• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The picture is already widescreen, so if you want the picture more widescreen... change the fucking standard for HDTV ratios. I can zoom in to get rid of black bars in a 2.40:1 movie and not miss shit going on because the little extra on the sides is not being cut off by much. It's not like there's a character on the side and he's now cut off because "LOL, 16x9"

Movies are shot and framed for a movie theater; they are not done so for your TV. What you're arguing for is content to be cut off. It's the old letterboxed argument from a 4:3 TV. It didn't fly then; it doesn't fly now. It's ignorance of what happens when you fill the screen.

Gbraga

This isn't really surprising, many of the most taxing and graphically intensive games will be 720p at the end of the next generation for both consoles.

I don't know anything about those things, but it's hard to believe they'd go back to 720p.

Noid

Neo Member
I read somewhere else that they created a bunch of "virtual lenses" to fake cinematic effects. I guess they just want to really give the game a "movie feel". If it's done well I'd probably like it.
Do we have any idea if this is an artistic or technical decision? Perhaps it´s both.

Are the platforms confirmed? I hope this will be possible to disable on the PC, because seriously...
Still would look silly on a monitor.

ApT997l.jpg

E: So its a Sony thing, why did I think of Bethesda?

Majanew

Banned
Movies are shot and framed for a movie theater; they are not done so for your TV. What you're arguing for is content to be cut off. It's the old letterboxed argument from a 4:3 TV. It didn't fly then; it doesn't fly now. It's ignorance of what happens when you fill the screen.

That's why I said change HDTV's.

Besides, The Order is a videogame that's being designed around HDTV's not theaters. No excuse to cut part of my screen off. I have zero problems getting a "cinematic experience" in videogames that fill my entire 1920x1080 screen.

nib95

Banned
Fucking hope not. I don't want any black bars. Seriously, fill up that screen. Black space is wasted space.

Zaventem

Do you honestly think that any developer is going to be pushing either of these consoles so hard this early that they couldn't reach 1080p? It's quite clear this is just a specific look that they're going for and not some sort of hardware limitation.

Right...

This is not a movie and it's not a camera lense. They can show whatever they want in all sorts of different angles and so forth and player is in control. It really is NOT the same.

They should have a wider FOV to accompany it, that's what I'm thinking of.

edit: if this is even done during gameplay.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
what??????????????????????????????????????????????????

The whole point of scope is the possibility of more interesting compositions, but the player is controlling the camera. They're going to be pointing it straight at whatever they think they need to shoot. It's dumb.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Besides, The Order is a videogame that's being designed around HDTV's not theaters. No excuse to cut part of my screen off. I have zero problems getting a "cinematic experience" in videogames that fill my entire 1920x1080 screen.

when people watch movies on their 16:9 tvs the black bar experience is what they get, and that's what the order guys want to emulate. that's the reason. you have every right to hate it but it's by no means lazy, it's a purely stylistic choice.

Why change HDTVs though? Movies are not all shot in that aspect ratio. Movies are shot in all sorts of aspect ratios. What aspect ratio do you pick when there is no standard?

Would this be correct? I feel I'm getting a similar effect, unless by squeezed you mean the first one is actually 16x9 instead of squeezing it to 16x9 after the fact.

I don't think so. I think what he means is that the PS4 would send a squashed image in 1920x800 that then gets stretched vertically before being displayed. So your 16:9 image in the comparison would still maintain the proper shape of everything(ie. no vertical stretching), but you'd have more image at the top and bottom than you would with 2.4:1. This image comparison for Avatar illustrates this:

p0rGz.jpg

Of course, since the original image is only 1920x800, the downside to using that resolution to fill a 16:9 screen would be a step down in visual fidelity compared to 1920x1080.

Personally, while I absolutely love 2.4:1 in films, I'm not terribly fond of devs using anything but 16:9 in their games. Films use 2.4:1 because they are made first and foremost for the cinema screen, where 2.4:1 is the common screen shape. Approaching the frame as if it is 'bigger and wider' than 16:9(as opposed to smaller like on your typical 16:9 TV) results in a very theatrical appearance as directors can fit so much information on screen.

Games are made primarily for 16:9 at this point. At the very most, save 2.4:1 for cut-scenes. Using the scope aspect ratio for the entirety of a game is indicative of the industry's rampant(and frustrating) rush to emulate films at all cost.

N2NOther

Banned
I mean I hate black bars in my Blu-ray movies. Not that it's for movie performance. Almost all HDTV's are not 2.40:1, so going this route with a game or movie is fucking stupid. Either change the theater's standard or HDTV's. I didn't buy a big HDTV just to have parts of the screen cut off.

It's not cut off. You sound like people who resisted widescreen presentations on CRTVs. Nothing in the image is cut off its the entire image. It's just wider than the TV. If they made TV's wide enough to accommodate this ratio then anything in 16:9 would have black bars on the sides. Or would be enlarged to the point where the image is actually being cut off in the top and bottom.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The whole point if scope is the possibility of more interesting compositions, but the player is controlling the camera. They're going to be pointing it straight at whatever they think they need to shoot. It's dumb.

the point of 2.4:1 is that it's what theater projectors use.

The player has control of the camera. Defeats the purpose.

Exactly. All this seems to be, along with the lens distortion fetishism they've mentioned, is good old fashioned cinema-envy. In a video game with a freely-controllable camera, there's really no reason for the aspect ratio not to be chosen by the player.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I sometimes play games on my projector screen at the resolution for PC games that support custom resolution.

It's a nice aspect ratio to game at.

Nafai1123

Banned
Do we actually have any proof that the game is going to be running in this resolution, or are people getting pissed off over a cinematic trailer being rendered with no evidence of how the game will actually run?

I love the 2:40:1 aspect ratio, but I know people will give it shit for daring to experiment with a new method of composition to the screenspace we use to game, just for having roots in film.

Majanew

Banned
It's not cut off. You sound like people who resisted widescreen presentations on CRTVs. Nothing in the image is cut off its the entire image. It's just wider than the TV. If they made TV's wide enough to accommodate this ratio then anything in 16:9 would have black bars on the sides. Or would be enlarged to the point where the image is actually being cut off in the top and bottom.

The SCREEN is being cut off not the image being displayed. My HDTV's screen is being cut off. There's nothing there but giant black bars. And on a 55" HDTV, they're fucking huge.

madmackem

I kind of like the idea, will be interesting to see how it looks and plays. I love people jumping on anything out of their comfy zone.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
they've said they're using the 2.4:1 ratio to emulate the look that movies have on a 16:9 tv, isn't that the whole way there? if so, please fll me in on the other half.

The other half is why people use it for movies, which doesn't apply here.

Exactly. All this seems to be, along with the lens distortion fetishism they've mentioned, is good old fashioned cinema-envy. In a video game with a freely-controllable camera, there's really no reason for the aspect ratio not to be chosen by the player.

Very good point. It's a shame the clowns in dev teams who pursue this 'cinematic' tosh in games weren't able to at least learn the extreme basics of filmmaking before dropping out of film school.

While they're at it, they should lock all the button inputs to either play or pause then the transition to being a friggin movie will be complete. Unless they are going to lock the camera and not allow the player any control over what they view then this artist's intent just comes off as pretentious horseshit to me.

Film allows for different canvases to be used based on what the director is going for. I understand something like David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia being in a wider aspect ratio due to the director wanting to capture the vastness of the desert and how small the characters were in relation to it. Or something like Spiderman that had a 1.85:1 aspect ratio because Raimi wanted to emphasize the height of the buildings Spiderman is swinging through. However, for something like a game where the player has control over the scene and is interacting with it, limiting the view in any way on the prominent 1.78:1 aspect ratio of HDTVs is dumb as hell to me. This game will have to be ultimately kick ass for me to even consider it after hearing this as I see no valid reason for wanting to reduce the viewing area allowed by the now standard HDTV aspect ratio.

And this is coming from someone who used to get into verbal battles on forums with people when DVD first came out and people were complaining about the black bars so much that studios started putting out pan and scan versions of movies. I had already gotten used to dealing with different aspect ratios in home viewing by getting into laserdisc so I have no problem with director intent and the whether they want to use CinemaScope, 1.85:1, 1.78:1, or even 1.33:1. But games are different from films and I don't see the need to mimic this as the benefits exhibited by using different size canvases when filming content for passive consumption is a lot different than a medium where the player can freely move the camera and create their own framing of the scenery. It's just dumb-headed wanna be filmmaker bullshit without understanding the difference between the mediums and how to better use the unique elements allowed by games.
Yeah they should have done a better job of explaining why they were doing this besides "lol because movies".

I guess we are starting to see how grossly underpowered the ps4 is.

Console has yet to come out and they are already cutting corners in games .

8byte

Banned
Couldn't care less. If it's a good game, it's a good game. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. The resultion dosen't change either of those things.

Wonko_C

Sine Mora did this. There are very few 16:9 horizontal STGs out there and these guys went even beyond that. It still doesn't beat the Datius arcade machines, though.

Cornbread78

I just want to see how the gameplays. Waaay too early to start bitching out the "cinematic frame" when the game could play like gold...

RPGCrazied

I won't mind if it means to rid of screen tearing. I hope to not see it this upcoming gen. There should be no excuse, specially with the hardware the PS4 and Xbone is packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom