• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren Gamepass subs dried up on xbox consoles long time ago

mrcroket

Switch 2 is not a sure bet for Nintendo. Switch 1 got its success in an era with non-existent or minimal competition on handheld devices…Now with Steamdeck and the other handhelds, they wont be the so successfuk as with Switch 1
Steamdeck (which is the most sold handheld pc by large) has only sold 3 millions, switch has sold over 132 millions, is the third best-selling console in history.
Nintendo in the portable market is untouchable, especially having exclusive sagas like pokemon, mario, animal crossing or zelda.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Switch 2 is not a sure bet for Nintendo. Switch 1 got its success in an era with non-existent or minimal competition on handheld devices…Now with Steamdeck and the other handhelds, they wont be the so successfuk as with Switch 1

Steam Deck and other PC handhelds target a different market. Plus current sales also won't worry Nintendo. Steam Deck sales are allegedly between 3 and 4 million units, the other handhelds have probably sold much less.

Topher

Gold Member
I would definitely be shitting myself if I was relying on Nintendo accounts to drive adoption of the Switch 2.

I guess I'm missing what is so concerning there. I guess it is possible Switch 2 to be a flop, but I certainly don't see that happening. If this is the rationale for making excuses for poor Xbox console adoption then I don't think it is a very good one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess I'm missing what is so concerning there. I guess it is possible Switch 2 to be a flop, but I certainly don't see that happening. If this is the rationale for making excuses for poor Xbox console adoption then I don't think it is a very good one.
I was just joking because my Nintendo account would be the very last reason I would buy a switch 2. The chances of them having updated versions of their switch games for free is basically zero and can't say I have a huge friends list (it's just my kids).

bitbydeath

I think consoles sales matter now and MS doesn't want to be in the business of selling consoles so they are trying to help steer it towards a hardware agnostic future. I think it is both because they arent good at selling hardware but also because it isnt a stable business, look at the crests and troughs nintendo have had, and it isnt that profitable unless you are Apple. We are heading there already - fortnite has become a gaming platform rather than a game, and it dominates play time.
Like Sega, MS will become more reliant on others (Sony and Nintendo) selling hardware.

tr1p1ex

I was just joking because my Nintendo account would be the very last reason I would buy a switch 2. The chances of them having updated versions of their switch games for free is basically zero and can't say I have a huge friends list (it's just my kids).
Sure... and yet anything that makes the transition smoother can only help drive adoption.

Remember they made the customer create new accounts in the Switch era from the Wii U and Wii era. Whole thing was messy. So they have a low bar to clear there. The other guys settled on an account system long ago.

For Nintendo it's going to be the first gen pretty much where most everything account related carries forward. And first gen where they continue a paid online service from the previous gen. ...

Hence their comments.

Last edited:

demigod

The Vita outsold all those pc handhelds combined, Nintendo handhelds still dominate. Switch 2 is 100% a sure bet.

Nintendo said that they would have gone bankrupt if the Switch hadn't been a success - 130 year gaming history, the biggest gaming IPs and they were one poor launch away from disappearing. Sega - gone. Commodore, Philips, Atari etc etc. Having your entire software business reliant on a subsidized hardware launch every 6 or so years is a pretty dangerous business, I am sure Nintendo are shitting their pants right now.
Gotta love it when Xbox fans lump Nintendo and Sony along with Xbox. First it was no disc next gen. Now it’s the next Nintendo/Sony hardware will fail. What’s next, Nintendo and Sony will go PC 3rd party along with Xbox?

S0ULZB0URNE

Just wait
fGaJy0j.gif

reinking

Gold Member
That's asking a lot. It's better to hope they are close to the other two than completely dominating the market. Sooner people accept this the easier it will be.
IMO that has been the problem with XBox from day one. They have never been in it to create a healthy market, or even a "healthy" install base. Their focus is always on dominating the market and the decisions they have made reflect that. The whole move to Game Pass was in reaction to not being able to dominate the console market. They shifted to try and dominate the streaming market by trying to cannibalize the console market. Unfortunately for them, they are cannibalizing their own sales and not Sony and Nintendo sales. That is why I sort of cringe when I see the "you better hope Xbox doesn't leave the console market" posts. Why? They are not the saviors of the market from the big bad Sony and Nintendo. Haven't they been caught saying they wanted to spend Sony out of business? I do think they have done some things right. MS bringing a focus back to PC games is fantastic and I love it. I just do not trust them any longer when it comes to consoles. That is not to say I want them out of the console market. I just would not be concerned about it if they decided to go third party.

Last edited:

Fake

Steamdeck (which is the most sold handheld pc by large) has only sold 3 millions, switch has sold over 132 millions, is the third best-selling console in history.
Nintendo in the portable market is untouchable, especially having exclusive sagas like pokemon, mario, animal crossing or zelda.

Switch and Steamdeck is like the definitive proof that your hardware can be good, but is the software that carry the hardware.

mrcroket

Switch and Steamdeck is like the definitive proof that your hardware can be good, but is the software that carry the hardware.
Branding, iconic sagas and exclusive games sell consoles. There is a lot of hate to nintendo but it's the only one that remains faithful to sell quality full games, polished at launch, without GAAS or always-online. And possibly the one that generates the most money from the sale of these games (plus hardware sales).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gotta love it when Xbox fans lump Nintendo and Sony along with Xbox. First it was no disc next gen. Now it’s the next Nintendo/Sony hardware will fail. What’s next, Nintendo and Sony will go PC 3rd party along with Xbox.
I don't think Switch 2 will fail, but the fact remains that Nintendo weren't planning for the WiiU to bomb either. And all the software capabilities, storied IP, 90+ metacritic etc are useless if you don't have an install base to sell your games on. And they still need to hit with the switch 3 and switch 4 and so on, and so on.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think Switch 2 will fail, but the fact remains that Nintendo weren't planning for the WiiU to bomb either. And all the software capabilities, storied IP, 90+ metacritic etc are useless if you don't have an install base to sell your games on. And they still need to hit with the switch 3 and switch 4 and so on, and so on.

yeah, but Nintendo was trying to figure out their post-Wii strategy and it turned out to be a mess. They don't have that problem with Switch. Microsoft doesn't have that same problem with Xbox either. But fact remains that Microsoft is the only company having a hard time selling hardware.

Top Bottom