subjective viewpoint; likely it isn't shared by a lot of folks here. I'm just throwing it out there.

Machine

God damn this thread. I just broke down and ordered the VW camper van from the Lego website. My first set since I was about 12 years old. I have enough expensive hobbies already!

wetwired

5893-1.jpg

Haha, I get a sore back too, I am 6"4' and sit at the coffee table doing it and pretty much never have back problems

Fox Mulder

yeah. I've had some smooth transactions with almost all of the sellers. Sometimes an order is one or two off, but I'm ordering in bulk quantities. That's why I just add a few to my order as a buffer to inaccurate counts. I've also had sellers throw in a few pieces for free, which is nice.

I've found that you can get good deals on there too. I was able to get most of the parts for the UCS falcon for pretty much what it sold at retail, minus three of the rare/expensive pieces.

Just came back from the best Walmart trip ever. They had aisles of clearance and I found these 4(!) Lego sets, which were all half off the marked price.
Black Pearl - $50

Titanium Command Rig - $50

Scorpion's Pyramid - $25

Jet Copter Encounter - $9.50

And this is after I got this for my birthday on Monday:

which my boyfriend and I are actually building live (in segments) on justintv. Here's the link if anybody wants to tune in http://justin.tv/rockhstrongo

I keep reading reviews that this build is pretty flimsy and tends to fall apart as you are building it.

Have you noticed the same or is that FUD?

This is next on my list so figure it's worth looking in to.

Thanks!

I also did not think it was flimsy but I only have the x-wing to compare that to so far. I really enjoyed building it. It was a little difficult to sit Boba in his seat but only because the wings rotate so easily.

Deefuzz

Just came back from the best Walmart trip ever. They had aisles of clearance and I found these 4(!) Lego sets, which were all half off the marked price.
Black Pearl - $50[/URL]

I've heard rumors of that ringing up for $50 at Target. I keep checking and nothing.

I missed out on the 50% off Slave 1 at Wal-Mart during the holidays.

Hopefully I can have SOME sort of luck with this one at Wal-Mart...Really wanting this one.

neonglow

These are my pickups for the week. Had to get fire brigade since it's going OOP soon. Got the shuttle and public transport at TRU.

6924519797_5bb693cb73_z.jpg

6899958973_3ebf0bbc9f_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom