• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren Gamepass subs dried up on xbox consoles long time ago

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Its been an idea forever but spin Xbox off into its own company. MS can sign a royalties deal to retain IP and provide start up cash. Then let them figure it out on their own and act as a 3rd party.
but I don't want MS keeping the IP. Waaaaah!

Baki

"Spend Sony out of business" was Matt Booty's goal. Microsoft is a public company beholden to shareholders and more important executives than Matt Booty.

If they force COD to become exclusive on a console that only has a third of the reach of PlayStation globally; a console where people brag about wait to NOT buy games because "I'll wait for Game Pass", shareholders and top level Microsoft executives are going to lose their shit.

Just because Microsoft has a massive warchest doesn't mean they can do whatever the fuck they want. Shareholders will absolutely decimate them if their decisions impact the bottom line. And taking COD away from the platform where it sells the most year after year will most certainly impact the bottom line.
Xbox division is a non factor when it comes to MS stock price. The cost of making COD exclusive (~$700M/year) would be negligible in the face of MS gigantic revenue and a non factor to investors. They definitely wanted the option of making ABK exclusive, which is why their first offer to Sony was a 3 year deal. There’s a lot more money in being a platform holder rather than a publisher. Make no mistake, they would rather have aggressively expanded their walled garden, but regulatory issues have forced a pivot.

Guess what Xbox. You need to sell hardware to get game pass subs....and to sell xbox consoles you need kick ass system selling games.

So ypu know what to do, to stop seeing game pass stall...

...release awesome games.

Phil replying to you:

stephen king no GIF

Awesome games don’t sell hardware…. (His words, not mine)

Still can’t believe that a boss of a big gaming company can say something so incredibly incompetent and stupid.

Last edited:

onQ123

You should all want Xbox to do well. The industry can only improve with decent competition.
You say this BS as if MS isn't trying to actively crash what was a healthy industry to become a leading provider of what's left of it .

What do you think would happen if everyone stopped buying games on other platforms like they have on Xbox?

The return on investment would be so low that no one would be putting big money into new games because it would take years for them to make any money.

Last edited:

Rubim

Phil replying to you:

stephen king no GIF

Awesome games don’t sell hardware…. (His words, not mine)

Still can’t believe that a boss of a big gaming company can say something so incredibly incompetent and stupid.
No this is not his word if you're referring to the podcast.

He was talking about people switching over from PS to XBOX because Starfield was going to be a great game.

"There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5s"​

Unless you're talking about a different quote, if that's the case, please tell me so i can correct this post.

SoraNoKuni

As a lot of people(myself included) said, GamePass never made sense as your main to have gaming hub.
Gaming is a hobby that requires a lot of time from the consumer, and involvement, I'd rather pay for my games that I know I'll play rather than do trial and error until It happens the service has something to offer.

Heck, the steam catalog of most people validates this, a lot of people have hundreds of unplayed games sitting for years, and they only play some of them.
I even unsubbed from PS extra.

What does 'hybrid arm' mean exactly? I'm heavily interested in them moving to arm and seeing what happens with efficiency Vs power, especially after having an M2 laptop for a while. Don't think many will buy another 'typical' high end console from MS after this gen.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The beginning of the end for Xbox was the absolute shit show they made of the last gen, i reckon many, like me who had xbox360's watched in utter dismay Xbox's pivot towards "multi media" whilst Sony came out swinging with not only a much more powerful system but were simply all about games games games. Once the horse had bolted r.e. perfomance disparity.. lol@720p there was no hope for MS to turn the negative tide and lots of us simply switched to the more powerful game focused system, this then created a snow ball effect that just grew bigger and bigger as more jumped ship and the casuals where all swept up in the positive press. Once the PS4 became such a runaway success it wouldnt have mattered a shit what Xbox did with their next generation, no matter how more powerful it was, we where already committed to years worth of software librarys so where never going to switch back

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The beginning of the end for Xbox was the absolute shit show they made of the last gen, i reckon many like me who had xbox360's watched in utter dismay Xbox's pivot towards "multi media" whilst Sony game out swinging with no only a much more powerful system but where simply all about games games games. Once the horse had bolted r.e. perfomance disparity there was no hope for MS to turn the negative tide and lots of us simply switched to the more powerful game focused system, this then created a snow ball effect that just grew bigger and bigger as more jumed ship and the casuals where all swept up in the positive press. Once the PS4 became such a runaway success it wouldnt have mattered a shit what Xbox done with their next generation no matter how more powerful it was, we where already committed to years worth of software libararys so where never going to switch back
Same. Switched from X360 to PS4 and never looked back because Xbox never game me any reason to.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's too late to turn it around this gen. PS5 is at 50 million which means over a third of the potential console market has made their choice... there's no stopping that momentum. Hellblade 2 and Indy may make a splash on social media and Steam but it's not going to set the console market on fire. Literally the only thing MS could do is buy GTA6 and make it Xbox Series exclusive (no PC launch, no PS5, nothing). I can't think of any other game that would even move the needle.
I didnt mean this gen. I was talking about next gen going forward.

Sony did the same thing with the PS3. They realized that it was a lost generation but didnt care and ended the gen strong with almost 4 strong years full of quality exclusives like the uncharted, god of war and killzone series. MS can do the same, earn the goodwill for the gen going forward. Something they did not do last gen as they went several years without any major exclusives between 2017-2020.

He was talking about people switching over from PS to XBOX because Starfield was going to be a great game.

"There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5s"​

Unless you're talking about a different quote, if that's the case, please tell me so i can correct this post.
Different quote yep. But also that is just a weird thing to say as a ceo of a mega corporation

Interfectum

I didnt mean this gen. I was talking about next gen going forward.

Sony did the same thing with the PS3. They realized that it was a lost generation but didnt care and ended the gen strong with almost 4 strong years full of quality exclusives like the uncharted, god of war and killzone series. MS can do the same, earn the goodwill for the gen going forward. Something they did not do last gen as they went several years without any major exclusives between 2017-2020.
Ah ok, yeah I agree. End the generation strong and move on to the next Xbox.

The ideal strategy for Microsoft would be to seamlessly integrate their Xbox and PC gaming services. The next upcoming Xbox model ought to support PC game versions at a specified performance level, similar to the Steam Deck. This approach should prioritize user-friendliness, surpassing even the Steam Deck and Microsoft could implement a certification system for the Xbox version, ensuring a smooth experience that doesn't feel like merely playing a PC port.

Last edited:

Here it is: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil...-games-would-help-xboxs-market-share.1656206/

Timestamped and everything. Later in the interview he tells about Starfield, but first he’s saying creating great games will not increase market share which equals selling consoles

Last edited:

GHG

That's basically what his message was.

And why do people need to sell their PS5 (or any other platform they currently game on) in order to get an Xbox if Starfield was an 11/10? Thats clearly his inner fanboy talking and he forgot the fact that nearly half of PS5 owners also own a Switch.

This clown expects people to game on his subpar Xbox consoles and nowhere else. That's not how it works in reality.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You say this BS as if MS isn't trying to actively crash what was a healthy industry to become a leading provider of what's left of it .

What do you think would happen if everyone stopped buying games on other platforms like they have on Xbox?

The return on investment would be so low that no one would be putting big money into new games because it would take years for them to make any money.
Do you think that Xbox players aren't playing games like BG3 and Elden Ring and the other games that aren't a part of GP?

Sure, the top 50 most played list has a lot of GP games on it because a lot of users do have the service, but most of the big games are represented there as well.

Last edited:

Rubim

Here it is: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil...-games-would-help-xboxs-market-share.1656206/

Timestamped and everything. Later in the interview he tells about Starfield, but first he’s saying creating great games will not increase market share which equals selling consoles
Again my point i think it still that's not exactly he said.

He said and i quote:
"When you're third place..."
"..and i see it out there, i see commentary that if you just built great games everything will turn around.."

He's still right, you wont see a big dramatic shift on the console share. It would obviously benefit the platform as a whole.

The only possible solution does not depends ONLY on that. You have to build great games WHILE your competitor fail to do so. Cause even if Xbox starts releasing great titles, you would still not have a reason to shift if you're conformable with your current console.

DaGwaphics

The numbers says they are not

Do they? Please let me know what the ratios are for active users : copies sold on the systems and we can make an accurate comparison of player motivations.

We know that Xbox has less active users, what you're saying is that the active users they have are less motivated to spend $ on games. I haven't seen that from any information released, please provide links. You certainly don't see it from the numbers released on Fortnite and CoD.

Last edited:

onQ123

Do they? Please let me know what the ratios are for active users : copies sold on the systems and we can make an accurate comparison of player motivations.

We know that Xbox has less active users, what you're saying is that the active users they have are less motivated to spend $ on games. I haven't seen that from any information released, please provide links.
The fact that you're even trying to play this game let's me know you're not worth carry this conversation with

DaGwaphics

The fact that you're even trying to play this game let's me know you're not worth carry this conversation with

Well, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. We know that the CoD and Fortnite numbers that have been released are in opposition to what you are saying (those show a smaller but more potent users base which is typical since Xbox has fewer "casual" players at this point). I'm just trying to get a read on where you are coming from.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That's basically what his message was.

And why do people need to sell their PS5 (or any other platform they currently game on) in order to get an Xbox if Starfield was an 11/10? Thats clearly his inner fanboy talking and he forgot the fact that nearly half of PS5 owners also own a Switch.

This clown expects people to game on his subpar Xbox consoles and nowhere else. That's not how it works in reality.
Phil must pay for his sins.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

NickFire

Well, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. We know that the CoD and Fortnite numbers that have been released are in opposition to what you are saying (those show a smaller but more potent users base which is typical since Xbox has fewer "casual" players at this point). I'm just trying to get a read on where you are coming from.
Saying games don't sell on Xbox is a little hyperbolic, but on the other hand we have so many sales threads that I can't understand why the general claim (that they don't sell as well) would be challenged.

DaGwaphics

Fornite released their figures in the trial with Epic. It showed that there are more users on PS (of course) and more total dollars coming from PS, but Xbox users were spending more on average (as were Nintendo's). When ABK broke down their numbers in some slides a few years ago the result were the same there. Less $ from Xbox but more $ per user. I haven't seen anything yet where it has shown that Xbox players are adverse to spending money. It might be out there, that's why I asked for the links.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Fornite released their figures in the trial with Epic. It showed that there are more users on PS (of course) and more total dollars coming from PS, but Xbox users were spending more on average (as were Nintendo's). When ABK broke down their numbers in some slides a few years ago the result were the same there. Less $ from Xbox but more $ per user. I haven't seen anything yet where it has shown that Xbox players are adverse to spending money. It might be out there, that's why I asked for the links.
Oh I thought there was something new, anything current? And Fortnite is free to play (along with CoD Warzone crap). Buying games? Ew! Who does that?

DaGwaphics

Oh I thought there was something new, anything current? And Fortnite is free to play (along with CoD Warzone crap). Buying games? Ew! Who does that?

People are spending more on those free games than most of the successful paid games put together. LOL

I'm personally extremely cheap, but I don't think that holds for all Xbox users. Plus, I play on PS and PC as well and I'm equally frugal on those. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Again my point i think it still that's not exactly he said.

He said and i quote:
"When you're third place..."
"..and i see it out there, i see commentary that if you just built great games everything will turn around.."

He's still right, you wont see a big dramatic shift on the console share. It would obviously benefit the platform as a whole.

The only possible solution does not depends ONLY on that. You have to build great games WHILE your competitor fail to do so. Cause even if Xbox starts releasing great titles, you would still not have a reason to shift if you're conformable with your current console.

potato GIF

If you’re a fan of literal wording sure, like that blue guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, but increasing market share because of great games means selling more consoles, otherwise you can’t increase market share in the sense that he’s talking about.

He also literally says: Creating great games doesn’t increase market share.

But he says a lot there in the time span of a few minutes and it all sounds samey.

If he thinks the growth is on PC Gamepass he's quite a bit delusional.

Most of the PC userbase won't even play the free games on Epic Store because of the experience there being worse in comparison to Steam... Who in their right mind thinks a large enough number of people will pay a subscription fee to play games on the Microsoft Store, which is remarkably worse than even Epic's?

The subscription is simply too expensive for casual players and the store is too shitty for the hardcore crowd.

Not to mention PC gets sales all the time. Their are daily sales from some website offering steam keys. PC doesn't need GP as much as console does where there is no competition.

Rubim

potato GIF

If you’re a fan of literal wording sure, like that blue guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, but increasing market share because of great games means selling more consoles, otherwise you can’t increase market share in the sense that he’s talking about.

He also literally says: Creating great games doesn’t increase market share.

But he says a lot there in the time span of a few minutes and it all sounds samey.
I dont think it will. It has too many variables right now to be dependent on that.

They do have Bethesda / Obsidian / Activision Blizzard who are more than capable of doing the great games lineup. With Xbox you just have to keep playing the waiting game.

Kdad

The beginning of the end for Xbox was the absolute shit show they made of the last gen, i reckon many, like me who had xbox360's watched in utter dismay Xbox's pivot towards "multi media" whilst Sony came out swinging with not only a much more powerful system but were simply all about games games games. Once the horse had bolted r.e. perfomance disparity.. lol@720p there was no hope for MS to turn the negative tide and lots of us simply switched to the more powerful game focused system, this then created a snow ball effect that just grew bigger and bigger as more jumped ship and the casuals where all swept up in the positive press. Once the PS4 became such a runaway success it wouldnt have mattered a shit what Xbox did with their next generation, no matter how more powerful it was, we where already committed to years worth of software librarys so where never going to switch back
The beginning of the end was Kinect and trying to broaden their appeal to catch the Wii draft...they were left fucking bereft of ideas when that petered out. To end that era only tied with PS3 given the huge advantages they had at launch is inexcusable.

MacReady13

To end that era only tied with PS3 given the huge advantages they had at launch is inexcusable.
Agree but I believe they ended up losing in the end! Fact is, Sony knew the PS3 was in trouble so what did they do? They didn't give up like Spencer did- they went out and made great fucking exclusives and got people back on board the PlayStation train! They ended the PS3 with some great momentum heading into the PS4. What did Microsoft do? Release Kinect and force it on everyone and halt momentum completely ruining whatever chances their next console had of competing with the PS4.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Power is more reliable to me than internet. Also with internet you have two points of failure instead of one. Instead of just needing power, now you need internet too.

And power is power. For most people in 1st world countries, there are no different qualities of power. There is for the internet. Not all broadband internet is the same.

Regardless state of the brand or sales, a videogame service has a much lower ceiling than a regular streaming service. Sony and MS should know that they will hit it around 50 million users so permanently releasing AAA games day one makes zero business sense. There is no more room for growth. The only reason for MS to push for this was to change consumers' habits, but the drop in quality has been so big that people realized it wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom