• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC Davis officer that Pepper Sprayed protestors awarded $38k

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy of the NY Times.

NY Times said:
A former University of California policeman who stirred public outrage by pepper-spraying peaceful student protesters has been awarded $38,000 in worker's compensation for psychiatric damage he claimed to have suffered from the 2011 incident, the university said on Wednesday.

Then-campus police Lieutenant John Pike came to symbolize law enforcement aggression against anti-Wall Street protests at the time when video footage widely aired on TV and the Internet showed him casually dousing demonstrators in the face with a can of pepper spray as they sat on the ground.

A scathing 190-page report on the incident found that university officials and UC Davis police used poor judgment and excessive force in the confrontation. And the incident was widely mocked in satirical messages posted on the Internet in which still photos of Pike wielding his pepper spray were inserted into famed works or art or pop culture images.

In June of this year, Pike himself filed a worker's compensation claim with UC Davis over the incident, saying he suffered unspecified psychiatric and nervous system damage, though the document did not explain how he claimed to have been harmed, records show.

On October 16, the state Division of Workers Compensation Appeals Board agreed to resolve his claim by paying him a settlement totaling $38,055, UC Davis spokesman Andy Fell said on Wednesday.

Lest we forget
. And the original thread.

tumblr_lv1a90VZyY1r4p9vso5_500.jpg

tumblr_lv1avddxpj1qielg7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lv019hswvX1r6m1z5o1_400.jpg

Burt

We should probably reimburse all criminals for the psychological harm done by outrage against them due to their actions. Prison time, too. It's not right for us to comment on their life choices when we've never walked their path.

Bodacious

Banned
Apparently California is one of those states that still lets you file a workers comp claim for alleged mental issues. Most states AFAIK restrict workers comp claims to physical injuries resulting directly from performing your job.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
$38k for feeling bad for being treated like the asshole you are? How fucked up. He deserved to be harassed and shamed for what he did, and now it all means nothing.

Effnine

Come on guys, he only made $110K in 2010, how is he supposed to live off that!!!!!

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that Pike had earned more than $110,000 from his job in 2010 ...

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Absolutely disgraceful. The militarization of American police continues and I'm not sure how we can fight back as citizens.

We have police officers acting as if they're part of the Marine Corps fighting the Taliban as opposed to peaceful college protesters.

Chichikov

Absolutely disgraceful. The militarization of American police continues and I'm not sure how we can fight back as citizens.
Smartphones with auto video upload.
Film everything.

10 years ago there wouldn't even been outrage about UC Davis and the kid would've been probably charge with resisting arrest and attacking an officer.

epmode

This was related to Occupy, wasn't it? Even though it had an unfocused message, it's a shame that it was shut down so quickly.

edit: Hi NSA!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

We have police officers acting as if they're part of the Marine Corps fighting the Taliban as opposed to peaceful college protesters.

I'm usually not into the Alex Jones shit, but those guys are at least partially right about the militarization of police being a problem.

Fantasmo

Oh man, according to this I can file reports on my family, bad friends, all kinds of people. Eh, no.

Let's be real, this guy is a dick, and I say give him the money, but never let him work in law enforcement ever again.

Time to go buddy, mall cop at best, you're gone, why? Because I said so. Byeeeeee!

We should probably reimburse all criminals for the psychological harm done by outrage against them due to their actions. Prison time, too. It's not right for us to comment on their life choices when we've never walked their path.
Not a bad analogy.

WedgeX

Banned
Sooooooo how much compensation did those protestors get?

According to the article:

The university last fall agreed to pay $1 million to settle a lawsuit brought on behalf of the 21 students who got sprayed and later reported suffering panic attacks, trauma and academic problems as a result.

So about $47000 per student.

Chichikov

And then get arrested and have your phone confiscated for illegally video recording a police officer on the job!
You can't get arrested for that, some states tried to pass a law banning it but it was stricken by the courts.
Sure, the cops can take your phone, but if you set it to auto-upload, you got that covered.
Also, if you get arrested or anything, the ACLU would love to take your case pro-bono, they are dying to get an affirmative decision from the Supreme Court on that issue (so far the Supreme Court only refused to hear appeals to lower court decisions on the subject).

Edit: yeah, if you're minority you might want to let a couple of white kids try it first, you know, just to be on the safe side.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Smartphones with auto video upload.
Film everything.

10 years ago there wouldn't even been outrage about UC Davis and the kid would've
been probably charge with resisting arrest and attacking an officer.

I absolutely agree that camera phones are a useful tool against his corruption, but even then I've seen videos where the cops see you videotape them during a traffic/"crime" stop they will assault you and harass you.

I'm usually not into the Alex Jones shit, but those guys are at least partially right about the militarization of police being a problem.

I'm not a Alex Jones fan either, in fact I despise the dude. The New York Times and WSJ have had great articles about how cops in America are increasingly acting like they're the military.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323848804578608040780519904

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/s...e-become-militarized.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Chichikov

I absolutely agree that camera phones are a useful tool against his corruption, but even then I've seen videos where is cops see you videotape them during a traffic/"crime" stop they will assault you and harass you.
I'm not saying it's going to be easy or friction free, but it's doable, and if enough people do it frequently enough so their expectation is that they're being filmed, they're going to have to change their ways.
Long term this is going to be beneficial to both society and the police.

WillyFive

This was related to Occupy, wasn't it? Even though it had an unfocused message, it's a shame that it was shut down so quickly.

It was pretty well focused for something that size, it's just that opponents wanted to paint is as unfocused. Specifics varied from location, but it was all the same general thing (inequality).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom