• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Pranay

UAIPA.jpg

Information ->

Developer: SCE Bend Studio
Platform : PS Vita
Release date:JP December 17, 2011, NA February 22, 2012, EU February 22, 2012
Genre: Third Person Action
Mode: Single-player
Price - 5980 Yen [Retail] and 4900 Yen [PSN]

Box Art ->

Uncharted_Golden_Abyss.png
wzhts.jpg

About the Game ->

Uncover the dark secret behind the 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as Nathan Drake follows the murderous trail of an ancient and secret Spanish sect in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Caught in the middle of a rivalry between Jason Dante -- his old friend -- and Marisa Chase -- the granddaughter of an archaeologist who has mysteriously vanished without a trace -- Nathan Drake races into the treacherous river basins, undiscovered temple ruins and karst caverns of Central America in search of a legendary lost city, only to find himself pushed to the edge of the Golden Abyss.

Developed by award-winning Sony Bend Studio, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the portable system debut of the multi-million selling Uncharted franchise. The game offers a cinematic experience on-the-go complete with industry-leading motion capture, a rich storyline, highly-detailed environments, and special effects that truly captures the look and feel of the Uncharted universe.

Story is written by John Garvin.

Also The Game is expected to be 10hrs+ long. Slightly bigger then uncharted 3.

Features ->

It will keep the level of gameplay that has characterized the series Uncharted. Drake controls are the same for PS3 games but adapted: the X to jump, or to shield, to target the L and R to shoot. The square senses that will be to hit the triangle but could lose its function for the touch on the touch screen.

Note that tactile functions are optional.

->Balancing the console to give movement to Drake at certain times
->Drake movement using the touch screen to climb walls
->Stealth attacks by tapping on the screen
->Ascend and descend by rope to the rear of the device sensors
->To collect ammunition will touch the screen
->Pointing mode by moving the guns to target console
->Touches on the small screen to overcome obstacles with a jump
->Clean "touch screen objects that we encounter (up those dusters to dust!)
->Inclusion of the camera mode (in 1st person view and image capture)
->Zoom camera with touchscreen
->Photo capture and Drake book
->Melee combat with touch sensors
->Help raise a passenger by touching the screen
->Raise obstacles to the screen
->Tilt and touch screen for movement
->Drake movement while hanging
->Use the machete to cut through
->Maintain balance by balancing the Vita PS
->Navigation in the menu by touch

Credits - Elotrolado Wiki Page [Spannish]

Characters ->

Nathan Drake

130px-0%2C720%2C0%2C637-Th.gen.jpg

Nathan "Nate" Drake is an American treasure hunter and fortune seeker, deep-sea salvage expert and action pro, and the playable protagonist of the Uncharted series. He believes himself to be the descendant of famous English explorer Sir Francis Drake.

Marisa Chase

130px-0%2C789%2C0%2C698-Marisa_Chase.jpg

Marisa Chase is a character set to appear in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. She is the granddaughter of an archeologist who has mysteriously vanished without a trace. She is involved in a rivalry with Jason Dante, an old friend of Nathan Drake.

Jason Dante

130px-0%2C250%2C0%2C221-Jason_Dante.png

Jason Dante is a character set to appear in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. He is an old friend of Nathan Drake. He will be assisting Nate on his journey to a lost city in Central America. He is involved in a rivalry with Marisa Chase.

Roberto Guerro

130px-0%2C168%2C0%2C149-Roberto_Guerro.png

This is the antagonist of the story. It will be the team to beat in this new installment of Uncharted since Aguero is a former military leader of a revolutionary group in the middle of the rainforest.

Screenshots ->
kbdYHmhSnuXx87.jpg
kmViYveBLFsuv.jpg
kzReypPGi1nDU.jpg
kbrjHLQRyJn7fU.jpg

kzgQ1WQWZNWUn.jpg
k7hwxqIY2VgBe.jpg
kbzfhvhv2M0T0l.jpg
kbiSCpQbU0LNTK.jpg

Trailers ->
Official Trailer
Uncharted: Golden Abyss [Full demo TGS 2011]
Gameplay Trailer
Official Japanese Trailer Preview
Feature Trailer

ibaVomPUSsxse0.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
if you guys have a better thread title do tell me, couldnt think of a good one.

not for the ones who are importing it =D

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| So many chests of treasures in just two hands...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Have they revealed the actors that are playing the other characters, or am I to assume that Nolan North is playing all of them?

Derrick01

Banned
10 hours is like 2.5-3 hours longer than Uncharted 3 took me on normal. I just hope it's as fun as 2 and 3 was but I'm worried with the weaker system they won't be able to go as over the top with the setpieces and action.

Magnus

What in the world...this is actually releasing two months earlier in Japan? I know the VITA's out there sooner, but I just imagined this'd be a worldwide release.

Derrick01

Banned
Brazil said:
Looks good, has Nolan North, is Uncharted.

Will pick it up eventually, despite the awful animations.

Well I guess that partly answers my concerns in my previous post....ah well I shouldn't be expecting much from a handheld game anyway let alone a launch game.

TripOpt55

Can't wait for this game. I will be waiting for the US launch. Is there a trophy list for this? Kind of curious if they are similar to the console games. I really like that new thing this game has where you get reference photos and you have to find where they are to take the same pictures. It is like a new collectible type of thing. Seems cool to me.

Takao

Banned
Oh man...it's like Sony didn't bother making sure the animations we at least close to as good as previous Uncharted titles.

Bend doesn't have the resources to make animations to the degree Naughty Dog has. Bend's a much, much smaller studio.

Instead of The Last of Us, maybe Sony should've gotten Naughty Dog to make games in their own franchise...

Guevara

Quick impressions from the Vita Social Club (SF):

1. Looks and sounds fucking crazy. Really nice graphics, very much of the home console style. It's awesome just to hear the Uncharted theme on the game menu.

2. I love tracing routes to climb, etc. using the touchscreen. Works great and avoids the "I didn't mean to jump there" regret when you plunge to your death.

3. Moving the console around physical space to view the game environment is awesome, but takes a little getting used to. The gyro-aiming controls are a game changer for bad snipers like me.

I thought the animations were fine in the two levels I played (Chapters 4 & 10 respectively). Chapter 4 was mostly the usual climbing while Chapter 10 was gunplay. Both used the touchscreen in some aspect.

Probably the weird thing was the auto-reloading for part of Chapter 10, but it might've been for the demo. Oh and the lag in the second stick for the camera was really bad.

Other than that, it was Uncharted. Mostly was amused due to Nolan pitching his voice a bit higher for Drake to sound younger.

And yes, played this at the Vita Social Club in SF.

Massa

Bend doesn't have the resources to make animations to the degree Naughty Dog has. Bend's a much, much smaller studio.

Instead of The Last of Us, maybe Sony should've gotten Naughty Dog to make games in their own franchise...

I'm glad Sony understands that forcing Naughty Dog to just make one game is a great way to lose all the talent there.

Takao

Banned
I'm glad Sony understands that forcing Naughty Dog to just make one game is a great way to lose all the talent there.

I'd rather Naughty Dog actually make a handheld game, and allow Bend to make their own new IP, or resurrect Syphon Filter. I don't think it's fair at all that Bend's seemingly being forced to do these PS3 to handheld games.

Massa

I'd rather Naughty Dog actually make a handheld game, and allow Bend to make their own new IP, or resurrect Syphon Filter. I don't think it's fair at all that Bend's seemingly being forced to do these PS3 to handheld games.

I think Bend is fine making these wonderful games they keep making.

Oh man...it's like Sony didn't bother making sure the animations we at least close to as good as previous Uncharted titles.

Why do people even expect Bend to be as good as ND? This is a pretty good effort for Bend. It's a bit unfair for a Bend handheld game to be compared to a ND console game.

Nobody should tell ND what to do other than ND.

DiscoJer

This is actually the problem the PSP had. When the PSP got a spin off of a PS3 (or PS2) game, it usually had a fraction of the budget, so when people would compare it to the console version, it would always come up short

Instead of being compared to other games on portables, Vita games are going to be compared to PS3 games. And usually come up short (then again, if they are multiplatform games where the PS3 port was awful, maybe it's a plus?)

They should've had Naughty Dog make The Last of Us as a Vita exclusive. Especially if it had co-op play, maybe extend it to 4 players and try to get a MH thing going on in the West, where people meet up in real life to play games locally....

Why do people even expect Bend to be as good as ND? This is a pretty good effort for Bend. It's a bit unfair for a Bend handheld game to be compared to a ND console game.

I would actually say because Bend is a great developer? At least when they aren't being forced to work on other developer's IP. If they had the budget ND did, I'm sure they'd have equal, if not superior, results

leng jai

This is actually the problem the PSP had. When the PSP got a spin off of a PS3 (or PS2) game, it usually had a fraction of the budget, so when people would compare it to the console version, it would always come up short

Instead of being compared to other games on portables, Vita games are going to be compared to PS3 games. And usually come up short (then again, if they are multiplatform games where the PS3 port was awful, maybe it's a plus?)

They should've had Naughty Dog make The Last of Us as a Vita exclusive. Especially if it had co-op play, maybe extend it to 4 players and try to get a MH thing going on in the West, where people meet up in real life to play games locally....

Why would ND make The Last of Us on a portable when they've stated themselves they're going to push for an even more cinematic experience than Uncharted?

But then you would have every other Vita game being compared to TLOU from ND, that's not going to end well either. It's not just a matter of budget, it's a matter of the level of talent and attention to detail. ND is simply a top-tier developer.

I would actually say because Bend is a great developer? At least when they aren't being forced to work on other developer's IP. If they had the budget ND did, I'm sure they'd have equal, if not superior, results

Even with the same budget I doubt Bend can achieve equal, let alone superior, results. It's not fair to Bend to expect them to be as good as Naughty Dog.

I thought they would just re-use the assets from Naughty to make the game for cheap.

They are. There's just a lot less polish in there to make them look as great as they usually do, as the budget is that much smaller.

SCEE PSN has a 10 minute walkthrough of the game up and it looks great. If I heard it correctly though, are most of the encounters possible to get through only using stealth? That's what it sounded like the narrator was saying but my attention does tend to drift when watching gameplay videos.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think they really need apologizing. They look fine for what they are. I'm on my phone so I can't scrub, but it's not like it's re1.

More important than the effects on bend being forced to do bitch work over and over are the effects on naughty dog. It would bother me if I were a dog that someone is touching my things. Like really bother me.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bit of the demo at Yodobashi Camera in Osaka. It looks like an Uncharted game but I only played it for a few minutes, I was more interested in the gravity game and Hot Shots 6.

ZoddGutts

Bend is a great studio. They've made great games despite the limited budget and hardware they had to work on. Shame mediocre studios like Guerrilla get huge budgets to produce mediocre games. But hey at least Guerrilla games are at least pretty to look at, shame about the gameplay in their games.

Top Bottom