• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any specifics on the release date of the Minecraft set, or is Summer 2012 all we have to go on? I'm thinking it'll be a nice and affordable set to have for mini-scale stuff.

TANKS!
Looks like summer 2012 is all we've got so far.

The new set, which was the first to receive 10,000 votes of support from users on the global LEGO CUUSOO idea collection platform, will be available for purchase in summer 2012, but can be pre-ordered from today, exclusively through Mojang retail partner Jinx.com for $34.95/€34.95/£34.99 at http://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft. The sets will also be sold in select LEGO brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop from summer 2012.

Perfect thanks!

xg3OG.jpg

I've just put my final order in so should be able to get building soon. If only I had ordered the all gears first I could actually start now.

I think you ended up getting extra pieces to one of the clone trooper minifigs because thats the gear for like an Arc Trooper. Since not intended to get them they arent painted etc

I got them too in my Slave I set. They're in the instruction manual and everything! It also came with some extra blasters and some torpedo things. I'd post a pic but I'm at work.

Don't think I will be doing a time lapse of the Imperial Shuttle build. I am too lazy to clear out my dining room table of junk to have an area where my computer can see. Still waiting for UPS to deliver it. Bastards run late when you are really anxious for something dont they?

Did another 8-bit build today.

The front:
ebYBXl.jpg

The back (much more streamlined from the Cutman build):
BUqzHl.jpg

EPIC BATTLE!
WMw1ll.jpg

I didn't have flesh colored bricks, nor two different shades of blue. So I just made up a color scheme to follow on Mega Man. Still recognizable though.

Nitemare1

Looks like Lego.com is getting some updates. Just noticed the star wars and creator sections have a fancy front end page since the last time i was there.

wetwired

Haha just got asked by Lego to change the main image of the medic bot...
Hi Brent. You have a nice model and great idea, but please change the main image and don't depict the minifigure dismembered and bleeding. It isn't appropriate for the site.

wetwired

Hey wetwired, in your costume corner (which looks awesome), where did you get that all gray minifig? I've seen a few people using solid color figs and I'm jealous...

Its not really an all grey one, it's a zombie with its torso and head backwards with some grey hands, hair and legs

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I started putting up parts list for the Sarigar spacecraft, but I got stumbled fairly early on this part. It's like a plate or (curved?) slope with two protruding studs on top of it.

dbdMVkZcxeoB2Q.jpg

What on Earth is this thing? In desperation I searched for "2 x 2" on Bricklink and thousands results later I still couldn't find it. Then I searched for "1 x 2" and "2 x 1" and still nothing.

Here's another angle:

dbdJnGlVJ6u396.jpg

I started putting up parts list for the Sarigar spacecraft, but I got stumbled fairly early on this part. It's like a plate or (curved?) slope with two protruding studs on top of it.

dbdMVkZcxeoB2Q.jpg

What on Earth is this thing? In desperation I searched for "2 x 2" on Bricklink and thousands results later I still couldn't find it. Then I searched for "1 x 2" and "2 x 1" and still nothing.

Here's another angle:

dbdJnGlVJ6u396.jpg

It's this; http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47457

In the immortal words of Duffman, "OH, YEAH!"

AmS35cyCQAEWymA.jpg

My, god. So many bags. This is the largest set I have ever put together in my life. So excited.
I will take some in progress pics and post them all when done. See you all on the other side.

AmS5KwgCEAIOz-R.jpg

Nitemare1

Crappy quality cellphone pics of the last 3 sets I did. Probably all going to be disassembled soon to go into the moc inventory.

IMAG0325.jpg

First attempt at creating a new front end for the waterbomber wasn't great but I got a few good ideas in the process for the next revision. I also moved the engines closer to the body and shortened the pontoon brackets to look more like a real CL-215 (waterbomber). I think I might try to add the wheel landing gear as well. Main thing was I had a blast just fooling around and trying to figure some thing out. Even if it does look worse than the original front LOL

IMAG0327.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally got some pics of my sorting. Quoted for size.

This is what I currently have sorted.
FsbPK.jpg

Here's some random pre-sort stuff and extra containers. Also, sealed Fire Brigade in the background.
RoxSH.jpg

And this is what I'm currently going through. The open top square container are all the pieces I've found while sorting the pre-sort that made it into the wrong bin. The rectangular one with the lime green piece are all finger hinge bricks. And the big pile of pieces is the Tower Bridge disassembled. -_-
221qM.jpg

Quick question about Bricklink. Looking at the sellers store terms they usually mention a longer time for large "lots". Is that the same as quantity of a piece I'm looking at? So if I wanted to order 50 pieces of an available 100 pieces, is that considered 50 lots I'm purchasing?

And is their any way to find the weight of individual pieces so I could sort of calculate shipping costs?

Man, that Imperial Shuttle is so fucking fun. Unfortunately, I am bushed and need to wake up early in the morning. All I need to do is build the wings and I am set. I put in about 5 hours into the build so far. UPS did not deliver until about 640 or so tonight, so I got a late start. And there was no way in hell this was going to sit in my house for a few days until I had another day off.

Progress so far:
The cartoonishly large box:
HiOWfl.jpg

So many bags...
00pz6l.jpg

Beginning the wing mechanics:
IWlRrl.jpg

Got my Star Wars on while building. Seemed as good an excuse as any, and the wife was not home to complain about the sound blasting:
8Ge81l.jpg

The mechanics come together more:
m1M8Wl.jpg

Body structure coming together:
O53LPl.jpg

By7Wll.jpg

This seemed like a good stopping point for the night:
lNi1Kl.jpg

lP9Uwl.jpg

That was about five hours of building, with a dinner break in between. I will finish it up after work tomorrow night.

Mirk

Quick question about Bricklink. Looking at the sellers store terms they usually mention a longer time for large "lots". Is that the same as quantity of a piece I'm looking at? So if I wanted to order 50 pieces of an available 100 pieces, is that considered 50 lots I'm purchasing?

And is their any way to find the weight of individual pieces so I could sort of calculate shipping costs?

Pretty sure that lots means large orders with many different peices. I wouldn't really worry about shipping all to much unless your ordering HUGE amounts. I have bought 300+ orders and it was still under 10$ for shipping.

Chuckie

I've bought my childhood favorite: The Alienator. No box, but onlu 8 euro so that's ok.

(sorry for crap cellphone pics)

20120222_190359.jpg

20120222_190434.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thank you! And how did i not see it in 2x2 reaults... I'll probably have to ask a few more questions like this by the endo of this task, but my plan is to produce a bricklink compatible XML that should make ordering a breeze, so it should be worth it in the end.

That'd be fantastic. do you need to make any custom stickers? if so any advice on what stock to print them on would be good too. and any tips from your build

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally got some pics of my sorting. Quoted for size.

so most of your stuff is in sealable boxes? How are they stored in that cupboard behind you - does that let you pull out a lower box or are they just piled on top of each other?

Do you find it annoying to have to open lots of different boxes when you need pieces? We have open drawers for bricks/plates/slopes which means for anything other than detail work we can have those on the floor and just scrabble around, but always looking for better sorting options.

I really need a good drawer unit though for the small pieces

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
so most of your stuff is in sealable boxes? How are they stored in that cupboard behind you - does that let you pull out a lower box or are they just piled on top of each other?

Do you find it annoying to have to open lots of different boxes when you need pieces? We have open drawers for bricks/plates/slopes which means for anything other than detail work we can have those on the floor and just scrabble around, but always looking for better sorting options.

I really need a good drawer unit though for the small pieces

The little containers I buy are $1.84 per four at the local Walmart. If you're stateside, it's their cheapo brand food container. They don't seal super tight, so taking the lid on and off is a breeze. They also don't lock-stack and slide relatively well over one another, so it makes moving them around on top of one another a breeze.

When doing an MOC, I'll usually have an idea of what I'm wanting to do, and I build close enough to the shelf where it doesn't bother me to get up a lot. Once my fiance moves in and (eventually) get a home, I'm going to build a shelf setup that would allow me to keep them all open for quick access. Open top shelving/storage container setups are much more expensive than what I've done here - that was the biggest reason for doing it this way.

I bought a cheap Plano organizer for the really small pieces that I only have a few of. Eventually, I'll go to a stacked drawer style organizer, but the price for them vs what I paid for the Plano one makes it MUCH more worth it to go the Plano route. It really depends on what you want to spend, but as with anything, once you get used to your system, it becomes nearly second-nature.

jtkauff

Well, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge came back in stock at ToysRUs.com last night so I pulled the trigger. I'm not super keen on Tower Bridge but it was the only thing in stock that I wanted and would give me GE at half price. We'll see what else comes back in stock and I might see what I can return or exchange the Tower Bridge for another of the big sets (without losing the discount on GE, that is) if I'm able.

Super-excited to build the Grand Emporium though - it's my first modular. Hoping to be able to pick up the Fire Brigade come the turn of the month as well, should make for a nice little beginning of a modular street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom