• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren [The Verge]: "I know for a fact that there is a big one......that will be going to PlayStation"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
20220304-forspoken-adiamento.jpg

me-talladega.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
More than Halo Infinite (which is an F2P game), I think comparing Helldivers 2 with Sea of Thieves gives us a better picture.

Sea of Thieves is Xbox's biggest GaaS live-service success. And Helldivers already has 2x the all-time peak than Sea of Thieves all-time peak. And Helldivers 2 is going to set a new record today in a few hours.

5dyNdbr.jpg
rnXe862.jpg

And what's more interesting is that Helldivers 2 is by a small studio. Sea of Thieves is by Rare. Sony's big live-service games are actually incoming.

Sony seems all set with GaaS games, and this makes me wonder how games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves would perform on the PS5.

Rare has around 200 employees to Arrowhead’s 100. Neither are ‘big’ studios, relatively speaking.

Sea of Thieves launched on Steam 2 years after its Windows PC/PC Gamepass release, so nowhere near an apt comparison either.

More importantly, most estimates put it around 9 million units sold on Steam…really impressive numbers considering it’s a late port.

Personally, it's literally the only thing about Xbox that interests me.

If they were to release HB2 on PS5, they can do whatever else they want, for all I care.

Are going to ignore the "omfg these graphics, Sony is doomed, Game of the Gen" arguments when HB2 was announced?

The game has been hyped to hell by the Xbox fanbase.
Until it turned out it's going to be a cheaper digital-only release, with short game-length.
You're being silly now, Hellblade was a good game but didn't set the sales chart alight.
The Elder Scrolls 6? It's going to be a 2028 game or later but its a big one.
This should go multiplatform anyway it's a huge franchise and PS, Nintendo deserve to have it on their systems.

Mr Hyde

That's not really a big one though, it didn't even chart in the NPD top 20 the month it came out.

I was thinking more of what's synonymous with the Microsoft and Xbox brand. Like Halo or Gears. Tom mentions it would "surprise" people, and Flight Simulator I think would fit that bill.

twilo99

I would open up Halo Multiplayer ... top tier multiplayer game that can be an alternative for those who don't enjoy CoD

Free to play of course

Last edited:

omegasc

This should go multiplatform anyway it's a huge franchise and PS, Nintendo deserve to have it on their systems.
Exactly why I think it makes sense. It's big but not shocking, which I assume is a word Tom would have used. Starfield didn't make the boom they wanted to. It's not unanimously good. Halo would be shocking. Gears too.

Gojiira

Man can all these Xbots fuck off or consolidate into ONE fucking thread…Fuck me half the front page is these fucking rumours…

More than Halo Infinite (which is an F2P game), I think comparing Helldivers 2 with Sea of Thieves gives us a better picture.

Sea of Thieves is Xbox's biggest GaaS live-service success. And Helldivers already has 2x the all-time peak than Sea of Thieves all-time peak. And Helldivers 2 is going to set a new record today in a few hours.

5dyNdbr.jpg
rnXe862.jpg

And what's more interesting is that Helldivers 2 is by a small studio. Sea of Thieves is by Rare. Sony's big live-service games are actually incoming.

Sony seems all set with GaaS games, and this makes me wonder how games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves would perform on the PS5.
didn't know SoT was so small. especially when all xbox influencers keep saying is a massive success

Halo Infinite makes the most sense to me. Just like Sea of Thieves it is multiplayer first, needs a lot of players to justify developing content, and in terms of Gameplay it is an amazing place right now. It is also easy to monetize.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you consider that the key metrics for porting to PS are opportunity cost (i.e. is it built on a multi-plat engine), and does the property have a proven market on the target platform...

Pretty much everything MS have acquired over the past few years is on the menu.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you consider that the key metrics for porting to PS are opportunity cost (i.e. is it built on a multi-plat engine), and does the property have a proven market on the target platform...

Pretty much everything MS have acquired over the past few years is on the menu.

If that's your criteria then Halo and Forza are off the table.

twilo99

Porting single players games to PlayStation won't yield much I don't think.. I guess we shall see how the dance game does

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
"But I won't say what it is so I don't get called out on my made up bs".

There's only 3 "big ones" for Xbox: Halo, Gears, Forza.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Tom Henderson just tweeted that he's talking about Indiana Jones. This interview was recorded a few days ago, before all the rumors blew up.
I wonder....would Xbox fans be more okay if it was Indy instead of Starfield?

It seems like a weird "I hope it aint [insert game here]" vibe from some ppl.

I'm just sitting here waiting for MS to officially announce SoT going to PlayStation and/or Nintendo.

DeaDPo0L84

I hope it's Gears in some form. Not for console war bs (mostly play on pc), but maybe if it gains a huge new player base they'll focus more on the franchise.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If that's your criteria then Halo and Forza are off the table.

The only other mitigating factor I can think of is if they are a GaaS type offering, which could conceivably involve the Halo or Forza franchises.
Not a bad idea imho, as a successful F2P-style release could drive interest in the franchise back-catalog, only available on Xbox.

Spyxos

Gold Member
All the leakers are starting to get on my nerves and they should shut up if they're just guessing into the blue.

Top Bottom